Specialized Fatboy 20" and 24" Kids Fatbikes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Specialized Fatboy 20" and 24" Kids Fatbikes

All the fun of a fat bike with the performance of a Specialized for youngsters. The Fatboy 20" and 24" combine a lightweight frame and fork with 4.0" Ground Control tires to tackle any terrain in all conditions.

Specialized Fatboy 20" and 24" Kids Fatbikes-20-1.jpgSpecialized Fatboy 20" and 24" Kids Fatbikes-20-2.jpgSpecialized Fatboy 20" and 24" Kids Fatbikes-20-3.jpgSpecialized Fatboy 20" and 24" Kids Fatbikes-20-4.jpgSpecialized Fatboy 20" and 24" Kids Fatbikes-24-1.jpgSpecialized Fatboy 20" and 24" Kids Fatbikes-24-2.jpgSpecialized Fatboy 20" and 24" Kids Fatbikes-24-3.jpgSpecialized Fatboy 20" and 24" Kids Fatbikes-24-4.jpg
    Current bikes:
    2018 Trek Top Fuel 9.8 SL
    2018 Trek Farley 7
    2015 Framed Alaskan Carbon
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2

mtbr member
    Christmas just got real expensive.

mtbr member
    I was just thinking the same thing. I've been looking at a 24" Framed Mini-Sota 2.0 but it's too big for my 6 year old. But a 20" Specialized Fatboy would do the trick.
    Current bikes:
    2018 Trek Farley 7
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Nice to see they kept the girls in mind
    SR Suntour

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Any pricing ? I have a framed mini sota on order for my son.

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk
    2014 Devinci Carbon Troy Xp
    2015 Mongoose Vinson Fat bike

mtbr member
    Haven't been able to find any pricing on them yet. These pictures were posted on the Specialized Canada Facebook page.
    Current bikes:
    2018 Trek Farley 7
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    They have a women's specific Fatboy dropping as well. (Helga I believe it will be called)

mtbr member
    Canadian Pricing
    Fatboy 20": $1229.00, Fatboy 24": $1259.00, Fatboy SE: $1779.00
    Current bikes:
    2018 Trek Farley 7
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2

mtbr member
    Sweet!!!
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2019 Salsa Journeyman Apex 650B
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Well thanks I m sure they are nice but he will be on the 24" for maybe 2 seasons he is 10 and already riding 26 normal mtb so I will stick with the Framed mini sota

mtbr member
    O Canada! Our home and native land!
    True patriot love in all thy sons command,

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Stump 29 View Post
    O Canada! Our home and native land!
    True patriot love in all thy sons command,
    Davinci needs to get in on this fat bike thing. Then you can sing the Canadian anthem!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawidan View Post
    Canadian Pricing
    Im not a cheap person, but that just isnt an appealling price point for a bike that my kids will quickly outgrow.
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Niner RLT9

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fat_tires_are_fun View Post
    Im not a cheap person, but that just isnt an appealling price point for a bike that my kids will quickly outgrow.
    My thoughts exactly!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I couldn't agree more. My guess is that they are targeting the super rich though because most parents will just get a cheap walmart bike for their kids anyway.
    Last edited by Max24; 03-02-2015 at 05:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I put in an order from my LBS for a 24" one for my son. My LBS is extremely good to me and is giving me a good deal as this is a "place a phone call and I pick it up" deal. If my son gets two years out of it then great, then I'll sell it for 1/2 of what I paid and my son and I got a couple of winters of fat biking fun for a few hundred dollars. Or maybe I can coax my daughter onto it for a couple of bonus years.

LBS told me that Specialized is targeting December 15th delivery for Canada.

mtbr member
    Yeah that is quite a jump from the 20" specialized my daughter is currently on.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    ha, leave it to Specialized to try and milk an idea for all it's worth.

mtbr member
    I was existed until I saw this! I guess I'm cheap!

Canadian Pricing
    Now all I want are the 20" mini ground control tires to put them on a Wallgoose Massif!

mtbr member
    This at $600 is a way better deal.

Framed Mini-Sota 2.0

Framed Mini-Sota Fat Bike - Kids, Youth 2015
    Current bikes:
    2018 Trek Farley 7
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I agree ordered the mini sota for my son .

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    It is expensive, but looks really well done. I am waiting to hear details. The Mini-Sota looks like the right price but I wonder about the gearing. I struggle with a 32 front ring with a 36 on the back. The Mini only has a 34. I am not sure how this related to a 24" wheel though. Anyone have thoughts on if the gearing will be low enough?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm amazed at how parents react when I show them the 24" Cannondale on the floor for $379. This thing is laughable. It's cool looking, and my son would LOVE it, but $1229 for a kids bike? You're outta your damn mind.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Er, welcome to the world of nice kids bike pricing. I can show you quite a few other kids 20" bikes for $1,000. This is not outlandish for what it is.

Example:

Spawn Cycles Savage 2.0 | Spawn Cycles - Born to Ride

...as said earlier in thus thread, someone can buy this, ride it for two years, and sell it for $5-600. These aren't going to be flooding the market, and there will be a demand for used ones... a good example of this from Specialized is look what used Grom Hits sell for.

mtbr member
    for european parents: Caribou Jnr | Genesis Bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raidthefridgeguy View Post
    It is expensive, but looks really well done. I am waiting to hear details. The Mini-Sota looks like the right price but I wonder about the gearing. I struggle with a 32 front ring with a 36 on the back. The Mini only has a 34. I am not sure how this related to a 24" wheel though. Anyone have thoughts on if the gearing will be low enough?
    My thoughts are that it will not be low enough gearing. My son who is 11 years old stays in the granny gear all the time and uses most of the cassette. And that is on dry ground with a 26" lightweight mountain bike with 2.35" tires.

Why don't we see more 1X setups using the granny gear?

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    How fast can Framed get a 20 incher on the market? Their $600 24" mini-sota is a great value. Over a grand on a 20 incher that my kid will ride for a couple of seasons is pretty steep. You might be able to reap half of that on a trade in or used sale. If Framed or someone else could get something out at the well under $1000 price point, it will kill the Specy....or bring their price way down.
    Roll over the weak and bunny hop the dead!

Blog this...!

El Paso Puzzler 35 or 50 miler

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 69tr6r View Post
    My thoughts are that it will not be low enough gearing. My son who is 11 years old stays in the granny gear all the time and uses most of the cassette. And that is on dry ground with a 26" lightweight mountain bike with 2.35" tires.

Why don't we see more 1X setups using the granny gear?
    My son is 10 stays in his 36 big ring and i have a hard time keeping up with him , So no worries for me on Mini Sota . Each kid is different . My kid i cant keep off his bike , 26"

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    My thought was that some people will at least have a better tire choice for their Mongoose Massif...

mtbr member

Specialized Fatboy 20" and 24" Kids Fatbikes

Quote Originally Posted by BATRG3 View Post
    My thought was that some people will at least have a better tire choice for their Mongoose Massif...
    That is a good call. I think the weight of the stock tires is a big chunk of overall load. My daughter would love one of these and I would love to have her on more rides. However her maint and responsibility is not up to 1000 buck standards.

The scool bikes from Eurobike will also be stateside soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I do wonder if the full 4" fat is too much for smaller people, particularly for the q-factor it will drive. I would think a 20x3" would be a good fat counterpart to 20" MTB.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BATRG3 View Post
    I do wonder if the full 4" fat is too much for smaller people, particularly for the q-factor it will drive. I would think a 20x3" would be a good fat counterpart to 20" MTB.
    This! I was wondering why it wasn't brought up before. Unless there is something about 20" wheels and shorter cranks that I'm not aware of that let's them tuck in the chain line, the Q factor must be horrible.

Like. I'm 6 foot and the Q factor of the Pugsley doesn't bother me, but shorten my legs down a bit and for sure it would.

I also agree about tire size. Although maybe the 6-8 year old who has immense discipline with constant spinning will reap the rewards of having massive snow floatation equivalent to, say, an 8 inch tire on an adult bike.

For me, if I had one for my kid, we'd use it more like a monster truck on dry single track. And the beach twice a year. It would give a lot more balance. But...I'd rather him learn to tough it out on 2" tires.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Bet it weighs more than my 6inch travel Lenz Lunchbox. Perfect for a kid.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    This! I was wondering why it wasn't brought up before. Unless there is something about 20" wheels and shorter cranks that I'm not aware of that let's them tuck in the chain line, the Q factor must be horrible.

Like. I'm 6 foot and the Q factor of the Pugsley doesn't bother me, but shorten my legs down a bit and for sure it would.

I also agree about tire size. Although maybe the 6-8 year old who has immense discipline with constant spinning will reap the rewards of having massive snow floatation equivalent to, say, an 8 inch tire on an adult bike.

For me, if I had one for my kid, we'd use it more like a monster truck on dry single track. And the beach twice a year. It would give a lot more balance. But...I'd rather him learn to tough it out on 2" tires.
    Yep...good points. This is likely more of a novelty for kids.....certainly not an everyday option for a kid who rides a lot. I have a 6 and 8 year old, and we frequently do 10+ mile rides on mild trails. The only purpose this bike would serve in that equation would be to slow them down.
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Niner RLT9

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Between the q factor, the weight and not low enough gearing, I can't see most kids slugging out much of a ride on these. It seems someone at the big S neglected to have their target market do some real world testing.

At least they didn't slap a Bluto on it.

mtbr member
    Yep...good points. This is likely more of a novelty for kids.....certainly not an everyday option for a kid who rides a lot. I have a 6 and 8 year old, and we frequently do 10+ mile rides on mild trails. The only purpose this bike would serve in that equation would be to slow them down.
    I dont think it would be a novelty. For 6-7 months a year, fat bikes are the only way we can ride here. My youngest has been wishing for one his size since before On One came out with theirs. I was tempted back then, but didn't act. And im glad because he would have outgrown it already. Price per mile of use is the only thing that makes it difficult to rationalize for me. Going a bit slower in the summer doesnt bother me. Compared to those cheap suspension forks used on kids bikes, I actually think 4" tires make a lot of sense for trail riding, too. I think it would be nice to see these adopted as the defacto kids montain bike format in the future, to the point where they become reasonably affordable. Maybe it will be more feasible by the time I have grandkids.
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iamkeith View Post
    Going a bit slower in the summer doesnt bother me. Compared to those cheap suspension forks used on kids bikes, I actually think 4" tires make a lot of sense for trail riding, too. I think it would be nice to see these adopted as the defacto kids montain bike format in the future, to the point where they become reasonably affordable. Maybe it will be more feasible by the time I have grandkids.
    Really? One thing I have noticed riding with kids is that bike weight is ultra important. You have got kids well under 100lbs riding bikes that weigh 30lbs...not fun or a good idea in my opinion. I am far From a weight weenie, but it is super important for kids.
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Niner RLT9

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by iamkeith View Post
    I dont think it would be a novelty. For 6-7 months a year, fat bikes are the only way we can ride here. My youngest has been wishing for one his size since before On One came out with theirs. I was tempted back then, but didn't act. And im glad because he would have outgrown it already. Price per mile of use is the only thing that makes it difficult to rationalize for me. Going a bit slower in the summer doesnt bother me. Compared to those cheap suspension forks used on kids bikes, I actually think 4" tires make a lot of sense for trail riding, too. I think it would be nice to see these adopted as the defacto kids montain bike format in the future, to the point where they become reasonably affordable. Maybe it will be more feasible by the time I have grandkids.
    You can get a nice 24 with a real Airfork for $500.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Really? One thing I have noticed riding with kids is that bike weight is ultra important. You have got kids well under 100lbs riding bikes that weigh 30lbs...not fun or a good idea in my opinion. I am far From a weight weenie, but it is super important for kids.
    I was speaking more about the 4" tires, and whatever effect they might have on speed. I totally agree with you on the weight part (also not being a weight weeny myself.)

But that's sort of my point, too: Why not dispense with the gee-whiz crap like fake elastomer forks, and wasting money on tooling for new hydro-formed frame designs every other year, that attempt to look like Dad's modern full-suspension rig - and instead concentrate on making kid's bikes functional and light and pragmatic... and repetitious. I think it's just a matter of volume. If fat bikes became the "norm" for off-road bikes for kids, and they sold more, couldn't we expect lighter frames and good quality, supple tires at a reasonable price?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    That's good to know. And it makes buying one of these kid's fat bikes seem even less rational. But certainly this is because of volume. Give the choice and similar price and quality points though, if I had to have ONE good bike for my kid, it would still be fat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Got a link for that? Sounds interesting.

Chad

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad_M View Post
    Got a link for that? Sounds interesting.

Chad
    Cannondale Race 24.

