mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Stampede or TykesBykes 20" Fat Byke

I just picked one of these up for my son for $250, shipped, on Tikesbikes.com. Will report on weight, build, ridability, etc as soon as i get it unboxed and put together.

There had been some discussion of these in threads related to other 20" fatbikes so I thought I'd start a new one here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Couple pictures once I got it out of the box:

Stampede or TykesBykes 20" Fat Byke-img_1276%5B1%5D.jpg

Stampede or TykesBykes 20" Fat Byke-img_1277%5B1%5D.jpg

Stampede or TykesBykes 20" Fat Byke-img_1278%5B1%5D.jpg

Stampede or TykesBykes 20" Fat Byke-img_1279%5B1%5D.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I am getting 33.08 pounds on my hanging scale for this in stock configuration. The tires are super chunky and very stiff, tubes are somewhat heavy but not as heavy as I expected.

I am going to try replacing the tubes with standard 20" tubes and see how it goes, also will be swapping in different bars and stem to get them a little closer to the seat as I'll be pushing this on the size for my son when he gets it in a couple of weeks. I'm also going to be swapping in the 34T "megarange" freewheel that most people use on the Mongoose Kong.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cedar_lake View Post
    I am getting 33.08 pounds on my hanging scale for this in stock configuration. The tires are super chunky and very stiff, tubes are somewhat heavy but not as heavy as I expected.

I am going to try replacing the tubes with standard 20" tubes and see how it goes, also will be swapping in different bars and stem to get them a little closer to the seat as I'll be pushing this on the size for my son when he gets it in a couple of weeks. I'm also going to be swapping in the 34T "megarange" freewheel that most people use on the Mongoose Kong.
    Yikes. 33 pounds? My stock Motobecane NIght Train (medium, rigid) was ~34.5lbs out of the box.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Well, you figure all the components weigh the same regardless of size (tires and rims and spokes are a little different) and the frame is smaller but all of the welds and junctions still have to be there. It isn't too surprising it would be heavy.

For comparison, other 20" fatbikes have been discussed at the followign weights, stock, on the forums here or elsewhere:

Mongoose Compac: 40 lbs
    Mongoose Kong: 36 lbs
    Mongoose Massif 40.2 lbs
    Charge Cooker 20: 37lbs
    Specialized Fatboy 20: 28 lbs

So anyway, it's a heavy bike, but pretty competitive with what's out there at the moment.
    Last edited by cedar_lake; 09-20-2016 at 07:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I put in some work on this last night. Initial weigh-in this time around was 33.16 pounds: Stampede or TykesBykes 20" Fat Byke-img_1311.jpg

I took the tires off and replaced the tubes with 20X2.0-2.4 tubes. No problems so far with that. I also put on the megarange freewheel.
    Stampede or TykesBykes 20" Fat Byke-img_1317.jpg
    I weighed one of the tires while I had it off. pretty sure they are the same as the knobbies showing up on the Mongoose and others. 1735 grams for one tire. Specialized ground control 20's have been weighed at 1080- so a tire upgrade would be a huge weight savings!
    So, in the end, two new tubes, a slightly heavier freewheel, and we are sitting at 32.17- so basically a pound off the rolling weight for 10 bucks. Stampede or TykesBykes 20" Fat Byke-img_1326.jpg
    I also put this cool green origin8 stem on and rotated the bars a bit more for fun. I have a bar with much more sweep coming today which should help me shorten the reach from the saddle to something my son is already used to. Stampede or TykesBykes 20" Fat Byke-img_1327.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have been looking for a fat bike for my tall 6 yr old. I was looking at Reid's Monster 20 but i can seem to find that thing anywhere in the US. This might be a good option. Thoughts on the bike and components now that you have it in your possession?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    We'll see. I was sold on the Cooker Mini at 279+ shipping on Performance when this came up for 250 including shipping on TikesBikes.

This bike is somewhere in between a Walmart bike and an Industry bike- so the frame is decent, headset is 1 1/8 (not quill like the cooker), lock-on grips, other goodies like that.

Tires, crank, and hub are low-end stuff, probably the same as mongoose. Brakes are exactly the same model as on a number of mongoose kids fatbikes, but they seem fine.

Looking at the Reid, they appear to be very similar bikes and spec. Reid lists their bike at 32lbs, so weight is close. The one thing I cannot determine is if the Reid comes with better tires- can't find any information on the chaoyang tires i see in the pictures.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    i was looking at reid also but i can't find a place to buy them in the US.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    So if its speced the same as the Mongoose. Why spend the extra 50 to 70 bucks over the Kong? Its with in a couple pounds of that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Stampede or TykesBykes 20" Fat Byke-img_1352.jpg

I added the origin8 "classic" bars on last night- this puts the grips a little (probably 2-3") closer to the saddle and I've pretty much replicted the saddle height and reach of my son's current little BMX bike (geometry is an entirely other matter). His birthday is coming up on the 27th so there will be pictures of him on it shortly!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    People with the Mongoose Kong have gone to pretty serious measures to get it down to the stock weight of the Tykesbykes/Stampede model. "A couple pounds" is quite a lot. IMHO the only way you're going to pull three pounds off the Kong is to go for light tubes and a hundred bucks worth of tires. I'm confident I can get this bike under 30 with either ground Controls or Vee Missions.

I preferred a non-quill stem as well, for aesthetics, strength, and ability to swap from my parts bin. I also prefer a trigger shifter over grip, especially for my son's small hands and strength.

I don't think it's terribly consequential for the weight, but for what it's worth the tykesbykes model is a 6061 AL frame with a steel fork and the Mongoose is steel (hi-ten?)

Also, Stampede appears to be a smaller, USA company that I'd prefer to support over Wally World. Would I have paid anywhere near the $490 MSRP for this? No, probably not. For another 50 bucks over a Kong, sure.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I just ended up with a Specialized Fatboy 20. lol

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Fatboy is definitely the off-the shelf winner on weight. (I assume it gets you much better spec, freehub instead of freewheel etc.) What are Fatboys going for at retail these days?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Fatboy is definitely the off-the shelf winner on weight. (I assume it gets you much better spec, freehub instead of freewheel etc.) What are Fatboys going for at retail these days?
    I paid 550

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    For 250 bucks I'm just going to tell my boy to HTFU over the extra weight!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I hear yeah. Not sure where you are, but I'm in Wisconsin and I bought his specifically to attempt to winter/snow ride so i wanted to give him any advantage I could so he can attempt to make WI winters fun. lol

Stampede or TykesBykes 20" Fat Byke-14317514_10153766905146971_6891545792955305403_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I'm in Vermont.

While we may end up playing on some packed snow once in awhile, I was also looking for a bike for him that would be fun, would have a high "cool factor," would have a low center of gravity (as opposed to the bmx-style stuff he's been riding on since he was three), would have "real" braked and gears, would NOT have a lame useless suspension fork, etc. Small-size fat made some sense on all of those accounts. I think for anything other than packed snow, I'm going to have to swap out the crank with the swaged-on chainring for a real one with a smaller ring.

I may even build him a zippy set of 24" wheels with light tires for gravel grinding and around town use next summer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    The boy got the bike this morning, but we haven't had a chance to ride yet! He's just about 4' tall with a normal inseam and is able to stand over the top tube with both feet pretty much on the ground. With the saddle as low as it goes he's on his tiptoes on the ground. The Origin8 bars bring the grips to his hands without laying him out over the top tube too much.

