Split tube or tape?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Split tube or tape?

I've decided to go tubeless, as my trails are loaded with thorns. After spending quite a bit of time in the archives looking at old posts, I'm a little confused on the best way to proceed. I tend to switch tires quite often and only have one set of wheels (RD's). Using tape (gorilla tape, packing tape, or whatever) would seem to be less fuss than the split tube for my situation or am I wrong? I am out of the loop as far as riding with people doing the tubeless thing, no one here to share experience. Reading old posts, it seems the tape method might be more finicky to get right. I suppose this is like asking which is better, Coke or Pepsi. Personally, I'm a Dew guy! Thanks for any insight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Split tube. It's easy and proven, and unlike gorilla tape, it's really easy to remove.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

mtbr member

Split tube or tape?

I've been split tube on my MLr for three years with no problem. If you don't trim the tube too close to the rim you could probably reuse the tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

turtles make me hot
    Split tube with a 24" Q Tube works perfectly.
    I like turtles

All fat, all the time.
    The tape started leaking for me (bad roll maybe I dunno), but split tube has been working well.

mtbr member

Split tube or tape?

I don't fully understand the split tube and how it saves weight? I am using gorilla tape and it is working just fine on my rd's with nates.

mtbr member

Re: Split tube or tape?

Split tube saves weight because you replace a heavy fat tube with a light, undersized tube.

mtbr member

Split tube or tape?

So you put the tire bead over the edge of the split tube? Is this an easier way to if you want to swap tires often? I have wanted to switch my nates for some old endo's for beach only rides a few times but didn't want to start back over.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tundratrader View Post
    I don't fully understand the split tube and how it saves weight? I am using gorilla tape and it is working just fine on my rd's with nates.
    Im with you...what does a 24inch tube weigh, plus stans, and a valve stem....or get a q light 26 inch 2.7 tube that weighs 240g.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'm not really worried about the weight of any of it. I just thought the split tube might be a little more finicky when using multiple tires on a single rim. Once again, this is purely an uneducated guess- no hands on experience with either set up.

mtbr member

Split tube or tape?

Well I used gorilla and Stan's. I will do homebrew next batch but live in a little town that didn't have the latex. My dad made some up and it was weeping green which they said in the homebrew thread was normal but seamed weird to me.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    FWIW, tubeless is worth doing even if you don't save any weight. I had purposefully been avoiding it because I was told that I'd be addicted to it from there on. I tried it this summer and thought it was nice. Rolls a bit better, hugs a bit better, increased flat protection etc. Weight reduction is one gain out of a list of gains.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

All fat, all the time.
    Or say f' it and ditch them both..... nextie with just a wrap of Stans-like tape to seal spoke holes.... First shake down ride on front wheel today was nice

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Mushy View Post
    I'm not really worried about the weight of any of it. I just thought the split tube might be a little more finicky when using multiple tires on a single rim. Once again, this is purely an uneducated guess- no hands on experience with either set up.
    I re-use split tube all the time. Not an issue, even with the tube trimmed down to just a few mm above the rim line. My rims (On-One Fatty) absolutely suck balls when tried with just tape.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

since 4/10/2009

Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Or say f' it and ditch them both..... nextie with just a wrap of Stans-like tape to seal spoke holes.... First shake down ride on front wheel today was nice
    I have been wondering how well this would work. I got my nexties drilled with no offset so as long as the adhesive held well enough, i was wondering if one wrap would work.

mtbr member
    One wrap of (Gorilla) tape has worked perfectly in my HED Big Deal.

mtbr member
    split. Used 24x 2.1 to 2.4
    The extra over the edge of the rim, 1/2" or less on 85mm rims will let you easily re-install tires.

mtbr member
    Asked myself this question today and decided to try the tape only method first with Stans sealant. If I have any issues I can tear it all down and add an undersized split tube for a few dollars, and the tape can stay as added sealer/protection; right? Seems foolproof

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I have been wondering how well this would work. I got my nexties drilled with no offset so as long as the adhesive held well enough, i was wondering if one wrap would work.
    Seemed to work well, there was minor leaks around the bead for the first mile or so, then sealed perfectly.
    I rode some nasty stuff today, was flawless.

since 4/10/2009

Seemed to work well, there was minor leaks around the bead for the first mile or so, then sealed perfectly.
    I rode some nasty stuff today, was flawless.
    Sounds promising! I think I will use this method to start with.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Split tube on two fatties for two years now riding year' round. Go Ghetto!

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    Split tube. It's easy and proven, and unlike gorilla tape, it's really easy to remove.
    I haven't found Gorilla tape very difficult to remove. Cut across the tape and pull it from the rim.

Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Split tube with a 24" Q Tube works perfectly.
    I've set up numerous wheels with tape and I think it works perfectly as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    FWIW, tubeless is worth doing even if you don't save any weight. I had purposefully been avoiding it because I was told that I'd be addicted to it from there on. I tried it this summer and thought it was nice. Rolls a bit better, hugs a bit better, increased flat protection etc. Weight reduction is one gain out of a list of gains.
    Drew is right on.

Once you go with the tubeless ready rims, you'll never have to think about tape and tubes again. Save your lunch money and buy a set, you won't regret it.

NeedGod.com
    If you're going to be changing tires a lot, I would gravitate toward the tape method. Gorilla tape has been working well for me except at really low pressure. When winter hits and I need to run low pressure, I'm planning on either split tube or tube with Stan's.

That said, it sounds like lots of folks use split tube with great success. My only concern is that it might be a little tougher method if you are wanting to change tires a lot.
    Nathan

Downcountry AF
    did my first split tube fat tire today. worked like a charm. after putting reflective tape in the pattern i wanted i used a strip of foam to fill up the center of the rim a little. i think that helped the tire to seal almost instantly when i inflated with air. will be able to re-use split tube for next time. i like this method. works great!
    only the Blue tape is reflective, find out later tonight how it looks when lit up at night.
    Attachment 923464Attachment 923465Attachment 923466Attachment 923467Attachment 923468

dvn
    mtbr member
    Looks like a lot of work. Orange Seal tape and sealant. Done.
    "Either way it doesn't really matter, I just got back from a bike ride."
    > dbhammercycle

sluice box
    Velocity Dually 26" innercity tubeless with HuDu's. 24" q-tube cut open, little Stans, shot of air, trim flap, ride.

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    I haven't found Gorilla tape very difficult to remove. Cut across the tape and pull it from the rim.

I've set up numerous wheels with tape and I think it works perfectly as well.

Drew is right on.

Once you go with the tubeless ready rims, you'll never have to think about tape and tubes again. Save your lunch money and buy a set, you won't regret it.

Tubeless ready carbon fat rims? Sounds pricey I'll ride my nextie's & spend the extra $$ on beer....lots of beer!

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Two loops of one inch wide foam insulation tape along each sidewall. Six loops of Glad Pack or other type of plastic wrap. Install valve. Install tire and goop. Easily inflate with the skinniest of mini pumps. Cut off excess Glad Pack. Shake and ride.
    Glad Pack is near weightless.

mtbr member
    I used gorilla tape on my clown shoes with a bud and nate. It's been flawless.
    DaveH
    '15 Salsa Horsethief
    '13 9:ZERO:7
    '13 Trek Domane
    '16 Salsa Fargo

mtbr member
    OP, I didn't look at your other posts but you don't mention what bike, wheel, or tire you have? Not all wheel and tire combinations are winners when it comes to tubeless. Some experimentation is necessary. But, I'll go ahead and cast my vote for split tube. When it comes to fat bikes I'll up the ante with the foam inserts.

I actually just updated my write up of my experiment with filter floss (vs foam) on my Boris.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/fil...be-907209.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Alright, I tried gorilla tape on my new Mulefut rims. The tires seated better/faster/easier than my "proper" tubeless non-fat rims. After the beads popped into place (less than 3 seconds with air compressor), I was done. No rubber trimming necessary. I recommend the tube with "tricky" rims, but there is absolutely no need with the Sun Mulefut. It's a great rim!
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com