spreading the word, road pressure, and larry love- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

spreading the word, road pressure, and larry love

my first ride with a larry up front tonight, miles better than the endo,, really glad I swapped over, much much better steering and traction

on sunday Im doing "the great nottinghamshire bike ride" 60 miles, and thought I'd do it on the pugs, bet its the only fat bike there amoungst 1000's

what psi do you reckon I could use for better rolling on the road and sixty miles - I was thinking around 20 psi ?!
    I could use my hookworms - but think it will be much better doing it full fat !

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Me being a little on the larger side, I rode 20 miles yesterday @ 20 PSI on Larry's and although they rolled well, they seemed like they could have needed less air. They were also very loud as the knobs made contact and could feel vibrations transfer up into the drivetrain. And at 20 PSI, only the center row of knobs seem to contact the road when going straight. I would think an Endo would do much better on the road given its much flatter profile, I could be wrong tho.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    maybe 18 in the front larry and 20 in the endo rear would work well then

i think after 60 miles of people asking me "what's that bike", and "those are big tyres" i might wish I did it on my road bike !

Self-defeatist
    It's a trade-off with Endos between fast rolling and weird self-steer from all the contact between the tire and the road. Larry's are a bit better as the knobs reduce the amount of contact. That said I'd ride the Endos pumped up to 15 or 20 psi on a long road ride.
    I'm covered in beer.

How much does it weigh?
    My 100km ride was about 77km on road... I say the Larry rides great on the road.

It would be awesome if the Larry had one continuous center tread... instead of the lugs in the center, could roll so much easier and quieter.

You hear me Surly, Larry with a continuous center tread!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgschulze View Post
    It would be awesome if the Larry had one continuous centre tread...
    I was thinking of making a centre rib with some ShoeGoo
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

How much does it weigh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    I was thinking of making a centre rib with some ShoeGoo
    Let us know how it goes. I'm very curious.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    well ive pumped them up till they feel right - checked them with digi gauge and ive got 22 psi in larry and 27psi in the endo

so will see how that goes

Tigard, Oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by cozz View Post
    my first ride with a larry up front tonight, miles better than the endo,, really glad I swapped over, much much better steering and traction

on sunday Im doing "the great nottinghamshire bike ride" 60 miles, and thought I'd do it on the pugs, bet its the only fat bike there amoungst 1000's

what psi do you reckon I could use for better rolling on the road and sixty miles - I was thinking around 20 psi ?!
    I could use my hookworms - but think it will be much better doing it full fat !
    Do you know the height difference between the Larry and the Hookworm? Thanks!
    2011 Salsa Mukluk / 2006 KTM 400 EXC

PUG U!!!
    This is my 2nd summer riding my Pugs. Last summer with two Endo's, this summer a Larry up front and an Endo in back.
    Last fall I did an 80 miler on a paved trail in northern Mn. I had 15 psi in front and 17-20 in the rear.
    So far this summer I've only hit the paved trail once for a 40 miler. With the Larry I find I can go somewhat lower than the Endo up front from last year. I had 11-14 psi and then settled on 12. No issues with funky steering, just a smooth ride. I've also settled on 15 psi for the rear Endo.
    I'm about 235 #'s so it is what it is.

Peace

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    well im back, done 60 miles - was great fun, 100's of bikes, loads of comments and questions from riders, many had never seen a fat bike before and quite a few were pulling along side to ask about it

avergaed 13.5 mph, which im pleased with, as it was a slow start trying to get around other riders, i wasnt racing but i do like to put some effort in !

the best moment was on a downhill, drawing alongside a 3000 bianchi - saying hi to the rider and then overtaking him - look on his face was priceless

had a few small groups of road riders come past, dropped in with one group and kept with them for 5 miles

best quote was a guy who walked up and said "you must have muslces in your sh it to ride that "!

the 22psi front and 27 psi rear worked very well

next year im going to do the 75 mile route - that'll really wind up the roadies !!

mtbr member
    a little story.

i had 29er wheels built up for pugs. when switched over to a Fatback i couldnt use the rear so i cut it up. I still had the front for the mav fork. The front was so bad with the endo i would ride with the endo in the rear and the 29er wheel up front. Then i got the Larry and i tried it on the road and it was so good i stopped swapping the front wheel out. Now i run full fat all the time. When i ride on the road pulling the kids they are only good for 45min so why bother with skinny tires.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

http://undergroundvelo.proboards.com/

bikeboatbrewski
    Dudes, hookworms!

Save your fats for the soft stuff.

mtbr member
    Cairns Challenge Ironman. 180km on road. 6:55 on the bike leg. 30psi in the tyres (I turn my back when pumping in case they explode). 1000 'those tyres are fat' comments.

He, he.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spreading the word, road pressure, and larry love-imageuploadedbytapatalk1308627313.012581.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How does everyone "center" the Larry on the rim so there's no hop?...having a beotch of time. I don't notice it so much on dirt, but it's horrible on the road.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Olefin View Post
    Cairns Challenge Ironman....
    You don't know Roderick Fletcher by any chance?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    You don't know Roderick Fletcher by any chance?
    No, did he ride in Cairns? Is he a fellow Faty?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Olefin View Post
    No, did he ride in Cairns? Is he a fellow Faty?
    Cairns boy, but he's in Ingham now. Competes in stuff like ITU World Champs.

That event looked like something that would attract him.

I'll try to convert him to fat next time I'm in Oz - he still hasn't seen the light about single speed and rigid, so probably not much hope - likes to tech up.

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cozz View Post
    the best moment was on a downhill, drawing alongside a 3000 bianchi - saying hi to the rider and then overtaking him - look on his face was priceless!
    Thank you. The next time I try to encourage some roadie at my shop to change from 23's to 25's, and have them look at me like I was suggesting they slam their John Thomas in a car door, I'll just smile, and remember this situation.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cytoe View Post
    How does everyone "center" the Larry on the rim so there's no hop?...having a beotch of time. I don't notice it so much on dirt, but it's horrible on the road.
    Don't have that problem.

Which version is it? 120 or27 tpi?

A Surly Maverick
    Might be the tube if it`s not stretching around the valve you can end up with a`void` that can cause hop .
    Life IS a Beach and then you Corrode :)

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by cytoe View Post
    I have 27tpi Larry and Endo, both of them don't mount up so nice. I even soaped the beads and pumped them up to 30psi, no improvement. The bead is perfect, it looks to me as if the tires have hops.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Soap and water mixture on the rim, bigger tubes( I gave up on my Maxxis superlights due to the hop), and pump them up to seat did the trick for me. There is still a tiny hop that I think is from valve stem issue like D. F. mentioned. This is only a problem above 35 mph on pavement, so it's not a problem! You can't see it when riding, unlike the last setup I was using. I am using Q Tubes 2.75 tubes on V!Z trials rims.