Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    mtbr member
    Hi all, took my Fatboy out for a great beach ride last week. Great adventure at 1' elevation

https://youtu.be/q1HPMW9UlSA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    So I was just walking around my LBS and they had a E Fatboy now. I said what the heck and took it for a spin, it was actually pretty fun, I could only imagine riding in 5 inches of snow with it. price was 5000
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Fatboy-20160831_103656.jpg  

2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hello,

I'd like to put a bluto on my 2017 medium sized aluminum fatboy (new frame design). Does anyone know if the fork will clear the downtube? The frame looks to have mounts for a frame bumper/stop like the carbon fatboy frames, but my LBS says there isn't one available to purchase, and the bumper for the carbon frame doesn't fit my bike. Please offer any insight to this as I don't want to buy a fork that could potentially damage my frame. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Schvizen View Post
    Hello,

I'd like to put a bluto on my 2017 medium sized aluminum fatboy (new frame design). Does anyone know if the fork will clear the downtube? The frame looks to have mounts for a frame bumper/stop like the carbon fatboy frames, but my LBS says there isn't one available to purchase, and the bumper for the carbon frame doesn't fit my bike. Please offer any insight to this as I don't want to buy a fork that could potentially damage my frame. Thanks in advance.
    May not exist, I can tell you with 100% certainty that the bumper from the carbon frame doesn't fit as well as the new epic ht. I don't have a camber one to try for reference. I'd double check that the dealer actually talked to the warranty dept.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHumpal View Post
    May not exist, I can tell you with 100% certainty that the bumper from the carbon frame doesn't fit as well as the new epic ht. I don't have a camber one to try for reference. I'd double check that the dealer actually talked to the warranty dept.
    That's a good point, I'll check for other bikes in the Specialized portfolio that use a bumper. Makes sense that they would try to share a simple part like that rather than design/manufacture a unique part just for the aluminum Fatboy. I'll also double check with another LBS to see if their answer correlates with the first. Thanks for the ideas!

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I just bought a new Specialized Fatboy SE and the rear has a bolt-on axle. Everywhere I look it states that it comes with a quick release axle. Does anyone know if this is correct? Is there an easy way to convert? I dont want to carry a 15mm socket wrench with me when I ride...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by lrodriguezvodak View Post
    I just bought a new Specialized Fatboy SE and the rear has a bolt-on axle. Everywhere I look it states that it comes with a quick release axle. Does anyone know if this is correct? Is there an easy way to convert? I dont want to carry a 15mm socket wrench with me when I ride...
    You bought a 2016

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    On Sale Framed 197mm x 12mm Rear Thru Axle

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    He has a "BMX" threaded axle and nut, not a thru axle.

Not the fake Jay Leno
    i have the initial run of Fatboy SE's that have QR front and rear. Maybe your LBS can swap out the axle. Otherwise, I recommend the Jethro Tule from Surly. Fits right in your seat bag and opens your beer after the ride too! I use it on my SS Pugsley, which I converted to a solid axle, because the QR could not keep the rear wheel from slipping in the horizontal dropouts.

Small Parts | Parts and Accessories | Surly Bikes

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    About 2015 Fatboy cranks. Everything else is now upgraded in my Fatboy (lauf, m8000/m9000, jackalopes+big ride, hope e4 race, carbon bars) but crankset is still original Samox. What is best choice for reasonable price crankset? And will 170mm spindle be ok with big shoes (shimano size UK12)?

Aeffect:
    https://www.raceface.com/products/de...aeffect-cranks

or

Turbine:
    https://www.raceface.com/products/de...e-cinch-cranks

And this is correct bb?
    https://www.raceface.com/products/details/cinch-pf30-bb

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Ready to go!

Update to new -15 Fatboy. Lauf, Slx-brakes, Bontrager Jackalope rims (because of easy tubeless), Dt Swiss 350s big ride rear hub, Renthal carbon bar, XTR shifter, XT rear derailleur, Sunrace 11-cassette, saddle and seatpost were changed too but they are still Specialized. Crankset I'm gonna change in some time but not yet. Weight 13780g.
    Last edited by Tctic; 04-06-2017 at 09:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Just built up a used 2016 frameset with the following, built on strict budget with a lot of parts that came with frame or I had laying around and still came to under 28 pounds very happy with it so far.

