Super-Clydes and tubeless?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Super-Clydes and tubeless?

Checking to see if there are any really big riders out there using tubeless setups without any issues. I gained a bunch over the holidays, but I am more thinking about running tubeless on our tandem Pugsley. Combined we are around 300 pounds. I will be using RD rims, most likely split-tube style. Any problems or concerns?
    "Wait- I am confused" - SDMTB'er

mtbr member
    I don't think you'll have any problems. :-)

turtles make me hot
    I'm running split tubeless Knard and Bud on Clownshoes year round and I weigh about 250 currently. I ride as hard and fast as I can and have never had a burp or anything.
    Whole combination has been trouble free.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    You will be fine...get Mulefuts if too nervous. I went from split tube Darryl to Mulefut and will never look back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    You will be fine...get Mulefuts if too nervous. I went from split tube Darryl to Mulefut and will never look back.
    Mulefut's are an excellent, budget-friendly tubeless-ready wheel!

bigger than you.
    270, sometimes more with gear. I've been tubeless for 3 years, I've never had an issue.

mtbr member
    I would think you would benefit just as much or more from tubeless than the little guys.
    To appreciate the flowers you must also walk among s**t to know the difference

mtbr member
    I'm 300 without gear. I swapped my new Bontrager Jackalopes with hodags to tubeless and ran about 6psi yesterday on sand and rock. Not a single burp.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I am sticking with my RD's as they are already bought and paid for, plus they can be laced asym for use on my Pugs tandem. Thanks for all the replies.
    "Wait- I am confused" - SDMTB'er

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I just bought a demo Salsa Blackborow and it is set up with Tubeless Clownshoes running Lous. I am new to all this tubeless stuff. I am a 285 clydesdale... I normally carry a patch kit and a spare tube. What should I carry in my pack with tubeless? I have an irrational fear of being stuck out in the middle of nowhere and having to walk out.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Mochamaker View Post
    I just bought a demo Salsa Blackborow and it is set up with Tubeless Clownshoes running Lous. I am new to all this tubeless stuff. I am a 285 clydesdale... I normally carry a patch kit and a spare tube. What should I carry in my pack with tubeless? I have an irrational fear of being stuck out in the middle of nowhere and having to walk out.
    Know what? I have been split tubeless on Clownshoes for three years now and have never had any problem. I do bring a tube with me when I am going to be on long rides in unfamiliar areas. Haven't needed it yet.
    I run a lot of sealant in my tubeless fat tires.
    I like turtles

bigger than you.
    I'm 15 pounds lighter than you and carried a tube with me for years, but I haven't carried a tube in quite a while and don't really see the need to. Unless you're in remote areas of wilderness or riding trail that is strewn with Sharp rocks, you should be fine. If you have to carry a tube I'd suggest getting a Q tubes superlight downhill tube and strapping it beneath your seat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    270, sometimes more with gear. I've been tubeless for 3 years, I've never had an issue.
    me too
    Yamaguchi Cross YT Jeffsy Salsa Mukluk & Vaya Canyon Commuter

Trying to be helpful
    Im currently @280, run Maxxis Minion FBF & FBR 4.8's tubeless on Mulefut rims, no issues.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5CA

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm at ~360, I just converted my RD's and 27tpi Nates to tubeless. Had to sew up an inch wide gash in the tread and boot it with gorilla tape, but it's all holding up very well at my weight. Tubeless is absolutely not for any specific weight range, as I am on the extreme range for cyclists.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    Checking to see if there are any really big riders out there using tubeless setups without any issues. I gained a bunch over the holidays, but I am more thinking about running tubeless on our tandem Pugsley. Combined we are around 300 pounds. I will be using RD rims, most likely split-tube style. Any problems or concerns?

How has this worked out for you, on your tandem pugs?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    So tonight was riding in the snow, 8 degrees, and ungroomed trails with lots of walker and runner traffic prior to me so lots of bouncing. I was running about 4PSI and I burped and flatted. Was able to pump for about 10 minutes and ride out, but was a bit concerned. Anyone have issues with burps in the cold temps? Riding Clownshoes and Lous. The tubeless set up was done by the LBS before I bought it. It was the managers bike before I bought it.

So tonight was riding in the snow, 8 degrees, and ungroomed trails with lots of walker and runner traffic prior to me so lots of bouncing. I was running about 4PSI and I burped and flatted. Was able to pump for about 10 minutes and ride out, but was a bit concerned. Anyone have issues with burps in the cold temps?
    Which rim and tire?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Clownshoes and Lou's. On a Salsa Blackborow.

Clownshoes and Lou's. On a Salsa Blackborow.

No surprise at all, regardless of rider weight. Those aren't tubeless tires, and they aren't tubeless rims. Sure, they can be made to work using "ghetto" methods, but those methods rely on many layers of tape and a certain amount of pressure. Compress the tape or drop the pressure and you get what you got -- air loss at an inopportune moment.

Glad you were able to pump it back up and ride out.

The only way to guarantee tubeless success is with tubeless-ready rims like the MuleFut, Jackalope, HED B.A.D., or a few of the carbon options.

Elitest thrill junkie
    So tonight was riding in the snow, 8 degrees, and ungroomed trails with lots of walker and runner traffic prior to me so lots of bouncing. I was running about 4PSI and I burped and flatted. Was able to pump for about 10 minutes and ride out, but was a bit concerned. Anyone have issues with burps in the cold temps? Riding Clownshoes and Lous. The tubeless set up was done by the LBS before I bought it. It was the managers bike before I bought it.
    4PSI for two wheels supporting 350lbs? Assuming this isn't through 6" of powder. Yeah, that's a recipe for a burp. Also, did you measure the PSI when it was 8 degrees?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    So do i bag the tubeless for the winter and put tubes back in? If I ride groomed trails at the local nordic trails, or fatbike groomers in Winthrop, I will have to drop the pressure quite a bit to be able to stay within the rules. I rode all winter last year with tubes, 3.7 tires, and less than 4 psi when needed. I may pull the tires apart and see how they converted them to tubeless?

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    295/6" ride pretty hard with no issues, better result with a tough casing

mtbr member
    You and I might have the same problem that Mike's getting at - on my 29er, I had rims - MTX33 - that worked tubeless 'ghetto' style. It wasn't made for it, but people were successful with them online.

I kept on getting burps at pressures that made sense. All the people that were successful were quite a bit smaller.

I tried re-doing the tubeless several ways, but eventually had to give up on tubeless with those wheels. The extra stress of being so big was just too much - the rim and tire interface wasn't snug enough.

My fatbike now has tubes and tires that are tubeless specific - Nextie carbon rims and Dillinger 5 tires - and it's flawless.

You might want to consider swapping out those rims for Mulefuts.
    Yamaguchi Cross YT Jeffsy Salsa Mukluk & Vaya Canyon Commuter

bigger than you.
    So do i bag the tubeless for the winter and put tubes back in? If I ride groomed trails at the local nordic trails, or fatbike groomers in Winthrop, I will have to drop the pressure quite a bit to be able to stay within the rules. I rode all winter last year with tubes, 3.7 tires, and less than 4 psi when needed. I may pull the tires apart and see how they converted them to tubeless?
    What Mike see was getting at is that tubeless success is dependent upon your rims and tires, which in your case, neither are tubeless compatible. You may have better results using a tubeless compatible tire on your rims or your present tires on tubeless compatible rims, but the only surefire way is to use a tubeless rim AND tire combo. Barring that, at your weight, you may have better results with a slightly higher pressure.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    4PSI for two wheels supporting 350lbs? Assuming this isn't through 6" of powder. Yeah, that's a recipe for a burp. Also, did you measure the PSI when it was 8 degrees?
    I did not, I tested when I left the unheated 32 degree garage at 8PSI, when I got to where i rode it was much softer, (and 8 degrees) I didn't take the time to test, I have ridden at 4PSI before and it was very similar. Next time I'll be more vigilant and test or air up.

Thanks everyone else, new rims are not an option right now, I guess if I continue to have issues, I'll dump the tubeless for the winter and go back to tubes. My goal is to get a second set of 27 1/2 or 29's to ride in the summer, so running tubes in the winter wouldn't kill me. I just want to be able to ride. By the way, since my original post in this thread, I'm down to 270, so kuddos to me, this fat biking thing may be working out.

Tube is not a 4-letter word -- people have been using them with great success for a lot longer than tubeless.

Tubeless has less rolling resistance, which means you'll have to ride farther to burn the same amount of calories as you will riding with tubes. If your goal is weight loss, tubes will help you get there!