Stans in a Tube?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Stans in a Tube?

I was looking at building me a saddle bag for my fattie, until I discovered it's gonna cost a ton and weight almost as much.

Is anyone using Stans inside their fattire tubes? Will this work against thorns at least or slow leaks? If so how much you using?

What's everyone using for long distance touring on their fatbike?

A hand-pump takes all day, co2 is so expensive and I guess I'd need at least 20-30g of it.

So what's the recommendation?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Generally doesn't work that well, but why would you want to? Are you afraid of getting flats? If you're putting stans in there, it means you're afraid of puncture flats, which can happen due to either small punctures that could be sealed up with something like slime or larger ones that would tear the sidewall and require a boot (or even sewing the tear back shut) in addition to a new tube.

What kind of hand-pump do you have? I learned long before the days of fat-bikes to have something like a Topeak Mtn Morph, because otherwise you're doing a million little pumps. Those small mini-pumps are all but worthless, but there good pumps out there that work.

You could also convert to tubeless, although it takes a little work and it's not going to stop a sidewall tear.

There are light fatbike tubes, so I'd think optimal would be a tubeless setup + spare tube and boot, especially if you are going to be long-distance touring. Maybe even two tubes.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Stan's is designed to setup tubeless tires, if you don't want to go tubeless use something designed for the task.

Here's the 1/2 dozen threads on pumps for your reading pleasure.
    https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=si...%2F+%22pump%22

Check out Revelate Designs LLC for bags they only cost a ton

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Slime makes a sealant designed for tubes. They also make one for tubeless, so be sure to get the right one.

SLIME – Worldwide Leader in Tire Care – Repairing a flat tire? Slime Tire & Tube Sealant » Catalog » Catalog Products » Tube Sealant Bottles

bigger than you.
    The tubes weigh enough already, why make them heavier?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    The tubes weigh enough already, why make them heavier?
    To seal holes in said tubes. That said, I haven't tried it other than on a rental bike in Sedona once. Must've worked - I didn't get a flat . As for the weight, I wonder how much of the stuff you'd need to use and what it weighs. If lite Q-tubes + sealant weighs less than a Surly Toob, it might be a good tradeoff. Especially if it wards off flats.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I put Stan's (2-3 oz) in 26x2.5-2.75 tubes and had really good luck with it sealing thorn punctures and a couple of small pinch flat cuts. I think it's a good and easy solution for regular XC riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jgorrilla View Post
    I put Stan's (2-3 oz) in 26x2.5-2.75 tubes and had really good luck with it sealing thorn punctures and a couple of small pinch flat cuts. I think it's a good and easy solution for regular XC riding.
    This is what I was looking for, experience using this in tubes. I could really care less about the weight of the tube increasing due to 6 oz of stans, I'm trying to avoid thorn punctures and small leaks and not worry about carrying tube/pump/tire repair kit on short close to home rides.

I orderd me a good pump and a few tubes for longer rides.

never summer
    I've used Stan's in tubes on 3 bikes w/o issue. One being a commuter that has been non-issue. The other two are in our fat bikes, however this is more of a temp solution before I go tubeless. I've had a couple punctures that have sealed with the Stans just fine.
    Fargo Ti + Moonlander + Necro Pug + Nature Boy

Dr Gadget is IN
    Yes, latex based sealant works in inner tubes - but not as well as it does in a tubeless setup. Any sealant that plugs holes needs something to hold that plug. A tire (set up tubeless) is strong enough to let a latex based sealant make a near-permanent seal. Inner tubes are stretchy, and change with pressure. In ye olden days of yore, I had my best sealant performance in thorn-proof tubes. They could last a year or so even here in the thorn laded desert southwest. I had slowly worked up to that, starting with unsealanted thorn proofs and going thru various types of (non latex) sealant and several types of armor strips (mr tuffy, spin skins) with standard tubes with only minimal improvements until throwing in the lightness towel and running thornproofs with sealant. I recall the last one before I went tubeless. A mesquite branch in the sand rammed 3 ea 1 1/2" spikes into my rear tire out in the middle of nowhere and shut me down. It took me 1/2 hour just to remove all the thorns from the tire so I could put in my lightweight spare tube w/o an immediate flat.

In the fat world, there are no thornproofs. Some folks try for lightness by running small tube and stretching the $)@( out of them - which is effective as long as you aren't in punctureland. Thin tubes puncture easily and do not work well with sealant. The thinner the worser.

I am still running tubes in my fatbikes, but I run 21" motorcycle tubes. They are a little more durable than SurlyToobs - and they have schraeder valves. I just got a flat from Saturday's ride - took til Sunday morning for it to go down. I found 6 holes in the tube, and matching thorns embedded in the tire. 4oz of DIY latex based sealant, last checked about 4 months ago I think.

And as a note, CO2 reacts with latex - causing it to coagulate (booger up). Get a good hand pump. It's easier to pump a fatty up than you would think, as the pressure never gets high enough to make you work hard - but it still takes 100+ pumps even with a Mt Morph or Lezyne HV.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

Smash Mode: ON
    I had a slow leak in a tube and just out of curiosity I put some stans in before a ride as apposed to properly patching it. It lasted the car ride to the trail and about 3/4 mile worth of riding before the tube was too flat to ride. All of the stans had come out and was inbetween the tire and the tube making for one heck of a messy trail side repair. Possibly worth noting is that this was an undersized ultralight q tube, not sure if that makes a difference. Just go tubeless and be done with it. Yes, it's a pain, but once you get it sorted punctures are a thing of the past.
    Whatever floats your bike, dude

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by wadester View Post
    I am still running tubes in my fatbikes, but I run 21" motorcycle tubes. They are a little more durable than SurlyToobs - and they have schraeder valves. I just got a flat from Saturday's ride - took til Sunday morning for it to go down. I found 6 holes in the tube, and matching thorns embedded in the tire. 4oz of DIY latex based sealant, last checked about 4 months ago I think.
    Wadester, you are a god among men. I second EVERYTHING and so will anyone else who've ridden in an area where everything wants to kill you. I haven't tried the 21" moto tubes ... but they're now next on my list.