Got one for my daughter and added disc brakes.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I think these are great! My 9 y/o daughter has been wanting a kids fat bike since I bought my first fatty 4 years ago. I bought a Specialized Fatboy this year and cannot believe how much better of a ride it is than a lot of the other fatties out there. I think for the right kid, this will be a great bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    so the min sota has a rake like a chopper and the specialized has a more up and down rake... i wonder on the performance side of things is that min sota as goofy to ride as its rake???
    I wonder this cause i love how my adult fatboy has a up and over the bars turn on a dime feel... the min sotas rake seems to not look to be good for turning? is this less of an issue with a 9 year old riding ?
    Last edited by dougy250; 12-01-2014 at 07:23 PM. Reason: not finished

fc
    head minion Administrator
    <iframe width="500" height="281" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sW1q8nObJkU?rel=0&amp;controls=0&amp;showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

video
    IPA will save America

RAKC
    omg those price tags are insane!!!! But just like buying a chevy vs cadillac. Same damn thing except few more bells and whistles and a fancy emblem, fake wood and chrome trim. for 2x the price.

More clear:

Ford and Lincoln
    Nissan and Infinity
    Toyota and Lexus
    Dodge and Chrysler

Same thing, looks fancy, extra tid bits, "Premium Brand Name" but mechanical function is very much the same.

Only Specialized (and the price tag with only half assed thought out set up and design)

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    <iframe width="500" height="281" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sW1q8nObJkU?rel=0&controls=0&showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

video
    Fun video, but the boy riding it is" Julien Markewitz, 4th grader, wins National Downhill Mountain Bike Champion Title- 10 & under on August 4! Congratulations, Julien!!"

So hmm he's in a different class. I still say give that heavy monster truck to an average child and they be walking a lot of hills. Notice that video was pretty much all downhill.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Do you spend a lot of time watching mountain bike videos where they mostly ride uphill?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Welnic View Post
    Do you spend a lot of time watching mountain bike videos where they mostly ride uphill?
    Nope, how many parents that buy this are buying it for shuttling only? So point still stands, heavy kids bike without the gearing to get them up the hill.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    For pure winter riding these will be fine. Where I ride in AK, you cannot ride a traditional MTB in the winter. Period. Steep hill climbing is limited on any bike in the snow due to traction, so you end up walking up a lot of steep ones anyway. It will be worth every penny for my daughter to be able to ride with me in the winter(which is the longest season we have). I don't think these were meant to be a kids only bike, but a second bike making it possible for the kiddos to ride year round with Mom and Dad. $1000 for that many more rides a year with my kid seems like money well spent!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Most kids small enough to ride a 24" bike, let alone a 20" bike weigh ~50-75 lbs. let's say a common adult fatbiker weighs 3 times as much.
    That means, a 30 lbs fatbike to the kids is like an adult riding a 90 lbs bike. Any takers?
    Also, I question the need for the heavy 4" tires. Snow bikes need big tires to be able to run low pressure for traction and to prevent sinking in softer trails.
    Adult biker on firm trails(the kind kids might be able to ride) often ride around 6 psi in a 4.5" tire.
    At 1/3 of the weight, kids could ride 6 psi in a 1.5" tire right? after all, they ride summer mtb trails with around 10 psi in their mtb tires.
    Dropping from a 4" tire to a 2" tire would save a lot of weight, as would going from a 90 mm rim to a 45 mm rim as well. My bet would be several pounds for the set.

As mentioned above, the other problem is stance width of the cranks. Most regular kids bikes are to wide, going to a 4" wide tire is not likely to help here. Again, imagine if your fatbike pedals were spaced 1.5 as far apart as they are now.

I have yet to try out how my daughters regular bike works as a fatbike, since our trails are pretty much pure ice right now. When we get some more snow, I'll air her tires down and see what the tracks look like compared to my fatbike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Well by that logic, my daughter already rides a 75lbs MTB(actually approx. 25lbs but by that math its equal to 75lbs)so a few extra pounds should be fine. The added floatation in fresh snow is worth the trade off in weight because without the floatation on the trail, it doesn't matter how light the bike is sitting in the garage.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by akquad52 View Post
    Well by that logic, my daughter already rides a 75lbs MTB(actually approx. 25lbs but by that math its equal to 75lbs)so a few extra pounds should be fine. The added floatation in fresh snow is worth the trade off in weight because without the floatation on the trail, it doesn't matter how light the bike is sitting in the garage.
    But if a 200lb adult can get enough float from a 4 inch tire, a child could get plenty of float from a much smaller tire.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Well, my daughter(66lbs) rides a 19lbs bike. I(180lbs) ride a 31 pound bikes.
    The only reason I didn't get my daughter a lighter bike is price, it gets expensive to go below that.
    I seriously doubt that I'd enjoy riding a 95 pound bike in soft snow, unless there was a chairlift involved.

My point was that I was explaining that the weight was a serious hindrance, and I doubted that kids needed 4" tires for float, since it seemd like you might be able to get similar snow performance from a lighter bike with narrower stance width.

I did try it out today, let her ride her bike at 4 psi, and I rode mine at about 5 psi.
    The tracks on the firm snow we currently have were similar, but it did seem like 4 psi was as low as she could go, she was very close to bottoming out her tire on the rim.
    This was a 2.1" rocket Ron tire on a narrow rim, for a height of ~44mm vs my lou on 100 mm rim with height at ~84mm.
    It need to try it out more once we have some fresh snow, so I can get on a consistent and soft surface, and make sure I equalize the pressure exactly, but it does seem that my hypothesis was wrong, and tire spring rate is not linear with its height.

Having said that, I'd still guess that a ~50mm rim with a ~2.7" tire would be sufficient, especially since I don't see most kids powering through soft snow.

Existential dilemma
    Dec 2014
    Anyone touched a Fatboy 20 yet? Weight? Overall impressions? Feedback from the kids? Too heavy for anything but downhill?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    For pure winter riding these will be fine. Where I ride in AK, you cannot ride a traditional MTB in the winter. Period. Steep hill climbing is limited on any bike in the snow due to traction, so you end up walking up a lot of steep ones anyway. It will be worth every penny for my daughter to be able to ride with me in the winter(which is the longest season we have). I don't think these were meant to be a kids only bike, but a second bike making it possible for the kiddos to ride year round with Mom and Dad. $1000 for that many more rides a year with my kid seems like money well spent!
    Granted I don't know where in Ak you ride, but where I ride in Ak (Anchorage) you certainly can ride a regular mountain bike. Period. We did it for years, then we got Snocats, then we got fatbikes.Would I go back? Heck no but it sure can be done. People ride up pretty steep hills too, but our trails get very packed out very fast. Yours may not.
    I'm in the camp that lighter is better for kids too, my kid rode all winter, long before fat bikes. We had to keep to packed trails but around Anchorage that is not really a problem. Really heavy and super wide Q may not make for a fun ride for a little kid. 24" wheel size kids will probably handle it better than 20" wheel size kids. Good luck whatever you do. I have great memories of winter riding with the little guy. The kids are still fun to ride with now that they are all grown up but it's a different kind of fun.
    Latitude 61

Existential dilemma
    Dec 2014
    There is a not-too-good review on the Specialized site that is titled "Did Specialized actually make this?"