If he gets comfortable with it, there's room to raise the saddle- and honestly I'm more concerned about fit at the top of his pedal stroke than anything. I'm also springing for a replacement crank from trailcraft so he can get a 22 and a true granny gear with a 152mm crank. 90 bucks but such a nice piece of kit!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The boy got the bike this morning, but we haven't had a chance to ride yet! He's just about 4' tall with a normal inseam and is able to stand over the top tube with both feet pretty much on the ground. With the saddle as low as it goes he's on his tiptoes on the ground. The Origin8 bars bring the grips to his hands without laying him out over the top tube too much.

If he gets comfortable with it, there's room to raise the saddle- and honestly I'm more concerned about fit at the top of his pedal stroke than anything. I'm also springing for a replacement crank from trailcraft so he can get a 22 and a true granny gear with a 152mm crank. 90 bucks but such a nice piece of kit!
    That was my concern, was weight and gearing. Seems like you have accomplished these things. Awesome

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Put some tall BMX bars and a long seatpost on it and you would have a rugged go anywhere minivelo.
    Totem KDS-D fatbike, Brompton M2L-X Ti, 6kg Dahon Dove, 1998 GT Forte Ti road bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by michschi View Post
    I paid 550
    According to the website the Fatboy 20 is $770. So you got a pretty nice discount. Maybe an end of year sale?

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...atboy20/106643

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Don't think I haven't thought of it! I always tell my wife these bikes will be moved on when the boy grows out of them but it's just as likely I'll screw a fixed cog onto that hub and get weird with some dirt drops.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Quick little video of a backyard lap. My son is just about four feet tall and about 50 lbs, this was shot on his sixth birthday!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Got the trailcraft crank on- much better with that 22 ring up front. Chainline is such that you can't use much of the cassette with it up on the 30 ring. I'll measure the BB spindle at some point and see if there is a square taper option with a shorter spindle that might help. Probably have about 11mm crank to frame clearance as it sits right now.

I don't have a front derailer for this and probably wouldn't bother, but part of me would love to make it manually switchable between the 30 and the 22, for a "get to the trail" gearing. If that doesn't work out, I'll take the 30 ring off and maybe move the bash guard in or dump it for weight savings. The trailcraft crank is a nice piece of kit and identical in length (152mm) to the cranks that come on the bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    At 30 pounds given your sons 50 pound weight, that would work out to a 90 pound bike if you weighed 150 pounds and a 120 pounder if you weighed 200 pounds. For me that would be to much HTFU to have much fun on anything but a flat hard surface. I get the cool factor but I think most little kids are better served by lighter skinnier tired bikes if we want them to ride very far on real trails.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    There's always one wet blanket who says this in each of the kids fatbike threads I have read.

The comment you reference was comparing this to a 28lb Specialized, not a 16 pound Woom or Islabikes. And who wants to make a little kid ride "very far on real trails," (whatever 'real" means)? When we want to go "very far," we ride our Bike Friday Family Tandem.

This bike has been perfect for the kind of riding a just-barely-six year-old is capable of handling, both physically and emotionally.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Sorry to be a wet blanket. It sounds like you have it covered for your kid. Where I am coming from is as a coach for a kids mountian bike program where we do take kids off of the smooth bike trails I am seeing more and more fat bikes for fairly small kids. Some of the do OK some don't. To be fair the seriously heavy bike to kid weight ratio is not limited to fat bikes.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I think the weight comparison is a fair point and people should be aware of what they are getting into for sure! In fact, there's some other things people should consider, like, if your kid is barely ready for 20" wheels, putting them on a 20" fatty is going to be more like putting them on 24's, these things are sold almost categorically overgeared, geometry is LOOOOONG, etc.

I do hope more lighter bikes become available soon, and more kids MTBs with non-crappy suspension forks or lightweight rigid forks. I was a little torn betwen something like this and a Woom, and decided the risk was acceptable for what we'd be doing with it. pretty sure if i send the boy to MTB camp next summer we'll rent him something lighter!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    My son rips it for a 6 year old on his Fatboy 20 which comes in about 27 lbs. Hes just under 60 lbs. Kids can move those things along better than you'd think.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Don't know if this bike is still available but here's an update: