Specialized Fatboy - Page 4- Mtbr.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    I've been running the Specialized 2.3-3.0 x 26" tubes fr the last 500mi and they have worked fine. I'd probably switch to 24" tubes the next time though as they wont balloon up as much when swapping tires.
    Are the specialized tubes lighter than Surly Ultra Light tubes?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Yes- the 26"x2.3-3.0 are approximately 270-275gr and the 24"x2.3-3.0 are 235-240gr. The super light q-tubes are even lighter but may not be as reliable when inflated to 4.6-4.8"

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    The Surley ultra light tubes are 310g so a little savings it looks like by using the Specialized

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Not the fake Jay Leno
    I tried the Qtube SL 26" and was not impressed. I had 2 that failed upon initial install and two on the trail via pinch flat. The regular Qtube 24" weigh the same (250 g) and seem to fit better. So far so good after a couple of months. I still have a couple of SLs left, but I don't put a new one in my pack without airing it up first. SLs are too dodgy for me.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    After experimenting with Pegasus tape I think I've finally got my "recipe" down with how to get reliable tubeless, so I'm setting up my front to match (its TL, just was my first crap attempt that happened to hold) and hopefully won't get rained out tomorrow!

Completely changes the bike for the better.

mtbr member
    Use the 24" Qtube and use it for split tube tubeless set up. Takes no time and works great. Did both mine in about 30min start to finish.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sdsyver View Post
    Use the 24" Qtube and use it for split tube tubeless set up. Takes no time and works great. Did both mine in about 30min start to finish.
    Thats my backup plan but honestly the pegasus tape is pretty dang easy, and you don't have to fiddle with the tube.

The tape is so wide you *only* have to worry about doing the overlap/seam right. It's basically a light split tube that stays on the rim when you pull the tire off (which is important to me) and requires no trimming.

I've found that it seems bulletproof if you just put an extra "patch" over the seam and rub it down to perfection. Takes about 10-30 minutes as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow_Thyroid_Bike View Post
    Thats my backup plan but honestly the pegasus tape is pretty dang easy, and you don't have to fiddle with the tube.

The tape is so wide you *only* have to worry about doing the overlap/seam right. It's basically a light split tube that stays on the rim when you pull the tire off (which is important to me) and requires no trimming.

I've found that it seems bulletproof if you just put an extra "patch" over the seam and rub it down to perfection. Takes about 10-30 minutes as well.
    Sorry for being too lazy to go through the thread again, but which Pegasus tape are you using? Do you have an item number from their site?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by wrc2006 View Post
    Sorry for being too lazy to go through the thread again, but which Pegasus tape are you using? Do you have an item number from their site?
    Leading Edge Tape, 100', 10 or 11 mil IIRC, black. It's 4" wide.

Edit: the 4" here
    https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...p?Product=3323

Whats funny is if you check the reviews it's 3/4 fatbike reviews and one for what it's actually made for.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Awesome! Thank you!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    My wrapping technique, not sure if this is typical, is to kind of set the first couple inches in, then pull "tangent" to the rim (holding the roll in one hand, the rim in the other) while wrapping and kind of strech the tape to where it tacos itself a little and use my index/thumbs on the sides of the rims as guides to set the slightly tacod tape down into the rim. I don't stress on contact being perfect for the center - i focus on the parts around where the bead is. I rub those grooves down as I go, and repeat.

Unroll 6-10"
    Stretch/Taco/Work Tape Down
    Guide down with fingers as "goal posts" on rim edge
    Work the bead corners

then when done just cut another 6-9" or so and work it down over the seam PERFECTLY (with ideally a perfect seam) and do your valve stem. I've never had a hint of an issue with stans valves when tightened down, and all I do is stab a "plus sign" in the hole with some sharp scissors that I use to spatchcock chickens for my smoker. Then just stick the valve in and tighten the ring down with needle nose pliers.

I run 4-5oz of Orange Seal in each tire.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Once again, thanks! I've read similar instructions and tried tape tubeless with a vinyl type tape I had, but it was too thin and tore on the rim cut-outs.
    Can't believe how much pegasus charges for ground shipping. I'll get my buddies to pitch in a few beers for some of the tape. 100' should set us all up...

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Hello!

Let me introduce my new bike. I made a view upgrades to personalize my bike.

1. Bluto
    2. XT Brakes
    3. Tubeless (Ghetto)
    4. 1x11 Shimano with Raceface 30T

With this changes the bike is done! The weight is 15kg exactly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Hello,

This is my Fatboy! Glad with my upgrades:

1. Bluto
    2. XT 1x11 Shimano with Raceface 30T
    3. XT Brakes
    4. Ghetto Tubeless.

The weight is 15kg with pedals.

Specialized Fatboy-2015-08-10-16.56.18.jpgSpecialized Fatboy-2015-07-17-18.22.15.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-07-17 18.22.15.jpg 
Views:	2161 
Size:	199.4 KB 
ID:	1008009

mtbr member
    Nice! out of interest what tubes did you use to go Ghetto?
    I maybe getting older but i refuse to grow up!

Tawaitai
    Mar 2011
    Seventh 777 FWIW I'm 5'10, 175lbs and the medium fits me perfectly. Everyone's different though, so definitely take both sizes for a spin if you can!

Quote:
    >Walked into The Bike Shop Honolulu, Hi ( I live on the neighbor-island Kauai) No
    Fat-Boys in stock. I was looking at a size medium possibly? at 6'1, 195lbs. Happy i
    got to see and test-fit Large size in person and not guess on pics on the web, the Medium would definitely be TOO small.
    $1598.00> Ouchhh. asked LBS if there's some sort of trade-in value for upgrade on
    parts-spec. upgrade= NO! I may have to shop a different LBS.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    FatBoy Pro: Starting to get a squeaking sound and rubbing sound from the back wheel.
    Notice it most with tire lifted off ground and manually spin wheel. (not crank, just wheel moving)
    No obvious reason for either noise. Is this a notorious hub issue? Or axle or??

mtbr member
    Hi
    Take it to your LBS

Kiwi Pete from the road

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post
    FatBoy Pro: Starting to get a squeaking sound and rubbing sound from the back wheel.
    Notice it most with tire lifted off ground and manually spin wheel. (not crank, just wheel moving)
    No obvious reason for either noise. Is this a notorious hub issue? Or axle or??
    Check the dust cap on the rear hub (non-drive side). I got some weird creaking noises one day and it turned out all it was was the dust cap and worked itself loose.

mtbr member
    Need some help understanding the stock se headset, I just picked up an ordered se rolling chassis with lbs upgrading cranks to turbine cinch. The crown race is what to looks to be thick plastic and makes a huge gap between the head tube and fork. I also noticed that I may be missing a rubber gasket for the top of the headset as there is a slight gap there too. Any help will be appreciated.

Fatboy SE
    RF Cinch BB
    RF Turbine Cinch 170
    WT 28t CR
    SRAM 1070 11-36
    KMC Eco Proteq
    Vault Brendogs
    XO 2.1 DR med
    XO 10spd RS
    XT M8000 180/160
    RF Atlas stem/bars
    Ergon gs1L

Looking forward to getting this boy together.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    can you get a pic of the problem areas?

mtbr member
    Has anyone converted their fatboy to a sram gxp crank and if so what did you use or do for the BB, i have googled and as yet not found anything that is designed for 100mm PF30 application. There is certainly adapters/PF cups for 68/73mm frames that could be used including 46mm pf to bsa. Reasons for changing, so over replacing bb30 bearings and the creaks and noise that belongs to them. At the moment thinking about gluing the sram pf30 to bsa cups in and using the gxp 100mm bb. Have looked at problem solvers, first components and many others but would love a heads up if someone knows something specific or has done it. Might just end up selling it and buying a Fuse which also has the same shite but with a normal bb width that has plenty of options to play with! Cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Specialized Fatboy-20160117_070850%5B1%5D.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I went with sram X9 and sram black box BB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Fatboy-20160117_070850%5B1%5D.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gearless View Post
    can you get a pic of the problem areas?
    Specialized Fatboy-img_20160117_095642572res.jpgSpecialized Fatboy-img_20160117_095720762res.jpg
    Here are pics, I can take some with it off if needed in a little bit. thanks

mtbr member
    I went with sram X9 and sram black box BB
    Do you have any more info you can provide?

Is that an X9 100mm crank like shown here?

