mtbr member
    Mar 2009

New question here. So where are the fat bike 10mm or 12mm thru axle bolts/skewers ?????

Everyone is producing fat rear hubs that can accept 10mm and 12mm thru axles (I-9, Salsa, Borealis, etc.). The Beargrease even comes with one. But no where can you buy or even find mention of the bolts or skewers themselves in 170 or 190mm. Not DT Swiss or Maxle or other. What gives? I have been looking for something stiffer then my salsa flip-off skewer for so long. Especially on fat bikes, the need for through axle for the rear is great.

So, as it stands, no one can make use of these great hubs in thru-axle format.

Does anyone have any leads?

Thanks!

Scott

Living the thug life.
    http://fatbikes.com/190-hubset.html

Been beating relentlessly on the hubs in summer and winter. They have been perfect.
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Those look like nice hubs, but are you using them with thru axle bolts or skewers? It's the 10 or 12mm bolts or skewers that can't be found. Everyone is making compatible hubs, but that is not useful if the bolts or skewers can't be purchased.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by sidener View Post
    Those look like nice hubs, but are you using them with thru axle bolts or skewers? It's the 10 or 12mm bolts or skewers that can't be found. Everyone is making compatible hubs, but that is not useful if the bolts or skewers can't be purchased.
    If you have a QR compatible frame, then the 10mm bolt will come with the hubs you buy.

If you have a thru-axle compatible frame, then the 12mm thru-axle comes with the frame.

I don't know why this is, but it is.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Let's get a diy or someone with the capabilities to make them for us. Put me down for a 170mm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I don't know if the Salsa Fat Conversion Hub Set meets your needs but there are some pretty pictures in this thread. http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/can...ts-885527.html

I wish somone would build up a set and post a review because I'm just about ready to build wheels for my 170mm Beargrease.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for the responses, but even the salsa conversion hubs aren't sold with the 10mm skewers. And they don't sell them separately either.

The problem is that everyone is selling the hubs, but no one is selling the thru axles to go with them. The only thing available is the skinny standard skewers which are too flexible.

Scott

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Does anyone who just bought a carbon Beargrease know what kind of quick release they used on the rear hub? Is it a 10mm x 170mm DT Swiss? Maybe one can be ordered as a repair part from Salsa.

Thanks! Scott.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    2014 Salsa Beargrease is 12x177 and the Mukluk owners can change out the rear hub to that and the alternator Plate. That's was a big plus for when I put the money down on the Mukluk2.. This post got me looking for the rear axle and it's not listed on Salsas site. I said a few years a go that we are going to see more and more bikes coming with the 12 x? rear axles even road bikes. I think it would be safe to say that we will start seeing the bigger rear axle skewers after the bikes that are coming with the bigger rear axles get into the shops and into peoples hands as well as the Beargrease fork.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Sorry. I guess the Salsa Conversion Hub Set link wasn't much help. The Salsa website says
    Front and rear conversion end caps included
    135 & 170mm Flip-Off skewers included
    But then above that it says
    Front specific features:
    Convertible 9 x 135mm QR/15 x 142mm Thru-Axle spacing

Rear specific features:
    Convertible 10 x 170mm QR/12 x 177mm Thru-Axle spacing
    So that does that mean the skewers are convertable? I'm new to this so I won't really understand what they're trying to say until I get the hubs in my hands. Fat Conversion Hub Set | Parts & Accessories | Salsa Cycles

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I don't fully understand either, but I'll find out. I'll get back to you.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

So where are the fat bike 10mm or 12mm thru axle bolts/skewers ?????

Quote Originally Posted by sidener View Post
    Everyone is producing fat rear hubs that can accept 10mm and 12mm thru axles (I-9, Salsa, Borealis, etc.). The Beargrease even comes with one. But no where can you buy or even find mention of the bolts or skewers themselves in 170 or 190mm. Not DT Swiss or Maxle or other. What gives? I have been looking for something stiffer then my salsa flip-off skewer for so long. Especially on fat bikes, the need for through axle for the rear is great.

So, as it stands, no one can make use of these great hubs in thru-axle format.

Does anyone have any leads?

Thanks!

Scott
    The through axles should be supplied with the fork/frame.

