mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Stars rims 80mm rims

Does anybody know anything about these? They came on my new bike, with tubes, and I want to convert them to tubeless, but the big holes down the center are pretty close to the bead, and I'm not sure if it will work. I don't have any stems or rim tape yet, so I'm not in a hurry. They seem pretty well made and aren't super heavy (for a fat bike wheel). I was able to find the company's website, but of course these rims weren't on there.

Funny thing is the logo looks a lot like the old Sun rims logo, and they have an ATV Rider sticker on them that is the same font as the magazine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Picture would help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Here is the outside. I'll pop the tire off laterStars rims 80mm rims-fat-rim.jpgStars rims 80mm rims-fat-rim2.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    hahaha, wow. I just typed in the site, and I don't even know what to think, but it is anything but bicycle related!
    Deflated - buy parts to sell parts to buy more parts.. bikes are my drug of choice

FATTrailer for the kiddo

mtbr member
    It looks similar to this one in profile. It does not look like these have much of a bead shelf and certainly no hook to hold the bead in place. Tubeless would be very challenging and would likely fail at low pressure.

Sorry, image paste did not work, so go to the link (yes, that weird link reference works):

金华市双星铝圈有限公司

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by fatso View Post
    Does anybody know anything about these? They came on my new bike, with tubes, and I want to convert them to tubeless, but the big holes down the center are pretty close to the bead, and I'm not sure if it will work. I don't have any stems or rim tape yet, so I'm not in a hurry. They seem pretty well made and aren't super heavy (for a fat bike wheel). I was able to find the company's website, but of course these rims weren't on there.

Funny thing is the logo looks a lot like the old Sun rims logo, and they have an ATV Rider sticker on them that is the same font as the magazine.
    You won't have any luck making them tubeless as they don't have the correct profile. You could screw around with a split tube or spending a bunch of time trying to build them up with foam and tape but because they lack tire safety beads you'll likely lose the bead at low pressures. I'd just ride them and save up your money for a set of Mulefuts or something similar.