Results 1 to 59 of 59
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    303

    Studded tires for 2018/19 winter

    August is a good time to plan winter tire purchase. Last year I bought the Vee Snowshoe studded tires and they sucked. This year I'm smarter.

    I'm in S-Wisconsin and we had little snow last winter. some riding therefore will be on bare ground and asphalt.

    The Dillinger 5 get good ratings, but they are not tubeless. This seems ridiculous for a winter tire. Ironically the dillinger 4 (less float) are labelled as tubeless. but due to deep snow in forests etc. Iprefer 5"

    what are actually available good tire options this year?
    2018 Motobecane Sturgis NX
    2016 Giant Toughroad SLR1

  2. #2
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,835
    Pretty sure a lot of folks run the d5 tubeless without issue.

  3. #3
    Anchorage, AK
    Reputation: Lars_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Pretty sure a lot of folks run the d5 tubeless without issue.
    Yup. Tubeless d5 are great!
    --Peace

  4. #4
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    30,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Pretty sure a lot of folks run the d5 tubeless without issue.
    3 seasons to be specific
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  5. #5
    fat guy on a little bike
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    542
    2 seasons ago i ran the d5. it is a great all rounder. i found myself wanting more knobbage after riding the d5's, so last season i went with Wrathchilds. I heard bad things about the XL stud, so i studded them myself using the standard 45nrth concave stud. Very happy with them, so i will be using them again this year, although on a 100mm hoop.

    the terrene johnny 5 looks promising if you have a bike that can use it...

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BlueCheesehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    915
    SE Wisconsin myself. I run a D5 in front and D4 in back, both tubeless. They work great.

  7. #7
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    12,423
    Terrene Wazia's are pretty sweet all rounders.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Terrene Wazia's are pretty sweet all rounders.
    Not to mention the Bontrager Gnarwhal...

  9. #9
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    12,423
    Quote Originally Posted by mohrgan View Post
    Not to mention the Bontrager Gnarwhal...
    It sounded to me like he was asking for 26 inch. If he was asking for b fat then yes, the Gnarwhal would be at the top of the list.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    It sounded to me like he was asking for 26 inch. If he was asking for b fat then yes, the Gnarwhal would be at the top of the list.
    I was thinking Gnarwhal in 26" guise. However, after your response I reread the original post where it states "but due to deep snow in forests etc. Iprefer 5" " I guess that eliminates the Gnar in 26"!

  11. #11
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    12,423
    Quote Originally Posted by mohrgan View Post
    I was thinking Gnarwhal in 26" guise. However, after your response I reread the original post where it states "but due to deep snow in forests etc. Iprefer 5" " I guess that eliminates the Gnar in 26"!
    The 26" Gnar is OK. After riding the B Fat Gnars everything else seems like a compromise.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    174
    I'm in Minnesota so more snow than you. Originally had the snowshoe XL's for a season and didn't like them. 2 years ago I had Minion FBF's that I drilled stud pockets in and used flat tip studs and didn't like them. Last year I picked up the Wrathchilds in January think I'll stick with them this year. I used flat tip regular sized studs down the middle 2 rows or so. Then I used the XL studs on the more outer rows. That seemed to give good grip on ice but also roll pretty good and I didn't have any studs (XL or regular) tear out. They did alright in a couple inches of fresh snow. For the really loose and deeper stuff they struggled like anything not named Bud or Lou.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BlueCheesehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    915
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerpss View Post
    I'm in Minnesota so more snow than you. Originally had the snowshoe XL's for a season and didn't like them. 2 years ago I had Minion FBF's that I drilled stud pockets in and used flat tip studs and didn't like them. Last year I picked up the Wrathchilds in January think I'll stick with them this year. I used flat tip regular sized studs down the middle 2 rows or so. Then I used the XL studs on the more outer rows. That seemed to give good grip on ice but also roll pretty good and I didn't have any studs (XL or regular) tear out. They did alright in a couple inches of fresh snow. For the really loose and deeper stuff they struggled like anything not named Bud or Lou.
    The concave studs from Bikestuds.com work pretty well and at a reasonable price. I too moved my XL studs to the side lugs due to them ripping out. I have some Terrene 3 point studs (nice, but pricey) and the Bikestuds. I see no reason to buy anything other than the Bikestuds moving forward.

    The stud tool by 45nrth is nicer in my opinion than ones with a standard screwdriver style handle. The T fits in the hand nicely. Additional tips:

    1.) touching each stud pocket with a Q-tip soaked in mineral spirits works to lubricate the stud insertion and evaporates quickly. I could wet about 8 pockets at a time. I am sure I got the studding time down to 10 seconds or so a piece. (yes, I know solvents are not good for the rubber, but exposure does not last long and I have found no ill effects.)

    2.) Studding works much better on an inflated or otherwise supported tire. Trying to stud an unmounted tire is a pain unless you create a jig to support the back of the tire. I made a jig out of 5" piece of 3" schedule 40 pvc pipe and my bench vise.
    Last edited by BlueCheesehead; 08-17-2018 at 01:51 PM.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    13
    This is a good subject, as I too will be searching for studded tires. Iíll be watching this one closely.
    Last edited by JumboJim; 08-17-2018 at 05:56 PM.

  15. #15
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    12,423
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    The stud tool by 45nrth is nicer in my opinion than ones with a standard screwdriver style handle.

    Agreed here. But the Bontrager tool is yet better -- doesn't dig in and blister like the 45N tool does.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BlueCheesehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    915
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Agreed here. But the Bontrager tool is yet better -- doesn't dig in and blister like the 45N tool does.
    That does look nice. I did a couple sets last week with the 45nrth tool. No issues for me, but I am sure you do more.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    240

    Studded tires for 2018/19 winter

    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    The 26" Gnar is OK. After riding the B Fat Gnars everything else seems like a compromise.
    Only got two rides on snow last year on my B fat Gnarwhals. Looking forward to this winter to see how they compare to Bid and Lou on deeper stuff.

    New concave studs too, so Iíll be a little less careful.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    512
    I like some others around here(Quebec) am on Bud/Lou. Probably the best 26x4.8 snow tires, mine are on 90 mm. We simply screw about 100 quality studs/tire. I use my fat 4 months and my mountain after the white season. For climbing it is a dream.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    30
    Lots of tire choices out there and everyone has different winter wants/needs to suit their riding style.
    I settled on the the Xl studded Wrathchilds last winter,after 7-800 KM of different winter conditions in the middle of Canada still satisfied with them.
    Time will tell if their durability will last.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    78
    Too many variables for me to give any sage advice. For where I ride, aggressive tire treads typically outperform the faster rolling lower profile options. Similarly when we have the inevitable melt/freeze the aggressively studded tires outperform the lightly studded options. In my local woods a D4 is usually pretty lackluster, D5 is pretty good generalist until we get a big snow cycle, and an XL studded Wrathchild is like velcro in most conditions (I've had good luck so far with the XL studs, but others did have some significant failures). But for my local conditions I'd never go back to a Dillinger or similar. In a big snow cycle I much prefer Bud/Lou to the Wrathchild. If the Johnny 5 lives up to the specs then it will likely be my go to tire and I'll gift my Wrathchilds to my kids.

    Note: our conditions are usually cold loose snow on natural singletrack (basically winter mountain biking). No big fat smooth groomers here. But when we get melt/freeze trails can turn to ribbons of packed ice. So it's a dog's breakfast that we ride in.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    303
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    SE Wisconsin myself. I run a D5 in front and D4 in back, both tubeless. They work great.
    do you have the 170/177 rear spacing anc can't install the D5, or is there is strategic reason to have a 4"tire in the back?

    To all: Thanks for all responses. I should have been clearer on the size. i have 26" rims and when I say 5", i include 4.5", 4.6" etc. It seems that excludes the Bontrager Gnarwhal since their 26" version only is 3.8" wide.

    Ideally I buy tires already studded since it seems that would be cheaper and less work (obviously). but I'm open to self-stdding if it is worthwhile. It seems a studdable Wrathchild cost $145 and the studded version cost $235... so it may be worth to self-stud.