Is the BB threaded?
    I bike with tires.

mtbr member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160117_070850[1].jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	1043348
    Thanks gearless, so just the sram pf30-bsa cups and the 100mm fatbike gxp bb, did you glue the cups in or just press in with grease or copper paste? Cheers

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Specialized Fatboy

Finally got out for a ride with my tubeless setup (gorilla tape and tubeless Slime, both from Walmart!). At first I didn't notice much in terms of weight savings, but once I got to the first steep climb it felt like the acceleration was better. Also, even at the same pressure as before, the tires seemed to grip better and be more supple. I actually decided to do it to cut down on the number of flats but the performance is great. Highly recommend it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I converted mine using Fatty Strippers and it works really well. Been on 4 rides and flawless. I am having one issue (maybe common) with the discs howling like crazy. The front is especially bad. It is driving me nuts, and hikers are probably a bit freaked out when I come upon them and brake. Great bike overall...glad they did not make it slacker. I can see the front washing out easier. The tires are decent but I may try a Bud/Dunderbeist combo next season.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SJEVO View Post
    Need some help understanding the stock se headset, I just picked up an ordered se rolling chassis with lbs upgrading cranks to turbine cinch. The crown race is what to looks to be thick plastic and makes a huge gap between the head tube and fork. I also noticed that I may be missing a rubber gasket for the top of the headset as there is a slight gap there too. Any help will be appreciated.

Fatboy SE
    RF Cinch BB
    RF Turbine Cinch 170
    WT 28t CR
    SRAM 1070 11-36
    KMC Eco Proteq
    Vault Brendogs
    XO 2.1 DR med
    XO 10spd RS
    XT M8000 180/160
    RF Atlas stem/bars
    Ergon gs1L

Looking forward to getting this boy together.
    "Still no answer on this, lbs said some have more gap & headset came on bike direct from specialized. Maybe wrong at the factory? I'm assuming the crown race for an aluminum fork would be similar to a suspension fork, which the one on this is not. This may push me over the edge to a carbon fork."

Got a answer on this, stopped by lbs today since I was in the area, to order a cane creek headset and look at the hellga they said looked the same way. It did but the med blue SE next to it did not, so lbs got on the phone with spec to find out yeap some were sent out with an incorrect crown race. It will do no harm just leaves a generous gap. Lbs had them send them replacements and gave me one out of the stock pile.
    Last edited by SJEVO; 01-19-2016 at 02:55 PM.

Brown Jersey Winner
    just picked up my carbon comp saturday, this thing RIPS!

it came with 4.0 GC's

weight with candy 1 pedals and garmin/kedge/gopro attached mechanical scale @ LBS says 28.75, digital scale at buddies house says 29.3

it feels closer to 25lbs and it really shines bombing downhill. it climbs like a billygoat and i have to make sure to shift more weight forward on crazy steep hills to keep from wheelieing up the whole thing

GCs are dreadful on the road but ive yet to find the edge of traction with them on the trail

eventually itl get more carbon treatment, perhaps a 120mm bluto, and B+ wheels for bikepacking. right now im just loving life, so happy to be in the fatbike club
    I'll be the axe that clears the forest.

https://dirthurt.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Just ordered a 45NRTH Flowbeist for my Fatboy. I'm so over this Ground Control washing out!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumonkan View Post

it came with 4.0 GC's

weight with candy 1 pedals and garmin/kedge/gopro attached mechanical scale @ LBS says 28.75, digital scale at buddies house says 29.3

it feels closer to 25lbs and it really shines bombing downhill. it climbs like a billygoat and i have to make sure to shift more weight forward on crazy steep hills to keep from wheelieing up the whole thing

GCs are dreadful on the road but ive yet to find the edge of traction with them on the trail

eventually itl get more carbon treatment, perhaps a 120mm bluto, and B+ wheels for bikepacking. right now im just loving life, so happy to be in the fatbike club
    Thing is soo sweet, pictures don't do it justice, I drool over the one at lbs everytime I'm in there. I'm a little surprised by the weight, figured it be a touch lighter.

Not the fake Jay Leno
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumonkan View Post

it came with 4.0 GC's

Congrats, nice! Look no further than the toobs, if you want to knock off some weight for cheap. The Spesh toobs are ~520g each, if they are the same ones that came on my bike. 24" Q toobs, ghetto tubeless, or fattystrippers are good options. The fattystrippers set up real easy on the Spesh rims.

Brown Jersey Winner
    Thing is soo sweet, pictures don't do it justice, I drool over the one at lbs everytime I'm in there. I'm a little surprised by the weight, figured it be a touch lighter.
    if i take off the pedals and electronics and its ~27 and change. it feels and rides like a lighter bike, after i change stuff out i expect it to be ~23. i think the S-works is <24 out of the box

Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    Congrats, nice! Look no further than the toobs, if you want to knock off some weight for cheap. The Spesh toobs are ~520g each, if they are the same ones that came on my bike. 24" Q toobs, ghetto tubeless, or fattystrippers are good options. The fattystrippers set up real easy on the Spesh rims.
    im considering the strippers but id prefer a tape solution. i saw a post somewhere on here about wide tape that was the same material as stans but i cant find it now. cant wait to get the tubes out!

mtbr member
    Patiently waiting on UPS to delivery the other parts I need
    Specialized Fatboy-img_20160119_175715827res.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    just picked up '16 comp - will get on her this weekend

glad I wore underwear to the bike shop today - she is beautiful

Specialized Fatboy-fatboy01.jpg

mtbr member

Enjoy the ride...

mtbr member

Nice! I wanted the same bike but had too many parts awaiting a build to justify. I'm curious to know what the inside of the fork colors are, as I'm looking to switch to a carbon fork. I hope to have time to work on mine tomorrow between shoveling.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Got my Comp little over a week ago, already 5 rides in and ready for the snow tomorrow in NY...

Weighed in at 31.59 lbs fully stock with my xtr pedals:

Specialized Fatboy-fatboy-comp-2.jpg

Specialized Fatboy-fatboy-comp-1.jpg

Specialized Fatboy-23921970583_9b3250c0bc_c.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Nice! I wanted the same bike but had too many parts awaiting a build to justify. I'm curious to know what the inside of the fork colors are, as I'm looking to switch to a carbon fork. I hope to have time to work on mine tomorrow between shoveling.
    the bike is basically murdered out sans the fatboy logo and a streak of white on the top tube - think the carbon comp but the chisel logo is black as well

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shamrok View Post
    the bike is basically murdered out sans the fatboy logo and a streak of white on the top tube - think the carbon comp but the chisel logo is black as well
    Thanks for the info, if you go bluto, let me know cuz thats the fork I need. I hope to be posting pics of mine together later today.

mtbr member
    swapped out tubes and switched to the 4.6's right away, have a dropped on order and trying to figure out what platforms(currently have vp harriers) carbon bars with a little rise in the near future and maybe a bluto come summer time.

color looks better in person. awesome bike, still getting used to no suspension but the bike rips.

Specialized Fatboy-fullsizerender-3.jpgSpecialized Fatboy-image1.jpg
    15 enduro comp, renthal carbon bars/stem, dropper
    Hopefully getting fat this winter

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by arn907 View Post
    swapped out tubes and switched to the 4.6's right away, have a dropped on order and trying to figure out what platforms(currently have vp harriers) carbon bars with a little rise in the near future and maybe a bluto come summer time.

color looks better in person. awesome bike, still getting used to no suspension but the bike rips.

Name:	FullSizeRender-3.jpg 
Views:	561 
Size:	209.9 KB 
ID:	1044886Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	1044887
    Nice bike!

Give this a go and you can have reusable tubeless:

http://youtu.be/KUr5LDjBi_s
    Ď19 Fargo Ti
    '17 Cutthroat
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Seen multiple posts on issues with tekro brakes; sharing this in case someone else has experienced. I had several headaches with brakes on '15 fatboy. Rear squealed badly, and it resonated with the frame under certain conditions, creating an awful honking sound. After a couple of unsuccessful attempts to re-bed, I switched to shimano organic pads and replaced stock rotor with magura sl. That finally fixed it. Still get some squealing when wet, but not unlike other brakes.

