Speed on a Fat tire bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Speed on a Fat tire bike

I know this is not ideal riding conditions for a Fat bike nor would it be the bikes my primary purpose if I get it. *I am planning a trip this spring to ride the rail trail / c&o towpath (325 *miles) from Pittsburgh to Washington DC. *I test rode a Mutluk a few weeks ago and now I have Fat Bike fever. *What kind of speed is reasonable to expect riding a fat tire bike on flat dirt roads or rail trials? I know this is not the perfect bike (i have a Crosscheck already which probably is ideal) for the trip but, I really want one. Someday I will have one (the fever is to great) but if I can justify it for this trip I will get it sooner than later.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'm 15-20% slower on my Pugs, whether geared or SS, compared to my 29er on the same off-road terrain. On our local RTT's, speeds are much closer, maybe only 10% slower. I would love to try the Floyd's (or the Hookworm's) to see what the difference is in rolling resistance. It seems like there are a few threads on urban fat bikes- do a search.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Sounds like a great adventure. Go for it

I'd get Floyds for the trip. Maybe around 20psi. You should easily average 13mph without trying, and probably more. Bring plenty of tools and a spare tube ( and h2o) Don't forget the patching kit just in case.
    Last edited by suba; 11-30-2011 at 07:57 AM. Reason: correction

Mechainc
    I have been riding my mukluk all summer from trail to railroad beds. The railroad bed I ride has the tracks pulled with baseball size pebbles and do a 12-14 mile ride in 2 hours, perfect for training. It rides a little slower but you are all smiles the whole time! I do have a friend who won his class at the Lowell 50 on a mukluk and handed it to the others on skinny tire bikes, ( Barry the Beard )!

All fat, all the time.
    They are not significantly slower from my experiences this year. Go for it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    thanks for the quick responses. This is exactly what I needed to hear!! Can't wait.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ewoakman View Post
    I know this is not ideal riding conditions for a Fat bike nor would it be the bikes my primary purpose if I get it. *I am planning a trip this spring to ride the rail trail / c&o towpath (325 *miles) from Pittsburgh to Washington DC. *I test rode a Mutluk a few weeks ago and now I have Fat Bike fever. *What kind of speed is reasonable to expect riding a fat tire bike on flat dirt roads or rail trials? I know this is not the perfect bike (i have a Crosscheck already which probably is ideal) for the trip but, I really want one. Someday I will have one (the fever is to great) but if I can justify it for this trip I will get it sooner than later.
    I don't ride with a bike computer, but when I did the CDN GDR fully loaded [4 panniers] we chatted with all the other folks on the route who were riding hardtails MTBs and FS rigs, etc... Our daily mileage was the same as other folks carry similar gear. We aren't particularly fit guys or very strong - just average folk.

We did have one epic 140km day uphill over a pass which was a special effort, but it really dispelled any thought for me that the Pugs was holding me back at all.

My unscientific analysis is that the suspension effect of the big tires lets you move very efficiently over a dirt road or trail like a 1" suspension bike and the rigid frame climbs well.

We also covered ~75kms of paved road including a 70kph+ bomb downhill. The Pugs worked great. It wouldn't be my choice for a long paved tour, but a day or two of pavement wouldn't bother me on a Pugs tour.

The Pugs is my go to bike for any dirt touring.

Check out what Joe Cruz says about touring South America on a Pugs:

Pedaling in Place | Bicycles
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    I'm 15-20% slower on my Pugs, whether geared or SS, compared to my 29er on the same off-road terrain.
    I could see a 29er being the hot ticket for dirt touring. Sadly I don't have one to test against...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Just do it, it's a little slower for me, but much more fun....

100+ wheel-build club
    (Deuxdiesel is right), get some Black Floyds or Maxxis Hookworms, they will be much faster and smoother for touring. I have Hookworm 2.5's on my Big Dummy and they are an amazing fat tire-fast, smooth, supple. Also, consider pulling a trailer. I rode Canada to Mexico along the infamous 101 West coast. Packing everyday is a beach! Put the lighter stuff in panniers, heavier/bulkier in the trailer. Its fairly common to break racks on extended tours. Good luck to you!!! PS-can I go?
    "Go that way REAL FAST, if something gets in your way... turn".

mtbr member
    I have done the same rail/trail route on a yearly over night trip on my La Cruz cyclocross bike and my Pugs. I have also ridden much of this route on my El Mariachi 29r. My favorite bike for the trip is the Pugs by a long shot. I had more fun, suffered less and felt no slower. Did I mention I had more fun. The relative flat, somewhat soft and a little bit bumpy surface is perfect for the pugs. I like to pump the tires up pretty firm for road/ rail trail rides.

is buachail foighneach me
    I think a fatbike would work well for RTT touring. There are occasional sections of sand, balast, gravel, mud and cobblestones. They're minor inconveniences on 2.1" tires, but you probably wouldn't even notice them on a fatbike, and would have a more comfortable ride the rest of the time. It'll increase the ease of exploring off trail as well.

