Strong rims?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Strong rims?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Strong rims?

I've got a Fatback Rhino that I've put just over 700 miles on. I'm a big dude, a bit over 300lbs (I know, I'm working on it) and just broke my third spoke on the rear wheel, so the shop wants to replace the rim.

Looking for suggestions for a tough rim. Not super concerned about weight.

I've been using the Blizzerk SL90s it came with. Right now I'm thinking I might just go with the Blizzerk 90, since as far as I can tell it should be stronger than the SL90, but it's hard to find a company than emphasizes strength instead of weight so I'm having trouble digging up anything good. The shop is also researching, so we'll see what he comes up with too.

Thanks!

Elitest thrill junkie
    The build is most likely more of an issue, rather than the rim itself. The spokes and nipples used, critically, the spoke lengths being correct in the nipple, in addition to the type of spokes, count, etc. Look for a double-wall rim design, carbon or aluminum. I would say that my double wall 650g carbon 90s are way stronger than anything comparable in aluminum, but they are a little pricey too. Overbuilt is overbuilt though. In general, if you are popping spokes and not hitting the rim against surfaces (which is also bad), then the issue is more with the build and less with the rim.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

This place needs an enema
    Did the shop tell you why they want to replace the rim?

Do you know where/how all three spokes broke? At the threads, at the bend, in the middle?

Were all three JRA incidents, or did you hit/scrape any of them on rocks?

I ask all of these questions because breaking spokes is typically more indicative of poor spoke tension balance than anything rim related.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    All three were broken right at the nipple.

The first broke when going through a rock garden at low speed, but with an extra 50lbs on the bike (my daughter in a Mac Ride seat). The second I discovered broken before a ride, I'm not sure when it let go. The third was hen I hit a bigger-than-expected ditch at maybe 18mph. Was a pretty good hit, the fork bottomed out with a pretty loud thunk too.

I don't think any of them were ever damaged by rocks or any direct impact.

I think two of them might have been close to the same place in the rim, though--by the valve stem. Probably doesn't mean anything.

I'm pretty sure the shop retensioned the wheels at least once, and he's supposed to be a pretty good wheelbuilder, so I don't think it would be tension related, but I'm not sure. The wheels have never been out of true except when the rear has had a broken spoke.

Looks like we've already got a Blizzerk 90 on the way, so we'll see if it holds up better.

turtles make me hot
    That rim, double butted spokes and brass nipples all combined with a good quality build should do ya.

What are you running for tires?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    4.8" Jumbo Jims, usually 8.5-9psi. Saturday when the spoke broke I was at 10.

Human Test Subject
    As everyone is saying, it's probably more the quality of the wheel build and the parts than your weight. Me + my cargo bike + cargo is a lot heavier than you and I've never even trued the wheels in 2k miles.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tommy C View Post
    All three were broken right at the nipple.
    When you say this, do you mean the spoke broke, or the nipple broke? It matters which it was. Both are indicative of build problems.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Iím 330 pounds, my rims are stock surly large marge, but the Spokes 14 gauge, Phil wood hub tandem version, 36 hole. Thick axles, sealed cartridge bearings. , Not cheap, but 10 yrs trouble free on my pugsley.