On the front, I had buzzing/rubbing of the rotor on the pad as the fork and wheel flexed under certain loads. Drove me crazy trying to adjust. Took it to two shops to fix and both unsuccessful. The message from both was that it was unavoidable given the tight clearances. On a whim, I tried downsizing the rotor (from 180 to 160) -- just remove the spacer piece between the caliper and fork -- and the problem vanished. Blissful silence. I'm light (145 lbs) and ride in the Midwest, so no issue with smaller rotor; of course this may not work for everyone.

mtbr member
    Was able to get most of build done yesterday...
    Fatboy SE
    RF Cinch BB
    RF Turbine Cinch 170
    WT 28t CR
    SRAM 1070 11-36
    KMC Eco Proteq
    Vault Brendogs
    XO 2.1 RD med
    XO 10spd RS
    XT M8000 180/160
    Haven 55 stem
    EC90 bars
    Ergon gs1L

Future...
    Rack
    seatpost
    binder
    Specialized Fatboy-img_20160124_105550171res.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Was able to get most of build done yesterday...
    Fatboy SE
    RF Cinch BB
    RF Turbine Cinch 170
    WT 28t CR
    SRAM 1070 11-36
    KMC Eco Proteq
    Vault Brendogs
    XO 2.1 RD med
    XO 10spd RS
    XT M8000 180/160
    Haven 55 stem
    EC90 bars
    Ergon gs1L

Future...
    Rack
    seatpost
    binder
    how's the 11-36 with that in climbing/technical climbing? the 11-40 seems a little weird so far with me - seems like i am generally in the 18t a majority of the time

mtbr member
    Don't know yet, just finished everything today. I have 34T pushing 11-40 on a stumpy ht and barely used the lower gear cogs. It's considerably lighter, so my math told me that this should work for me.
    Specialized Fatboy-dsc00438.jpgSpecialized Fatboy-dsc00439.jpg

mtbr member
    Don't know yet, just finished everything today. I have 34T pushing 11-40 on a stumpy ht and barely used the lower gear cogs. It's considerably lighter, so my math told me that this should work for me.

Name:	DSC00438.jpg 
Views:	445 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	1045936Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00439.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	1045937
    That thing look awesome!

mtbr member

I've really been enjoying my fatboy. My first fat bike. I think the only thing I want to change is put a 100mm air shaft in the bluto.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raleighguy29 View Post

I've really been enjoying my fatboy. My first fat bike. I think the only thing I want to change is put a 100mm air shaft in the bluto.

Love me some Brown County! More than worth the 6 hour drive from here.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Love me some Brown County! More than worth the 6 hour drive from here.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    I live a 1 hr north of it so I ride there a lot!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco taco View Post
    That thing look awesome!
    Thanks, here are some pics taken before the 1st ride today.
    Specialized Fatboy-dsc00451.jpgSpecialized Fatboy-dsc00456.jpgSpecialized Fatboy-dsc00457.jpgSpecialized Fatboy-dsc00466.jpg
    Placed an order today for a cane creek 40 headset, my ocd won't allow the gap or lack of upper seal on the stock fsa. Also a axiom fatliner rear rack was ordered and I've been looking into dropper seat posts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Which headset fits the Fatboy (15 expert/ carbon fork)?
    Does any one know the spec of the lower 1.5" bearing.

Is it a 45deg 45deg?
    Whats the inner and outer Dimensions?
    If any one has a link to one that is the right spec please?

I have a frame and fork. Just have the crown race on the fork.
    What top headset would work?

Any info appreciated.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks pri71.👍

mtbr member
    Is42/52 tapered

Brown Jersey Winner
    this makes me a bit sad that i cant put the angleset in there

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Well i'm still stuck on a lower bearing to fit the Carbon fork on my fatboy.
    The crown race is bonded to the fork.

I have a lower bearing from my trek which fits in every way except it is 36x45 not 45x45.
    This bearing is OD around 52 Internal Diameter greater than 40 (40.5-40.8)?

got a lower bearing that was 52/40 and it does not fit on the crown race. The bearing from the trek does.
    So I need a 52/40+ but they don't seam to exist?
    If any one can point me to a bearing that fits or what I should be looking for i'd appreciate it.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yamaha46 View Post
    Well i'm still stuck on a lower bearing to fit the Carbon fork on my fatboy.
    The crown race is bonded to the fork.

I have a lower bearing from my trek which fits in every way except it is 36x45 not 45x45.
    This bearing is OD around 52 Internal Diameter greater than 40 (40.5-40.8)?

got a lower bearing that was 52/40 and it does not fit on the crown race. The bearing from the trek does.
    So I need a 52/40+ but they don't seam to exist?
    If any one can point me to a bearing that fits or what I should be looking for i'd appreciate it.
    Thanks.
    Is this a chisel fork? I thought all the fatboys had the same headset, the cc headset I just installed had no issues w/ se fork, I used the same crown race as I wanted to save the cc one for a bluto in the future.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Your SE is an alloy fork right?

I guess mine is the chisel carbon fork.
    The crown race is non replacable and bonded to the carbon fork. The ID40 bearings do not fit on it.

mtbr member
    I just reduced a Bluto for my buddy. It was about $60 bucks for parts and took about 30 minutes. Pretty easy going job.
    ďPeople fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Yea, if yours has 135qr I was under the assumption all was the same. I'm not sure about the 150ta fork on the carbon models. From my research the 150ta was a different length and had a carbon crown race where the 135qr had a bonded aluminum crown race.

Your SE is an alloy fork right?

I guess mine is the chisel carbon fork.
    The crown race is non replacable and bonded to the carbon fork. The ID40 bearings do not fit on it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Mines the 2015 Alloy expert model with a full carbon fork, bonded alloy crown race.

mtbr member
    Mines the 2015 Alloy expert model with a full carbon fork, bonded alloy crown race.
    Wish I could help more, specs show the same headset for all models.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Ok I emailed a Specialized store about the lower bearing.
    They tell me I need this part:

Specialized Tarmac SL2 1.5" Lower Intergrated Headset Bearing,52 X 40 X 7MM Thick ACB 45X45
    The part No is S2092000001

The SL2 does have a bonded crown race also.
    I have ordered it so will see if it is correct.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I have a Large Fatboy Se and i want to upgrade for to a carbon fork. I can get one from a medium size bike at low price and i was wondering if the 15mm difference is gonna be ok. The Medium have 120mm headtube lengt and large is 135 mm

Not the fake Jay Leno
    Quote Originally Posted by FreddyBoy View Post
    I have a Large Fatboy Se and i want to upgrade for to a carbon fork. I can get one from a medium size bike at low price and i was wondering if the 15mm difference is gonna be ok. The Medium have 120mm headtube lengt and large is 135 mm
    http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/spe...l#post12468263

mtbr member
    Specialized Fatboy-img_0175.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Twimby View Post
    Tomorrow I will have had the Expert for a year
    Ridden 3000km or so for the year, probably 2000 of those on the Fatboy.
    Lots of beach, sand tracks and general blasting. Don't use it for single track.
    Here is how it went.
    Original hub still going. E13 cranks still good.
    3 broken rear spokes. Tried recently to convert worn tyres to tubeless. Both blew off
    the rim, both ruined.
    Rear brake always gums up to the point of not working and squeals like a banshee. Don't want to upgrade, to much salty work
    Overall very happy
    2 Year Report
    Had the Expert two years today, being one of the first in West Oz
    Still on the original hub. I changed the rear brake to an SLX after breaking more spokes. I figured the wheel was flexing, as I was always applying so much pressure, with the faulty brake. Problem solved
    Just had to change the bottom bracket, still using the E13 crank
    Just changed the freehub body and put a new cassette on
    Recently went split tube tubeless, with the second set of tyres, after the first failed attempt.
    Probably has 4,000km or so worth of use now.
    Lots of beach and sand work, but I don't use it on single track very often
    I also like using it just to cruise around on

Now that I have a Fatty6 Stump Jumper the Fatboy will see little track work

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Specialized Fatboy

Need a bit of help. I have the Samoa crank on my Fatboy. Will this Race Face fit and what will the advantages be? Less weight? Better BB? Thanks

RaceFace Ride fat bike crankset (no bottom bracket)
    This is a new takeoff crankset. designed for 190 and 197 rear spacing with 100mm bottom bracket fat bikes.
    175mm crank arms

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by twentyniner29 View Post
    Need a bit of help. I have the Samoa crank on my Fatboy. Will this Race Face fit and what will the advantages be? Less weight? Better BB? Thanks

RaceFace Ride fat bike crankset (no bottom bracket)
    This is a new takeoff crankset. designed for 190 and 197 rear spacing with 100mm bottom bracket fat bikes.
    175mm crank arms

You can use the 190 but it will be wider and require spacers. Most are using the 170/177mm crank:

http://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/f...oy-941014.html

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/spe...et-939866.html
    Ď19 Fargo Ti
    '17 Cutthroat
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by FreddyBoy View Post
    I have the carbon fork off of my large Fatboy that I'd sell. It's the blue accent. Let me know if you're interested

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    You can use the 190 but it will be wider and require spacers. Most are using the 170/177mm crank:

http://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/f...oy-941014.html

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/spe...et-939866.html
    Thanks! I thought I remembered reading that but couldn't find it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I put a e13 9-44T cassette on my Fatboy today. Shifts as well or better than my X1 cassette, but with similar range to the stock 2X10. It is very light, time will tell how durable it is, but so far I've been pleased with e13 components.

