MPE
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013

South Florida Fat Bikers?

I have a real itch for a fat bike. No snow down here, just trails and sand. Are there any South Florida Fat Bikers riding at Oleta, Markham or Emilia Earhart parks? I have not found any LBS carrying any serious fat bikes. They say they will order one if I am buying, but I would like to hear from some locals about their riding.

Thanks and take care,

Mike

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Best shop i have found in FL was a Salsa dealership in St. Augustine and Carrollwood Cycles in Tampa actually had a Pugsley in stock. Said they were selling one a month, but things had slowed down.

I ride my custom Mukluk a bunch, wish. Could do a belt drive to simplify the drivetrain for the salt at the beach.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaMuk View Post
    Best shop i have found in FL was a Salsa dealership in St. Augustine and Carrollwood Cycles in Tampa actually had a Pugsley in stock. Said they were selling one a month, but things had slowed down.

I ride my custom Mukluk a bunch, wish. Could do a belt drive to simplify the drivetrain for the salt at the beach.
    I can vouch for Salsa dealership as well. I bought a few parts from them a few years ago when I was in FL. Everything run smoothly and the guys there were very friendly and professional with me. They answered all my questions and trust me, I had a lot back then...
    Last edited by Max24; 03-02-2015 at 07:11 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I doubt you will have much luck finding a FB rider at Amelia, Markham or Oleta, since these trails are not sandy. I know there was a FB rider in Jupiter-area riding JD, but have only seen the tire marks, never the rider. This forum will likely be your best bet for info.

mtbr member
    I am in the Sarasota / Venice area and ride both fat bikes and 29+. If you have a lot of palmetto roots and or sand they both work really well. All around I prefer the 29+ but if it is beach or really sandy like some motorcycle trails get then I break out the full fat!

MPE
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks for the replies. I thought there would be more fat bike riders down here! I guess I might just need to jump in during 2014!

Take care,

Mike

mtbr member
    I ride Markham, Amelia, Virginia Key, Oleta, and Quiet Waters parks quite often...like 2-5x/wk, depending on weather and ever-changing schedule. Mostly Markham. Been riding a little over a year and haven't seen any Fat Bikers yet, but have seen plenty fat bikers.

I'd love to get a Fat Bike and blast down Crime Scene (popular local trail section, especially with the ER staff).

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I live on Miami Beach. I've been to Markham and Virginia Key on my Moto fatbike. I haven't been to Oleta or Amelia Earhart with it yet. I'd go to any of them to ride with friends with normal mountain bikes, but so far I've put most my time into riding up the coast. I started out from South Pointe on the end of Miami Beach and ride a chunk at a time. Delray is next on my map. If you're interested in checking out my bike in person, send me a message and I'll give you my contact info. Also, I rented one near Ft Lauderdale before I bought mine... Three speeds was not enough, neither were terrible tires with too much air and the pedal that wouldn't stay on... or the coaster brakes. It was enough to get me hooked though, but, most of what I've found down here are beach cruisers (for the boardwalk) that just happened to have big tires...

mtbr member
    1st time I saw a Fat bike was a year ago on the Broadwalk when I was staying at Hollywood Beach. I had a blast riding around down there with my Sawyer! Tried riding on the beach at low tide but that sand was too mushy.
    2018 Trek Stache 7
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty
    2011 Trek Sawyer (27.5+ Alfine 8 spd)

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    We brought our fatties down to Amelia Island last spring break (not south Florida, but to us northern folk, Florida is Florida...) and had a total blast riding the beaches for miles and also the state park trails (forget the name of that park). You won't be sorry getting one, because they have so many uses.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I know of 3 more besides my Fatback

2 907 and 1 Tommy Sea Destroyer

They're lots of fun

Picture is at Quiet Waters

I just rode from the Santos trail head to the Ross Prairie in Ocala during Thanksgiving, that was a blast
    That's the place to ride especially when its a bit cool like it was this year
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails South Florida Fat Bikers?-deerfield-beach-20120526-00052.jpg  

MPE
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Wow, I am glad to hear from you guys! I was starting to get concerned that there were not any Fat Bike riders down here and I might be making a mistake if I get one. Are they as much fun to ride down here (trails, parks, etc.) as I hope? T Wing, I will reach out to you soon.

