Steering feel on my new Lurch W/Bluto.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Steering feel on my new Lurch W/Bluto.

OK so I went for a quick ride around my neighborhood and noticed that my Lurch steering feels very sluggish. Is it because of the head angle and the 120mm Bluto? Saturday I did a pretty quick (at least for me it was) lap around a warm up loop we have. It has a couple of short hard packed berms and the steering felt weird. Kinda like I have to really work to get it to turn.
    Tires are inflated to around 12 PSI. 70mm Easton Havoc Stem and Monkey Lite Easton bars (uncut).
    I would hate to have to look for a new frame set .

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Modifying the travel of the fork would be a heck of a lot easier than buying a new frame. My personal opinion is that the AC on the 120mm Bluto is likely a bit much for the Lurch.

I put the BD carbon fork on mine, which is still a little longer than the steel fork, but much shorter than the Bluto. I think it handles awesome. Again, cant ride hard with my busted up collarbone, but I have no complaints.

I flipped my Bluto quickly and have about $1060 in the bike.

mtbr member
    I had mine out over the weekend and honestly, I don't have any problem with the steering. It is a little slacker than my other rides (the two Ibis bikes in my sig are old school steep head angles and carve as you would expect).

Could you just be getting used to the monster truck tires on that thing? Do you have the sag set?
    2016 Pivot Mach 429er Pro 1X
    2008 Cannondale Rush
    2001 Ibis Ripley Soft Tail
    1997 Ibis Alibi HT
    Motobecane Lurch Fat Bike

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I don't have anything set on the Bluto. I rode it and adjusted the pre load a bit and that was it. Something tells me I don't have something set up on the Bluto correctly hugh? Lots of dials on this thing so don't want to screw something up. I went from riding a 26" FS Specialized to this Lurch so maybe its a getting use to thing. It sucks because I am keeping up with the "quick" guys on the single track but when it gets really twisty I have to slow down so much.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xpcgamer View Post
    I don't have anything set on the Bluto. I rode it and adjusted the pre load a bit and that was it. Something tells me I don't have something set up on the Bluto correctly hugh? Lots of dials on this thing so don't want to screw something up. I went from riding a 26" FS Specialized to this Lurch so maybe its a getting use to thing. It sucks because I am keeping up with the "quick" guys on the single track but when it gets really twisty I have to slow down so much.
    I got a Sturgis Bullet with the Bluto.
    When I unboxed it, the fork had air trapped in the neg. chamber and the fork was running at 100mm travel and functioning properly. When I finally discovered that I had to release the trapped air from the neg. chamber, the fork popped up to 120mm. Being able to ride it first at 100 then immediately at 120 told me that the extra fork travel slowed down the steering a little. That's on the SB, though. I think the Lurch is built around a shorter fork(?), so maybe a 120mm Bluto really is too much and 100 would be better.

2 more things:
    - My bike steers much heavier with the stock Snowshoe tires than with a Surly Bud up front.
    - My damping setting (bottom of fork leg) at freezing temperatures is 2 or 3 clicks open from non-freezing temperatures

But try it for awhile, you'll prob'ly just get used to it.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I am running Fat B nimbels 67 TPI. I brought the Manuel that came with the Bluto and it told me nothing on tuning it. I'll take a look tonight.

bigger than you.
    the 120 Bluto has likely slackened the frame beyond the design parameters; as a result, the steering may feel sluggish. You can either learn to adapt by riding it and getting used to it, go with wider bars to increase your leverage or shorten the travel. Most frames are optimized for 80mm and many find that 100mm is acceptable.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Fatty's require more steering input in general, but they turn just fine. If this is your first time riding one, your reaction is normal. You'll get used to it, and maybe even learn to like it.
    A different stem length can compensate a bit, too, but I'd just try riding it out.

since 4/10/2009
    The Bucksaw has a really slack head angle. Much more slack than what I was used to. At first, the handling difference was super noticeable. After a couple hundred miles, I don't notice it anymore. I've adapted to it by now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I don't have anything set on the Bluto. I rode it and adjusted the pre load a bit and that was it. Something tells me I don't have something set up on the Bluto correctly hugh?
    There's a lot written on air suspensiion setups, but here is my simple approach that should get you at least started.