Specialized Fatboy-image.jpg
    Specialized Fatboy-image.jpg
    Ď19 Fargo Ti
    '17 Cutthroat
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I have a 2016 Fatboy Trail and was thinking about getting a set of wheels for the summer. Can you guys give some insight and/or thoughts on what I should do? I figured a set of 29+ or 27.5+ would be fun, but frankly don't know much about different wheels and how those two different sizes would work on this bike. I'm up to any options you guys can suggest.

thanks much

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Fatboy on Special - get 'em before they're gone!
    Specials | Fatboy

wish it was April 1
    Jeep Rubicon Christini AWD 26" FS
    KidzTandem
    S. Fatboy
    Bob Yak w/dog

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    What are the skinniest tires you guys have put on the fatboy rims? Any recommendations for commuting and paved usage? I have seen some pics of Maxxis Hookworm 2.5s on other bikes I'm not sure how those would fit 90mm rims.

Last, not lost.
    Jul 2010
    I'll toss in my 2 cents.

For last summer, I was rolling on Maxxis Mammoths setup Tubeless on the stock rims. They are 4" and have much less rolling resistance than the stock ground control tires.

I would not be going any smaller than that as it really does drop your bottom bracket and increases pedal strike.

I plan on doing the same thing this year.

If I was commuting, I'd get a different bike, personally.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumblefish29er View Post
    What are the skinniest tires you guys have put on the fatboy rims? Any recommendations for commuting and paved usage? I have seen some pics of Maxxis Hookworm 2.5s on other bikes I'm not sure how those would fit 90mm rims.

I've done the hookworms on 65mm large marge rims, but would not use them on a rim wider than that.

I'd say about the skinniest tire you could use on a 90mm rim would be 3.5" - but like one4teen said, that's going to bring the BB down a lot.

If you really want to go skinny for commuting, you have options - you can do 650b+, 29, or 29+

Otherwise, if you are going to stay fat, look at the Surly Knard, Black Floyd, and the Vee Tire Vee8
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    How do you pop the rear axle out? I'd like to replace the bearings after 2+ years of hard use but couldn't get the axle out to do it. fyi I have one from the first production run in '13.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Can someone confirm the rear axle size on a 16 Fatboy SE? Is it a 190x10? thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    yes, 190 quick release!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Anyone make a 190x10 bolt thru hub?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by shift96 View Post
    Anyone make a 190x10 bolt thru hub?
    You can convert the Hope Fatsnos to 190x10 thru
    Ď19 Fargo Ti
    '17 Cutthroat
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Here's my 2016 SE, my first Fatbike and it's been a revelation for me, I'm a large middle aged man and have always had trouble with wheels and seatposts. So far so good with this.

It's used for semi urban commuting and beach cruising, hence the tyres.

Specialized Fatboy-2016-06-12-09.45.41.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog690 View Post
    Here's my 2016 SE, my first Fatbike and it's been a revelation for me, I'm a large middle aged man and have always had trouble with wheels and seatposts. So far so good with this.

It's used for semi urban commuting and beach cruising, hence the tyres.

Name:	2016-06-12 09.45.41.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	320.7 KB 
ID:	1075866
    Lovin the ol' hotrod look with the white walls.
    17 Surly K-Monk
    16 NS Surge

mtbr member
    I purchased this frame from a local dealer and built this one up. I still need to get a few things cleaned up like the hoses and what not. I cant wait to get it on the trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016

New question here. Size for 6'3 guy

Guys, any doubts L is too small for 6'3" height? Sorry to bother you, sure it's best to try, but no shops around have the Fatboy in stock and I'll basically have to drive 60 miles in one direction to try the L and 60 miles in opposite direction to try the XL.

I am riding Camber 29" in XL and I'm happy with it, it's comfy and roomy and I like it that way. But I suppose Fatboy would work better in a bit tighter / more sporty geometry for all those escapes from slide-crashes... What I do not know is if Fatboy's geometry already reflects that or not.

Before Camber, I was riding Scott Strike with G-Zero geometry, size L and it was tighter but it was working fine for me. And from what I've heard, Scotts are generally smaller than average. So I don't know, should I drive to test the XL first, or the L?

Thx!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Lovin the ol' hotrod look with the white walls.
    Cheers, I wasn't sure if I'd like them (looks wise), however they were the cheapest and easiest to order in the UK, I tried them at 20 PSI and the self steering was horrible, so tried them at 30 PSI and they're perfect. Spot on for tarmac.

Quote Originally Posted by oo.viper.oo View Post
    So I don't know, should I drive to test the XL first, or the L?

Thx!
    I'm 6"1' and was unsure, so I got the XL and it's spot on for me, not much (none) stand over space, as in my knackers rest on the top tube. So I'd suggest try the XL first.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Specialized Fatboy

Quote Originally Posted by oo.viper.oo View Post
    Guys, any doubts L is too small for 6'3" height? Sorry to bother you, sure it's best to try, but no shops around have the Fatboy in stock and I'll basically have to drive 60 miles in one direction to try the L and 60 miles in opposite direction to try the XL.

I am riding Camber 29" in XL and I'm happy with it, it's comfy and roomy and I like it that way. But I suppose Fatboy would work better in a bit tighter / more sporty geometry for all those escapes from slide-crashes... What I do not know is if Fatboy's geometry already reflects that or not.

Before Camber, I was riding Scott Strike with G-Zero geometry, size L and it was tighter but it was working fine for me. And from what I've heard, Scotts are generally smaller than average. So I don't know, should I drive to test the XL first, or the L?

Thx!
    Assuming your inseam is something more the 34, I'd probably go with an XL.

I'm your height (35" inseam) and ride a large. The sizing is borderline. I'd probably fit an XL better out of the box. That said I've ridden mine for 2 years and have gotten used to it. I tried a slightly longer stem but the handling in snow and sand was not as good (too much weight forward maybe?).

The geo is based on the Crave which is more stretched out and XC than a camber, so you may find the L to feel a little more like an XL all mountain frame.

Pay attention to standover height and inseam. It's the one thing you can't tweak at all.

mtbr member extraordinair
    At 6-3, Id definitely get the XL. I am 6-1 and have a L, and I had to put a longer stem on it
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I'm 6'2" and ride the alloy framed Fatboy in Large, fits great and I like having the extra stand over in the snow. I tried an Carbon Fatboy in Large though and would definitely go with an XL if I went with a carbon frame.
    Ď19 Fargo Ti
    '17 Cutthroat
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    This is some excellent feedback, thank you guys!

Rumblefish29 made a very valid point with inseam. I measured my again and it's 32". So I guess I'm somewhat short legs, long torso with my 6'3" height. It's something little less than 32 without shoes, so it may be a bit over 32 with shoes. I checked the geometry specs and 32" is exactly the standover height of the L frame, while XL has stand-over height of 33" and I don't think I'd like it.

Heading to test the L first. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    I'm 6'3" and ride a large

Lay back post, riser bars, short stem = weight back and down = good thing for a rigid bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bonesetter2004 View Post
    Lay back post, riser bars, short stem = weight back and down = good thing for a rigid bike
    Exactly my thoughts

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Yee haw! Just cracked the android code too post up on this forum!

I'm way the heck up here by Lake Superior in a town called Marquette. Home of one of the first Snow Bike Routes (trail system) in the U.S.

And I love me some Fatboy!

I aquired my Fb after literally snapping my Moonlander in half..

Ive found the Fb (I have a green one) to be an ideal trail machine for our U.P. trails both summer and winter, and stashed the rest of the quiver for almost two years.

Great machine!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    2015 Fatboy w/carbon forks. Getting a creaking noise from BB area. LBS says not warranty; wear item. $30 to lube, adjust or buy replacement. What's a good upgrade? Didn't ride wet. Got decades of use from old MTB BB but this is a different animal of course.
    Jeep Rubicon Christini AWD 26" FS
    KidzTandem
    S. Fatboy
    Bob Yak w/dog

Not the fake Jay Leno
    Quote Originally Posted by Cromoth View Post
    2015 Fatboy w/carbon forks. Getting a creaking noise from BB area. LBS says not warranty; wear item. $30 to lube, adjust or buy replacement. What's a good upgrade? Didn't ride wet. Got decades of use from old MTB BB but this is a different animal of course.
    If you have the Samox crank and BB, mine lasted about a year. I replaced it with a Wheels Mfg one:
    PF30 Fat Bike Angular Contact BB (Black)

It's not cheap, but will be a lot easier to service. I also purchased 2x each of their 10, 5, 2.5, and 1.8 mm PF30 spacers to get everything to fit properly. I tried to re-use the Samox one, but could not get the right bearing pre-load. You may have to play with which spacers to use. I would also recommend some spare wave springs if you don't have any. My wave spring was toast when I removed the crank the first time.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cromoth View Post

Had similar issue, replaced BB, was good for a while, but returned. The eventually warrantied the cranks as well for RF Turbine (cinch), and it was good for a while, and returned. The replaced the BB with the RaceFace BB and it seems to have resolved the issue.