I run surly's butyl (mmm, love the smell of butyl) and pump em with 4+ oz of stans. I also carry extra stans and a modified floor pump because, as stated, once something does pierce through the tube and a patch is needed (yes, you can patch a tube with sealant), you have to let the stans reseal all the little holes again. That's a hella amount of pumping, more than any compact pump I've found can muster. Check my thread for the sawed off pump.

I can't wait for all the "no, no, no, you've done it all wrong" responses to ensue. I GOT YOUR BACK WADESTER.

mtbr member
    Used Stans Juice for last 5+ years in tubes on my Pugsley, yes it does work, and why would you? err thorns?, eps here in the UK with Hawthorn Hedgerows, just pull out the thorn and the tube seals, simples!, i top up tubes every 6 months as eventually the srystals in the sealant get used up.

Worried about fatbike weight? lose a few pounds of yourself , and feel better for it
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

Dr Gadget is IN
    Quote Originally Posted by float nasty View Post
    I haven't tried the 21" moto tubes ... but they're now next on my list
    Be sure to get the 3.00-3.50 size (or larger if you can find 'em) - most are 2.50/2.75/3.00, especially if they're listed as 90/90-21 or any other metric size.

Also, they do make heavy duty tubes for 21's - but they are heavy enough to beat somebody up with.

mtbr member
    The best thing I've pulled off in this regard was only using 1/2 a small bottle of Stans this year with a Q-tube, I lost a bit of air pressure in my rear tire in a race, but managed to take first place in the fat category (only two of us, the other guy DNF'd). I had picked up a thorn but the little bit of Stans worked. Prior, I have had a tube out of the wheel and had it seal up right in front of me.

Last Saturday I wasn't as lucky, took two thorns, and nothing sealed - I need to put more in though. I patched, then used a small Crank Brothers pump and was on my way. FWIW, I flatted a few years ago on the same ride with my Cyclocross bike, using the small CB pump was a major PITA compared to pumping a fat tire. Once your start getting past 30psi pumping gets harder.

Dr Gadget is IN
    Ok, here's some data for using latex sealant in an innertube - on a fatbike.
    (The sealant was WSS original recipe)

Yes, I have been doing this - and with reasonable success. All my rims are old USC 100's that don't have the retainer lip, which is the only reason I haven't gone tubeless long ago.

So, the day after a ride I came back to a flat front tire {sigh}. At next opportunity, I pulled it apart and put a bit of air in the tube. Not one, not two, but SIX holes. Loverly. The toothpicks are just markers.

Found these in the tire:

But later, when I was checking the patches - I found these:

I hadn't yet pumped the tube up to 4.8" size, so I watched these as I did - and the first one started to leak, but the other two stayed tight. I went ahead and patched all three to be sure, but there were a total of NINE holes in that tube - but I finished my ride, with slow leakage finally taking it's toll. YMMV. Cross posted to a few places.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Good info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jgorrilla View Post
    same for me

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    tagged
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    I'm late to this thread but I've used Stans in my tubes since moving back to goathead filled Boise. I've used it on several bicycles (in the last 6 months) and it has yet to fail.

I actually put it in two tubes/wheels that had already gone flat and I simply pulled out the thorns, installed Stans, pumped them up, spun them, and they have held air for months.

I use one 2 ounce bottle for normal sized tires. Fat bike tubes might take more?

The Stans does "wear out" after a few months though. The tube finally goes flat and the liquid that comes out is clear instead of white. There is a warning about it lasting 2-7 months so I don't consider that a failure. It probably saved a lot of headaches during it's usable life.

Oh...When the bike is just sitting around....The Stans filled tubes lose air more slowly than the non Stans filled tubes. That's a pretty neat thing since it means fewer top offs with the floor pump.
    Duct tape makes you smarter.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    So is filling tubes with stan's a good idea or a bad idea for those of us in satans thorns lands?

Dr Gadget is IN
    Quote Originally Posted by aBicycle View Post
    So is filling tubes with stan's a good idea or a bad idea for those of us in satans thorns lands?
    Not a BAD idea, and better than just slime - but not as good as going tubeless.

Also, DIY sealant is better than Stan's if you don't mind being a mixologist:

best-tubeless-brew-thread

And last, running sealant in a thornproof tube works far better than in a standard tube. I used to get a year out of a thornproof with regular sliime in it - but again, tubeless with DIY sealant gives similar service life, and far better performance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The problem with going tubless is that I like to use the tires that I use, like nokians and touring tires, and I worry that they will not hold air if I go tubeless. I'm not looking for a performance benefit, just no flats.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Slime ? Stans isn't the be all to end all

Turns out Slime didn't stop this leak ......not sure if I'll keep using it!!!!!!

Scared the shizer out of me when I was pumping it up and it blew. Great way to unseat the tyre off the rim!!!!
    This tube had 18 punctures in it's life and had carried ~70Kg for 400 odd Km's on dirt and tar, at between 16 and 30 PSI. All puntures were sustained on that trip. I guess it just got tired......

Stans in a Tube?-2013-10-14_12-12-20_776.jpg
    It seemed like a good idea!...... at the time......

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yeah, filling up tires at the shop every once and a while we'd get complacent...then BOOM!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.