Studded 5" options- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Studded 5" options

So I'm thinking I should look at getting some full fat studs this winter instead of trying to switch back and forth between the full fat (Moonlander) bike with no studs and the skinny(er) bike (Krampus) with ice spikers.

So what are the options out there? i'm aware of the following:

* 45Nrth Dillinger 5s
    * Vee Snowshoe XL with studs
    * Install Grip Studs in my Bud/Lous

Anything else I should be aware of, or any opinions of the above?

mtbr member

Studded 5" options

The vee snowshoe is available studded?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tundratrader View Post
    The vee snowshoe is available studded?
    The XL version is, I discovered that while searching earlier: Snowshoe XL | VEE Tire Co.

mtbr member

Studded 5" options

Interesting. I haven't seen them anywhere. I know that the Dillinger 5 is showing zero in QBP system as well though. I think as popular as these type of bikes have become people are buying the heck out of studs. I hope vee releases something in 4" or 4.25 studded as well.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.C View Post
    The XL version is, I discovered that while searching earlier: Snowshoe XL | VEE Tire Co.
    The funny thing is those douche bags can't even get the pics right for their tires.

mtbr member

Studded 5" options

I also thought vee was a newer company. However my dad found some of his old like 20 year old tire that had been made by vee. I don't know anything about them being bags of any sort

I am glad I didn't get the vee8 tires for summer. I saw some in person on a fat bike REI was selling and it was like a complete street tire. It would be good on sand and asphalt and that's about it. My nates roll hard on those surfaces but kick ass on everything else.

mtbr member

Studded 5" options

Pics are terrible as well. They have the same pic up for bulldozer and snowshoe

I also don't understand the price listing differences. Shows 72, 120tpi but then lists 3 different prices for weights.

aka bOb
    Yeah the pic they have for the Bulldozer is actually a Snowshoe and the XL is actually the Bulldozer, it's been like this for the whole year you would think someone would catch it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Interesting. I haven't seen them anywhere. I know that the Dillinger 5 is showing zero in QBP system as well though. I think as popular as these type of bikes have become people are buying the heck out of studs. I hope vee releases something in 4" or 4.25 studded as well.
    My LBS tells me that the Dillinger 5's haven't shipped stateside yet... I'm hoping to pick up one myself to go with the Dillinger 4 I already have.

mtbr member

Studded 5" options

Yeah that is what I want to do as well for my mukluk. Unless something else amazing comes out that is studded.

aka bOb
    Unless something else amazing comes out that is studded.
    I've been told that I'm amazing and should be studded but I'm fairly sure I'm not going to let you ride me

Anchorage, AK
    I have the studdable version of the Snowshoe XL. It is huge.

Studded 5" options-img00591.jpg
    --Peace

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars_D View Post
    I have the studdable version of the Snowshoe XL. It is huge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00591.jpg 
Views:	413 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	922013
    That does look like its in the Bud/Lou class of tire, how many studs does it take?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    These studs can't be like this from the factory?

Studded 5" options-p1140369-e1410204982830-600x800.jpg

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Yeah the pic they have for the Bulldozer is actually a Snowshoe and the XL is actually the Bulldozer, it's been like this for the whole year you would think someone would catch it.
    Wow, that's perfect. I have bulldozers coming and when I checked the site it was really the Snowshoe XL tread pattern that I wanted, but if they are reversed, all is great. I'll know for sure tomorrow
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Anchorage, AK
    That does look like its in the Bud/Lou class of tire, how many studs does it take?
    I think about 250. I'll count it tomorrow night. I will say they're pretty heavy -- between 1470 and 1600 grams (without studs) depending on the lot.
    --Peace

NMBP
    I saw a studded tire in a booth at Outdoor Demo today. I didn't pay attention because I don't need studs. If I go back by tomorrow I will snap a photo.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: Studded 5" options

Stugless options

Rocking on a Rocky
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    Stugless options

Well a stug could be cool, but i'll stick with studs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2LO4U2C View Post
    These studs can't be like this from the factory?

Name:	P1140369-e1410204982830-600x800.jpg 
Views:	512 
Size:	144.4 KB 
ID:	922020
    Why do you say that? Looks like a good patern to me. Some in the very middle would be nice as well though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Why do you say that?
    The Stud install looks questionable
    Studded 5" options-p1140369-e1410204982830.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I was noting the same thing in the fat-bike video about the Snowshoe XLs:

(@ 21-22 seconds):

mtbr member

Studded 5" options

Good catch. That does look shoddy. Maybe just a knock up demo but come correct to Interbike where everyone is gonna see you ****.

Anchorage, AK
    240, same as the 4 inch Dillingers from last year. On the Dillinger that is not quite enough, in my opinion. On this tire, given the sticky silca compound used to make the tire, it may be enough. But, I am really just guessing.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Does anyone know what type of stud is in the Snowshoe XLs; screw-in or press-in, inverted "T" shape like used on the Dillingers, Nokians, and Schwalbe studded tires.

Also, the diameter of the holes would be handy to know.

I have a set of studless XLs on the way that I will be studding in my own pattern. 100 Dillinger studs runs about $25 which is a great deal, whereas Grip Studs run about $100 for 100 and are heavier.

Did I catch a niner+?
    Looking at the pic it looks like a push in style not a screw in style. I am not aware of any tire that is screw in style from the factory. You are going to need a tool to push them in though which I am sure you are aware of.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    45nrth sell the tool too

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks guys, that is what I am thinking, but the photo posted a few posts ago has the spikes sticking way out like they were screwed in. I will post my findings as soon as I receive the tires and studs.

