Spoke Tension Issues with SunRingle Mulefut in Pugsley Offset Frame- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Spoke Tension Issues with SunRingle Mulefut in Pugsley Offset Frame

Hi guys,
    I recently picked up a set of mulefuts to upgrade my pugsley. Without doing too much research, I pulled the trigger seeing as how the mulefuts have offset drilling and should accommodate for the 17.5mm offset required of pugsley frames. Now looking at the spoke calculator on freespoke, I'm wondering if I made a mistake.

It seems like the mulefut's 19.0mm spoke bed offset produces weak tension balance when lacing the spokes all to the drive side of the rim. I get a tension balance of about 55%/100%--Is this what other people are getting too?

In contrast, when using a 12.5mm spoke bed offset rim (e.g., marge lite, rollling darryl), you get results around 88%/100% balance.

Maybe my math/data entry is incorrect? I haven't picked a rear hub yet, but it'll likely be a deore or xt hub. Here's a screen shot of my results below. I would love to hear from an experienced builder (mikesee??)or anyone who has laced up this rim for a 17.5mm offset frame like a cooker maxi or pugsley(ops).

Spoke Tension Issues with SunRingle Mulefut in Pugsley Offset Frame-screen-shot-2015-03-12-4.26.jpg

turtles make me hot
    I've built two sets of these for Mukluks, so not offset. I'm just chiming in to see what others say.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yes, you are correct. Now, if you choose a SS hub, you'll notice that it adds up to nearly perfect identical spoke tension. For a normal cassette hub, a smaller spoke bed offset (12.5mm) works better with the Pugsley frame offset. The mulefuts have nearly the same offset as clownshoes, which were designed for the 28mm offset frame Moonlander. It's all geometry.

If you want a SS Pugsley, the Mulefuts are the best rim choice. If not, a 12.5mm spoke bed offset is the way to go. Do the math before you buy! I'd try and get an exchange/return on the rims if you can.

mtbr member
    How would this rim work with a Lefty up front? Not good because of the further offset?

mtbr member
    I built a Mulefut wheel for my Pugsley with a White Industries CLD rear hub that yielded similar tension distribution numbers. I purposely left the dish not quite centered to gain a little better tension spread. I put a couple hundred miles on it and while it stayed true, I could definitely feel it moving around when ridden hard.

Pistol
    Jun 2007
    Do you think those rims could be re-drilled for better spoke tension? I'd like to build a set, in B+, for my Pugs...

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Just wanted to post a quick followup. I did end up building my wheel set with great success. It took a lot of playing around on freespoke but I was able to determine that the flange offset with an American Classic 225 rear hub (or the American Classic designed WTB laser lite disc hub) allowed the spoke tension to be much more reasonable (in the mid to high 60's % IIRC) Only downside being that the AC 225 rear hub has pretty crappy engagement which may be discernible depending on your type of riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    good necro