Specialized Fat Boy SE 2016 crankset replacement.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Specialized Fat Boy SE 2016 crankset replacement.

I need to replace (upgrade) my crankset on my Fat Boy SE. I want to go to a single chainring and lighten it up from the stock crankset while I am at it.

I know the Bottom Bracket is a PF30 (Press Fit). I do not know what width spindle I need. I am thinking a 100, but I am not sure. The rear hub is 190 QR and it can fit 5.0 tires, so my guess is the wider spindle is needed. But I am not entirely sure.

If anyone knows of any cranksets that would be a good upgrade so I can update the rest (shifters, chain, rear cassete and rear derailleur) to a 1 x 11 or 1 x 12 setup that would be greatly appreaciated.

I upgraded my Enduro bike with a RaceFace Turbine crankset and like it a lot, but I don't think that crankset is available for a Fat Bike, at least not according to the RaceFace website.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    RF definitely makes the Turbine for fatbikes. Just need to make sure you get the correct spindle length for your frame. Safe bet would be a spindle that is listed for 190mm rear.

If you got deep in the maths you could figure out if the smaller 170mm rear-based spindle would actually fit the frame and where it would place your chainline.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    If you got deep in the maths you could figure out if the smaller 170mm rear-based spindle would actually fit the frame and where it would place your chainline.
    Wouldn't the width of my bottom bracket play a role in how wide the spindle needs to be?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    It isn't specifically what you asked for, but it is a data point. I have a 2013 Fatboy Comp. It also has 190mm rear spacing. I'm using the 170mm Race Face Turbine on it and I like it a lot. The 170mm version may not be for everyone, but I'm glad I used that one and not the wider 190mm compatible one.

The crank arms are close to the chainstays, but not too close. It results in a little better Q, although I'm one of three humans that actually is more comfortable on a wide Q anyway. The arms were only about 1mm closer to the stays compared to the Sugino junk my Fatboy came with. The pre-load adjuster is much better than the wavy washer that the stock crank on that model used. I really don't care about weight, so I didn't weigh the stuff as I did the swap. Plus I went from 2X to 1X so I likely lost a few hundred grams.

If anything my chainline is just a smidgen outboard still. It is the price to be paid for 5 inch tire clearance on a fat bike. I used the widest range 11 speed I could from Shimano, so I have the 46 tooth. I bought it as a set with the shifter, rear der, and cassette. The system "sounds" cross chained in the 46t, although it works perfectly. I really wanted the 46t because I ride this bike 6 months out of the year, and I actually use it in snow. The Shimano concept of the 37t to 46t jump works best for me because I get a nice 10 speed ratio, and a big jump for a bail out in high resistance snow.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by manual63 View Post
    Wouldn't the width of my bottom bracket play a role in how wide the spindle needs to be?
    Yes and no. You need a "fatbike" crank (spindle). Your BB will be 100mm if it has threaded cups or 120-122mm(?) if it is press-fit. Add the threaded cups to the former and you are at the same width as the latter.
    The major difference between the 170 and 190 rear-based cranks is that the 190's use spindle spacers between the outer BB bearing race and the back of the crank-arm to give more width and allow for wider chainstays and a larger tire. Many are able to get away with the shorter spindle if the arms physically can spin past the chain stays.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Spec have spec some turbine in the past with a 170mm spindle and a reverse chainring on 190mm rear end. I think itís the way to go if you want a shorter q-factor.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    Yes and no. You need a "fatbike" crank (spindle). Your BB will be 100mm if it has threaded cups or 120-122mm(?) if it is press-fit.
    The Fatboy has 100mm BB and is press fit.

OP...You can use the spindle specified for the 170mm rear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    You got me, it has some abomination of a press fit yet external bearing on the AL models.

I'm totally guessing that it is still 120-122 from outer race to outer race.