My LBS has reported that the RF BB has resolved the issue in nearly all cases. I did have to pay for the BB, but didnt have to pay for the cranks (or the hope hub and wheel rebuild) so I'm pretty OK with that.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Hi all, took my Fatboy out for a great beach ride last week. Great adventure at 1' elevation

https://youtu.be/q1HPMW9UlSA

mtbr member
    So I was just walking around my LBS and they had a E Fatboy now. I said what the heck and took it for a spin, it was actually pretty fun, I could only imagine riding in 5 inches of snow with it. price was 5000
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Fatboy-20160831_103656.jpg  

2017 Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hello,

I'd like to put a bluto on my 2017 medium sized aluminum fatboy (new frame design). Does anyone know if the fork will clear the downtube? The frame looks to have mounts for a frame bumper/stop like the carbon fatboy frames, but my LBS says there isn't one available to purchase, and the bumper for the carbon frame doesn't fit my bike. Please offer any insight to this as I don't want to buy a fork that could potentially damage my frame. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Schvizen View Post
    Hello,

I'd like to put a bluto on my 2017 medium sized aluminum fatboy (new frame design). Does anyone know if the fork will clear the downtube? The frame looks to have mounts for a frame bumper/stop like the carbon fatboy frames, but my LBS says there isn't one available to purchase, and the bumper for the carbon frame doesn't fit my bike. Please offer any insight to this as I don't want to buy a fork that could potentially damage my frame. Thanks in advance.
    May not exist, I can tell you with 100% certainty that the bumper from the carbon frame doesn't fit as well as the new epic ht. I don't have a camber one to try for reference. I'd double check that the dealer actually talked to the warranty dept.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHumpal View Post
    May not exist, I can tell you with 100% certainty that the bumper from the carbon frame doesn't fit as well as the new epic ht. I don't have a camber one to try for reference. I'd double check that the dealer actually talked to the warranty dept.
    That's a good point, I'll check for other bikes in the Specialized portfolio that use a bumper. Makes sense that they would try to share a simple part like that rather than design/manufacture a unique part just for the aluminum Fatboy. I'll also double check with another LBS to see if their answer correlates with the first. Thanks for the ideas!

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I just bought a new Specialized Fatboy SE and the rear has a bolt-on axle. Everywhere I look it states that it comes with a quick release axle. Does anyone know if this is correct? Is there an easy way to convert? I dont want to carry a 15mm socket wrench with me when I ride...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by lrodriguezvodak View Post
    I just bought a new Specialized Fatboy SE and the rear has a bolt-on axle. Everywhere I look it states that it comes with a quick release axle. Does anyone know if this is correct? Is there an easy way to convert? I dont want to carry a 15mm socket wrench with me when I ride...
    You bought a 2016

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    On Sale Framed 197mm x 12mm Rear Thru Axle

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    He has a "BMX" threaded axle and nut, not a thru axle.

Not the fake Jay Leno
    i have the initial run of Fatboy SE's that have QR front and rear. Maybe your LBS can swap out the axle. Otherwise, I recommend the Jethro Tule from Surly. Fits right in your seat bag and opens your beer after the ride too! I use it on my SS Pugsley, which I converted to a solid axle, because the QR could not keep the rear wheel from slipping in the horizontal dropouts.

Small Parts | Parts and Accessories | Surly Bikes

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    About 2015 Fatboy cranks. Everything else is now upgraded in my Fatboy (lauf, m8000/m9000, jackalopes+big ride, hope e4 race, carbon bars) but crankset is still original Samox. What is best choice for reasonable price crankset? And will 170mm spindle be ok with big shoes (shimano size UK12)?

Aeffect:
    https://www.raceface.com/products/de...aeffect-cranks

or

Turbine:
    https://www.raceface.com/products/de...e-cinch-cranks

And this is correct bb?
    https://www.raceface.com/products/details/cinch-pf30-bb

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Ready to go!

Update to new -15 Fatboy. Lauf, Slx-brakes, Bontrager Jackalope rims (because of easy tubeless), Dt Swiss 350s big ride rear hub, Renthal carbon bar, XTR shifter, XT rear derailleur, Sunrace 11-cassette, saddle and seatpost were changed too but they are still Specialized. Crankset I'm gonna change in some time but not yet. Weight 13780g.
    Last edited by Tctic; 04-06-2017 at 09:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Just built up a used 2016 frameset with the following, built on strict budget with a lot of parts that came with frame or I had laying around and still came to under 28 pounds very happy with it so far.

- Frame and Fork 2016
    - Wheels: bitex Hubs, Otso rims, tubeless of course with Hope QRs
    - Tires Surly Edna setup tubeless super easy
    - Crank: 170 / 170 Race Face Turbine with blackspire 30t ring
    - Drive Train: X9 shifter, GX 10 speed derailleur, Sunrace 11-42 cassette
    - Race face turbine handlebars and seatpost, generic 60mm stem
    - Koobi saddle old and worn out but was in the parts box still decently comfy

Ill get a picture up soon and ride report once I have some differing terrain miles under the tires, but interested in knowing what others are getting weight wise and what component selection they used for their budget fatboy builds?

EDIT pic added - first ride some quick gravel doubletrack, singletrack soonSpecialized Fatboy-night-pic.jpg
    Last edited by HEMIjer; 11-29-2017 at 06:41 AM. Reason: add pic
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I've been lovin' riding this bike on dirt singletrack (after riding it almost exclusively in snow for the last 2-3 years). I also increased Bluto travel from 80mm to 100mm this year. Love it - would not go back.

2014 Expert ('15?) Black with Red accents - size L
    Bluto (100mm)
    Salsa Front hub
    carbon 1" riser bar
    Thompson alloy seatpost
    Surly Nate 4.0 Rear (summer tire)
    GC 4.6 Front (summer tire)
    Speclzed 2.5 - 3.5 tubes
    XT cassette
    DT Swiss 350 rear hub (stock hub died a few weeks ago)
    XTR clipless pedals
    Ergo grips

Came in at 31.8 lbs.

Recently ordered new wheels - Nextie 90mm double wall carbon tubeless rims (should be good for 4 season riding) laced up to DT Swiss hubs. Can't wait to see how they affect...everything!

As soon as we get some real snow bike will go into winter mode - Bud/Lou tires and flat pedals.

Enjoy the ride!

The only upgrade I'm considering now would be the crank/BB - but don't want to spend $400+. Is there anything under $150-$200 (cranks and BB) worth getting?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Just got a 2018 Fatboy!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    delete
    Last edited by ak-rider; 01-09-2018 at 09:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Specialized Fatboy-e86b8cb9-5237-4bc6-bbc2-fbc06c8cce43.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Nice!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks. It's my first fat bike and I am pretty excited about it. Took it on a trail ride last weekend and it was spectacular. We had about 3" of snow on the ground.

mtbr member
    Well, my Gravity BEM wasn't cutting it anymore. I disliked the weight, the tires weren't great in snow, I had all kinds of chain suck, and then after winter and getting cleaned up the whole drivetrain rusted solid in storage. I was fed up and didn't want to keep putting money into my starter Fat Bike. I test rode a 2018 Fatboy on a whim and what a difference, dare I say it feels better than my regular mountain bike. Also, out of no where, my wife suddenly decided she wanted a fat bike so we started looking around. Last week I ordered a 2018 Fat Boy in black and a old stock 2017 Hellga in gray. I'd say we are well set and I am loving the Fat Boy. Won't look back.
    IMG_2926 by Jordan Schutt, on Flickr

IMG_2937 by Jordan Schutt, on Flickr

IMG_2943 by Jordan Schutt, on Flickr

IMG_2953 by Jordan Schutt, on Flickr
    2010 Specialized Hardrock - Undergoing needed updates.
    2015 Gravity Monster Bullseye
    2015 Cannondale Tango *wife's*

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    The DT Swiss / Nextie carbon wheels took off more than 2 lbs in weight. More than 2.5 probably, actually. But can't say for sure because I never weighed it with bone stock hubs. Only with Salsa fr and DT Swiss rr ( laced into stock rims - and they were close 2.5 lbs less than these, before sealant tho.)

Quote Originally Posted by CObikeman View Post
    I've been lovin' riding this bike on dirt singletrack (after riding it almost exclusively in snow for the last 2-3 years). I also increased Bluto travel from 80mm to 100mm this year. Love it - would not go back.