EDIT: Hit the jackpot, found a website showing photos of many replacement push-in studs, showing that the dimensions are very similar for all brands and they are generally interchangeable: The Golden Wrench: Replacement Studs for Studded Tires
    Last edited by ten80; 10-11-2014 at 09:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    So I'm thinking I should look at getting some full fat studs this winter instead of trying to switch back and forth between the full fat (Moonlander) bike with no studs and the skinny(er) bike (Krampus) with ice spikers.
    I'm just curious what you didn't like about last year's strategy with 2 bikes?

I'm debating whether to stud my bud and lou's, but I'm wondering if it turns them into a compromise tire for all conditions? It seems like the studs would be a disadvantage in non-icy conditions. How well do studded tires work on rocks with a loose coating of snow on them?

Then again, if you head out without the studs and find a surprise icy patch, you're kinda hosed. I'm guessing you're concluding it's worth lugging the studs around for the insurance... ?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    The Krampus with ice spikers works only when things are well packed on the trails (which can happen on some popular loops around here) and/or around town as a commuter. On the trails if you go off the narrow packed area just a bit, the front wheel generally dives to the bottom of the snowpack and you may or may not go OTB.

Around here we can get chinook weather in the middle of winter which can bring the temperatures well above freezing which results in sheets of ice for some time afterwards - the most interesting conditions we get around here are when we have a few inches of fresh snow fall on this ice - too soft/unsteerable for the spikey krampus and too slidey (especially downhill) on the bottom for the moonlander without studs - don't get me started about off-camber bits of trail in this state....

I want a tire setup that I can confidently ride all season without a care for the current day's conditions.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Re: Studded 5" options

The Krampus with ice spikers works only when things are well packed on the trails (which can happen on some popular loops around here) and/or around town as a commuter. On the trails if you go off the narrow packed area just a bit, the front wheel generally dives to the bottom of the snowpack and you may or may not go OTB.

Around here we can get chinook weather in the middle of winter which can bring the temperatures well above freezing which results in sheets of ice for some time afterwards - the most interesting conditions we get around here are when we have a few inches of fresh snow fall on this ice - too soft/unsteerable for the spikey krampus and too slidey (especially downhill) on the bottom for the moonlander without studs - don't get me started about off-camber bits of trail in this state....

I want a tire setup that I can confidently ride all season without a care for the current day's conditions.
    Cool, makes sense! I think you just sold me on studded Bud and Lou.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2LO4U2C View Post
    The Stud install looks questionable

Name:	P1140369-e1410204982830.jpg 
Views:	2240 
Size:	109.2 KB 
ID:	922250
    i had a few like that, i tried pushing them in, sort of worked, then i pulled them right out and pushed them in and they seated perfectly. schwable say to put 40km of pave pounding on new studded tires to seat them so i did this with mine and they are deeper again.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    I got the D5 and all the studs were seated well and did not lose a sigle stud all year long.
    The D5 has concave studs that are very sharp so I don't dare ride them on the pave.

This place needs an enema
    I brought in studded D4's, D5's, and Vee XL's to sell this year.

But for my own bike I used Kold Kutters on a set of Maxxis FBF and FBR 4.8's.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Windigo View Post
    I got the D5 and all the studs were seated well and did not lose a sigle stud all year long.
    The D5 has concave studs that are very sharp so I don't dare ride them on the pave.
    Riding a bit on pavement wasn't bad, no detrimental effects, the pressure is very spread out between all the studs. I believe they are tungsten, so very hard. Same results with no lost studs.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    After dumping the stupid amount of money on studded Dillinger's last year, I was super paranoid about riding on pavement, but then I thought about studded car tires and the amount they drive on pavement, I stopped worrying. Between riding in the mountains and commuting, I did about 600 miles last winter on every terrain possible and they are still in great shape ready for another season.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I brought in studded D4's, D5's, and Vee XL's to sell this year.

Can they be run tubeless? How many are you using? Do the 3/8th go through?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    How many Kold Kutters do you have in each tire?
    '15 Evil The Following
    '15 Spec Fatboy R

Quote Originally Posted by cycloxer13 View Post
    How many Kold Kutters do you have in each tire?
    I have a set with ~120/tire and a set with 250/tire. 120 seems about right, or maybe even a bit high. 250 seemed like massive overkill.

mtbr member
    Good to know. What do you think about studding the side lugs? Not necessary?
    '15 Evil The Following
    '15 Spec Fatboy R

Quote Originally Posted by cycloxer13 View Post
    Good to know. What do you think about studding the side lugs? Not necessary?
    Try it and share your opinion.

mtbr member
    I broke down and bought the studded Dillinger 5's. I have limited experience with winter and tires. I ran the stock Barbegazis for two rides in the snow and likely with way too much pressure. Scared me to death. Ice almost took me down a number of times. Did not like it.

Put the D5's on.

Clearly narrower which I was a little bummed about.

I am still experimenting with snow and air pressure but they seem better than the Barbegazzis.

The trails I ride have gone from about 5" of wet, greasy snow to about two inches of packed snow with ice in the corners. I also commute 10 miles a day on a bike path and roads. Varying amounts of ice.

Bottom line is, these tires take ice OUT OF THE EQUATION>> Non factor. I see ice in a corner and hit it like it's dirt.

100% confidence inspiring.

I was worried about the studs sliding on tar. Nope.

Other than they are stupid expensive I could not recommend them more if you encounter ice.
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

I Love my Rize
    I rode D5's tonight on mulefut 80sl on a frozen swamp at 7 psi and it felt likes riding pavement as far as the ease stupid grip. Best $$$ ever spent for FUN!!!
    Early to bed early to RIZE makes a man healthy, wealthy <(scratch that) and wize.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY