Stock Pugs- Mtbr.com

Thread: Stock Pugs

Powered by ice cream.

Stock Pugs

Now I see why they are called "Fat"

37lbs stock out of the box.

It is interesting to ride and I will see if I think it can compete with 29" wheels on more rocky and trail type terrain.

Pretty nice package out of the box. I generally like the spec and the full length housing. The lowest gear on the cassette is 32t which is sorta dumb for this bike IMO.

No other comment except dang it's heavy and the cranks are stupidly designed with razors on the side for your ankles.

The price is right and the bike appears to be strong, cheap, and uh, cheap

Is there any easy way to get this thing down to the 30 lb range, or is it just the nature of these bikes to be..um, portly?

To add another perspective: This thing is soo heavy, as I was commuting home, climbing a decent road grade near our house, my 10yo came down the hill on his bike to greet me. We both "tested" each other a little, on the 1/2 mile climb back up the hill, soon enough, we were both going at maximum pace climbing pace, just blowing up. He beat me.....barely. He is getting stronger and all, but usually there would be no contest in a climb.

E
    Last edited by Enel; 07-24-2011 at 03:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Easiest/cheapest way to get a big chunk of weight off is to change tubes. I use Qtubes 26x2.4 without issue. Made a nice difference for under $15!
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Technically it is a 29er. Measure the wheels

Just Ride!
    I run an 8spd 11-30. Not bad for some beach riding. I use a 11-28 8spd XT on my 29er, I just got used to it.
    Last edited by Pigtire; 07-14-2011 at 01:33 PM.

A Surly Maverick
    Hi Enel

Thought you might make it over to the FATSIDE from the 29er board.

The Pug IS a great bike and is Portly by nature.

Lightness is not it`s middle name and the frame itself is steel.

Weight loss can be achieved with the liberal application of $$$, but if you really want lighter you should look at other Aluminium frames and not the Pug .........

BUT for smiles per $ the Pug can`t be beat !

Cheers,
    Dr FG
    Life IS a Beach and then you Corrode :)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Is there any easy way to get this thing down to the 30 lb range, or is it just the nature of these bikes to be..um, portly?

E
    You could SS it. My SS one is about 33. That's with heavy brakes, a brooks, and heavy-ish crankset so there's room for more weight savings. You might be able to get to 30.

You could also drill the rims. I hear that saves significant weight.

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by 7daysaweek View Post
    You could SS it. My SS one is about 33. That's with heavy brakes, a brooks, and heavy-ish crankset so there's room for more weight savings. You might be able to get to 30.

You could also drill the rims. I hear that saves significant weight.
    SS is definitely in its future if I decide to stay Fat and asymmetric. For the near future, there are a lot of folks who want to demo/borrow it so I will leave the gears on.

This bike is to test the following:

Do I like fat tires for technical trail riding?

Can I tolerate a 100mm BB spacing?

I can tell you from one short ride that these wheels are shockingly effective in loose sand. Wow.

mtbr member
    Hi Enel ,I thought I noticed Pugs tracks around Prescott that weren't Mine !
    Glad to see another fat bike in Arizona. I am running 20t-36t granny on My Pugs and it
    helps get the 38 lbs. up the hills. Just takes a bit longer !

WNC Native
    Congrats man!
    Very curious to see your thoughts on your rock riding. I had a blast testing out that fat front!
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Imo gearing is so important with a fatbike. I ran Middleburn 20/30/40 and loved the combination, but decided I hadn't thrown enough money at my Pugs yet so bought a Rohloff ( heavy and expensive but worth it imo ) I'm now running 17-90 g.i. Very little effort climbing with 17g.i. It's slow, but you get there.

btw, with one spare tube and no tools my Pugs comes in at a svelte 46.6 lbs. With basic tools I'm estimating 49, and with my Revelate bag coming in soon I figure it will be 53+ lbs without h2o or anything in the bag. About technical climbing. imo a stock Pugs/fatbike may not be the best for that, but you can tune them with a lot of thought and money to perform very well.

Back to the weight issue. You will get used the weight over time. Just get the the right gearing and you should have no worries.

mtbr member
    If it wasn't I had to lift mine over fences, I wouldn't care about the weight. You simply don't notice it on the bike.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonoran pug View Post
    Hi Enel ,I thought I noticed Pugs tracks around Prescott that weren't Mine !
    Those weren't mine. There is a Mukluk around here somewhere

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    You simply don't notice it on the bike.
    I have to say that just fooling around on the thing, I haven't noticed it much. Wheelies and track stands very nicely.

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Now I see why they are called "Fat"...37lbs stock out of the box...it's heavy...is it just the nature of these bikes to be..um, portly?...
    That's no way to talk about a lady, show us yer abs mr. 4% body fat

Powered by ice cream.
    First Dirt:

Let me be honest and say why I bought a Pugsley: I am fat-curious.

I have no doubt in my mind (especially after riding one) that these sorts of bikes simply dominate in situations requiring lots of flotation. I personally don't get in many situations where the flotation is really needed. The question for me, then, is: How to fat bikes perform as all around trail bikes?

I have been spinning along just fine on my 29 inch wheels for some time now and am very happy with them for overall trail riding purposes. I am also reasonably dedicated to the rigid mountain bike as one of the more fun trail contraptions ever made.

My admittedly biased hypothesis going into this is that Fat bikes are superb niche bikes excelling in situations requiring flotation, but not necessarily the best tool for the job in other situations.

So what is the ultimate unsuspended trail bike? 29", full fat? Fat front? I am going to try to find out that answer for me.

I shortened the stem and installed a bash ring on the Pugs, set the psi to 8 front and rear, then hit the trails.

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/26513361?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0" frameborder="0" height="600" width="800"></iframe>

Climbing, the weight was pretty noticeable but not particularly annoying. I did stall out unexpectedly on some steeper obstacles. The only thing that annoyed me was the lack of traction for the rear endomorph on loose over hardpack. I dropped the pressure to around 4-5 and saw no significant improvement. Most of my knobbly 29" tires have much better traction. In this situation, flotation is a negative. It broke loose in an interesting way in that it didn't lose traction as suddenly as a skinnier wheel, it broke a bit and gave plenty of warning so it was easy to control.

Time to hit some obstacles:
    <iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/26513150?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0" frameborder="0" height="600" width="800"></iframe>

I found the weight of the wheels pulling me sometimes into lines I didn't necessarily choose, but it didn't seem to matter because whatever they pulled me into, they also usually got me out of.

The Pugsley "rides small" and I thought handled quite nicely, neither too nervous, nor overyly blah.

Climbing moves were harder for sure. There is no denying the weight. Downhill slow loose tech was about the same to a little easier than 29" hoops.

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/26513177?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0" frameborder="0" height="600" width="800"></iframe>

Bashing through rough rocky downhills was a hoot. It is absolutely still a rigid bike, but pretty idiot proof.

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/26513120?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0" frameborder="0" height="600" width="800"></iframe>

I didn't pinch flat although I am sure I hit the rim a couple times since I did not raise the rear pressure from about 4psi until the end of the ride. I wasn't going real fast though so I got away with it. I have one small bit of Endomorph sidewall showing some fibers after this ride.

Never once did I run out of braking traction on the front. Considering how loose it is, I was favorably impressed.

The bike acquitted itself well in rolling sections. It was confidence inspiring, but still felt pretty slow, even downhill.

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/26513222?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0" frameborder="0" height="600" width="800"></iframe>

While we were riding, my son commented on a couple sandy sections. I didn't even notice them. Now he wants fatter tires for his bike

Conclusions? None really, but a couple early thoughts forming:

1. Most of the benefit for trail riding seems to be coming from the front. I have a fat front on the way for the Jones, so more on that later I guess.

2. These are very heavy, yet very capable bikes.

3. I wonder how the tires and wheels will hold up to technical terrain/riding? This is not putzing along through snow/sand. A reliable source has told me that offset wheels simply will not hold up to this treatment, and if I want stay in fat land, I will eventually need a symmetric set up for durability.

Last edited by Enel; 07-16-2011 at 02:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Enel; thanks for the effort you put into this thread, well written and I enjoyed
    the videos, helping me form my own ideas.

Glad to see that another tread design and an increased size is on the way;
    more decisions.

Really I am that slow

Good job!

Thanks a ton for the post E
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

Black Sheep rising
    Re: Endo traction... This may be a case where a little MORE air would improve traction. I generally run a bit more pressure for similar conditions (loose over hardpack). And there's always the option of a Larry....
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06