mtbr member

Sterling or Snowshoe?

I'm looking for new tires and I'm wondering about these two options from Vee tire. I know there has been some inconsistency regarding their widths, but as long as it fits in the back of a Pug (which I have read that it does) I don't care if the width on the sidewall is the actual width of the tire. I know these are both super new tires, but which ones are you getting?

The Snowshoe looks like it may have larger tread, both use the silica-compound rubber, both use the same casing which from what I understand is believed to be less tolerant of the low pressures that people run on the Innova (Surly) tires. Any side by side comparisons? Should I just go with Nates?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Sterling front, Snowshoe rear? Try something new! What are the conditions like where you ride?
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I've held them both side by side and compared the Snowshoe to a Nate on a rim. You're correct that the only difference between Sterling and Snowshoe is tread pattern. Snowshoe the blocks are a bit further apart but honestly you'd probably be hard pressed to tell a difference between the two tires in most riding conditions. The low price and low weight is nice; if you ride ice on your Fatbike, the rubber on Sterling/Snowshoe is supposed to be better at low temps but I can't confirm that.

What I can tell you is that Nate is a kickass tire. If you ride slop it's hard to go wrong with it.

mtbr member
    I rode the Nates last year and I liked them a lot, but the price/weight/volume of these new Vee tires were intriguing anyhow. I'll be riding a wide variety of snow conditions (Vermont), mostly looking for a winter tire here rather than a year-round sort of thing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    How they roll on singletrack? Are they fast tires? Or slow with a lot of rolling resistance?

Only dead people are old
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstews View Post
    I rode the Nates last year and I liked them a lot, but the price/weight/volume of these new Vee tires were intriguing anyhow. I'll be riding a wide variety of snow conditions (Vermont), mostly looking for a winter tire here rather than a year-round sort of thing.
    I have Sterling tires and I can tell you that the Nate is better for rear traction in most snow conditions. The Sterling does well but packs up and little (not to bad) in some snow conditions. In deeper snow or mildly wet to slop the Nate is a better performer on the rear. The Sterling is the second best tire I've used on the rear so I'm impressed with it plus it sticks very well to surfaces that the Nate will slide out on (leaving you on the ground) - like hard packed roads and ice. The Sterling with Grip Studs would probably far exceed the Dillinger in all conditions. As a front tire the Sterling is awesome and tracks well. However it will develop some self-steer if you run the pressure as low as some other tires. I typically run a slightly higher pressure and it performs better than other tires at these higher pressures on the front.

mtbr member
    I ended up ordering the Snowhoes. The few pictures floating around seem to show that they have a wider tread area than the sterling, and that the profile should be pretty good on an 82mm rim. Also a little more volume than a Nate, probably as big as I'm going to get into the rear of my Pugs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I was looking at both but found a good price on the Snowshoes so just went with them. Both are reportedly about the same size, even though the Snowshoe is labeled 4.7. I'm hoping the rear will fit my 907 170mm frame when mounted on Marge Lites.