- Frame and Fork 2016
    - Wheels: bitex Hubs, Otso rims, tubeless of course with Hope QRs
    - Tires Surly Edna setup tubeless super easy
    - Crank: 170 / 170 Race Face Turbine with blackspire 30t ring
    - Drive Train: X9 shifter, GX 10 speed derailleur, Sunrace 11-42 cassette
    - Race face turbine handlebars and seatpost, generic 60mm stem
    - Koobi saddle old and worn out but was in the parts box still decently comfy

Ill get a picture up soon and ride report once I have some differing terrain miles under the tires, but interested in knowing what others are getting weight wise and what component selection they used for their budget fatboy builds?

EDIT pic added - first ride some quick gravel doubletrack, singletrack soonSpecialized Fatboy-night-pic.jpg
    Last edited by HEMIjer; 11-29-2017 at 06:41 AM. Reason: add pic
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I've been lovin' riding this bike on dirt singletrack (after riding it almost exclusively in snow for the last 2-3 years). I also increased Bluto travel from 80mm to 100mm this year. Love it - would not go back.

2014 Expert ('15?) Black with Red accents - size L
    Bluto (100mm)
    Salsa Front hub
    carbon 1" riser bar
    Thompson alloy seatpost
    Surly Nate 4.0 Rear (summer tire)
    GC 4.6 Front (summer tire)
    Speclzed 2.5 - 3.5 tubes
    XT cassette
    DT Swiss 350 rear hub (stock hub died a few weeks ago)
    XTR clipless pedals
    Ergo grips

Came in at 31.8 lbs.

Recently ordered new wheels - Nextie 90mm double wall carbon tubeless rims (should be good for 4 season riding) laced up to DT Swiss hubs. Can't wait to see how they affect...everything!

As soon as we get some real snow bike will go into winter mode - Bud/Lou tires and flat pedals.

Enjoy the ride!

The only upgrade I'm considering now would be the crank/BB - but don't want to spend $400+. Is there anything under $150-$200 (cranks and BB) worth getting?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Just got a 2018 Fatboy!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    delete
    Last edited by ak-rider; 01-09-2018 at 09:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Specialized Fatboy-e86b8cb9-5237-4bc6-bbc2-fbc06c8cce43.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Nice!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks. It's my first fat bike and I am pretty excited about it. Took it on a trail ride last weekend and it was spectacular. We had about 3" of snow on the ground.

mtbr member
    Well, my Gravity BEM wasn't cutting it anymore. I disliked the weight, the tires weren't great in snow, I had all kinds of chain suck, and then after winter and getting cleaned up the whole drivetrain rusted solid in storage. I was fed up and didn't want to keep putting money into my starter Fat Bike. I test rode a 2018 Fatboy on a whim and what a difference, dare I say it feels better than my regular mountain bike. Also, out of no where, my wife suddenly decided she wanted a fat bike so we started looking around. Last week I ordered a 2018 Fat Boy in black and a old stock 2017 Hellga in gray. I'd say we are well set and I am loving the Fat Boy. Won't look back.
    IMG_2926 by Jordan Schutt, on Flickr

IMG_2937 by Jordan Schutt, on Flickr

IMG_2943 by Jordan Schutt, on Flickr

IMG_2953 by Jordan Schutt, on Flickr
    2010 Specialized Hardrock - Undergoing needed updates.
    2015 Gravity Monster Bullseye
    2015 Cannondale Tango *wife's*

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    The DT Swiss / Nextie carbon wheels took off more than 2 lbs in weight. More than 2.5 probably, actually. But can't say for sure because I never weighed it with bone stock hubs. Only with Salsa fr and DT Swiss rr ( laced into stock rims - and they were close 2.5 lbs less than these, before sealant tho.)

Quote Originally Posted by CObikeman View Post
    I've been lovin' riding this bike on dirt singletrack (after riding it almost exclusively in snow for the last 2-3 years). I also increased Bluto travel from 80mm to 100mm this year. Love it - would not go back.

