Spoke Lengths- Mtbr.com

Thread: Spoke Lengths

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Spoke Lengths

Hi All,

Just looking for a little help...

I've been building my own wheels for years, got pretty good at it during my trials days, but am struggling a little with Fat wheels, and I haven't even started yet...

Surly HQ sent me a big ol' thing about adjustments you need to make to centre-flange measurements and it's messing with me a bit...

I have Mukluk rear hub, and a Surly bolt up SS rear and my front, and I want to build to Rolling Daryl...

Can someone tell me what spoke lengths I need...???

Thanks in advance,

Adam

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    What do you normaly use for calculating? The only difference is because the rims are drilled away from centerline you need to adjust your flange dimensions.

Acording to Surly the Rolling Daryl requires you subtract 12.5 mm from each center to flange measurement.

I beleive the Salsa hub I used was 44mm left center to flange, so minus 12.5 gives you 31.5 left center to flange for your calculations. Do the same for the right and proceed as you normally would.

Quote Originally Posted by Macbeth View Post
    Hi All,

Surly HQ sent me a big ol' thing about adjustments you need to make to centre-flange measurements and it's messing with me a bit...
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76 Flickr

mtbr member
    I built my mukluk rear to rolling darryl with 262mm spokes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Macbeth View Post
    Hi All,

Just looking for a little help...

I've been building my own wheels for years, got pretty good at it during my trials days, but am struggling a little with Fat wheels, and I haven't even started yet...

I have Mukluk rear hub, and a Surly bolt up SS rear and my front, and I want to build to Rolling Daryl...

Can someone tell me what spoke lengths I need...???

Thanks in advance,

Adam
    I just built a front symmetrical 135 wheels with a Surly SS hub and Rolling Darryls. Tried 262mm but they were too long. Ended up going with 260mm and they were perfect.

Not sure on your rear wheel.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by gbs View Post
    I built my mukluk rear to rolling darryl with 262mm spokes.
    Thats what worked for me as well. Check out freespoke calculator, it has a bunch of fat rims listed as well as the hubs at it has been spot on for the ones I built. I haven't had goods luck with QBP's calculator when it comes to fat wheels.

Members who have read this thread: 0