Hopefully it is just a disgruntled employee(!)

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Anyone hear when the 24's are supposed to arrive at the dealers? I know my LBS got a few 20's but no 24's.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    My statement was a little broad I guess. Depending on the winter, and the conditions you can ride a MTB almost anywhere around Anchorage. But a few winters ago(when we had our record snow fall) you could not. I believe every MTB in the frost bottom that year DNF'd. I guess my point is that a fatbike allows you to ride in most conditions, where a MTB only allows you to ride after the trails are packed or plowed. If the winters continue to be like this one, we will all be on studded cyclocross bikes. lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Anyone hear when the 24's are supposed to arrive at the dealers? I know my LBS got a few 20's but no 24's.
    My dealer in Canada said they were delayed 2 weeks and should be in the first week of January.

Existential dilemma
    Dec 2014
    Please post weights for the 20 and 24.

Many thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest Becker View Post
    Please post weights for the 20 and 24.

Many thanks.
    I will post the weight of the 24 as soon as I get it.

mtbr member
    I heard 29 pounds for the 20" from the dude at the LBS that just got finished building one.
    They have not rcvd the 24"s yet

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    29.5# from what our local LBS weighed for a 20".

Existential dilemma
    Dec 2014
    Thank you kindly for posting the weights.

Given an average kid
    ... what would folks guesstimate is the minimum age for a 20" bike? Let's assume we have some modest hills to go up (ie not in Kansas).

Many thanks for your feedback.

mtbr member
    Thank you kindly for posting the weights.

Given an average kid
    ... what would folks guesstimate is the minimum age for a 20" bike?
    my daughter is 7 and she's just about outgrown her 20" bike.

Personally, the idea of buying any bike that expensive or that specialized for a kid that's going to outgrow it in a year or 2 tops is crazy.

Also, you really have to think about kids.

Kids are small and light. They excel at stuff like rock climbing because their weight to muscle ratio is really high. On bikes, this doesn't work as well. My daughter can school me on any climbing wall we are both allowed to climb. But she'll fall over trying to ride up the driveway. She can't just stand up and muscle her way up a hill.

I love my fatbike, but it's a beast. It does not handle as well as a regular mtb. And I can't imagine the handling gets better when you reduce the wheel size but keep the same 4" width for the tires.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    We ordered a 24" the moment they popped up on bike rumor, we were just about to order an On-One Fun Fatty that day. We were hoping to get it by Christmas but it didn't happen. They are now saying it will arrive mid next week. My son was dying for a fat bike and it was the only thing he wanted for Christmas. He'll be kicking in some of his money for it too. I've seen a bunch of brand new kid's 4 wheelers and motorcycles heading to their new homes under the tree, no one seems to think twice about spending $1500-$3000 on one of those for a kid, but when a kid's bicycle cost more than $100 everyone freaks out. I figure he will get 2-3 seasons out of it and if it doesn't get too battered we'll get $500+ on eBay or Pinkbike. Doesn't sound quite so bad now.
    But what really makes me willing to pay the money is a great kid that makes all A's that I am willing to pay almost any amount of money to help him fall in love with riding a bicycle!

Existential dilemma
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Staticclover View Post
    ... a bunch of brand new kid's 4 wheelers and motorcycles heading to their new homes under the tree, no one seems to think twice about spending $1500-$3000 on one of those for a kid, but when a kid's bicycle cost more than $100 everyone freaks out....
    That's a good observation.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Re: Specialized Fatboy 20" and 24" Kids Fatbikes

Specialized Fatboy 20&quot; and 24&quot; Kids Fatbikes-uploadfromtaptalk1419553059550.jpgthis is my 10 yr old on his new Framed mini sota 24" he is already ripping on it doing wheelies and jumping it. He will get a year or two on it. This bike was 700 at my lbs and well worth it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    ... a bunch of brand new kid's 4 wheelers and motorcycles heading to their new homes under the tree, no one seems to think twice about spending $1500-$3000 on one of those for a kid, but when a kid's bicycle cost more than $100 everyone freaks out....

Haha ya, and there are plenty of people that buy themselves a new bike every couple of years at $2000-$4000 a pop. And it aint cause they are growing....well, not getting taller anyways.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    If the used market for junior size bikes is like junior sized dirt bikes, that Mini-Sota will sell for around $450 in a couple of years, and probably never drop below $350. Bikes like this will always be in demand, and the LBS will always get MSRP (unless you're an A-list customer).

You shouldn't be worrying about the cost of the 24" bike, instead be worried about getting your kid hooked and moving up to a 26" bike. Not because it's going to cost your $1800 to buy them a full size bike (they get your hand me down bike) but because it's going to cost you $5,000 to upgrade to that new carbon fatty!

Either way, it's a win-win, and falls into the "priceless" category.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I agree get them hooked. I built a custom 26 er ended up having 800 into it he has put over 1400 miles on dirt since last Christmas his x box has been turned on maybe 4 times this year. That's why I don't mind spending the money on his mini sota

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevebiker View Post

Haha ya, and there are plenty of people that buy themselves a new bike every couple of years at $2000-$4000 a pop. And it aint cause they are growing....well, not getting taller anyways.
    I've seen a bunch of brand new kid's 4 wheelers and motorcycles heading to their new homes under the tree, no one seems to think twice about spending $1500-$3000 on one of those for a kid, but when a kid's bicycle cost more than $100 everyone freaks out.
    So true, our son got a Yamaha TTR-90 last year and it was not cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by buckfiddious View Post
    my daughter is 7 and she's just about outgrown her 20" bike.

Personally, the idea of buying any bike that expensive or that specialized for a kid that's going to outgrow it in a year or 2 tops is crazy.

Also, you really have to think about kids.
    Yes, you do really have to think about kids. Kids know when they are riding a heavy bike because they let you know about 30 minutes into a ride. Buying a good bike (if they are really into riding bikes) is no different than buying good sports equipment or buying products for yourself. Having first hand knowledge of what hockey and ski gear costs, a good lightweight bike that doesn't weigh 27+ pounds will make riding so much more enjoyable. There are a solid 2-3 years where a child can ride 24" bikes as example, and you might as well make those years the best because they can learn/develop so many skills that will last a lifetime!

Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    Granted I don't know where in Ak you ride, but where I ride in Ak (Anchorage) you certainly can ride a regular mountain bike. Period. People ride up pretty steep hills too, but our trails get very packed out very fast. Yours may not.
    I'm in the camp that lighter is better for kids too, my kid rode all winter, long before fat bikes. We had to keep to packed trails but around Anchorage that is not really a problem. Really heavy and super wide Q may not make for a fun ride for a little kid. 24" wheel size kids will probably handle it better than 20" wheel size kids.
    Yes, where we live after 24 hours the trails pack down enough so we can ride our normal bikes as well. These Specialized Fatboy kids bikes are really cool and kids will love them. The weight though at 29.5 pounds, along with a 32x34 gearing will make it very very tough to go up hills. Just pushing a 30 pound bike uphill will be tough when you are a 60-70 pound kid. One suggestion to make super heavy kids bikes more climb-worthy would be to run a OneUp RADr cage on a Shimano clutch rear derailleur, 30t OneUp front ring, and a SRAM XO cassette with the OneUp 42 tooth ring. You will never be able to make the kids fat bikes super light, but at least you can properly gear them if you have hills.

I am doing a some 24" builds with these components now and have been very impressed. There is a market (though small) for high-end very light weight kids bikes! Check out some latest builds in process https://www.facebook.com/TrailcraftCycles

Happy Trails!
    Ginger

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    ^^^ this makes a lot of sense. The weight is one thing, the gearing is another issue that seems like a miss by Specialized.

Careful, resourceful shopping can find light weight take off out of fashion parts like "narrow" carbon bars, too short carbon seat posts, etc. that help shed weight at a low price.

The aftermarket for good fat bikes and good kids bikes is strong as the bikes tend to see less miles and hold value well. I know that the 24" Trek and 20" Specialized I bought my daughter are passing down to my son and eventually to their younger cousins, so four kids getting 2-3 years out of each bike seems like a better deal than throw away department store bikes. And I'll still likely recoup at least 50% of what I paid for them.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    All the fun of a fat bike with the performance of a Specialized for youngsters. The Fatboy 20" and 24" combine a lightweight frame and fork with 4.0" Ground Control tires to tackle any terrain in all conditions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20-1.jpg 
Views:	1631 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	940249Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20-2.jpg 
Views:	8117 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	940250Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20-3.jpg 
Views:	5949 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	940251Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20-4.jpg 
Views:	4314 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	940252Click image for larger version. 

Name:	24-1.jpg 
Views:	1581 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	940253Click image for larger version. 

Name:	24-2.jpg 
Views:	2233 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	940254Click image for larger version. 

Name:	24-3.jpg 
Views:	2380 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	940255Click image for larger version. 

Name:	24-4.jpg 
Views:	7246 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	940256
    Ride reports and actual weights? For sure I thought we would have seen some posts by now. TIA

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    We just got our 24" January 2nd. It's only been out for a quick spin Sunday afternoon. Overall it's a pretty cool bike, the only problem we are having is that it is geared a little too high and there is really not a quick cheap fix to get it lower. The bike shop is trying to figure out the best way to get it sorted right now. My son is really just barely big enough for this bike, 8 years around 54" & 65#. A bigger kid may not have any trouble with the gearing. I'll tell you one thing, this bike will probably fit him until he is 5 ft tall, the smaller adults at the bike shop looked at home riding it around. Oh and also I'm not crazy about the brakes, may swap them for BB7 but we'll see. Even if we have to do big drivetrain and brake upgrades to get it just right, I think it will be worth it. He will be able to ride this bike way longer than I had planned.

Existential dilemma
    Dec 2014
    ... it is geared a little too high and there is really not a quick cheap fix to get it lower...
    Does it have a 32t chainring and 11-34 cassette (as per the Spec website)?
    My other bike is a 200XCW.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Yes, we are adding a 42 tooth one up, cassette, x7 derailleur, shifter, and new chain to make it a 10 speed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I was thinking of buying a Shimano HG-61 12-36 9 speed cassette for my son's if he finds the gearing too tall. After that if he still wants for lower gearing I'll replace the 32 front with a 30t narrow wide. If he wants lower gearing after that I'll tell him to HTFU!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Yes, we are adding a 42 tooth one up, cassette, x7 derailleur, shifter, and new chain to make it a 10 speed.
    Let me know how this works. I just got my daughter a Mini-sota and it has the same gearing as the specialized.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    First ride for my son on his Fatboy 24 this evening. He did amazingly well, I was expecting lots of offs on the boot stomped singletrack but he managed it perfectly. We rode on the frozen lake for a bit, which was fun for him. A 75lb kid at <5psi floats pretty good on the windswept snow of a frozen lake. We also bombed the local toboggan hill, that was probably the highlight for him.

As for the bike, here's my initial take:

The good:
    1) nice quality frame and wheels
    2) reasonable weight, it's lighter than my Moonlander
    3) good quality tires

The OK:
    1) gearing is OK, a bit lower would be good, but my son pedaled the packed snow well with the stock gearing. Lower gearing might be pointless in flat areas, low gearing is for pushing through snow where I live, I doubt a kid could push through snow no matter how low their gear
    2) trigger shifter and winter gloves isn't the greatest combo

The Bad:
    1) brakes, they SUCK! I'm hoping they bed in and get better, if not I've got a spare set of BB5's or some Tectro hydro's that came on my son's MTB\
    2) stock pedals, not sure why they bother with them, super small, super crappy. Not fit for any bike, let alone one that will be ridden with winter boots

All in all I'm happy with the purchase, my son and I have lots of fun km of riding to look forward to this winter and next with this bike.
    Specialized Fatboy 20&quot; and 24&quot; Kids Fatbikes-photo-2.jpg
    Specialized Fatboy 20&quot; and 24&quot; Kids Fatbikes-photo-1.jpg

Existential dilemma
    Dec 2014
    As a wild guess - would converting to tubeless and single speed reduce weight perhaps 10 percent?

I am comfortable converting to tubeless. But what about the single speed? Just use a conversion kit and a sprocket? Which kit? Any other parts needed?

The local bike shop (Specialized dealer) that sold us our Fatboy 20 scratched their heads when I asked. Please, any help would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Fatboy 24 made it to our shop:

Specialized Fatboy 20&quot; and 24&quot; Kids Fatbikes-1-img_3865.jpg

13.76 kg without pedals.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by siim_s View Post
    Fatboy 24 made it to our shop: 13.76 kg without pedals.
    OK, so about 31 pounds with pedals. Helpful, thanks!