2014 Expert ('15?) Black with Red accents - size L
    Bluto (100mm)
    Salsa Front hub
    carbon 1" riser bar
    Thompson alloy seatpost
    Surly Nate 4.0 Rear (summer tire)
    GC 4.6 Front (summer tire)
    Speclzed 2.5 - 3.5 tubes
    XT cassette
    DT Swiss 350 rear hub (stock hub died a few weeks ago)
    XTR clipless pedals
    Ergo grips

Came in at 31.8 lbs.

Recently ordered new wheels - Nextie 90mm double wall carbon tubeless rims (should be good for 4 season riding) laced up to DT Swiss hubs. Can't wait to see how they affect...everything!

As soon as we get some real snow bike will go into winter mode - Bud/Lou tires and flat pedals.

Enjoy the ride!

The only upgrade I'm considering now would be the crank/BB - but don't want to spend $400+. Is there anything under $150-$200 (cranks and BB) worth getting?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Cheap Fat boy

Hey people
    Should i get a Fat bike?

Ive been thinking about it for ages but because I'm almost 47 years old i started thinking i would look a bit stupid on a fat bike?

The other day i was sitting in my car when a guy older than me came past me on one and that made my mind up"Go for it"

I had a quick look around and found a 2015 Specialized Fat boy in orange that had been sat at the back of a bike shop since its delivery date and
    Just up the road too i couldn't believe my luck.

So it was brand new and unused i made an offer of £800 with lights and some v8 pedals. They accepted as they wanted it out the way.

Ive added a handle bar bag, Brooks saddle. I got rid of the white in the rims and replaced it with black. Ive been having tons of fun on it.
    I will upgrade the brakes at some point to some XT's and then the cranks and stuff to SRAM GX 1x12

Other stuff i thought of could be Thomson stem,carbon bars, seat post and seat post clamp. I like Thomson stuff.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Fatboy-img_7526.jpg  

Specialized Fatboy-img_7527.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My last fat bike was just like the one you posted. I still have Fatboy but a carbon one. It is a bit racier (mainly a degree or so steeper head angle) so one has to watch the slow rocky descents but on snow, it is perfect. It turns sharply without washing out and navigate those tight uphill and downhill switchbacks tightly. There are some I cannot make easily on my slacker 29er and I do with the Fatboy. It is fun though I do prefer it on snow since I don't like hardtails on anything but smoother dirt. I have ridden it on dirt as well since we have no snow this year and it does well enough. I'll be keeping this bike as a dedicated snow and if I find a Farley on sale at the end of the season, I'll pick one up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
    My last fat bike was just like the one you posted. I still have Fatboy but a carbon one. It is a bit racier (mainly a degree or so steeper head angle) so one has to watch the slow rocky descents but on snow, it is perfect. It turns sharply without washing out and navigate those tight uphill and downhill switchbacks tightly. There are some I cannot make easily on my slacker 29er and I do with the Fatboy. It is fun though I do prefer it on snow since I don't like hardtails on anything but smoother dirt. I have ridden it on dirt as well since we have no snow this year and it does well enough. I'll be keeping this bike as a dedicated snow and if I find a Farley on sale at the end of the season, I'll pick one up.
    Cool!
    Ive now upgraded the following:

Shimano XT M8000 brakes
    Thomson Carbon bar
    Thomson Stem
    Thomson stem cap
    Thomson Seat post
    Thomson seat post clamp

Next week will either be upgrading to SRAM GX Eagle or XT? Not made up my mind as yet lol

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nice. I have only done tubeless and Enve bars but dropper incoming. May do new wheels. I like XT stuff...durable.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

New question here.

FATBOY SE
    FRAMESETS AVAILABLE?
    SWAPPING COMPONENTS FROM SMALL FRAME TO LARGE

2015 to 2015 or 2015 to '16, '17, '18

1. Are Fatboy SE Framesets available?

I didn't see them offered on Specialized's website

2. Can I swap everything off a Small 2015 SE to a 2015 or newer Large frame?

Any issues besides longer cables?

I don't necessarily want a newer frame, I am just willing to take any year I can find. Is there any reason to prefer a newer frame?

I can't find the specs on a 2015. Does anyone know where they can be found?

For a newer frame:
    .The 2015 has 2x chainwheel. Will they fit on a frame that comes standard with 1x?
    . Tire size and hubs OK?

