mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Studs for your Fatbike tires

I know the pre-studded tires are out there, but here is a product I tried last winter with great success. I studded up my Husker Du tires with 75 studs per tire and had great traction. They are removable too if you wish to take them back out!

It took me about an hour per tire to stud them. I also helped a friend stud some Nates.

Grip Studs™ Screw-In Tire Studs | Traction in Ice, Snow and Dirt | HOME

I bought them online from their website, but I they do have dealers all over the place (although not listed on their website).

I just learned that there is a dealer in Ontario, Canada for the Canadian guys;

WELCOME TO BRACEBRIDGE MACHINE & MECHANICAL

mtbr member
    I've been wanting to try these myself. I'm trying to get the shop I work at to carry them.
    - Mark Ehlers
    The Prodigal Cyclist

Huckin' trails

Aren't these about a dollar a piece ?
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Yep.
    - Mark Ehlers
    The Prodigal Cyclist

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Yes, that is true, but given the cost of a pair of studded fatbike tires (Dillinger), these are a nice option.
    Also keep in mind that the studs are removable.

mtbr member
    I had great success last winter with 60 front 40 rear gripstuds in bud and lou. They stick up more I think than the prestudded tires so you need less. I also found that using a little more air pressure really helps them bite in. In super low air pressure situations I don't think any studs work great since the tire becomes so soft and flexible. I have zero reqrets about spending the $100 I spent on the studs. I mean other than them being way over priced. Side benefit is you can crawl over logs way better with the extra grip.
    laotzucycles.blogspot.com

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Echoing Jaredbe. They work pretty well. They cost a small fortune per gram, but they do work.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I scored a couple of Nokian Extremes with worn out sidewalls from a guy at work. The studs are still in good shape, which makes for easy studding of Escalators or studless Dillengers.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    I scored a couple of Nokian Extremes with worn out sidewalls from a guy at work. The studs are still in good shape, which makes for easy studding of Escalators or studless Dillengers.
    So are you planning to remove the studs from the Nokians and re-install them in the other tires? If so, are those particular studs designed for removal and re-installation?
    - Mark Ehlers
    The Prodigal Cyclist

mtbr member
    We've been using them for a couple winters now and love them.
    The LPG

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    150 studs = 99grams

150 studs = supreme traction

Huckin' trails

I know there's a world of difference between fatbike riding style and regular AM riding, but I found that using class 12.9 steel alloy M4 screws are darn good and not expensive at all. Even more than you don't ride much pavement on the fatbike. However you have to drill in and out so you get plenty of 1/8" holes if you remove them.

You can get a pack of 100 for less than $10 though, so I think that's where I'm standing at. Even if I love the Grip Stud simple and proven solution.

What's your ideal exposed stud length ? I find 3mm (or 1/8") to be the sweet spot between digging depth, stiffness in the tire and wear life. My 26x2.4 front tire has 250ish studs and being able to reach the hardpack under the slippery/crusty snow really save you from washing out on the front.
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by marathon marke View Post
    So are you planning to remove the studs from the Nokians and re-install them in the other tires? If so, are those particular studs designed for removal and re-installation?
    Yes to remove from Nokian and install on Escalator. Did the 2 middle rows. We'll see if that is enough. I don't think the stud pockets would stand up to very many remove and replace cycles, nor would my hand. The T handle remove/install tool is not palm friendly.
    Latitude 61

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    We are going to try these monsters:
    https://koldkutter.com/catalog/produ...2f326c5ffdbf3b
    Approx $25 for a pack of 250 studs.
    Will stud a pair of Vee Mission with these. Wide and flat knobs that provide a stable platfor for the studs. Will start by putting studs in the second outermost row of knobs.
    Read a review from a guy who studded a pair of 2.0's with these and the grip on ice was insane.
    The threaded section wil go into the casing on most tires, so one can either trim them down a little, this will require that holes are drilled in the tire, or they can be trimmed down after being installed.
    Running tubeless will solve that issue as well (as long as you have a setup that can be inflated on the trail with a regular pump)

Huckin' trails

These looks pretty good too. Price is more than fair if they prove to outlast high grade steel alloy screws.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    We are going to try these monsters:
    What material are they made of?
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    What material are they made of?
    Not carbide, that's for sure. Carbide is what makes the Grip Studs last, and last, and last. Even with riding over rocks and dirt, they still stay sharp.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    [QUOTE=Espen W;10791310]We are going to try these monsters:
    Approx $25 for a pack of 250 studs.
    Will stud a pair of Vee Mission with these. Wide and flat knobs that provide a stable platfor for the studs.

So... how do these Kold Kutters work??
    Deciding if I need to spend the dough on Grip Studs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    You can try this type.They are made of steel with carbide tip.

Approx $38 for a pack of 250 studs including China post shipping.

tire studs

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hey, if anyone is looking for these in Canada, my company is a dealer for them...and I'm a fatbiker too! I have Husker-Du's with 75 studs per tire, and also Fatback Sterlings with 90 per tire. Works grreat, and I have 3 winters on the Huskers, with zero lost studs.

www.bracebridgemachine.com

Go to the contacts page and send me an email, or give me a call.

See my ad here;

Gripstuds Grip studs dealer in Canada - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

All Canadian Funds, all in stock in Ontario. No Duty, brokerage, or exchange to pay.

Cheers, Roy.
    Last edited by ale50ale; 12-18-2014 at 10:50 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    ^Prices went up within the week?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    ^Prices went up within the week?
    I've been holding the prices for over a year, but the currency exchange has finally gotten to the point where I had no choice.

The current exchange (US/CDN) is around 15%, but my prices are only 5% above the MSRP, so it is still a savings.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Anyone try these Koldkutter.com
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    There is a guy on FB Fat Bike Trader that bought a ton of the Chinese aluminum carbide studs. I bought 500 and a 45nrth installation tool for $73 dollars. I couldn't justify $1 a stud especially since it wasn't my primary winter tires, 13 cents a stud didn't hurt so bad. I just installed them in my original D4's that were laying around. I now have a reasonably cheap race/ice tire combo. As soon as we get some icy conditions I can give a review if wanted.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn View Post
    There is a guy on FB Fat Bike Trader that bought a ton of the Chinese aluminum carbide studs. I bought 500 and a 45nrth installation tool for $73 dollars. I couldn't justify $1 a stud especially since it wasn't my primary winter tires, 13 cents a stud didn't hurt so bad. I just installed them in my original D4's that were laying around. I now have a reasonably cheap race/ice tire combo. As soon as we get some icy conditions I can give a review if wanted.
    I get it for sure, the Dillinger type studs are way cheaper.
    BUT, The Gripstuds will go in ANY tire. Not just the "stud ready" tires. You can put them in your boots too!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ale50ale View Post
    I get it for sure, the Dillinger type studs are way cheaper.
    BUT, The Gripstuds will go in ANY tire. Not just the "stud ready" tires. You can put them in your boots too!
    Sorry, I wasn't directing that post at you. The OP was looking for a cheaper alternative to pre-studded factory tires. No one over the last year mentioned installing aftermarket studs in non-studded studable tires. Non-studded D4's can be picked up pretty cheap with the new D5 out there. And fully studding a set (480 studs) for $65 is a amazing deal in my opinion! Plus it's a lot more user friendly. I wouldn't even consider the grip stud versions unless you have your mind set on a studded Bud/Lou/Nate. Now studding my boots that only require a fraction of the studs is a different story.

beer thief
    Interesting how you start this thread saying:
    ...I just learned that there is a dealer in Ontario, Canada for the Canadian guys;

WELCOME TO BRACEBRIDGE MACHINE & MECHANICAL
    Then it turns out it's your company. You just learned that your company is a dealer for them?

Hey, if anyone is looking for these in Canada, my company is a dealer for them...
    I have no problem with you shilling your product but why not be honest from the outset?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

I have no problem with you shilling your product but why not be honest from the outset?
    When I first posted it, I did not know what MTBR's policy was on such a post, so that is why I worded it the way I did. I was not trying to mislead anyone. Sorry if it seemed that way.