Thanks!

Mike

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I took the week off, so provided I get my Mukluk mostly dialed in, I will be up at Santos once of twice with it, otherwise I will have my Redline 29er

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    You can't go wrong

I live in Broward but the inlaws live up there

I take the Fatback every time I go up

mtbr member
    The forecast for the next few days. Can I come ride with you guys?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I vacation on North Captiva Island and I'm looking to rent a fat bike for the week of April 12-19, 2014. I am having a difficult time finding a dealer who carries, let alone rents fat bikes. Does anyone know where I can rent one? I fly into Ft. Myers and catch the ferry at Pine Island over to North Captiva. It would be ideal if a dealer could deliver to Pine Island. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks very much.

Saw
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Oops. Double post.

Saw
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by FLA Grizzly View Post
    I know of 3 more besides my Fatback

2 907 and 1 Tommy Sea Destroyer

They're lots of fun

Picture is at Quiet Waters

I just rode from the Santos trail head to the Ross Prairie in Ocala during Thanksgiving, that was a blast
    That's the place to ride especially when its a bit cool like it was this year
    Hello there FLA Grizzly. Haven't heard from you in a while. Greetings to all S. FL fat bikers.

I'm selling the Tommy Sea if anyone is interested.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails South Florida Fat Bikers?-6549.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Fat Bike Rentals

I don't know of anyone on Captiva, but if you would like to rent a Fat Bike, call Everglades Edge, they have 9 Pugsley's available and also have some cool riding areas in the Picayune Strand State Forest which is located just east of Naples. Wes is a great guy and will take good care of you. 239-353-1648 or mobile 239-280-8837. Fat bikes are growing in SW Florida, we have a group of 7 right now that are riding fat or considering very soon. The tour de Picayune was on March 8th in the Picayune Strand and of the 45 starters, 16 bikes were Fat Bikes or 29+. They work so well in the Deep sand that we have here.

9:zero:7
    Hello Saw, long time, long time...

So, what are you getting?
    Only the dead fish swims with the current!

Saw
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Morej View Post
    Hello Saw, long time, long time...

So, what are you getting?
    Hi Morej. How have you been? I'm going to try my hand at converting a Mongoose Massif into a fat cargo tandem. It's going to be ugly, but I have to give it a go. Something like this.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

That's awesome. I'd like to see the progress!
    You do all the welding yourself?

Rocking on a Rocky
    I can't wait for July and ride my Fatty for the first time in shorts.

MPE
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Ok, I finally have my fat bike, a 20" Minnesota 2.0 in white and orange. The picture is at Oleta State Park down by the cove. I am having a blast on the trails and the fat tires are great on all the roots and limestone/coral rocks! I am not fast, but I sure have the biggest smile

Thanks for all the information. Take care,

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails South Florida Fat Bikers?-002.jpg  

Saw
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Morej View Post
    That's awesome. I'd like to see the progress!
    You do all the welding yourself?
    Yeah, that is the plan.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Hey

@ Saw and Morej

What's up guys? Hope you're doing well.

I haven't been here in a long time.

@ Mike congrats on the bike

The Fakawee is on the 29th

mtbr member
    Miami here. Picked up a specialized fatboy from Bike Tech but my lbs of choice is scoot skate and bike co. I am using the bike for mostly anything really. From road to trail. Cmass or sand you name it. If you want to see it and try it out message me.

MPE
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    @ Saw and Morej

What and where is the Fakawee? All I can think of is "where the Fakawee?" Is it a fat ride?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    @ evercycling nice

@ MPE
    Huge ride out of Markham Park, thru Weston and around the levee.

Saw Morej and I did it a couple years ago, it was raining, muddy and lots of fun.

Go to fakawibikefest.com and check it out, I believe a LBS sponsor the ride.

I think I'm in town that weekend and I'm thinking about doing it again, but I haven't been on the bike since Thanksgiving so it may hurt.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Glad to see other Florida fat bikers out there. I am waiting for the Salsa Bucksaw to be released before I get my first one.
    Flotilla or Buffet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Anyone want to ride somewhere in the vicinity of Miami? Local trails, beach anywhere between South Pointe and, well, wherever...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

MPE
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by T Wing View Post
    Anyone want to ride somewhere in the vicinity of Miami? Local trails, beach anywhere between South Pointe and, well, wherever...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Hey T Wing,

I know we "talked" about a ride before, but it did not happen. I am up for some trails if you are. I have not been out to Key Biscayne / Virginia Key yet. They open at 3:30 on weekdays. My schedule is a little wacky, but I will try to make it happen if we can. Also, I am Fat Bikeless for a few days. PM or text me and let's see if we can make it work.

Take care,

Mike

Saw
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Smile

@ Saw and Morej

Rats! I missed it. How are you doing FLA Grizzly? Haven't seen or heard from you in quite a while. Did you make it to the Fakawee? I decided not to sell the Tommy Sea or I would have to ride sans fat for a while. I don't have the time to build the fat bike that I want right now. My girlfriend rode my bike the other day and now she wants a fat bike of her own. I think she's a keeper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails South Florida Fat Bikers?-6554.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Saw View Post
    Rats! I missed it. How are you doing FLA Grizzly? Haven't seen or heard from you in quite a while. Did you make it to the Fakawee? I decided not to sell the Tommy Sea or I would have to ride sans fat for a while. I don't have the time to build the fat bike that I want right now. My girlfriend rode my bike the other day and now she wants a fat bike of her own. I think she's a keeper.
    Hahaha, straight road to your Bucksaw! Just give the Tommy Sea to the girlfriend!
    How are you guys?
    Even that I'm not riding this days... our family just got a new member - my son - who gets all my time and attention ...I bought a fat one for my wife too. Hopefully we can start family-fat-riding in a few months, when my son hits the one year mark.

FLA Grizzly, did you make it to the Fakawi?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm doing well guys.

@Morej Congratulation on the new addition to the Fat Club, you will soon find out if you haven't yet, that there is no better feeling.
    They make baby fat bikes

@Saw Keeper for sure.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to make The Fakawi, my daughter had an unscheduled practice, so there went my chance.

Its nice to hear from you guys.

Saw
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Congratulations Morej. Great excuse for a fat bike trailer.

Ah yes, the Bucksaw. That thing has you drooling too? We should all plan on riding the Fakawi in 2015 with Bucksaws and bike trailers. We'll just skip a few mortgage payments. No one will ever notice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    This is probably a longshot, but any fatbike rentals around Markham Park?
    Visiting the area after newyears and have a day free to ride.
    would love to make it a fattie ride...
    Thanks

MPE
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    As of last February, There was not any place to rent a fattie down here. I looked all over and then finally bought mine without ever riding a fat bike! I heard about a place that rents them for Everglades trail tours.

Take care,

Mike

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    There was a place near Ft Lauderdale Beach where I rented one before I bought mine. It was awful though... Three speed, geared too tall to max on flat pavement, too much air in the tires, kickstand, coaster brakes and, no kidding, the pedal nearly fell off...

Was enough to see the potential though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    New to forum..but I have a vilano bike and will be purchasing a boris x5 or x7. .I ride Amelia sometimes and critical mass miami every month. .

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

New question here.

So have things improved for renting a fat bike in the Ft. Lauderdale area since December of last year? I'll be in the area for Global Fat Bike Day and was hoping to do some big-tire riding without having to fly with my fatty.