2014 Expert ('15?) Black with Red accents - size L
    Bluto (100mm)
    Salsa Front hub
    carbon 1" riser bar
    Thompson alloy seatpost
    Surly Nate 4.0 Rear (summer tire)
    GC 4.6 Front (summer tire)
    Speclzed 2.5 - 3.5 tubes
    XT cassette
    DT Swiss 350 rear hub (stock hub died a few weeks ago)
    XTR clipless pedals
    Ergo grips

Came in at 31.8 lbs.

Recently ordered new wheels - Nextie 90mm double wall carbon tubeless rims (should be good for 4 season riding) laced up to DT Swiss hubs. Can't wait to see how they affect...everything!

As soon as we get some real snow bike will go into winter mode - Bud/Lou tires and flat pedals.

Enjoy the ride!

The only upgrade I'm considering now would be the crank/BB - but don't want to spend $400+. Is there anything under $150-$200 (cranks and BB) worth getting?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Cheap Fat boy

Hey people
    Should i get a Fat bike?

Ive been thinking about it for ages but because I'm almost 47 years old i started thinking i would look a bit stupid on a fat bike?

The other day i was sitting in my car when a guy older than me came past me on one and that made my mind up"Go for it"

I had a quick look around and found a 2015 Specialized Fat boy in orange that had been sat at the back of a bike shop since its delivery date and
    Just up the road too i couldn't believe my luck.

So it was brand new and unused i made an offer of £800 with lights and some v8 pedals. They accepted as they wanted it out the way.

Ive added a handle bar bag, Brooks saddle. I got rid of the white in the rims and replaced it with black. Ive been having tons of fun on it.
    I will upgrade the brakes at some point to some XT's and then the cranks and stuff to SRAM GX 1x12

Other stuff i thought of could be Thomson stem,carbon bars, seat post and seat post clamp. I like Thomson stuff.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Fatboy-img_7526.jpg  

Specialized Fatboy-img_7527.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My last fat bike was just like the one you posted. I still have Fatboy but a carbon one. It is a bit racier (mainly a degree or so steeper head angle) so one has to watch the slow rocky descents but on snow, it is perfect. It turns sharply without washing out and navigate those tight uphill and downhill switchbacks tightly. There are some I cannot make easily on my slacker 29er and I do with the Fatboy. It is fun though I do prefer it on snow since I don't like hardtails on anything but smoother dirt. I have ridden it on dirt as well since we have no snow this year and it does well enough. I'll be keeping this bike as a dedicated snow and if I find a Farley on sale at the end of the season, I'll pick one up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
    My last fat bike was just like the one you posted. I still have Fatboy but a carbon one. It is a bit racier (mainly a degree or so steeper head angle) so one has to watch the slow rocky descents but on snow, it is perfect. It turns sharply without washing out and navigate those tight uphill and downhill switchbacks tightly. There are some I cannot make easily on my slacker 29er and I do with the Fatboy. It is fun though I do prefer it on snow since I don't like hardtails on anything but smoother dirt. I have ridden it on dirt as well since we have no snow this year and it does well enough. I'll be keeping this bike as a dedicated snow and if I find a Farley on sale at the end of the season, I'll pick one up.
    Cool!
    Ive now upgraded the following:

Shimano XT M8000 brakes
    Thomson Carbon bar
    Thomson Stem
    Thomson stem cap
    Thomson Seat post
    Thomson seat post clamp

Next week will either be upgrading to SRAM GX Eagle or XT? Not made up my mind as yet lol

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nice. I have only done tubeless and Enve bars but dropper incoming. May do new wheels. I like XT stuff...durable.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

New question here.

FATBOY SE
    FRAMESETS AVAILABLE?
    SWAPPING COMPONENTS FROM SMALL FRAME TO LARGE

2015 to 2015 or 2015 to '16, '17, '18

1. Are Fatboy SE Framesets available?

I didn't see them offered on Specialized's website

2. Can I swap everything off a Small 2015 SE to a 2015 or newer Large frame?

Any issues besides longer cables?

I don't necessarily want a newer frame, I am just willing to take any year I can find. Is there any reason to prefer a newer frame?

I can't find the specs on a 2015. Does anyone know where they can be found?

For a newer frame:
    .The 2015 has 2x chainwheel. Will they fit on a frame that comes standard with 1x?
    . Tire size and hubs OK?

HHL
    Que je suis bete!
    Nov 2004
    Flyer, I agree with pretty much everything you said about the geo of the carbon frame, but I think what you say about the handling on snow also applies to the gillions of miles of loose over hardpack you find from Southern Colorado to Southern California. Yeah, it is not the bike to hit chunky stuff fast, but going up and down loose steeps, railing tight downhill switchbacks with confidence, and controlled climbing going up said switchbacks, it is awesome. The front end stays planted and steers. Yeah, it is primarily a racy snow bike, but when it gets loose, tight and twisty, or for slow work through a little bit of rock, it acquits itself well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by HHL View Post
    Flyer, I agree with pretty much everything you said about the geo of the carbon frame, but I think what you say about the handling on snow also applies to the gillions of miles of loose over hardpack you find from Southern Colorado to Southern California. Yeah, it is not the bike to hit chunky stuff fast, but going up and down loose steeps, railing tight downhill switchbacks with confidence, and controlled climbing going up said switchbacks, it is awesome. The front end stays planted and steers. Yeah, it is primarily a racy snow bike, but when it gets loose, tight and twisty, or for slow work through a little bit of rock, it acquits itself well.
    Iíve just been offered a 2016 Fatboy comp carbon in red. Anyone got one with some images? Are you happy with it and will I notice much difference from my alloy Fatboy?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Joined Team Fatboy

At 41 I'm sort of jumping back in to the MTB scene. I haven't really rode since my mid 20's though lol. After a bit of research the last couple of months it just seemed the fatbike fit the bill for what I was looking for.

I went back and forth between the Farley and Fatboy but the Trek dealership didn't really want to work off of the MSRP. I was able Picked up the 18' Fatboy($1800msrp one) for $1440 at my LBS. At this point it was a easy decision.

Can't wait to ride!

Specialized Fatboy-jkb_0801.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rebnah View Post
    Iíve just been offered a 2016 Fatboy comp carbon in red. Anyone got one with some images? Are you happy with it and will I notice much difference from my alloy Fatboy?
    I have a 2018 Carbon Comp. Rides much nicer than the Alloy Fatboy I had.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    That looks nice in that colour

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have the same color- that bright red Comp Carbon...great color. I am usually not a fan of red. I had an alloy Fatboy before this. I am very happy with it. It is lighter than my alloy one by ~4 lbs and the lower weight is evident when climbing though the wheels weight the same. I also prefer the feel of a carbon frame over alloy. In my opinion, you will notice the same differences I do...definitely the weight and most likely the "quieter" feel. I am extremely happy I got it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I have the same color- that bright red Comp Carbon...great color. I am usually not a fan of red. I had an alloy Fatboy before this. I am very happy with it. It is lighter than my alloy one by ~4 lbs and the lower weight is evident when climbing though the wheels weight the same. I also prefer the feel of a carbon frame over alloy. In my opinion, you will notice the same differences I do...definitely the weight and most likely the "quieter" feel. I am extremely happy I got it.
    Cool got any images?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HHL View Post
    Yeah, I like it for a snow bike (and I only ride it in the winter) and it works well. It washes out less than a slacker fat bike but a really good front tire and some weight forward can mitigate that I guess. The only time I have to be careful is in chunky stuff (mostly flatter section) when there is no snow. The steeper head angle necessitates more careful riding if you are used to a slacker head angle on the regular trail bike. It's fine though...I am used to it now and it is an absolute blast on snow.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I know this is the Fatboy thread and I already have one. What would you choose between a Fatboy comp carbon or a 2016 Scott scale 700 RC? I like them both but finding it hard to decide

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'll try again later. As usual, Photobucket sucks so I cant post pics.

mtbr member
    I changed to Flickr and it works great.

Still loving our Fatboy and Hellga, It's completely re-energized my excitement for cycling.

