Steel Fatbikes only- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Steel Fatbikes only

Ive decided to buy another fatbike and I have sold all my other mountain bikes so this will be my only bike, the reason I chose a fatbike is im slow, I like riding in all types of terrain and the last time I had one it was fun as hell!!

Im going with steel frames only!! I have sold every Aluminum framed bike ive owned in the matter of months after buying it, I know the big tires with soak up a lot of the vibration, but I dont want to make the same mistake for the billionth time... And as for carbon, its out of my budget and lets face it, its also really stiff, I liked my Lesfat but I felt every bump on it.

The little bit of research I have started has me leaning towards a Surly ICT... the only thing that bothers me about the newer model is some say it does not climb that great. for those with experience with this bike, do you find that to be true? I also like the Reeb Badonkadonk but it also seems a little pricey...What else is out there that I may be missing?
    2017 Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I tried to pick up an ICT this winter but they were sold out until the next run, which should hit the shelves over the next few months I would think. I wound up getting a Wednesday and I love it. That said, my comparables are a 12 year old Cannondale entry level hardtail and a steel dirt jumper, so no comparables at all. It is far faster climbing than my old hardtail as rollover and grip are insane. With ICT I would not want to roll the 5 inch tires in all four seasons, but I did see a ton of 29+ conversions that got rave reviews. I am currently debating B+ vs 29+ for the Wednesday for warm weather riding.

Reeb was on my list too but got axed due to pricing. Check out the RSD Mayor as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    i currently have an OG Wednesday in the fruity blue and have had the previous gen ICT. I sold the ICT, as i felt the rides per winter where the 4.8 tire was beneficial over the 4.6 amounted to (3) total. the rest of the time the 4.8 was a hindrance for my avg trail conditions.
    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    I have had numerous pugsleys and now have a moonlander (for sale or trade) and an ICT which is my current ride, year round.
    Climbs great, single tracks as good as my talent allows.
    The only fat bike I lust after now is the Big Fat Dummy.

mtbr member
    I almost bought an ICT a year ago but got a deal on a Les Fat that was too good to not at least try. Love the bike, but yeah, it can be stiff, bfat 4.5 tires help though. That said, some days wish I had bought the Jack Frost ICT...something about that steel ride. Doing more bikepacking now too, and steel with all the mounts sure would be nice. I would probably go with the new version myself, just for the shorter cs and new dropouts.

I know a shop with a new 2015 Jack Frost blue in large for a good deal. If interested I can let you know where and you could contact them at least.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Love my ice cream truck. Nothing wrong with Wednesday either.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I like my pugs and my ice cream truck.

Rocking on a Rocky
    509. 5lbs. 2oz. for Medium frame. ($$$ complete bike down to 22 lbs with steel frame!)
    Last edited by RockyJo1; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:50 AM.
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

turtles make me hot
    I missed out on getting a Plutonium Sparkle ICT. Waiting for what comes next.
    I like turtles

Like a FirePlug
    I love my 1st gen ICT and i enjoyed my time with the 2nd gen also, so versital. The 1st gen with the MDS dropouts can give you the adjustable wheel base for different terrain.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...Y7Ieh0zUuNMaro

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...J4WiFZs7TSHGdJ

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Keep the Rubber Side Down

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I missed out on getting a Plutonium Sparkle ICT. Waiting for what comes next.
    Love my yellow one, but the current generation is even better. 140mm and an internal dropper would make it just that much sexier. And 1x.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Absolutely love my Jack frost ict. I run a set of 29+ summer wheels and it's a beast. Also enjoyed riding on the clownshoe/bud/lou wheels but they were a bit heavy and bulky feeling for the riding I do. I also put a bluto fork on and it's like an entirely different bike. You wont be disappointed with an ict.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies, what are the main differences between the ICT 2nd gen and Wednesday?
    My plan was to build a frame up and keep it in the 27 to 29 lb range. Wheels are the biggest decision. Im either thinking HED Aluminum or DT Swiss, im thinking 70 or 80 width. I dont think I will ride in super deep snow.
    2017 Surly Ogre

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    what are the main differences between the ICT 2nd gen and Wednesday?... I dont think I will ride in super deep snow.
    both the gen 2 ICT and Wednesday have similar geometry. Biggest difference is the ICT has a 5" crank and a larger rear hub (197mm) and can run the largest 26x 5.05" and 27.5x4.5" tires easily. Wednesday has a 4" crank and a 177mm rear hub and can "only" run a 26x4.6, which is very capable. I run my 26x4.6 tires on a 90mm rim, and there is no room left for a wider tire.

if you will not be running in deep snow, you may not need the 5" crank and 197 hub of the ICT.

Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    My plan was to build a frame up and keep it in the 27 to 29 lb range. Wheels are the biggest decision. Im either thinking HED Aluminum or DT Swiss, im thinking 70 or 80 width.
    to get into the upper 20's is going to require carbon parts... HED aluminum is made out of paper mache, i would steer clear. Same goes with DTSwiss rims, as there are issues with them tubeless. Intended use would dictate wheel width.

I would suggest have two wheelsets, 29+ and 27.5 fat for either bike. that would cover most uses of the bike.
    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Agreed. Run far and fast from the HED's, I had one literally deform when the bead on the tire seated. I couldn't believe it either, but it had been built not 10 minutes before. Unreal. Carbon is great and all, but even the Surly symmetrical build MOBD rims are pretty damn light, and robust.

I prefer light and functional weights for wheels, it really sucks when stupid light wheels fail to measure up to the use they see....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    How about the Chumba Ursa Major? Will cost a bit more than a Surly, but it is MUSA and has a higher end tube set, I think.

I ride a 616 Bicycle Fabrication fat bike and love it - small company out of MI. They have their Munzie model that can be built with a sus fork. Boutique, but not full custom.
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Currently saving for a 29+ wheelset now... Yellow ICT.

I run 4.0 tires right now, I thought I would ride in the winter, but I just don't. Would be nice to be a little faster/efficient during the summer. I love the bike, does have all kinds of traction on the climbs, but I find that multiple obstacles in a row on a climb and I fail. So, a little lighter rear wheel would be nice. 29+ looks awesome. I also run a suspension fork, manitou mastodon pro. Love it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Iím not riding in the same hardware league as you guys but have to put in my 2 cents on the ECR. Itís my choice for reentry to riding after an embarrassing number of years off,,,,that I really cannot explain. The ECR fits my needs wonderfully and itís a beast. A test ride on 29X3, with the affirmative feel of steel and I was sold.

I live in the sticks, on a dirt /gravel road in central NC. Snow rides will not occur frequently so fatter tires arenít too much benefit for me. My fringe days of single track are probably behind me. The ECR will handle more trail action than I can these days.

All that said, I might do an ICT build in the coming year. It sure looks fun....... My neighbor, also an older dude, rides a Spesh Fatboy and it looks inviting but I find that Iíve quickly become a Surly kinda guy.

sluice box
    The prototype steel Fatback Corvus looks nice.
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-opski View Post
    The prototype steel Fatback Corvus looks nice.
    Link?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sluice box
    Quote Originally Posted by racefit View Post
    Link?

IG or it didn't happen.
    Steel Fatbikes only-screenshot_20190709-092116_instagram.jpg
    Steel Fatbikes only-screenshot_20190709-092127_instagram.jpg
    Steel Fatbikes only-screenshot_20190709-092134_instagram.jpg
    Steel Fatbikes only-screenshot_20190709-092146_instagram.jpg
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Steel Fatbikes only

No SS dropouts...boo.

Iíd still consider one though. Is this slated for production or just a concept?

sluice box
    Quote Originally Posted by racefit View Post
    No SS dropouts...boo.

Iíd still consider one though. Is this slated for production or just a concept?

I have not heard anything from Greg at Fatback but just saw this in my IG feed. Having been on multiple fat bikes (Ti, Carbon and Ti and Steel) that Daniel Defiance has made and owning a older Ti Fatback myself I do like his "Alaska Bike Project" bikes that he made with Greg Peck design help.
    Check him out at Defiance Frameworks I'm sure Daniel could get you info on if they are going into production or make one with the SS dropouts.
    ptarmigan hardcore