As a wild guess - would converting to tubeless and single speed reduce weight perhaps 10 percent?

I am comfortable converting to tubeless. But what about the single speed? Just use a conversion kit and a sprocket? Which kit? Any other parts needed?

The local bike shop (Specialized dealer) that sold us our Fatboy 20 scratched their heads when I asked. Please, any help would be appreciated.
    Several ways to make it tubeless, either split tube/foam/etc. or wide gorilla tape should work as well.

How To Convert Your Fat Bike to Tubeless Using a Split Tube | Singletracks Mountain Bike Blog

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/tap...ss-792941.html (post#6 method worked best for me at lower psi)

Rear you should just be able to get a SS cog and some cassette spacers, or you can get a fancy spacer kit.

BUT if you go SS/tubeless and can reduce the weight by 3 pounds, you still have a 28 pound single speed fat bike with the bulk of the weight in the wrong spots - rotational.

I wasn't great at math in school but with the son of Kris's 75 pound kid as an example above:

75 pound kid / 31 pound bike = 42% of body weight (equivalent of a 160 pound adult on a 67 pound moonlander)
    75 pound kid / 27 pound bike = 36% of body weight (equivalent of a 160 pound adult on a 58 pound bike)

160 pound rider on a 30 pound bike = 19.4% of body weight
    160 pound rider on a 40 pound moonlander = 25% bike to body weight

To put it into perspective, who here wants to ride a 67 pound Moonlander with uphill unfriendly gearing?

Riding on the beach, flat trails and frozen lakes I think its fine where it is weight wise. But with hills you are going to want more gears, so I think a 30 tooth front and 40 or 42 tooth minimum out back. I don't see making it lighter as having any performance if you are going from say 42% to 36% bike to rider weight % and losing crucial gearing by having it SS only.

Existential dilemma
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    [...] But with hills you are going to want more gears, so I think a 30 tooth front and 40 or 42 tooth minimum out back. I don't see making it lighter as having any performance if you are going from say 42% to 36% bike to rider weight % and losing crucial gearing by having it SS only.
    Many thanks GSJ. Makes perfect sense.

Are you (or any reader) able to link me to the 30t chainwheel and 40 or 42 tooth cassette that will bolt-on? Forgive my ignorance.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Many thanks GSJ. Makes perfect sense.

Are you (or any reader) able to link me to the 30t chainwheel and 40 or 42 tooth cassette that will bolt-on? Forgive my ignorance.
    Honestly I might be the best person on this subject, as I am not sure a 42t will work on your current 9 speed. Might need to go with a new 10 speed cassette/clutch 10 speed derailleur, and new front shifter. All attainable easily, but will be another couple hundred dollars I am sure.

Lots of discussion here: http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-sh...th-897313.html

Existential dilemma
    Dec 2014
    Many thanks GSJ, I'll take a looksie!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    "Long time Lurker here...LOL"

I ended up getting my 6yr old son a framed Mini-Sota too. I wanted to like the specialized, but I just couldn't justify spending $1000.00 for a bike with inferior components (not only in regards to the framed...but also in regards to his $600.00 Hotrock pro 20 we got him last year!!!).
    Also, he would have outgrown the 20" bike by next winter....so I was going to get a 24" anyway (he rides extremely well for his age, and is big for only being 4 months past 6), so going with the Framed for $670.00 shipped (plus a watch) was the logical thing to do IMO!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    My 9 year old LOVES her 24"! We have had it out a few times and she has had very little trouble with hills. We haven't had much snow, but the last snowfall was around 4-5 inches and she blazed through it just fine. I would like to upgrade the brakes for sure, but overall I am impressed with the Specialized.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    im a specialized dealer and these are way to expensive. I only see "rentals" as an alternative. BUT i dont have any children so i cant say i wouldn't spend a grand on them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Plus I liked the fact that I could change things on the Farmed! I installed new pedals, some hydraulic brakes I had laying around, a raceface 36T ring and a raceface bash guard (the crank that specialized uses is worthless...even on the hotrock 20pro). Were riding tomorrow since it's still snowy and frozen up here in the NE Specialized Fatboy 20&quot; and 24&quot; Kids Fatbikes-dsc_0004-2-.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Fatboy 20&quot; and 24&quot; Kids Fatbikes-dsc_0001-2-.jpg  

Specialized Fatboy 20&quot; and 24&quot; Kids Fatbikes-dsc_0002-3-.jpg  

Specialized Fatboy 20&quot; and 24&quot; Kids Fatbikes-dsc_0003.jpg  

Sam Adams Fan
    Last edited by DG40; 03-01-2015 at 07:04 PM.

mtbr member
    What is the crank arm length for the 20" and 24" ?
    Still cleaning my Fatback.
    It's a life style.

