Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Solvent for Stans fluid?

4K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  JACKL 
#1 ·
I have a shrader valve that's gummed up with solidified stans fluid, does anyone know what solvent would clear it out of the valve? It's inside the springy part, so I can't get at it to pull it out. I can get air into the tire with a floor pump, but can't get it to release any air.

I've actually already replaced the valve with a new one, but I'd like to put the old, gummed up one back in production, yes I'm that cheap.

#4 ·
remove the valve core, tooth brush the stans off. I've also had luck with a coat hanger to push stans out of a valve core. I've the best luck with a small metal hook I have though, kinda like a straightened out fish hook.

#6 ·
SCHRADER, apologies for misspelling, laziness in not looking it up before posting.

I already have the valve core pulled, the gunk is down inside the valve, I can't get it out. I've poked at it with a needle and other stuff, but can't get it out.

I think burning it would ruin the valve.

#10 ·
Rubbing alcohol removed dried stans from my rims, but it doesn't "melt" or dissolve it.

#19 ·
Ok, so far it's me and fat biker, that's, uh, carry the one, two; two are sold. If you want more than 98, we'll have to start another group. I'll try and keep this all straight
I don't think I could stretch all the way to the expensive ones though .

Also how much would the tax be on 5.34¢ (just asking as it may be another week before I can truly commit) ?

Fat Biker

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.