HHL
    Que je suis bete!
    Nov 2004
    Flyer, I agree with pretty much everything you said about the geo of the carbon frame, but I think what you say about the handling on snow also applies to the gillions of miles of loose over hardpack you find from Southern Colorado to Southern California. Yeah, it is not the bike to hit chunky stuff fast, but going up and down loose steeps, railing tight downhill switchbacks with confidence, and controlled climbing going up said switchbacks, it is awesome. The front end stays planted and steers. Yeah, it is primarily a racy snow bike, but when it gets loose, tight and twisty, or for slow work through a little bit of rock, it acquits itself well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by HHL View Post
    Flyer, I agree with pretty much everything you said about the geo of the carbon frame, but I think what you say about the handling on snow also applies to the gillions of miles of loose over hardpack you find from Southern Colorado to Southern California. Yeah, it is not the bike to hit chunky stuff fast, but going up and down loose steeps, railing tight downhill switchbacks with confidence, and controlled climbing going up said switchbacks, it is awesome. The front end stays planted and steers. Yeah, it is primarily a racy snow bike, but when it gets loose, tight and twisty, or for slow work through a little bit of rock, it acquits itself well.
    Iíve just been offered a 2016 Fatboy comp carbon in red. Anyone got one with some images? Are you happy with it and will I notice much difference from my alloy Fatboy?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Joined Team Fatboy

At 41 I'm sort of jumping back in to the MTB scene. I haven't really rode since my mid 20's though lol. After a bit of research the last couple of months it just seemed the fatbike fit the bill for what I was looking for.

I went back and forth between the Farley and Fatboy but the Trek dealership didn't really want to work off of the MSRP. I was able Picked up the 18' Fatboy($1800msrp one) for $1440 at my LBS. At this point it was a easy decision.

Can't wait to ride!

Specialized Fatboy-jkb_0801.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rebnah View Post
    Iíve just been offered a 2016 Fatboy comp carbon in red. Anyone got one with some images? Are you happy with it and will I notice much difference from my alloy Fatboy?
    I have a 2018 Carbon Comp. Rides much nicer than the Alloy Fatboy I had.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    That looks nice in that colour

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have the same color- that bright red Comp Carbon...great color. I am usually not a fan of red. I had an alloy Fatboy before this. I am very happy with it. It is lighter than my alloy one by ~4 lbs and the lower weight is evident when climbing though the wheels weight the same. I also prefer the feel of a carbon frame over alloy. In my opinion, you will notice the same differences I do...definitely the weight and most likely the "quieter" feel. I am extremely happy I got it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I have the same color- that bright red Comp Carbon...great color. I am usually not a fan of red. I had an alloy Fatboy before this. I am very happy with it. It is lighter than my alloy one by ~4 lbs and the lower weight is evident when climbing though the wheels weight the same. I also prefer the feel of a carbon frame over alloy. In my opinion, you will notice the same differences I do...definitely the weight and most likely the "quieter" feel. I am extremely happy I got it.
    Cool got any images?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HHL View Post
    Yeah, I like it for a snow bike (and I only ride it in the winter) and it works well. It washes out less than a slacker fat bike but a really good front tire and some weight forward can mitigate that I guess. The only time I have to be careful is in chunky stuff (mostly flatter section) when there is no snow. The steeper head angle necessitates more careful riding if you are used to a slacker head angle on the regular trail bike. It's fine though...I am used to it now and it is an absolute blast on snow.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I know this is the Fatboy thread and I already have one. What would you choose between a Fatboy comp carbon or a 2016 Scott scale 700 RC? I like them both but finding it hard to decide

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'll try again later. As usual, Photobucket sucks so I cant post pics.

mtbr member
    I changed to Flickr and it works great.

Still loving our Fatboy and Hellga, It's completely re-energized my excitement for cycling.

IMG_2943 by Jordan Schutt, on Flickr

IMG_2953 by Jordan Schutt, on Flickr

IMG_2978 by Jordan Schutt, on Flickr

IMG_3030 by Jordan Schutt, on Flickr

I added some Raceface Atlas Pedals in blue, Raceface Atlas 50mm Stem in Blue, Raceface Atlas 780mm handlebar in Green, and Raceface Atlas lockons in blue. My wife was having a lot of trouble on our first snow ride with her pedals icing up so I picked up a set of Crank Brothers Stamp 2's to solve that.
    2010 Specialized Hardrock - Undergoing needed updates.
    2015 Gravity Monster Bullseye
    2015 Cannondale Tango *wife's*

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hope this works. Sorry for the link. Still need to figure out Flickr. Since this, I have added ENVE carbon DH bars (to get a rise) put on tubeless new tires (Bud front and Terenne Wazia rear) a new Thomson 70mm/10 stem, some small frame bags, and clipless pedals. I only use flats once the snow gets deeper...don't generally like them though I have some nice Deity ones I picked up for when we get real snow.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4662/...fa2916e7_b.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Hope this works. Sorry for the link. Still need to figure out Flickr. Since this, I have added ENVE carbon DH bars (to get a rise) put on tubeless new tires (Bud front and Terenne Wazia rear) a new Thomson 70mm/10 stem, some small frame bags, and clipless pedals. I only use flats once the snow gets deeper...don't generally like them though I have some nice Deity ones I picked up for when we get real snow.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4662/...fa2916e7_b.jpg
    Looks really nice mate👍🏻
    Iíve bit the bullet today and brought the last one in the UK from Specialized. Got an amazing price of just £1400.
    Iíve got some Thomson carbon bars, Thomson stem, seat post and clamp ready to go on it when it arrives.
    Iím going to add Shimano XTR M9000 brakes and Sram Eagle.
    Will be a stonker!

mtbr member

2018 fatboy alloy base 28 lbs all stock except tires and tubes

Looks really nice mate
    Iíve bit the bullet today and brought the last one in the UK from Specialized. Got an amazing price of just £1400.
    Iíve got some Thomson carbon bars, Thomson stem, seat post and clamp ready to go on it when it arrives.
    Iím going to add Shimano XTR M9000 brakes and Sram Eagle.
    Will be a stonker!
    My new $1499.00 (sale price) 2018 fatboy base medium with m5 aluminum frame and carbon fork only weighs a little over 28 lbs. all stock except for bottle cage ,schwalbe jumbo jim (liteskin) 26 x 4.8's and lighter schwalbe tubes. all reflectors ,rim stout decals and cage bolts were removed. this new bike for 2018 has been mostly ignored by bike magazines and online reviews but with its many factory upgrades from last year it is a lot of bang for the buck !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Fatboy-img_7294.jpg  

Specialized Fatboy-img_7286.jpg  

Specialized Fatboy-img_7288.jpg  

Specialized Fatboy-img_7296.jpg  

Last edited by BIGFAT29; 03-09-2018 at 02:19 PM. Reason: size medium

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGFAT29 View Post
    My new $1499.00 (sale price) 2018 fatboy base medium with m5 aluminum frame and carbon fork only weighs a little over 28 lbs. all stock except for bottle cage ,schwalbe jumbo jim (liteskin) 26 x 4.8's and lighter schwalbe tubes. all reflectors ,rim stout decals and cage bolts were removed. this new bike for 2018 has been mostly ignored by bike magazines and online reviews but with its many factory upgrades from last year it is a lot of bang for the buck !
    Looks great!
    Mine has gone now and I've finished a completely new MTB build instead.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Hey people
    Should i get a Fat bike?

Ive been thinking about it for ages but because I'm almost 47 years old i started thinking i would look a bit stupid on a fat bike?

The other day i was sitting in my car when a guy older than me came past me on one and that made my mind up"Go for it"

I had a quick look around and found a 2015 Specialized Fat boy in orange that had been sat at the back of a bike shop since its delivery date and
    Just up the road too i couldn't believe my luck.

So it was brand new and unused i made an offer of £800 with lights and some v8 pedals. They accepted as they wanted it out the way.

Ive added a handle bar bag, Brooks saddle. I got rid of the white in the rims and replaced it with black. Ive been having tons of fun on it.
    I will upgrade the brakes at some point to some XT's and then the cranks and stuff to SRAM GX 1x12

Other stuff i thought of could be Thomson stem,carbon bars, seat post and seat post clamp. I like Thomson stuff.
    Love the orange. Such a cool color!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by StaticSag View Post
    Love the orange. Such a cool color!

I agree. That was my first choice but I couldn't find the orange in medium. I almost wasn't going to buy the black but again at the price I got it for put me over. A couple months later and I have to say the gloss black has really grown on me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Fatboy-20180209_161938.jpg  

2018 Gloss Black Specialized Fatboy

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Sog View Post
    I agree. That was my first choice but I couldn't find the orange in medium. I almost wasn't going to buy the black but again at the price I got it for put me over. A couple months later and I have to say the gloss black has really grown on me.
    Most of my bikes are black. Thereís no fleas on your bike; love that one too!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schvizen View Post
    Hello,

It does exist and I have one for sale if anyone needs it for$10+shipping. I cracked my Alum 17 Fatboy and uppgraded to carbon comp.
    Specialized Fatboy-20171119_141557.jpgrSpecialized Fatboy-20171119_141547.jpg
    Last edited by Blaster182; 03-14-2018 at 10:54 PM.
    Gotta Ride Fat !!!

mtbr member
    BIGFAT29 - Same frame as 17 fatboy, mine cracked at botom bracket/chainstay weld on drive side. This frame has a lot of flex if ya stomp on it. Keep an eye on it. Specialized Fatboy-20171216_135123.jpg
    Gotta Ride Fat !!!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the heads up blaster182.now Im a little worried as Im not skinny. I weigh about 200 pounds.when your frame cracked what was your weight ? Im a old guy and dont ride hardcore anymore. maybe if I stop all the wheelies my frame will last .

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hi I hope I have the right thread.
    I have the 2014 model with a blown free hub.
    Behind all 3 pawls there has been metal broken off the freehub body.
    Does anyone know if I can replace the freehub with a freehub with more pawls or a stronger version.
    Iím 100kg and the freehub broke when I was bikepacking.

Cheers

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by BIGFAT29 View Post
    Thanks for the heads up blaster182.now Im a little worried as Im not skinny. I weigh about 200 pounds.when your frame cracked what was your weight ? Im a old guy and dont ride hardcore anymore. maybe if I stop all the wheelies my frame will last .
    I weigh 185, I am sure this is not a widespread problem, I think it was just an unfortunate manufacturing defect. I do ride my bike hard, on rooty, Rocky trails. I mearly want people to be aware of my issue, and just keep an eye out with periodic inspections, so you don't get caught getting stuck or hurt on trails.
    Be safe and have fun with your Fatboy,. Did not stop me from getting another one. Love my bike!
    Gotta Ride Fat !!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by saron View Post
    Hi I hope I have the right thread.
    I have the 2014 model with a blown free hub.
    Behind all 3 pawls there has been metal broken off the freehub body.
    Does anyone know if I can replace the freehub with a freehub with more pawls or a stronger version.
    Iím 100kg and the freehub broke when I was bikepacking.

Cheers
    Specialized has had issues with the rear hubs. If you still have your bill of sale, I would recommend returning rear wheel to specialized dealer. They are fantastic with warranty's. They replaced mine with a HOPE fatsno hub and paid for wheel relacing.
    Gotta Ride Fat !!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I just picked my nine-year-old son up a 24" Fatboy brand new for $500. It's going to be a surprise so I didn't size him on it. With doing a little research it seems like we should be good for a couple years anyways. He's 4'6" right now.

Besides once he's too big for the 24" then I'll give him my medium fatboy. Then Daddy gets a full carbon 😁

mtbr member
    Sweet!
    Gotta Ride Fat !!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Nice bike 

Can't wait to give it to him!

Specialized Fatboy-2018-09-08_12-10-12.jpg

mtbr member

Good job!

Nice bike 

Can't wait to give it to him!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-09-08_12-10-12.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	239.5 KB 
ID:	1215605
    Great when you can get your kids into what you love.
    I did the same for my kid when he was really young.
    Always made it fun and rode together a lot, on as many trails as we could find. He is now 19 and I now have the greatest riding buddy I could have ever have wished for. Always wants to go at a moment's notice. Anywhere, anytime. Night riding is the best!
    Enjoy the ride!!!!
    Gotta Ride Fat !!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster182 View Post
    Great when you can get your kids into what you love.
    I did the same for my kid when he was really young.
    Always made it fun and rode together a lot, on as many trails as we could find. He is now 19 and I now have the greatest riding buddy I could have ever have wished for. Always wants to go at a moment's notice. Anywhere, anytime. Night riding is the best!
    Enjoy the ride!!!!
    Yes! I'm excited and hoping this is the case!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    My lbs has the new 2019 carbon in and it looks pretty slick.