Geordie biker
    Quote Originally Posted by wyatt79m View Post
    Just do it, it's a little slower for me, but much more fun....
    i am about 3-4 miles an hour slower on average to my cannondale badboy hybrid, but yeah its so much more fun on the fatbike.

2014 milage so far - 2,485
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Overall, I think I'm faster on my ss fatbike than on my regular, 26" ss. I'm probably slower towards the start, but after a couple of hours, the comfort of the big tyres really does make a difference. My back loves it. Also, you can really let it rip on downhill sections. Fatbikes = fun and peace of mind

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by suba View Post
    I'd get Floyds for the trip. Maybe around 20psi.
    Unless you want a set of $200 tires for some other purpose I wouldn't spend the $$ just for a 5 day tour. The stock tires on your fatbike will do fine and they wear very slowly so you won't be burning up any rubber on this trip.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Get and use the fat bike. My original plan was to buy my fat bike to complete the GAP Trail. It makes a perfect bikepacking bike.

I live very close to this trail system and can provide 1st hand experience. I have ridden on it using a 10 speed road bike, a full suspension 2.5 tire MTB, a fat bike with smooth Hookworms and a fat bike with tread on the tires. Ride the fat bike. Save your money and use the current tires it comes with. If you are in the shape you need to be to finish the 325+ mile distance, the rollling resistance of tread vs no tread won't matter. Saving your butt from hurting should be a primary concern...lol.

I have ridden the entire C&O Canal Path from DC to Cumberland, MD and all points between on many trips over the years. I have also ridden sections of the GAP Trail between Cumberland and Ohiopyle area.

Here is my ride detail on the C&O Canal Path last week. I was riding my Fatback with 25lbs of weight and tires with tread...similar to what you might be carrying while on your trip. The average speeds are included.

Cyclemeter-Cycle-20111125-0909.kml - Google Maps

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I've ridden my Pugsley on the C&O towpath many times - and it may not be faster than my regular mountain bike but it "feels" faster and its way more fun. Also, there are some loose, sandy sections on the towpath that fat bikes handle perfectly. I'd definitely recommend it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    on good surface dirt trails ill do a steady 10 mph average on my pugs

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Unless you want a set of $200 tires for some other purpose I wouldn't spend the $$ just for a 5 day tour. The stock tires on your fatbike will do fine and they wear very slowly so you won't be burning up any rubber on this trip.
    I'm betting he'd find some other purpose to run Floyd's besides a five day tour. They win hands down for touring/road/hardpack. More better experience than endo/larry imo. You're right, tires seem to wear well. It never hurts having choices about what rubber is most applicable.

If tire application wasn't important we'd all still be riding endo's

100+ wheel-build club
    I'm betting he'd find some other purpose to run Floyd's besides a five day tour. They win hands down for touring/road/hardpack. More better experience than endo/larry imo. You're right, tires seem to wear well. It never hurts having choices about what rubber is most applicable.

Hey, I resemble that remark! (Still riding Endo's-F+R)! Looking forward to testing out dual BFL's on the Fatback. Still, gotta admit, a pair of Floyd's would instantly transform a fatbike into a sweet summer cruiser! 6-pack on the rack, flip-flop's, cruisin' downtown to meet the wife after work on our way to the reggae festival...

Geordie biker
    and as for top speeds, i managed this on my mukluk earlier in the year when we had snow........this was on a road desent in melting snow and 15psi........scary!!!!!

the low average (over a good 5hrs and 15-20 miles) was due to waiting for the normal bikers to catch up

www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    ^^^.... and I resemble that you resemble that

Floyd's are more than cruising with flop flops and a buzz (!) btw....I have two sets of endo's and love them. I think someday we'll all realize endo was really a great tire design. It was imo the best all round go anywhere do anything tire.

Maybe someday there will be an endo with a deeper tread, and they did seem to wear rather quickly, so maybe a second look at the venerable endo would be in order.

mtbr member
    OP; the above comments pretty much says it all about riding fatbikes, most guys here have a load of bikes to choose from to ride, some better suited too probably but they all love riding there fat bikes because of the fun factor

Talking about the Endos, at the UK fatbike meet we Joked about the front end steering of the 1st generation 60 TPI Endos being a bit vague in steering and sometimes a bit sketchy on slick mud compared to the later Larrys and 120 TPI Endos,
    Andy said new fatbikers should have to serve there FAT appenticeship on 60 TPI Endos up front so they will always appreciate the new tyres available...

This was suggested by him while drinking Irish Whisky with a Scotsman drinking Scotch

Big outlay but i would like to try the Black Floyds on the beach...reckon they would roll well
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Lets talk Floyd's on pavement riding hills with 3 speeds...it moves out!
    Cyclemeter-Cycle-20111112-1245.kml - Google Maps

(((12.6mph average over 45 miles / 455 feet ascent)))

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

mtbr member
    A set of Endos would be great for a dirt road tour. I still wouldn't buy a set of tires for a 5 day tour. And if I wanted/needed other tires I'd buy those specifically. So if you want a set of Floyd's by all means get 'em, but there is no need to for this tour.

I'm in year 4 of Fatbiking and I ended up moving from Endos to Larry's. I can see myself getting some Nate's or possibly some BFLs, but I have no use for Floyd's. If I was going to ride the CDN GDR again I'd spoon the Endos back on.

The OP would be fine to tour on whatever comes stock on his fatbike.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    A set of Endos would be great for a dirt road tour. I still wouldn't buy a set of tires for a 5 day tour. And if I wanted/needed other tires I'd buy those specifically. So if you want a set of Floyd's by all means get 'em, but there is no need to for this tour.

I'm in year 4 of Fatbiking and I ended up moving from Endos to Larry's. I can see myself getting some Nate's or possibly some BFLs, but I have no use for Floyd's. If I was going to ride the CDN GDR again I'd spoon the Endos back on.

The OP would be fine to tour on whatever comes stock on his fatbike.
    I don't think anyone was asking what you would do. Granted the OP would be fine on whatever comes with his bike, but let's not forget tire application. Tread designs are different for a reason.

Not defending Floyd because I don't have to. Have you ever had a set on your bike ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Have you ever had a set on your bike ?
    Smoooth. I feel bad when they get dirt on them...lol.

mtbr member
    Granted the OP would be fine on whatever comes with his bike, but let's not forget tire application. Tread designs are different for a reason.
    I'm simply trying to keep the discussion realistic. The OP hasn't even bought his fatbike yet and we are suggesting tire upgrades for a 5 day tour?...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm simply trying to keep the discussion realistic. The OP hasn't even bought his fatbike yet and we are suggesting tire upgrades for a 5 day tour?...
    No one needs to assume the responsibility of keeping a discussion realistic. Not you. Not me. The thread title is Speed on a fat tire bike. Seems to make sense to discuss tires no ?

Anyway, we're all a pretty hip group here. Even where we disagree we agree more.

......and that's all I have to say about that

100+ wheel-build club
    I think we're doing justice to this post. Ewoakman is asking if its reasonable to tour rails/trails on a fatbike. So far everyone who has responded seems to agree; SURE. Maybe not an ideal tourer but certainly "doable". He also asks what kind of speed to expect; REASONABLE speed. Some responders think a smoother tread tire might be better, and some think the cost and speed increase might not be worth it. He asks wether a fatbike is reasonable for touring on hardpack/light gravel terrain, because if so, he might buy one sooner than later, and I think EVERYONE with a fatbike can agree on this one-GET ONE ASAP! They're a blast! I value everyone's opinions and experiences on these forums. We don't always agree but thats OK, different people like different things, but after its all said and done, the person who asks the question will be able to make a BETTER decision for themselves with the help of others. Thats what this is all about! Case in point; My best friend in CO, (an experienced, avid cyclist), thinks I'm an idiot for having a fatbike-he doesn't get it. Today my wife's fatbike frame showed up, and I'm waiting for my second fattie to arrive from Fatback! If it's got two wheels, its ALL good!
    Last edited by johnny settle; 11-30-2011 at 05:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Johnny Settle, thanks for summing that up for me, everyone gave awesome feedback and it makes my decision easy.

mtbr member
    I'd leave the Larrys on. I commute on my Mukluk about 4 times a week through LA. I bought the Floyds to use as commuter tires. However, I've had some off road trips back to back recently so I've put the Larry back on and just installed a BFL on the front. I've been commuting with this tire setup and it's fine. Yeah, I'm a little slower than my 29er, but not much. I ride 26 miles a day on pavement. My average speed is around 12.5mph for each trip. I think that the I'll get more miles out of the Larrys with their deeper treads than I would with the smooth Floyds. Time will tell I guess, but I see no reason to switch the tires. If I can handle it on the pavement in LA, they should be fine for everywhere else.

Geordie biker
    Yeah, apart from the larger drag of the Nate, you will probaly find its the weight of a fat bike that slows you down, only a little, so I'm all for tire pressure increase and leave those knobblies on.......I'd say 85% of my riding is on roads and pavements, but it's still ready for everything else when I do take it off road

A 40+lb bike with road rubber will only roll a little smoother, not that much difference in speed.
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

mtbr member
    Our club had a local mid week and mid ride time trail, I've done it 3 times on 3 very different bikes.

All 3 were ridden on very similar condition nights (although theyre was a head wind on the Mukluk night) and here are my results

Mukluk - 19mins 16secs 11.27mph average
    Jones SS - 17mins 40secs 12.29mph average
    Niner Air 9 21lbs rigid race bike - 17mins 08secs 12.68mph average

The course is 3.62 miles long and 540ft of ascent

mtbr member
    I have a Pug with Black Floyd's and it is great for pavement commuting. Having said that, my 29er wiht Schwalbe Big Apples (2.35" wide) is much faster. I drop into a steep valley where my 29er will hit 42 MPH. The Pug only does about 34 MPH. Still, my flat-road average on the Pug is only about 2 MPH slower (14ish on the 29er vs. 12ish on the Pug). Plus if you're gonna load it heavy, the Pug wins.

I've not ridden much pavement on anything other than the Black Floyd's, so I can't compare tires... but to your original question I'd say if you can live with about 12 MPH on flat ground, go for the Fatbike. It'll be a whole lotta fun!