IMG_2943 by Jordan Schutt, on Flickr

IMG_2953 by Jordan Schutt, on Flickr

IMG_2978 by Jordan Schutt, on Flickr

IMG_3030 by Jordan Schutt, on Flickr

I added some Raceface Atlas Pedals in blue, Raceface Atlas 50mm Stem in Blue, Raceface Atlas 780mm handlebar in Green, and Raceface Atlas lockons in blue. My wife was having a lot of trouble on our first snow ride with her pedals icing up so I picked up a set of Crank Brothers Stamp 2's to solve that.
    2010 Specialized Hardrock - Undergoing needed updates.
    2015 Gravity Monster Bullseye
    2015 Cannondale Tango *wife's*

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hope this works. Sorry for the link. Still need to figure out Flickr. Since this, I have added ENVE carbon DH bars (to get a rise) put on tubeless new tires (Bud front and Terenne Wazia rear) a new Thomson 70mm/10 stem, some small frame bags, and clipless pedals. I only use flats once the snow gets deeper...don't generally like them though I have some nice Deity ones I picked up for when we get real snow.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4662/...fa2916e7_b.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Hope this works. Sorry for the link. Still need to figure out Flickr. Since this, I have added ENVE carbon DH bars (to get a rise) put on tubeless new tires (Bud front and Terenne Wazia rear) a new Thomson 70mm/10 stem, some small frame bags, and clipless pedals. I only use flats once the snow gets deeper...don't generally like them though I have some nice Deity ones I picked up for when we get real snow.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4662/...fa2916e7_b.jpg
    Looks really nice mate👍🏻
    Iíve bit the bullet today and brought the last one in the UK from Specialized. Got an amazing price of just £1400.
    Iíve got some Thomson carbon bars, Thomson stem, seat post and clamp ready to go on it when it arrives.
    Iím going to add Shimano XTR M9000 brakes and Sram Eagle.
    Will be a stonker!

mtbr member

2018 fatboy alloy base 28 lbs all stock except tires and tubes

Looks really nice mate
    Iíve bit the bullet today and brought the last one in the UK from Specialized. Got an amazing price of just £1400.
    Iíve got some Thomson carbon bars, Thomson stem, seat post and clamp ready to go on it when it arrives.
    Iím going to add Shimano XTR M9000 brakes and Sram Eagle.
    Will be a stonker!
    My new $1499.00 (sale price) 2018 fatboy base medium with m5 aluminum frame and carbon fork only weighs a little over 28 lbs. all stock except for bottle cage ,schwalbe jumbo jim (liteskin) 26 x 4.8's and lighter schwalbe tubes. all reflectors ,rim stout decals and cage bolts were removed. this new bike for 2018 has been mostly ignored by bike magazines and online reviews but with its many factory upgrades from last year it is a lot of bang for the buck !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Fatboy-img_7294.jpg  

Specialized Fatboy-img_7286.jpg  

Specialized Fatboy-img_7288.jpg  

Specialized Fatboy-img_7296.jpg  

Last edited by BIGFAT29; 03-09-2018 at 02:19 PM. Reason: size medium

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGFAT29 View Post
    My new $1499.00 (sale price) 2018 fatboy base medium with m5 aluminum frame and carbon fork only weighs a little over 28 lbs. all stock except for bottle cage ,schwalbe jumbo jim (liteskin) 26 x 4.8's and lighter schwalbe tubes. all reflectors ,rim stout decals and cage bolts were removed. this new bike for 2018 has been mostly ignored by bike magazines and online reviews but with its many factory upgrades from last year it is a lot of bang for the buck !
    Looks great!
    Mine has gone now and I've finished a completely new MTB build instead.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Hey people
    Should i get a Fat bike?

Ive been thinking about it for ages but because I'm almost 47 years old i started thinking i would look a bit stupid on a fat bike?

The other day i was sitting in my car when a guy older than me came past me on one and that made my mind up"Go for it"

I had a quick look around and found a 2015 Specialized Fat boy in orange that had been sat at the back of a bike shop since its delivery date and
    Just up the road too i couldn't believe my luck.

So it was brand new and unused i made an offer of £800 with lights and some v8 pedals. They accepted as they wanted it out the way.

Ive added a handle bar bag, Brooks saddle. I got rid of the white in the rims and replaced it with black. Ive been having tons of fun on it.
    I will upgrade the brakes at some point to some XT's and then the cranks and stuff to SRAM GX 1x12

Other stuff i thought of could be Thomson stem,carbon bars, seat post and seat post clamp. I like Thomson stuff.
    Love the orange. Such a cool color!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by StaticSag View Post
    Love the orange. Such a cool color!

I agree. That was my first choice but I couldn't find the orange in medium. I almost wasn't going to buy the black but again at the price I got it for put me over. A couple months later and I have to say the gloss black has really grown on me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Fatboy-20180209_161938.jpg  

2018 Gloss Black Specialized Fatboy

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Sog View Post
    I agree. That was my first choice but I couldn't find the orange in medium. I almost wasn't going to buy the black but again at the price I got it for put me over. A couple months later and I have to say the gloss black has really grown on me.
    Most of my bikes are black. Thereís no fleas on your bike; love that one too!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schvizen View Post
    Hello,

It does exist and I have one for sale if anyone needs it for$10+shipping. I cracked my Alum 17 Fatboy and uppgraded to carbon comp.
    Specialized Fatboy-20171119_141557.jpgrSpecialized Fatboy-20171119_141547.jpg
    Last edited by Blaster182; 03-14-2018 at 10:54 PM.
    :thumbsup: Gotta Ride Fat !!! :ihih:

mtbr member
    BIGFAT29 - Same frame as 17 fatboy, mine cracked at botom bracket/chainstay weld on drive side. This frame has a lot of flex if ya stomp on it. Keep an eye on it. Specialized Fatboy-20171216_135123.jpg

mtbr member
    Thanks for the heads up blaster182.now Im a little worried as Im not skinny. I weigh about 200 pounds.when your frame cracked what was your weight ? Im a old guy and dont ride hardcore anymore. maybe if I stop all the wheelies my frame will last .

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hi I hope I have the right thread.
    I have the 2014 model with a blown free hub.
    Behind all 3 pawls there has been metal broken off the freehub body.
    Does anyone know if I can replace the freehub with a freehub with more pawls or a stronger version.
    Iím 100kg and the freehub broke when I was bikepacking.

Cheers

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by BIGFAT29 View Post
    Thanks for the heads up blaster182.now Im a little worried as Im not skinny. I weigh about 200 pounds.when your frame cracked what was your weight ? Im a old guy and dont ride hardcore anymore. maybe if I stop all the wheelies my frame will last .
    I weigh 185, I am sure this is not a widespread problem, I think it was just an unfortunate manufacturing defect. I do ride my bike hard, on rooty, Rocky trails. I mearly want people to be aware of my issue, and just keep an eye out with periodic inspections, so you don't get caught getting stuck or hurt on trails.
    Be safe and have fun with your Fatboy,. Did not stop me from getting another one. Love my bike!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by saron View Post
    Hi I hope I have the right thread.
    I have the 2014 model with a blown free hub.
    Behind all 3 pawls there has been metal broken off the freehub body.
    Does anyone know if I can replace the freehub with a freehub with more pawls or a stronger version.
    Iím 100kg and the freehub broke when I was bikepacking.

Cheers
    Specialized has had issues with the rear hubs. If you still have your bill of sale, I would recommend returning rear wheel to specialized dealer. They are fantastic with warranty's. They replaced mine with a HOPE fatsno hub and paid for wheel relacing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I just picked my nine-year-old son up a 24" Fatboy brand new for $500. It's going to be a surprise so I didn't size him on it. With doing a little research it seems like we should be good for a couple years anyways. He's 4'6" right now.

Besides once he's too big for the 24" then I'll give him my medium fatboy. Then Daddy gets a full carbon 😁

mtbr member
    Sweet!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Nice bike 

Can't wait to give it to him!

Specialized Fatboy-2018-09-08_12-10-12.jpg

mtbr member

Good job!

Nice bike 

Can't wait to give it to him!

Name:	2018-09-08_12-10-12.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	239.5 KB 
ID:	1215605
    Great when you can get your kids into what you love.
    I did the same for my kid when he was really young.
    Always made it fun and rode together a lot, on as many trails as we could find. He is now 19 and I now have the greatest riding buddy I could have ever have wished for. Always wants to go at a moment's notice. Anywhere, anytime. Night riding is the best!
    Enjoy the ride!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster182 View Post
    Great when you can get your kids into what you love.
    I did the same for my kid when he was really young.
    Always made it fun and rode together a lot, on as many trails as we could find. He is now 19 and I now have the greatest riding buddy I could have ever have wished for. Always wants to go at a moment's notice. Anywhere, anytime. Night riding is the best!
    Enjoy the ride!!!!
    Yes! I'm excited and hoping this is the case!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    My lbs has the new 2019 carbon in and it looks pretty slick.

I don't see it on Specialized website. I did find one photo online but the photo doesn't do the bike justice. It looks great in person.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Last week I was a few hours away from home attending meetings for work. I had been there for a couple of days and noticed a bike shop not far from where my meetings were at, so I stopped in over lunch one day. In a forgotten, dusty corner I found this guy marked down on clearance. It was just my size so I took it on an extensive test ride.

Since I didnít have my bike rack with me and I carpooled with co-workers I had no way to get this bad boy home so I put it on lay away. Now I just need to plan a trip back in the next week or two and bring it home!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Fatboy-2016-specialized-fatboy-trail.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    My lbs has the new 2019 carbon in and it looks pretty slick.