I don't see it on Specialized website. I did find one photo online but the photo doesn't do the bike justice. It looks great in person.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Last week I was a few hours away from home attending meetings for work. I had been there for a couple of days and noticed a bike shop not far from where my meetings were at, so I stopped in over lunch one day. In a forgotten, dusty corner I found this guy marked down on clearance. It was just my size so I took it on an extensive test ride.

Since I didnít have my bike rack with me and I carpooled with co-workers I had no way to get this bad boy home so I put it on lay away. Now I just need to plan a trip back in the next week or two and bring it home!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Fatboy-2016-specialized-fatboy-trail.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    My lbs has the new 2019 carbon in and it looks pretty slick.

I don't see it on Specialized website. I did find one photo online but the photo doesn't do the bike justice. It looks great in person.
    I rode the 2019 Fatboy Comp Carbon today. I was going to another shop to buy a Ice Cream Truck and stopped at another shop to see what they had to offer. After riding the Fatboy Comp Carbon, I passed on the ICT and will most likely buy the Fatboy. My shoe rubbed on the crank of the 2019 ICT when peddling much like my shoe rubbing on the chain stay of the Mukluk (2017 i think). Didn't have the problem with the last years ICT. The crank is different on the new ICT.

The Fatboy Comp Carbon is a bit over my budget but I think I will have to make it work as its the first bike I have rode that I wont have to make changes to get it to my liking. I will still do some more shopping to make sure though.

mtbr member
    You will love it!
    Gotta Ride Fat !!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I've had my Fatboy Comp Carbon since April. It was a new 2017 model leftover that I bought at a huge discount. Given how much of a discount it was, I upgraded it:

• TRP four piston brakes
    • Shimano XT shifter/derailleur
    • 32T Raceface front sprocket
    • 11-46T Sunrace cassette
    • 45mm steering stem
    • SKAMP pedals
    • Contour GL Gel saddle
    • Dura Fleetwood 26x4.00 semi-slick tires (I ride on the street 99% of the time)
    • Ergon cork grips
    • Oi bell
    • Specialized frame bag (smallest one)
    • OTTOlock bicycle lock
    • Bontrager Ion front and rear lights (and yes, I ride on the street: I kept the wheel reflectors)
    • Garmin Edge 25

All up and ready to ride, it weighs 28.3 lbs.

This is how it looks today, 1800 miles later:

I love riding this bicycle.

G

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have a 2015 Carbon Comp Fatboy. Can someone tell me what I need , headset wise, to put a Bluto on it? The Bluto is on my wife's ICT. I'd like to try it out on the Fatboy.

mtbr member
    My wife has been complaining our Moonlanders are too heavy.....(I had been eyeing the Comp Carbons for the last couple years so this was the green light)

So I stopped by my LBS just to have a look around being they were having a sale.

Wish they sold the 2019 comp carbons in a couple colors.

Ended up ordering a Gray 2019 comp carbon and a neon 2018 comp carbon.
    Moonlander's
    Sandman Hogger Ti

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by aminkman View Post
    I have a 2015 Carbon Comp Fatboy. Can someone tell me what I need , headset wise, to put a Bluto on it? The Bluto is on my wife's ICT. I'd like to try it out on the Fatboy.
    The specs on my 2016 Fatboy Trail that came with a Bluto: HEADSET 1-1/8" upper, 1-1/2" lower, threadless, Campy style, cartridge bearings

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    2015 Aluminum Fatboy ... swapping the Samox crankset out for a RF Turbine (170mm width). 2 questions (and feel free to point me to a link if it's been answered): First, if I use the RF PF30 BB, what spindle spacer configuration is needed? I think it's 1.5mm on the non-drive side and 4mm (1.5mm + 2.5mm) on the drive side (per the RF q-factor chart). Sound right? Second, can I just use the stock PF30 BB? It's not crunchy or creaky. If so, what spacers would I need? And lastly, I also have a Wheels Mfg. PF30 BB (PF30-FAT-BB) that I can use. Does anyone know the spacer configuration if I were to use that one? Thanks .. just want to have the necessary spacers before I pull the old POS Samox crankset off.

Tom

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678