Steering Dampers...- Mtbr.com
    junea memba!
    Apr 2006

Steering Dampers...

...who is using one? Which one?

Yeah, just in case, I searched.

RAKC
    I had to search that, then just lmao. I can see it for people with limited use of an arm etc, but beyond that imo its a "need to learn to ride, not rely on some contraption". Fat bikes definitely arent hard to control.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Steering dampers have just been a main topic in this thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/brrrrly-995339-6.html

Seems like they improve fat bike handling to say the least. I see how that can be in low speeds on a tight single track.

Chris.

junea memba!
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    I had to search that, then just lmao. I can see it for people with limited use of an arm etc, but beyond that imo its a "need to learn to ride, not rely on some contraption". Fat bikes definitely arent hard to control.
    Well, gravity riders use dampers to keep from being deflected out of their track...

...and there's a considerable amount of "hand-crafted" singletrack set around here. The track is usually something less than 12" wide, and can be pretty lumpy and/or troughed out.

My zen is not good enough to stay in the groove.

I see that Mikesee has added one to his new fat bike (thanks, krzysiekmz. The search engine didn't find that.)

Frame Building Moderator Moderator
    They're back?

I had Hopeys about 10 years ago. Got tired of messing with them and decided they didn't really help me much. Ran dampers all the time on motos a long time ago and like them.

Who is making them for bikes these days?

-Walt

junea memba!
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    They're back?

I had Hopeys about 10 years ago. Got tired of messing with them and decided they didn't really help me much. Ran dampers all the time on motos a long time ago and like them.

Who is making them for bikes these days?

-Walt
    Well, Hopey is still in business. I just looked 'em up, and they are not cheap. Hopey is what Mike has outfitted on his new Faat bike.

Way back (80's), I put a damper on my bike for downhill racing. I also concluded that it didn't help much, and I was afraid that I'd stab myself with the pointy end if I stacked.

But...that was a thru shock and it damped both ways. Hopeys are only damping away from center, and that may be a good thing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by luker View Post
    Well, gravity riders use dampers to keep from being deflected out of their track...
    Maybe they used to, I've never seen one on the lift.

Rippin da fAt
    Good Lord! HAven't seen one of em since the early 80's. They were marginal then, let alone now.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

This place needs an enema
    For really soft, unconsolidated, wind affected snow, they are incredible. They keep you riding in places where without them you'd simply be walking.

For everything else, and I mean *everything* else: meh.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    For really soft, unconsolidated, wind affected snow, they are incredible. They keep you riding in places where without them you'd simply be walking.

For everything else, and I mean *everything* else: meh.
    I was thinking about your comments from the Brrrly thread about steering dampers on my ride today. We've had pretty much nothing but dry, granulated, unconsolidated snow for the past few years here I can see where having a system that limited travel in some way after you've corrected your line, after you've had the tire finally do what you want, but had so much force in the bar that stopping that force after the tire breaks over where it was stuck......

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. But like you say, it is something I would only need in very specific conditions.

I think I'll stick to lowering the air pressure and running really wide bars. That seems to get me by in most situations. Thanks for elucidating the purposes of steering dampers for fat bikes for us all.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com