-Use the sticker to determine air pressure for my weight, adjust as neccessary.
    -Count clicks for the full range of rebound, then set it in the middle.
    -Compression knob all the way forward for big hits or hard downhills. All the way clockwise (locked) for pavement or steep climbing. Somewhere in the middle for general trail riding.
    -Adjust from there. If I bottom out, more air. If I never use the full range, less air. If feel bouncy, slower rebound. If it loads up (feels like it freezes) over fast rooty sections, faster rebound. Compression is more a setting than an adjustment and I use the full range during normal riding, but I typically spend the most time right in the middle.

Please excuse any typos...I still suck on this ipad.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks. How do I adjust travel height?

since 4/10/2009
    Thanks. How do I adjust travel height?
    Take the fork apart and replace the internals. There are kits to do so. Can be kinda spensive.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Yep. Need parts for that and its over my head. Might check the Bluto tuning thread.

When Joe from BD commented on the Lurch thread, he recommended 30% sag. You might try setting the fork by sag instead of using the air pressure from the sticker.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I talked to Borealis before I ordered my Bluto, they recommended nothing bigger for the large Yampa frame than the 80mm... Still waiting for the fork but I'm anxious to see how it handles... I might have jumped the gun on buying the Yampa frame but needing suspension at the time was far from my mind, now that I'm hooked I need a little cushy for the ride..

mtbr member
    OK so I went for a quick ride around my neighborhood and noticed that my Lurch steering feels very sluggish. Is it because of the head angle and the 120mm Bluto? Saturday I did a pretty quick (at least for me it was) lap around a warm up loop we have. It has a couple of short hard packed berms and the steering felt weird. Kinda like I have to really work to get it to turn.
    Tires are inflated to around 12 PSI. 70mm Easton Havoc Stem and Monkey Lite Easton bars (uncut).
    I would hate to have to look for a new frame set .
    What did you ride before? Try this, move your brakes, shifters and grips in a inch on each side. See how it rides, you may not be used wide bars. They give you more leverage but you have to move them more to turn the same amount.
    The bike is never to heavy, you are just to WEAK!

Perpetual n00b
    I had to flip my stem and remove all the headset spacers to get my Lurch + 100mm Bluto + Bud to steer and climb decent.
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I am coming from a 26" Full squish Sepcialized. I think I the bars being to wide and the Bluto not being tuned has something to do with it. I thought that since the On One fatty has those super wide bars and I haven't heard of anybody complaining about their steering I would be ok.

mtbr member
    It just occurred to me, with all this talk about bar width.......this probably is a leading reason why I feel comfortable on the Lurch from day 1......most of my other bikes have full width bars with the exception of the Ripley softail. So naturally I think I had less adjustment period to the Lurch handling other than dealing with what happens to tires as wide as my F-250......
    2016 Pivot Mach 429er Pro 1X
    2008 Cannondale Rush
    2001 Ibis Ripley Soft Tail
    1997 Ibis Alibi HT
    Motobecane Lurch Fat Bike

bigger than you.
    I am coming from a 26" Full squish Sepcialized. I think I the bars being to wide and the Bluto not being tuned has something to do with it. I thought that since the On One fatty has those super wide bars and I haven't heard of anybody complaining about their steering I would be ok.
    what's your stem length?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    what's your stem length?
    Easton Havoc-50mm. To short perhaps?

bigger than you.
    Easton Havoc-50mm. To short perhaps?
    if anything a shorter term and wider bars would improve the handling.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I think so too. I also don't think this is related to the fat tire feel. At 12psi it should handle pretty good.