Summer lovin'?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Summer lovin'?

  1. #1
    Bad cat!
    Reputation: montana_ben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    357

    Summer lovin'?

    So...if a fella was thinking of building a set of summer wheels (for a mukluk in this case), any preference in these options?
    1. Leave well enough alone and rock the darryls/nates always a possibility.
    2. Build a Marge Lite set and load them with Schwalbe Big Betty's or similar, like in that one pic I saw somewhere.. Very rough calculations show shaving almost 6lbs total from the nate/darryl.
    3. Full on weight weenie with ZTR crest 29ers, and big betty's or similar, shave another lb or so...

    I'm rolling with a lefty up front so fat squish not incredibly important. Bike's about 37 1/2lbs as is. Want to make the mukluk work for a living summer and winter and have fun at both. Any thoughts?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,243
    I'd go with the Marge Lites or even slightly narrower ( 47 to 50mm) trials rims and Husker Du's. It would be a shame to give up all of the fat, it is what makes these bikes fun to ride.

    I've been riding V!Z trials rims with Larrys for a couple of summers and they work great but I am thinking about trying the Marge Lites this summer. I'll be trying HD's regardless.
    Latitude 61

  3. #3
    Bad cat!
    Reputation: montana_ben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    357
    Ah ha, thanks for the trials rim tip Syranak, got me searching and found some other posts about this. Something like the trialtech sl with the HD's would be a pretty attractive summer option--a little less weight than the the marge lite and a bit less cash. The Marge lite looks great but choking a little on the cost...cough.

    You weren't by chance running tubeless? The Darryls have been an easy conversion and would hope for the same.

    I agree I don't really want to go the full skinny route...

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,243
    Quote Originally Posted by montana_ben View Post
    Ah ha, thanks for the trials rim tip Syranak, got me searching and found some other posts about this. Something like the trialtech sl with the HD's would be a pretty attractive summer option--a little less weight than the the marge lite and a bit less cash. The Marge lite looks great but choking a little on the cost...cough.

    You weren't by chance running tubeless? The Darryls have been an easy conversion and would hope for the same.

    I agree I don't really want to go the full skinny route...
    No tubless for me on the V!Z rims. They don't have as distinct a bead seat as the Newer Surly or Uma rims. They might work ghetto but I have not tried it.
    Latitude 61

  5. #5
    will rant for food
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,836
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    No tubless for me on the V!Z rims.
    Agreed. All the tires I've mounted on my V!Z rims have been loose and require careful attention when installing. I can remove any fat tire from those rims by hand, easily.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

  6. #6
    Bad cat!
    Reputation: montana_ben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    357
    Interesting... The Nate/Darryl beadlock is like a motorcycle, isn't it? Anyone have any experience with the Trialtech tubeless and fat? Anyone gone for max weight reduction and run front specific trials rims, these would be the 39mm wide ones. 593 grams...Darryl w/ holes is 860. Getting too skinny I wonder?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,243
    Quote Originally Posted by montana_ben View Post
    Interesting... The Nate/Darryl beadlock is like a motorcycle, isn't it? Anyone have any experience with the Trialtech tubeless and fat? Anyone gone for max weight reduction and run front specific trials rims, these would be the 39mm wide ones. 593 grams...Darryl w/ holes is 860. Getting too skinny I wonder?
    I think 39 mm is getting pretty narrow although it will undoubtedly still work. Not much weight savings over the V!Z at 596 g or thereabouts. Also if you are really going for light weight the Nate probably isn't the best choice. A Marge Lite Husker Du or even Marge Lite Larry would probably be a better compromise between overall weight and flotation and tire rim stability.
    You might check on some Trials forums to see what rims they run tubless. If there is a tubless rim that works for trials riders it might be the one to try for fat as well.
    Latitude 61

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    7,171
    I used 40mm rims for a summer 12 hour race without any problem.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

  9. #9
    Bad cat!
    Reputation: montana_ben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    357
    Thanks for the good advice folks, might give it a try... Would try the Husker's for sure, looks like availability might be an issue for awhile?

    Any tips for sourcing the V!Z rims in the states? Google turns up UK shops...

    I did find this discussion: http://forums.mtbr.com/downhill-free...ls-609169.html

    And this one: http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/tub...es-507073.html

    Sorry to re-dredge a topic, but sometimes you need hints to find out what to look for!

  10. #10
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,411
    I just got a Fatback frame. Haven't built the fatwheels yet, but I was considering Salsa Gordos with Ardent 2.4's for warm weather.
    I like turtles

  11. #11
    Losing Ground
    Reputation: Guipago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    213
    It's too bad Fatback isn't making the 50mm rims anymore. I think a lot of people would get on that summer love. They would most likely be tubeless compatible also. What's up Greg??

    With an aluminum hardtail I wouldn't want to get totally skinny, or stay fat b/c of the weight problem; husky maybe. ~50mm rims + Husker Du's (would) = FUN!

  12. #12
    Bad cat!
    Reputation: montana_ben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    357
    Quote Originally Posted by Guipago View Post
    It's too bad Fatback isn't making the 50mm rims anymore. I think a lot of people would get on that summer love. They would most likely be tubeless compatible also. What's up Greg??

    With an aluminum hardtail I wouldn't want to get totally skinny, or stay fat b/c of the weight problem; husky maybe. ~50mm rims + Husker Du's (would) = FUN!
    Yes It is a shame the Uma 50 isn't around, I was searching a bit online thinking I might find a pair, didn't realize they'd been done away with. Husker Du/trials rim/tubeless sounds like the hot summer combo to me. Riding the sheet metal screw studded nates was really a blast last night though...I like that tire...just plain mean. A lightweight 3.5ish version of that would be really fun I would think.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    381
    ive got V!Z rims

    my wheel buidler said they were Sh*t not round,and bulging on rims, both as bad as each other

    he recently built me up a marge lite and commented how "thats a proper rim " !

    much easier to build and better quality, If you live in the US go marge lite, dont ship a V!z from the UK

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.