Strange hairline crack appearing on steel fat bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Strange hairline crack appearing on steel fat bike

Hi, Absolutely love my steel framed fat bike but concerned about the appearance of a small hairline crack about half way / two thirds of the way down the top tube.

I don't think this is the area of the butting and the bike has had no major impacts except a darned good hack through a rock garden last weekend, during which time tyre pressures were at 3/4psi and the bike performed flawlessly. IStrange hairline crack appearing on steel fat bike-image.jpgStrange hairline crack appearing on steel fat bike-image.jpgStrange hairline crack appearing on steel fat bike-image.jpgStrange hairline crack appearing on steel fat bike-image.jpg have had it approx two months.

It is tange db Cromoly steel so this kind of use should surely be within acceptable tolerances. My lbs seems to think it is a crack in the paint glaze. I have had plenty of steel frames but have never seen this - am I being paranoid given the flexible nature of the steel or could this be something more sinister? Perhaps being white and clean such things are more easy to see?

Any observations would be appreciated, H

Rocking on a Rocky
    email the pics to Charge.
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

That's an odd place for a crack to develop. Normally they develop at a stress point like a weld, a braze-on, or a bend. It could just be a paint issue (not enough flexibility in the paint), but you won't know unless you magniflux the frame.

blood in / blood out
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyJo1 View Post
    I agree with this.

But it does look like a paint issue or? When your handlebars swing around, will your brake lever hit in this area? Sometimes brake levers will scare the paint if they pass over the top tube in a crash and leave a mark like that.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyJo1 View Post
    This is your best idea. Worst case it's ok, best case new frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Thanks for your comments. No, checked turning radius of bars, no contact. If I straddle the bike the crack is below, er, my crack so I cannot image that would scratch it either unless perhaps the zip of my shorts or jacket.

mtbr member
    I doubt your crack cracked it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Have emailed Charge so will see what comes of it.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Try some aviation A&P mechanics, they could probably tell you if it's a crack or not.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I would work on taking better quality pics before I send them off to Charge.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    I would work on taking better quality pics before I send them off to Charge.
    --

Charge got straight back to me saying that this should not be happening, and that pictures of the crack were not necessary (could not send in the contact us form). They have suggested swapping out the frame for a new one through my Canadian dealer. Let us hope the dealer behaves himself but I assume I am within my rights as a consumer in Canada to ask for a replacement?

banned
    Mar 2015
    Your bike's way too clean mang. New frame? That thing's cleaner than new! Bet it's just cosmetic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I stroke her every day :-D I seriously love this bike and treat her with care - you're probably right but I might as well cover my bases just in case and try to get it replaced.

banned
    Mar 2015
    I have the same bike and love it almost as much as my daughter.

Headed out to crush some crust on it it in a few.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by simple1 View Post
    I have the same bike and love it almost as much as my daughter.

Headed out to crush some crust on it it in a few.
    --

NIIICE! They are such great bikes, unique in appearance and great geometry and handling. I am sad to see the crack but it would seem to be an unusual problem with Charge (or steel) bikes. I still have the faith!

mtbr member
    Sounds like Charge is being very cool about this.

mtbr member
    Always do a simple stress test. Just put your leg behind the crack and push against it on both sides. If you see the crack move, it's cracked. That's a long crack, so if it's done, you'll be able to tell.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Looks cosmetic - cracks very rarely start in the middle of a tube for no reason, they normally propagate from a point of high stress

banned
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Charger H View Post
    --

NIIICE! They are such great bikes, unique in appearance and great geometry and handling. I am sad to see the crack but it would seem to be an unusual problem with Charge (or steel) bikes. I still have the faith!
    Perfect geometry and handling to be sure. A highly evolved species it is. Crazy good ride this morning. the bike is just so daMn smooth. Putting a bluto on such a fine riding rig would do it such a disservice. The stock chromo fork is the perfect mate.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I would expect a crack in underside of the tube. I think it will be the Paint. Never the less an warranty issue

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I definitely lean towards paint flaw...but it sure sounds like the company is being good about it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blown240 View Post
    I doubt your crack cracked it.
    But if his crack cracked it... that would be some powerful crack...

I agree with others - most likely just a paint issue - had a number of similar things show up on my white Pugs. Best send pic off to Charge and let them determine how they want to address it. Until then? Ride it like you stole it and hope it isn't a frame crack that's going to put you on the ground at an inopportune time.

Edit - I should read the whole thread before replying...Fail for me.

mtbr member
    Clear coat crack. It's not just a little scratch?
    Wife has an '89 Cannondale with a similar looking crack near the BB, it's just the clearcoat, not even the white paint. Also, you'd have to be pretty darn gnarly to crack a steel frame. More than likely the forces would cause the tube to bend, or crease, in the middle than to crack.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I have to say I am grateful for all you good folks on this forum. I was pretty bummed out about this but your input has put me in a better place. I, and my crack, are most appreciative... :-)

I should also mention that my lbs has offered to 'upgrade' me to a 9Zero7 with the same offset ' for a reasonable price. Trouble is it is alu which is not my thing and I just like my Charger.. Is it really worth it?

mtbr member
    If you're possitive it's a crack in the paint and you like your frame, I'd keep it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    Clear coat crack. It's not just a little scratch?
    Wife has an '89 Cannondale with a similar looking crack near the BB, it's just the clearcoat, not even the white paint. Also, you'd have to be pretty darn gnarly to crack a steel frame. More than likely the forces would cause the tube to bend, or crease, in the middle than to crack.
    ---

Very good point...

mtbr member
    Pin the rear of the frame between something( like 2 trees that are close together) and lean on the head tube with a little force....does the "crack" open any?....if it does, strip the frame and get another one. You do not want to be riding it if it fails...been there, done that.
    The bike is never to heavy, you are just to WEAK!

mtbr member
    The manufacturer recommended to have the frame changed out. What's the problem? I understand your reluctance to get back to whoever you purchased it form and have that done.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIEF500 View Post
    The manufacturer recommended to have the frame changed out. What's the problem? I understand your reluctance to get back to whoever you purchased it form and have that done.
    --

I am not reluctant to do it, rather frustrated that such a small thing cannot quantifiably be diagnosed, thus the necessity of a frame change.
    But as mentioned above, in the meantime I will ride it like I stole it..

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    So.. After being bounced back and forth between UK Charge and their supplier in Ontario Cannondale they have agreed to replace the frame as it is difficult to stress test with conclusive evidence. Charge has done extremely well and have mitigated my concerns.

However for those of you in Ontario steer clear of Neworld cycles in Burlington. I was asked to take the bike there for stress tests. On returning the bike to me it had numerous further scratches and damage - they had obviously jumped on it and chucked it about. When I questioned the owner Victor about this he told me he no longer wanted anything to do with it, and shouted me down, telling me to leave the store. If you want to buy a bike I would suggest to go elsewhere, this man and his store is to be avoided at all costs.

I will post pics when I get my new frame :-)

mtbr member
    Cool that charge is being so cool about it!

Too bad your LBS isn't...