    In case I self-stud, what are my best stud options? It seems there are concave and flat tipe studs....

    It sounds like the 45NRTH Wrathchild are a bit better than the 45NRTH Dillinger 5?
    How would the Terrene Wazia compare?
    and is a bud/Lou combination really better? I'm hesitant to use location-specific tires since i plan to use the less-worn tire up front and the rear tire wears faster.
    2018 Motobecane Sturgis NX
    2016 Giant Toughroad SLR1

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    512
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun View Post
    do you have the 170/177 rear spacing anc can't install the D5, or is there is strategic reason to have a 4"tire in the back?

    To all: Thanks for all responses. I should have been clearer on the size. i have 26" rims and when I say 5", i include 4.5", 4.6" etc. It seems that excludes the Bontrager Gnarwhal since their 26" version only is 3.8" wide.

    Ideally I buy tires already studded since it seems that would be cheaper and less work (obviously). but I'm open to self-stdding if it is worthwhile. It seems a studdable Wrathchild cost $145 and the studded version cost $235... so it may be worth to self-stud.

    In case I self-stud, what are my best stud options? It seems there are concave and flat tipe studs....

    It sounds like the 45NRTH Wrathchild are a bit better than the 45NRTH Dillinger 5?
    How would the Terrene Wazia compare?
    and is a bud/Lou combination really better? I'm hesitant to use location-specific tires since i plan to use the less-worn tire up front and the rear tire wears faster.
    Your tire planning depends on how many bikes do you have?
    The font tire is important to direct any bike and control your speed going down.
    I ride alone in minus 35 so i want safety, it is not a good time to hit a tree.
    If you only ride on snow a quality pair lasts many seasons.
    Will you buy a suspension fork to use it 3-4 seasons?
    The Bud thread pattern is designed to control your direction. I can tell you it is better than the 4.6 groundcontrol that came on my fatboy(Specialized) and the Lou also outperforms the 4.6 groundcontrol in the rear. In my case for 4 months i want to be on my fat often and a fast tire is not a good idea. The Bud/Lou is not a fast combination that is it s only flaw if that counts for you. Here in Canada they were 169$CA ea and outperforming others selling for more.
    About the work you can screw 1 tire an evening and the other an onther one.

  23. #23
    fat guy on a little bike
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun View Post
    I'm open to self-stdding if it is worthwhile. It seems a studdable Wrathchild cost $145 and the studded version cost $235... so it may be worth to self-stud.

    In case I self-stud, what are my best stud options? It seems there are concave and flat tipe studs....

    It sounds like the 45NRTH Wrathchild are a bit better than the 45NRTH Dillinger 5?
    How would the Terrene Wazia compare?
    The main reason i studded my own Wrathchilds, is the 2XL stud was not out at the time. I am glad i did, as the 2XL stud had too much "bite" and were getting pulled from the tires. a guy local to me lost half of the studs in his rear tire on his FIRST ride...

    Regarding, type of stud, I am partial the 45nrth concave stud. The Terrene tri point stud looks nice and sharp, but it is not cheap.

    As i mentioned before, I had the D5 prior to the Wrathchild. The D5 rolls better than the Wrathchild, which would work well on groomed trails. Nothing is groomed near me, and we have a lot of freeze/thaw cycles which make the trails choppy. Also, we get a lot of sloppy snow during the season, so i needed a tire with a bigger lug to dig. SO the choice came down to the Wazia or Wrathchild. So, the main reason I went with the Wrathchild, is because the studs go farther to each edge of the tire.

    Last year I ran the front Wrathie with the chevron facing forward and flipped the rear for increased "digging" capability. Truth is, they had so much bite in general conditions, this year I am going to run them both in the forward position.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BlueCheesehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    915
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun View Post
    do you have the 170/177 rear spacing anc can't install the D5, or is there is strategic reason to have a 4"tire in the back?
    Yes, my Otso has 177 rear. I had a set of older D4's from my Muk that I switched over. During the Fat Bike Birkie my front was washing out a bit, and rear was fine. The D5 lugs are bigger so I bought one for the front. I tried it in the rear and it was really close to fitting. With some crank shims and/or slight dishing offset I could get it to work. So far the D4 works well enough in the rear to not spend the $ on a D5.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    303
    Quote Originally Posted by 33red View Post
    Your tire planning depends on how many bikes do you have?
    The font tire is important to direct any bike and control your speed going down.
    I ride alone in minus 35 so i want safety, it is not a good time to hit a tree.
    If you only ride on snow a quality pair lasts many seasons.
    Will you buy a suspension fork to use it 3-4 seasons?
    The Bud thread pattern is designed to control your direction. I can tell you it is better than the 4.6 groundcontrol that came on my fatboy(Specialized) and the Lou also outperforms the 4.6 groundcontrol in the rear. In my case for 4 months i want to be on my fat often and a fast tire is not a good idea. The Bud/Lou is not a fast combination that is it s only flaw if that counts for you. Here in Canada they were 169$CA ea and outperforming others selling for more.
    About the work you can screw 1 tire an evening and the other an onther one.

    Are the Bud/Lou actually officially studdable? the tire profile looks like it has those slits, but not the typical stud holes. You say "screw", which sounds like you use some of those motorbike ice studs?

    The Terrene Wazia are advertised as "all season". My concern is that rubber/profile will be a compromise. I would like a tire that is optimized for winter (even if it sucks in summer). Outside winter I put my regular non-studded tires on.

    I just realized I still have 2 packs of studs (a warranty replacement from my Vee Snowshoes). So a studdable tire would be good for me. so what I'm looking for is a "studdable tire" for the regular round studs.

    With the above, would the Wrathchild give me the best tire? They cost around $145 unstudded.

    I only have one fatbike. My other bike is a hybrid with 2" tires. I would use that only for paved/gravel riding when temperatures are above freezing and paths are clear.
    2018 Motobecane Sturgis NX
    2016 Giant Toughroad SLR1

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    512
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun View Post
    Are the Bud/Lou actually officially studdable? the tire profile looks like it has those slits, but not the typical stud holes. You say "screw", which sounds like you use some of those motorbike ice studs?

    The Terrene Wazia are advertised as "all season". My concern is that rubber/profile will be a compromise. I would like a tire that is optimized for winter (even if it sucks in summer). Outside winter I put my regular non-studded tires on.

    I just realized I still have 2 packs of studs (a warranty replacement from my Vee Snowshoes). So a studdable tire would be good for me. so what I'm looking for is a "studdable tire" for the regular round studs.

    With the above, would the Wrathchild give me the best tire? They cost around $145 unstudded.

    I only have one fatbike. My other bike is a hybrid with 2" tires. I would use that only for paved/gravel riding when temperatures are above freezing and paths are clear.
    We have no problem some put 50/tire for a litte more grip on ice, i tried that, some put about 100/tire i use that and for racers about 150/tire.
    2 years ago some bought chinese version but they were not available in Quebec last season. I have the top quality and they stay in
    some call them the dollar studs wich is about the price in US$
    https://www.mec.ca/en/search?text=Gr...org_text=studs
    you can find info on the fat forum here and on youtube
    it makes tires with great capacities to
    - float
    - grip in snow
    - grip on ice
    with a small gear climbing is a joy
    i have my tubes some do not
    the manufacturer does not suggest we do because some idiots use extra long screws
    it is like a motorbike but short enough
    i also screw 2 in front of each boot

  27. #27
    fat guy on a little bike
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun View Post
    I just realized I still have 2 packs of studs (a warranty replacement from my Vee Snowshoes). So a studdable tire would be good for me. so what I'm looking for is a "studdable tire" for the regular round studs.
    just a word of caution, I have never heard anything good about those vee studs. they are sharp when new, and as they wear they get "softer" and no longer have any bite.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BlueCheesehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    915
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    just a word of caution, I have never heard anything good about those vee studs. they are sharp when new, and as they wear they get "softer" and no longer have any bite.
    For the time required to install a set of studs, it's worth the $ to install something durable with adequate bite. I would probably sell the Vee studs cheap and buy something else.

  29. #29
    fat guy on a little bike
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    For the time required to install a set of studs, it's worth the $ to install something durable with adequate bite. I would probably sell the Vee studs cheap and buy something else.
    + eleventy billion

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    512
    Yup to the 2 previous posts ! !
    A guy i know bought light tires to be fast, added chinese studs for a few $$ sold that el crapo combo at a lost because it would not turn.
    Know what will satisfy you.
    Ask advices.
    Choose to invest it will last. I can tell you the last 2 weeks of march i had my best vacation in 20 years, fating at least 4 hours daily, i was crying tears of joy.

  31. #31
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    12,423
    Quote Originally Posted by 33red View Post
    fating at least 4 hours daily, i was crying tears of joy.
    Fating?

    Did you mean fasting?

    Farting?

    Eating?!

    The suspense is killing me!

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    512
    English is my second language, i meant riding my fatbike.
    First i wrote fatting, is that the correct way?
    El cheapo, 2 weeks close to the trails 190$US, simply renting a room on kijiji.

  33. #33
    fat guy on a little bike
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Fating?

    Farting?

    The suspense is killing me!
    you sir, owe me a keyboard...

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    512
    I am glad you laughed.
    It is crazy maybe my software is french and some auto correct is going crazy because i am writing in english but half the words are underlined in red so it is more confusing than helping.
    Otherwise at 60 my brain is mostly on vacation.
    Should i use fatbiking?
    My excuse is helping my old parents i am allways around people over 85.
    Any 22 year old girl might bring me balance with a ton of luck

  35. #35
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    12,423
    Quote Originally Posted by 33red View Post
    English is my second language, i meant riding my fatbike.
    First i wrote fatting, is that the correct way?
    El cheapo, 2 weeks close to the trails 190$US, simply renting a room on kijiji.

    You do better with it as a second language than many do with it as their first.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stopbreakindown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    844
    I think "fatting" is when you visit an all you-can-eat buffet but I think I'm gonna use it for fatbiking now, thanks!

    Cheap stud option here

    Have not used them personally but there was a thread somewhere with some positive reviews

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BlueCheesehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    915
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopbreakindown View Post
    I think "fatting" is when you visit an all you-can-eat buffet but I think I'm gonna use it for fatbiking now, thanks!

    Cheap stud option here

    Have not used them personally but there was a thread somewhere with some positive reviews
    Yes, BikeStuds were referenced above in this thread. At $.23/ea the concave studs satisfy my inner Goldilocks...not to short, not too long, just right.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    303
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    just a word of caution, I have never heard anything good about those vee studs. they are sharp when new, and as they wear they get "softer" and no longer have any bite.
    After 250 km I had 20% of them worn down (all the way to the rubber). That is why I contacted manufacturer and they sent me the replacement studs. but that was at end of winter already, so I didn't really use them. In addition i noticed the rubber studs only were 4mm. Are you saying there are tire products lasting longer than 250km?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    For the time required to install a set of studs, it's worth the $ to install something durable with adequate bite. I would probably sell the Vee studs cheap and buy something else.
    I need to find a gullible person buying them. anyone here interested in Class 1A studs? I'm less concerned about the time, it isn't so bad to replace a dozen at a time. But I'm concerned if putting studs in, taking them out and putting new ones in somehow wears out that hole or overstretches the rubber around the stud hole.
    2018 Motobecane Sturgis NX
    2016 Giant Toughroad SLR1

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BlueCheesehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    915
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun View Post
    After 250 km I had 20% of them worn down (all the way to the rubber). That is why I contacted manufacturer and they sent me the replacement studs. but that was at end of winter already, so I didn't really use them. In addition i noticed the rubber studs only were 4mm. Are you saying there are tire products lasting longer than 250km?



    I need to find a gullible person buying them. anyone here interested in Class 1A studs? I'm less concerned about the time, it isn't so bad to replace a dozen at a time. But I'm concerned if putting studs in, taking them out and putting new ones in somehow wears out that hole or overstretches the rubber around the stud hole.
    One man's trash...

    I have swapped studs several times in a tire. The rubber is more resilient than my hand. It did not wear out the holes

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jeff_G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    672
    My $.02 even though there is at least $.85 worth of advice in here already.

    I have Dillinger 5's on my bike. I commute to work and ride single track that is usually more packed ice than snow.

    -They set up tubeless on my Mulefuts perfect.

    - They are nowhwhere near 5" tires

    - I wish the stud stuck out of the tire more BUT, they give me a great deal of confidence on ice. I don't even think about ice when I'm commuting.

    - I have put 3,000 or so miles on two sets, a high percentage of those miles on bare tar. ZERO wear on the studs and the rubber shows little wear.

    - They don't roll as well as my Barbegazzi's but the traction makes it worth it for me.

    - Money well spent.
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

    16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

    Minneapolis MN

  41. #41
    aka bOb
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,341
    D4's D5's for not a lot of snow or wanna go fast, Wrathchilds for more added traction but slower. Central WI here and I love the Wrathchilds, 27.5 I have no experience.

    P.S. Fatting, I like it!!!

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    303
    Analysis paralysis.... I'm circling around the Terrena Wazia length version. $120 studdable or $210 studded. Since I have those old/new studs I may buy unstudded.

    I also was thinking of 4.0" vs. 4.6". but for same BB height think using 4.6" is better. Since I use the same 80mm rims overall width probably doesn't differ that much.

    I'll go through deep snow, over ice patches, or bare frozen ground. We likely only will have a few weeks of snow judging by last winter and predictions this winter to be "warmer than average".

    Does anyone think the Wrathchild ($145 unstudded) are better than the Wazia worth the extra $? Based on most reviews the Wrathchild are the best from 45NRTH. but better than the Wazia for my all around conditions?

    Is there a potential to get better deals as winter gets closer, or will I run the risk not getting tires if i wait till winter? We likely won't have snow before end of november, if at all. Last year I think snow appeared end of December. So I wouldn't mount them before December (only have one wheelset). The fatbike market is getting more saturated compared to past years and more manufacturers may come out with studdable tires, so that may be good.

    Lastly, is there any good reason to go to a 27.5" wheel? At least for the rear I'll need to buy a new hub and with that new spokes. So this would be the time to do it. the Gnarwal tires were mentioned above as good ones and are "only" $119. However, they are 27.5x4.5 instead of the typical 27.5"x 3.8", so the overall wheel would be larger (not sure if it would fit, and in snow i like even lower gearing).
    with limited choice of 27.5" rims and me already having summer tires for 26", this would be a costly option and odd if I only do that for the rear.
    2018 Motobecane Sturgis NX
    2016 Giant Toughroad SLR1

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,803
    Nothing better than the Wrathchild for all conditions but they are spendy.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr View Post
    Nothing better than the Wrathchild for all conditions but they are spendy.
    My experience with them wasnít good. Tons of lateral washouts on the front, and drive traction in the rear was very underwhelming.

    Made the switch it 27.5 x 4.5 Gnarwhals, and they were much better. Drive traction similar to Lou, front lateral traction was a bit less than Bud, but tons better than the Wrathchild.

    The Gnarwhals roll better than Bud and Lou when the snow gets choppy from foot traffic too.

  45. #45
    fat guy on a little bike
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by amadkins View Post
    My experience with them wasnít good. Tons of lateral washouts on the front, and drive traction in the rear was very underwhelming.
    my experience was the complete opposite. they dug extremely well and grip was excellent, as long as i didn't lean them and get off the edge stud.

    this year, i am going to grip stud the edges, so they should be even better. looking forward to the winter...

    i have a set of gnarwhal 27.5x3.8 with nearly no mileage on them. pm sent.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dilligaff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_G View Post

    - I wish the stud stuck out of the tire more BUT, they give me a great deal of confidence on ice. I don't even think about ice when I'm commuting.

    -
    I put spacers under the concave studs on my D5's and it made them stick like velcro. I used 1/16" fiber gasket material and punched the spacers on a standard hole punch. Just put the spacer between the tire and stud and push it into the pocket. I lost very few and they have all seated so I have not lost more. On my Wrathchild's (my wife confiscated the D5's) I used some Balkamp Tire and Bead Sealer and the studs not only went in easier, I have not lost a one of them yet.

    The Wrathchild's hook up MUCH better than the D5's and do not seem to take any more power to run. I have limited use of the compared to the D5's though.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr.Wizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaff View Post
    I put spacers under the concave studs on my D5's and it made them stick like velcro. I used 1/16" fiber gasket material and punched the spacers on a standard hole punch. Just put the spacer between the tire and stud and push it into the pocket. I lost very few and they have all seated so I have not lost more. On my Wrathchild's (my wife confiscated the D5's) I used some Balkamp Tire and Bead Sealer and the studs not only went in easier, I have not lost a one of them yet.

    The Wrathchild's hook up MUCH better than the D5's and do not seem to take any more power to run. I have limited use of the compared to the D5's though.
    Did you use the xl studs on the Wrathchilds?
    "Be what you is and not what you is not. Folks that is what they is, is the happiest lot."

  48. #48
    In dog years, I'm dead.
    Reputation: burtronix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,050
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun View Post
    Analysis paralysis.... I'm circling around the Terrena Wazia length version. $120 studdable or $210 studded. Since I have those old/new studs I may buy unstudded.

    I also was thinking of 4.0" vs. 4.6". but for same BB height think using 4.6" is better. Since I use the same 80mm rims overall width probably doesn't differ that much.

    I'll go through deep snow, over ice patches, or bare frozen ground. We likely only will have a few weeks of snow judging by last winter and predictions this winter to be "warmer than average".

    Does anyone think the Wrathchild ($145 unstudded) are better than the Wazia worth the extra $? Based on most reviews the Wrathchild are the best from 45NRTH. but better than the Wazia for my all around conditions?

    Is there a potential to get better deals as winter gets closer, or will I run the risk not getting tires if i wait till winter? We likely won't have snow before end of november, if at all. Last year I think snow appeared end of December. So I wouldn't mount them before December (only have one wheelset). The fatbike market is getting more saturated compared to past years and more manufacturers may come out with studdable tires, so that may be good.

    Lastly, is there any good reason to go to a 27.5" wheel? At least for the rear I'll need to buy a new hub and with that new spokes. So this would be the time to do it. the Gnarwal tires were mentioned above as good ones and are "only" $119. However, they are 27.5x4.5 instead of the typical 27.5"x 3.8", so the overall wheel would be larger (not sure if it would fit, and in snow i like even lower gearing).
    with limited choice of 27.5" rims and me already having summer tires for 26", this would be a costly option and odd if I only do that for the rear.
    Gnarwhals do come 27.5x3.8, but you might need to get them from your local Trek dealer.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CanuckMountainMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    29
    Heads Up for anyone in the U.S. and Canada interested in Gnarwhals,
    Check out the Black Friday prices with your Trek Dealer or online.

    I already have 27.5 x 4.5 Gnar's on my Farely 7, awesome combo,
    But wanted a brand new set to put studs in for a dedicated winter setup.

    I ordered up two more Gnars and two Bontrager 225 pc stud kits when I saw the price drop last night and saved $100 CAD.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dilligaff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Wizard View Post
    Did you use the xl studs on the Wrathchilds?
    Yes, I did. I think they're a much better stud and they protrude nicely.

    Studded tires for 2018/19 winter-8414c4d1-c21f-4685-8453-1ecd2f76c360-l.jpg
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    70
    I used the Jumbo Jim's and studded them at the end of last season. They worked great and are the perfect race tire.

    https://youtu.be/is9esBAWCHA

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dilligaff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith-OH View Post
    I used the Jumbo Jim's and studded them at the end of last season. They worked great and are the perfect race tire.

    https://youtu.be/is9esBAWCHA
    I've ridden them and they slide around in the snow a ton. The lugs aren't deep enough for the snow we get here in Maine.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    512
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaff View Post
    I've ridden them and they slide around in the snow a ton. The lugs aren't deep enough for the snow we get here in Maine.
    I am your neighbour in Quebec and we have some who focus on racing, light, speed and others like me who enjoy Bud/Lou studded to ride in a wide variety of conditions. In a sense the tracing is turning fat into some mini-putt on white hard carpet. The snowdog is helping but also transforming the fat world.

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    303
    OP here.
    i decided to just keep my regular non-studded tires for winter and lower the pressure. Over ice patches I lower my saddle (got a dropper now!). We had a tiny bit snow beginning of this week and it went fine.

    It seems winter gets shorter here (today I rode my hybrid at 42įF) and I have some time commitments in winter, so unfortunately i don't have so much time to ride. I also don't want to use the studs for all the winter days without snow. Maybe next winter I will change my mind.

    YMMV
    2018 Motobecane Sturgis NX
    2016 Giant Toughroad SLR1

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CanuckMountainMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    29
    27.5x4.5 Gnarwhals + 450 Bontrager Studs + Bontrager Stud T Handle FTW!

    I picked up my Black Friday order today (Saved $100+)
    But one of my Gnar's is still on back order (2 Weeks)

    So I had to dig the gravel out of my current set on my Farley
    It took about 1/2 hour per tire to install 212 studs ea, but its Done!
    (Plan is to eventually setup Two pairs of Gnarwhals for Winter Studded/Summer Tubeless)

    Hope to test them tomorrow as we've had a LOT of freeze/thaw cycles all week and there's actually more ice than snow now.
    (also swapped out my small Diamondback Dual-Sport (clip-less on one side) pedals for some Wide RockBros Flatties)

    Just a little too cold in the Garage today,
    so I opted for the comfort of the basement man-cave

    Studded tires for 2018/19 winter-stud.jpgStudded tires for 2018/19 winter-stud_1.jpg
    Studded tires for 2018/19 winter-stud_2.jpg
    Studded tires for 2018/19 winter-stud_3.jpgStudded tires for 2018/19 winter-stud_5.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Studded tires for 2018/19 winter-stud_6.jpg  

    Studded tires for 2018/19 winter-fat_trek_1.jpg  

    Studded tires for 2018/19 winter-fat_farley.jpg  

    Last edited by CanuckMountainMan; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:32 AM.

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CanuckMountainMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    29
    **UPDATE**

    I went for a quick night run to test out some new lights I just picked up on amazon,
    First on my old 26" Fat Bike, went down Twice on the Ice lol! Good thing the snow made for a soft landing,
    and both times were at low speed.

    The Studded Gnarwhals on my Farley handled the same path like I was on Freaking Rails,
    O-M-G those studs just BITE hard and I now I wont have to worry about a trip to the ER.

    Best $100 I spent this Winter!

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    16
    Does anyone have experience with the Vee Rubber Avalanche? The price is certainly right, and I saw a couple of positive reviews on blogs...

  58. #58
    twa
    twa is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith-OH View Post
    I used the Jumbo Jim's and studded them at the end of last season. They worked great and are the perfect race tire.

    https://youtu.be/is9esBAWCHA
    How did you make that tip for the soldering iron to make the stud pocket?

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BlueCheesehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    915
    Quote Originally Posted by twa View Post
    How did you make that tip for the soldering iron to make the stud pocket?
    Near the beginning of the video he explains that he grind a screw to make the tip.

Similar Threads

  1. Dillinger 5 Studded and Dillinger 4 Studded FS
    By Kirkerik in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-26-2018, 08:40 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-10-2018, 06:35 AM
  3. Replies: 101
    Last Post: 12-26-2017, 01:39 PM
  4. Studded Gnarwahl vs Studded Dillinger 4
    By bhanson18 in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 11-10-2017, 06:30 PM
  5. Winter studded tires
    By Paladin54 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-07-2011, 09:21 AM

Members who have read this thread: 292

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.