mtbr member
    Not sure about the 20", but my 24" has 160mm crankarms

mtbr member
    Specialized's web site says 127mm for the 20". It is under Geometry instead of Specs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Has anyone successfully converted a 24" Fatboy Jr to tubeless? I tried several times and got nowhere. I have successfully converted both a Pug and a 29ers to ghetto tubeless with Stan's stems and sealant and gorilla tape, so I do have at least some idea of how to do it. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Has anyone successfully converted a 24" Fatboy Jr to tubeless? I tried several times and got nowhere. I have successfully converted both a Pug and a 29ers to ghetto tubeless with Stan's stems and sealant and gorilla tape, so I do have at least some idea of how to do it. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
    I haven;t although I was asking about lighter tubes and I was encouraged to try. What has been the problem, in your experience?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Melll View Post
    I haven;t although I was asking about lighter tubes and I was encouraged to try. What has been the problem, in your experience?
    On the Pug with Marge light rims and Nate tires, the tires bulge over the rim a good bit. I put in the gorilla tape, put it all back together with the tube and let it all set up good for a while. Then I broke the bead on just one side of the tire, pulled out the tube, and installed the valve and filled with an air compressor with a high volume chuck that I rigged up to set the bead, after that, let the air out and put the Stan's in and kept the wheels spinning to get it around everywhere, easy peasy! I've been adding a bit more Stan's from time to time and all is well, same process for the 29er.
    Now, for Fatboy Jr., it seems the problem is the tire and rim are practically the same width with little to no sidewall bulging over the rim and it makes it harder to set the bead. I put the tape in, put the tube back in, and aired it up to get it all nice and stuck together. As soon as I let the air out of the tube, the bead on both sides of the rim just fall right off, so instead of having only one bead loose, both are. I put the valve in and gave it a shot but no luck. I even tried some of the old lawnmower and wheel barrel tire tricks, like wrapping a bungee cord and then a ratchet straps around it to try to force the bead out while filling it, no go. Only thing I didn't try was the fire trick, just didn't want to risk destroying a new wheel or tire.
    I have not attempted it again, but I still have the tape in and I'm open to trying again. Please send any suggestions you might have.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Btw, to kinda give a review of the overall bike. I like it and my son does too. I think Specialized should go ahead and make one in the $1,500 range cause we're gonna end up there any way. Go on and put nicer brakes, better rear derailleur, and put a 2x up front or stick with the 1x and put a granny low 42 tooth in the rear, because it is geared way to high stock.
    So far we've upgraded to a ten speed cassette with a wolf tooth 42, an x7 mid derailleur, 30 tooth race face narrow wide front ring, and an x0 twist shifter (used). This seems to be geared low enough for him now and shifting great, although we haven't put many miles on the new set up yet. He's probably still a bit small for the bike, but I think it would be geared to tall for a bigger kid. IMO, fat bikes should be geared to crawl. I really don't care much for the brakes that came with it and will probably upgrade to bb7's someday. That will get us to @ $1500.
    I know it sounds like alot, but I think he will be on this bike for several years.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Any further feedback on the Mini-Sota and Fatboy 24". I'm close to pulling the trigger for my 7yr olds birthday this month. He a strong rider and smokes his Hotrock 20 with no fear but clearly outgrown it. I'm 6'7", he's turning 7 and 4'4" and 56 lbs. Just rode it at my LBS. He loves it and wants to go Fat!

Q factor and growing body has some concerns growing. Weight, Hotrock 20 is 23lbs and this bike is 31lbs. He's got energy to burn and I'm just getting slower and slower....

Mini-Sota or Fat24?
    H

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    My daughter has had her Mini Sota since February. She rode it to school almost every day over the winter and it hit the trails several times as well. The only change I made was to replace the crank with an X5 double. We are only using the inside ring, but it makes the off-road winter riding doable. My daughter just turned 10 and weighs about 65 lbs. She does race mtn bikes so she is pretty strong. She loves her Mini Sota!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    A 31 lb bike for a 56 lb kid is the same as a 98 lb bike for a 175 lb adult. It doesn't stop some kids but you should be careful to keep the ride fun and fairly short. Kids can run out of gas pretty quick.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    A 31 lb bike for a 56 lb kid is the same as a 98 lb bike for a 175 lb adult. It doesn't stop some kids but you should be careful to keep the ride fun and fairly short. Kids can run out of gas pretty quick.
    +1
    My daughter had a 28lb Giant MTX and struggled on hills and long rides. I surprised her with a 17lb Islabike for her birthday and her riding skills improved immensely. Hills were no longer insurmountable and she could even cruise down the single track. It is a bummer that the current kids fatbikes are so heavy, most weigh similar to my Fatboy.
    19 Fargo Ti
    '17 Cutthroat
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Specialized Fatboy 24

Well, Thank you all for contributing. We slacked on time for the birthday so paid extra to be on time. We bought local at great expense, We've converted another to the "Fat" Lifestyle. Thank you for your advice. I don't even want to think about the money. I look forward to riding the beach and trails. I'm sure it will be worth every mile.....
    Specialized Fatboy 20&quot; and 24&quot; Kids Fatbikes-fatboy24.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Well, a couple weeks into owning the Fatboy24.

It's cool, but...not for the lack of enthusiasm of my son, I think it's geared too tall. Thinking of going to a 30 or 28T up front from the stock 32T.

We did 8 miles of single track last weekend and he smoked all of us. Lead the whole way and had a huge ear to ear grin on his face. It was hot 87f and muggy in NY, but there were no complaints at all. Usually the ride includes 2-3 wipeouts on roots and rocks. This time around none. I believe the overall speed of the ride was slower.

The Last 3 days we've been on the beach with it for the morning dog walk. I don't think we have but 4-5psi in the tires at that point. I barely makes an imprint of the knobbies in the moist sand and with some effort he rides the soft stuff too. Again with Ear to Ear grin.

The Pedals are indeed very narrow and short, even compared to his Hotrock 20" pedals. Brakes work fine, so does the SRAM X4.

On a ride to our local beach we descent a big hill. In the past on his Hotrock 20" single speed he climbs that hill when many walk back up. With the Fatboy 24" he too ends up walking back up.

The Weight/drag is significant even with high enthusiasm. I'm having mixed emotions and now being more selective on what and where we ride as he gains confidence and strength.
    Too much too soon? So far the novelty hasn't warn off, but I'm watching closely.

H

mtbr member
    Just go ahead and put a 28 tooth on there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    https://youtu.be/gVIMP4rVGhY
    Here's a quick clip of him riding the sand. Nothing great but he's loving it. Dog's trying to eat his show. I will turn him into a trail dog I promise.
    H

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I agree 28T. I found not sizing info on SPec website. any info on BCD size etc... I was thinking even one of those Absoluteblack oval chain rings.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    [NXT24SD80] [Snow Dragon] 80mm Width Carbon Fat Bike 24" Rim Double Wall Tubeless Compatible
    For the weight weenies complaining their bikes are too heavy, $320 per rim, no spokes or hubs, Nextie has answered your concerns. 7-8 colors for $2 more. 3 hole patterns in case you want to put a lefty on your kids bike.
    $1650 plus lacing time.
    H

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Race Face 30t on 104BCD

Replaced 32t chain ring with Race Face 30t for 104BCD on Fatboy 24" over the weekend. My son is very happy and climbs the hill that previously eluded him. $44 well spent and enjoyment factor is still giddly high.
    H