From looking at other posts on this forum, it appears that they are okay with this type of adverts, so now I have copied and pasted this new version into a number of threads.

sluice box
    Name:  canada.jpg
Views: 4847
Size:  13.6 KB

mtbr member
    so is there no one else making grip stud like ones? with wide thread screw? is there a patent on them or what? more manuf. producing such studs would drive the price down i would assume. i have been in contact with chinese manufacturer who is developing similar stud and according to them the price is going to be $.17 per stud.

Huckin' trails
    For a minimal quantity of how many thousands pieces, what quality of manufacturing tolerance, alloy purity and even more, level of quality control ? China is great for mass production of small parts, but if you want it cheaper, you'll sure get it cheaper and cheap.

is buachail foighneach me
    Hey, if anyone is looking for these in Canada, my company is a dealer for them...and I'm a fatbiker too! I have Husker-Du's with 75 studs per tire, and also Fatback Sterlings with 90 per tire. Works grreat, and I have 3 winters on the Huskers, with zero lost studs.

100 pack is $104.95
    150 pack is $156.95
    1000 pack is $996.00
    Install tool is $9.95

All Canadian Funds, all in stock in Ontario. No Duty, brokerage, or exchange to pay.

Cheers, Roy.
    Have any photos of the studded Sterling? Curious about stud pattern and depth. Did they penetrate the casing? Tubeless?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The studs did not come throught the casing on the Fatback Sterling tires, and yes, I'm running them tubeless. You can see bulges on the inside of the tire, but none poked through.
    A few did poke through on my Husker Du's, but they are also the first set of tires I studded, so I was a newbie back then!
    I will post a couple pictures tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Here are pictures of the studded Husker Du (top) and the Fatback Sterling (bottom).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Studs for your Fatbike tires-husker-du.jpg  

Studs for your Fatbike tires-sterling.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    So what are the options for studs? Any web links would help. I am looking to replace studs on my D4s as they fall out with grip studs or china cheap studs. $1 or 17 cents what are the best options with weblinks. So far I just need a few so don't really want to buy a pack of $100. Also currency and shipping rates are an issue for me as I am up in Canada. I am thinking a made in China solution with free shipping exists? Want the same type as grip studs though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    rbbs, the chineses don't have one like the Gripstud: They take pictures from other site... But they don't have them. Check on https://www.facebook.com/groups/fatbiketrader/ or on https://www.facebook.com/groups/301619726711909/ there are 45nt and others pretty cheap.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by new8812 View Post
    rbbs, the chineses don't have one like the Gripstud: They take pictures from other site... But they don't have them. Check on https://www.facebook.com/groups/fatbiketrader/ or on https://www.facebook.com/groups/301619726711909/ there are 45nt and others pretty cheap.

Thanks, I am not on facebook, but any other direct company links would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Cheers, Roy.
    Last edited by ale50ale; 11-23-2015 at 02:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Update, Nov. 2015 price change

Hey, if anyone is looking for Gripstuds in Canada, my company is a dealer for them.

100 pack is $132.95
    150 pack is $196.95
    1000 pack is $1262.95
    Install tool is $9.95

Cheers, Roy.

Workin for the weekend!
    What's the current pricing like Roy? Any change now that the dollar had rebounded from where it was in Nov 15?
    Todd

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    What's the current pricing like Roy? Any change now that the dollar had rebounded from where it was in Nov 15?

Always plenty in stock, and current pricing looks like this;

100 pack is $135.29
    150 pack is $200.25
    1000 pack is $1287.76
    Install tool is $13.25

Unfortunately, that rebound that the dollar had started to diminish a few months ago. My retail prices are on par with the advertised prices on Gripstuds website.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    kold cutter looks like a reasonable option , anyone using these, made for motorcycles, probably use the smallest size, $20 stud both tires a pretty good deal

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    should studs be installed with rachet screw driver?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    should studs be installed with rachet screw driver?
    Grip studs use a special tool.

There are not enough threads on a kold cutter to warrant a ratchet driver in my opinion, but no reason you could not use one. (Manual only, not electric or pneumatic.)

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I put in grip studs just recently and am quite pleased with the results. I was thinking about the cheaper imitations for a brief moment and thought, just pay the man. On my last ride on some ice they have already paid for themselves. Installing takes some time, not sooo bad and the hand tool works good.