I don't see it on Specialized website. I did find one photo online but the photo doesn't do the bike justice. It looks great in person.
    I rode the 2019 Fatboy Comp Carbon today. I was going to another shop to buy a Ice Cream Truck and stopped at another shop to see what they had to offer. After riding the Fatboy Comp Carbon, I passed on the ICT and will most likely buy the Fatboy. My shoe rubbed on the crank of the 2019 ICT when peddling much like my shoe rubbing on the chain stay of the Mukluk (2017 i think). Didn't have the problem with the last years ICT. The crank is different on the new ICT.

The Fatboy Comp Carbon is a bit over my budget but I think I will have to make it work as its the first bike I have rode that I wont have to make changes to get it to my liking. I will still do some more shopping to make sure though.

mtbr member
    You will love it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I've had my Fatboy Comp Carbon since April. It was a new 2017 model leftover that I bought at a huge discount. Given how much of a discount it was, I upgraded it:

• TRP four piston brakes
    • Shimano XT shifter/derailleur
    • 32T Raceface front sprocket
    • 11-46T Sunrace cassette
    • 45mm steering stem
    • SKAMP pedals
    • Contour GL Gel saddle
    • Dura Fleetwood 26x4.00 semi-slick tires (I ride on the street 99% of the time)
    • Ergon cork grips
    • Oi bell
    • Specialized frame bag (smallest one)
    • OTTOlock bicycle lock
    • Bontrager Ion front and rear lights (and yes, I ride on the street: I kept the wheel reflectors)
    • Garmin Edge 25

All up and ready to ride, it weighs 28.3 lbs.

This is how it looks today, 1800 miles later:

I love riding this bicycle.

G

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have a 2015 Carbon Comp Fatboy. Can someone tell me what I need , headset wise, to put a Bluto on it? The Bluto is on my wife's ICT. I'd like to try it out on the Fatboy.

mtbr member
    My wife has been complaining our Moonlanders are too heavy.....(I had been eyeing the Comp Carbons for the last couple years so this was the green light)

So I stopped by my LBS just to have a look around being they were having a sale.

Wish they sold the 2019 comp carbons in a couple colors.

Ended up ordering a Gray 2019 comp carbon and a neon 2018 comp carbon.
    Moonlander's
    Sandman Hogger Ti

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by aminkman View Post
    I have a 2015 Carbon Comp Fatboy. Can someone tell me what I need , headset wise, to put a Bluto on it? The Bluto is on my wife's ICT. I'd like to try it out on the Fatboy.
    The specs on my 2016 Fatboy Trail that came with a Bluto: HEADSET 1-1/8" upper, 1-1/2" lower, threadless, Campy style, cartridge bearings

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    2015 Aluminum Fatboy ... swapping the Samox crankset out for a RF Turbine (170mm width). 2 questions (and feel free to point me to a link if it's been answered): First, if I use the RF PF30 BB, what spindle spacer configuration is needed? I think it's 1.5mm on the non-drive side and 4mm (1.5mm + 2.5mm) on the drive side (per the RF q-factor chart). Sound right? Second, can I just use the stock PF30 BB? It's not crunchy or creaky. If so, what spacers would I need? And lastly, I also have a Wheels Mfg. PF30 BB (PF30-FAT-BB) that I can use. Does anyone know the spacer configuration if I were to use that one? Thanks .. just want to have the necessary spacers before I pull the old POS Samox crankset off.

Tom

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Fatty

Saw a photo of a Fatbike a few years ago. Had a specalized store in my town. Popped and and saw the beast 2016 se... agreed to buy her at once.
    After 2 years of on/off riding (I mainly used her for snow and muddy woods) I acquired a Bluto fork. I am amazed at the difference this makes. Since I had it fitted I hardly rode my full suspension bike and clocked up so many miles on the fatty.
    Not really changed anything but the saddle, grips and the fork. One word sums up the experience of riding her... fun. I go from sand to woods to gravel with no problems. Love it!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Beach Fatty

I loved riding her on snow. Then one day we went to the beach as people were going home.. Jumping over and through kids sandcastles, blasting next to the shore and leaving great tracks to a soundtrack of ďlook at the size of those wheelsĒ from everyone I passed. You know the story.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    ...m
    Last edited by Joshi; 04-25-2019 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Delete

mtbr member
    May 2008
    It's bottomed out and crooked. I'd say it's time for a new arm

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Either a new arm, if you can get one. or a complete new crank.
    https://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/fa...s-1046126.html
    Race Face Aeffect seems to be the go to

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Thanks guys. I dropped it off at a bike shop... they says they can hexi-coilmthe peddle back in. The arm is fine the threads are just shot. They seem quite confident it will be fine. They are very good at fixing things here. If that fails I will get a new crank. Iím lucky I can ride my bad habit while fatty is away.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Broken

As you said it is dead.
    Last edited by Joshi; 04-25-2019 at 09:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Mozfat sorry to be a pain but PLEASE can you send me a link to a crank or arm that will fit from a shop or eBay.co.uk. I really struggling here. Thanks j

Not the fake Jay Leno
    If you can find a used Stout fatbike crank on eBay, that would be the cheapest and easiest option. The crank is made by Samox. I have the previous model year Samox branded crank. If you can find one of those, it would work as well. The previous year was a 2x crank, but you could mount a 104 bcd 30t chainring on it and run it as a 1x. If it were my bike, Iíd go with the Raceface turbine crank. You have a PF30 bottom bracket and 100mm spindle. The Raceface Aeffect crank has a 24 mm spindle. You could probably make the Aeffect work, but you would need an adapter, since PF30 BB shell is made for a 30 mm spindle. Iíd find a bike shop. If you go with one of the Raceface cranks, this will require some tools to pound out the old BB, install the new one, and get everything set up with the correct bearing pre-load. I wish Spesh had just installed a threaded BB. There would be a lot more options for replacement or upgraded cranks. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Thanks Chinman. After much discussion Specalized have agreed to sell me the same crank currently fitted at a reduced price. To be fair to them once I contacted the customer service guys in London by phone things moved along much faster then by email.
    Where I live there is not many bike shops. No parts. Itís a small island. Hence why I had to make sure it was a direct replacement crank.
    I know the Specalized will fit as it the same thatís on.
    To give you an idea of what Iím dealing with I went to a bike shop here after a 2 hour drive as they were meant to be the best on the island....they recommended we wield the peddle onto the crank!!!???
    My friend comes out next week with a crank in his luggage. Sorted.
    Thanks again for the reply. To be honest I was hoping/expecting a little more help from the members here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Kinda curious. How small an island is it if you can drive 2 hours?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Itís quite simple really, when there is no real motorway and you are driving on small lanes it takes a long time to get anywhere. When the bike shop is on the other side of a mountain that you have to drive round on aforementioned lanes takes a while. When you get there and they want to wield a steel peddle to an alloy crank itís not great. Hence why I was so desperate for help on here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I just picked up this 2016 Fatboy. It's hardly been ridden, nubs still on the tires. I got it for less than half of a new one, so I couldn't pass it up. I think I'm going to buy some wrathchilds for it. Bring on the snow!

Specialized Fatboy-img_1496.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Hello. How much Fatboy Carbon frameset M weight? Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sadness View Post
    Hello. How much Fatboy Carbon frameset M weight? Thanks
    I've never torn mine down but it's pretty easy to get a 24# (10.88 kg) build.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    My first fat bike is a 2015 Specialized Fatboy Base and just bought an Otso Voytek...just suits my riding style....groomed trails, iced lakes here in Minnesota.

Now wondering if I should keep the Fatboy or sell it. I have a real soft spot for it. It's all original except for some Raceface Chester pedals, Dillinger 5s for winter riding and the usual wear and tear replacements (newer chain, cassette, etc.)

Have any of you bought a new Fat Bike and kept your Fatboy? What's been your experience?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aminkman View Post
    I've never torn mine down but it's pretty easy to get a 24# (10.88 kg) build.
    Just picked up a '19 Carbon Comp (medium). Looking at getting a carbon bar and seatpost. 24# would be pretty impressive, but I'm assuming some wheel updates would be in order to make that happen .. ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Couple questions. I know it's in this thread but my phone is a PITA.
    1. I want to do a cheap 1x on my Fatboy. Can I just put a 30T narrow wide ring on and call it good?
    2. I want to stud my Ground Controls. Can I put screws in the tires from the backside and still run tubes. What length screw?
    3. Do they make camo rim strips or can I use camo duct tape.
    4. I have fork and wheels off my Stache to run in Summer. What size rear hub will need to be used. Any cheap recommendations?
    Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234