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    We realized real quick that the gearing on our Fatboy 24 was way too tall for my son. The Bike Surgeon, (where I bought it in the St. Louis area, and they were great to work with on this btw) put a 30t Race Face narrow wide front ring on and ditched the chain minder. In the back we put a ten speed cassette with a wolf tooth 42t, an X7 rear derailleur, and a grip shifter from the parts bin. It worked great except for the grip shifter was too easy to turn (they warned me this might happen when we were ordering parts, but I didn't want to pay for a new X0 shifter) so I found a used X0 grip shifter and it shifts perfectly now. It has yet to drop the chain and in low gear it is really crawling, he can climb about anything. If I remember right, a 28t would not fit on the stock cranks because we definitely would have tried that first.
    Other than going through everything mentioned above, we have been very pleased with the little Fatboy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    We realized real quick that the gearing on our Fatboy 24 was way too tall for my son. The Bike Surgeon, (where I bought it in the St. Louis area, and they were great to work with on this btw) put a 30t Race Face narrow wide front ring on and ditched the chain minder. In the back we put a ten speed cassette with a wolf tooth 42t, an X7 rear derailleur, and a grip shifter from the parts bin. It worked great except for the grip shifter was too easy to turn (they warned me this might happen when we were ordering parts, but I didn't want to pay for a new X0 shifter) so I found a used X0 grip shifter and it shifts perfectly now. It has yet to drop the chain and in low gear it is really crawling, he can climb about anything. If I remember right, a 28t would not fit on the stock cranks because we definitely would have tried that first.
    Other than going through everything mentioned above, we have been very pleased with the little Fatboy.
    I may look to upgrade some of my 10 speed stuff on my recently bought Sturgis Bullet Ti so If that's the case I will have a few parts bin parts to bring to the Fatboy 24" I have X5 shifters and X7 long cage and low end PG 1030 on that bike. We are destroying it all with the beach and dunes we ride in daily. Tektro Mech make a little noise on occassion but not enough to through them out.
    I was very happy to see the 24" Ground Control only cost $40 as my son's move to this bike was also the first bike with a front break. He's hamfisted, Gleefully, with the rears and it's killing the soft compound tire. I recently oreder a Motobecane Boris 5 for my older son and I am curious what that bike will look like. So far the Fatboy has been great.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Now that the prices of these dropped to $649 with the latest Specialized sale, I ordered a blue/green 24" up for my daughter. Has anyone successfully switched one over to tubeless? If so what method worked? Thanks!
    19 Fargo Ti
    '17 Cutthroat
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    Now that the prices of these dropped to $649 with the latest Specialized sale, I ordered a blue/green 24" up for my daughter. Has anyone successfully switched one over to tubeless? If so what method worked? Thanks!
    I have a fattystripper I need to try. Haven't had the time with the holidays to mount it. It's a deep rim so you need some type of foam backing. The gc's are wire rims tired so they are hard to inflate with foot pump if you you go tubeless. They sit real lose. I tried the initial install without foam and no dice. Will get to it in the next week or 2 with pics etc.
    H

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Cool- let me know how it goes. Good luck!
    19 Fargo Ti
    '17 Cutthroat
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    So we picked up the Fatboy 24 a few days ago and ended exchanging it for a Fatboy 20 shortly after. The 24 was just too big for my 4'3" daughter- she had zero standover and had to lean forward awkwardly to reach the bars. This was far from ideal and had her fighting the bike. She'd have grown into it, but the Fatboy 20 fit her great now. She was out jumping snow banks as soon as we got it home despite a -20F windchill. Should last her a few seasons and hopefully there will be another sale on 24's by that point.

FYI: the 20's tires measure approx 23" diameter and the 24's are approx 27", in case anyone is interested in sizing equivalents.

Specialized Fatboy 20&quot; and 24&quot; Kids Fatbikes-image.jpg
    19 Fargo Ti
    '17 Cutthroat
    '15 Fatboy Expert

Addict
    The boys got to ride their new fatboy 24's today. These things are awesome.

7r.
    mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Shaved off some weight with rtl tubeless.
    30t RaceFace front and 11-36 rear, XT brakes because of easy adjustable reach for small hands.
    My son loves the bike and all the attention.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 7r. View Post
    Shaved off some weight with rtl tubeless.
    30t RaceFace front and 11-36 rear, XT brakes because of easy adjustable reach for small hands.
    My son loves the bike and all the attention.

Very nice!

Do the tires stay on the rim at low psi (3-5psi)? I tried vacuum bag tubeless with the 24" and they would come off the rim at low psi. I haven't tried with the Fatboy 20 after failing on the 24".

Did you switch to 10speed or what 9sp 11-36 cassette did you use? My daughter is a fan of the gear indicators, so that has prevented me from switching hers over to 10sp.

Thanks!
    19 Fargo Ti
    '17 Cutthroat
    '15 Fatboy Expert

7r.
    mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Have not tried under 5psi . Pretty sure the tire stays on the rim if I try lower pressure. Switched to 10speed 11-36 with XT selector lever on the handlebar. This has a larger contact area that is easier to hit for small fingers.
    RTL tubeless:

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Cool- Thanks! I've used shrink wrap on the bigger bikes before switching to the vacuum bag method as it is reusable. I'll have to give it a try on the 20" as I'm guessing it holds to the bead a little better.

I have my Fatboy's 10sp parts, but my daughter is still big on knowing what gear she is in and which to use for what situation. Hopefully I can break her of that this summer.
    19 Fargo Ti
    '17 Cutthroat
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    +1
    My daughter had a 28lb Giant MTX and struggled on hills and long rides. I surprised her with a 17lb Islabike for her birthday and her riding skills improved immensely. Hills were no longer insurmountable and she could even cruise down the single track. It is a bummer that the current kids fatbikes are so heavy, most weigh similar to my Fatboy.
    I'm in the same boat. Both my girls are frail and are now riding Islabikes. I see you've made the jump to the Fatboy, let me know how your daughter likes it compared to the lighter bike. I'm really interested in going this direction in the near future....thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn View Post
    I'm in the same boat. Both my girls are frail and are now riding Islabikes. I see you've made the jump to the Fatboy, let me know how your daughter likes it compared to the lighter bike. I'm really interested in going this direction in the near future....thanks!
    So far so good. I'll be keeping the Islabike for summer use (and for my son to grow into), but she hasn't complained yet about the weight of the baby Fatboy in the snow. I'll have to see which she prefers when the snow melts as she was really ripping up the trails on the little Isla.
    19 Fargo Ti
    '17 Cutthroat
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    has anyone tried swapping out the fatties for 26 inch wheel set?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Wanted to subscribe to this thread. Just picked up a pair of the Fatboy 24s for the kids.

mtbr member
    If you have the money, the Nextie rims are awesome. I've been riding them daily for a few months. Throw some Stan's tape on, seal with Slime. Bounce em around a bit. Good to go. Unfortunately, they are also expensive if you're using them on a kids' bike.

Hopefully we'll see some affordable tubeless aluminum rims out soon. I know I'm not the only one who doesn't want to outsource (and pay for) the wheel builds from HED.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas
    Pedal-powered tractor!

7r.
    mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Easier for junior to get up the steepest hills with new 11-40 cassette from Praxis Works...
    With 4 teeth more than the old cassette I see that the chain should have been switched to a longer one.