Note these are NOT through BOLT skewers. The former thread into the fork/frame and do not work with open dropouts.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Quote Originally Posted by FrY10cK View Post
    I don't know if the Salsa Fat Conversion Hub Set meets your needs but there are some pretty pictures in this thread. http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/can...ts-885527.html

I wish somone would build up a set and post a review because I'm just about ready to build wheels for my 170mm Beargrease.
    I've built several sets. What's to review--they're inexpensive (in a relative sense) hubs that will last most people for several years. Unless Salsa 'pulled a Salsa', in which case we'll know in a month or so.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I want some fun bolts!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Unless Salsa 'pulled a Salsa', in which case we'll know in a month or so.
    Awesome!
    The LPG

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    The through axles should be supplied with the fork/frame.

Note these are NOT through BOLT skewers. The former thread into the fork/frame and do not work with open dropouts.
    The 177mm x 12mm thru-axle alternator plate options don't come stock on the Mukluk, what I'm saying is that I don't see a thru-axle on Salsas site for this mod.

Woz
    mtbr member
    My beargrease carbon came with hubs as well as front and rear thru axles. The rear is a 12x177 DT RWS. It was 70.1 grams and was the RWS not the standard flip quick release.

QBP does list the 177 DT Thru axle with a retail of $75, but lists it as not currently available. I also went through the entire 2014 DT parts list from DT direct and they don't even have a part number for the 177 rear. My guess is Salsa had this made specifically for OE by DT and DT will eventually add it to their parts list.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    If DT ever releases that 12x177 RWS you always continue the threads and trim off the end if it's too long.

For the life of me, I can't find a weight on the new salsa hub set?!?! I hope that rear doesn't weigh as much as my current MK 3 hub...

Anyone weigh them yet?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm restarting this thread to see if anyone has an update on the availability of the 12x177 RWS.

Also does anyone have inside knowledge on if RockShox are developing a 12x177 Maxle - surely this is just a matter of time.

turtles make me hot
    I keep emailing DT Swiss about making RWS skewers for fatbikes. They keep saying they have no plans to.
    Everyone light up DT's email. Maybe there's strength in numbers.
    I'd love it if they made 135x9 for the fronts and 190x10 for the rear.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Here is the scoop so far. I bought a 177 x 12 mm DT Swiss TA from AEbikes.com a few weeks back. When it arrived , it was in SALSA packaging. Didn't think much about it until i tried to fit it into my sliding paragon drop outs on my new fatty frame. As it turns out, the DT Swiss RWS made for salsa was made with a 1.5 thread pitch and will not work with traditional paragon drop outs with 1.0 thread pitch.

I have it from a good source that these salsa/dt Swiss pieces WILL work with the shimano /maxel thread style rear drop outs, but I have not been able to confirm that yet with a physical part.

If it works, you will be able to find the entire inventory of DTSwiss/Salsa 1.5 pitch 177 x 12mm TA's at bikeman.com

If it doesn't work it seams to me that it would be easier for paragon machine works to make drive side drop outs with a 1.5 thread pitch than it would be to get DTSwiss to thread their axles in a 1.0 Thread pitch, at least in the near future.

I'll let everyone know what I find out

mtbr member
    I thought maxle was 1.75 mm pitch, and only the shimano was 1.5mm pitch? Syntace and dt are usually 1mm. Interesting to me cos the shimano direct mount paragon slider could be in play ... Interested in what you find out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    You are correct, frame mfg is sending me shimano style NOT maxel.

mtbr member

So where are the fat bike 10mm or 12mm thru axle bolts/skewers ?????

I recently had my wheels built with hope 190 rear and hope 135 front. The end caps from a 135x10 rear fit the rear hub perfect and my guess that the 100x9mm caps would fit the front as well. Called fatback and they said they do not offer the 10 and 9 mm skewers separately from the hubs and don't have plans to do so but he could see them offering them in the future. IMO those puny salsa flip off skewers just don't look like they belong on a fatty with buds and lous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    FWIW, I'm going to be machining up some 157, 177 and 197mm 12mm axles for the Shimano levers. Anyone who wants one, PM me and I'll put you on the list.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have been trying to get the alt. drop outs and 177 thru axle. No one seems to have them QBP was saying 3/15 on the site now it's 4/18? could be pushed back again knowing QBP. So if anyone knows where I can find the set up please post. Thank You!

Quote Originally Posted by smudge View Post
    FWIW, I'm going to be machining up some 157, 177 and 197mm 12mm axles for the Shimano levers. Anyone who wants one, PM me and I'll put you on the list.
    Interested. Curious what you have in mind here--mating a Shimano lever assembly onto a wider thru-axle?

aka bOb
    Interested. Curious what you have in mind here--mating a Shimano lever assembly onto a wider thru-axle?
    Might be interested as well.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Pretty much. I had a chat with Brad about it. He told me that he splices a couple of Shimano 12mm thru axles together but realized that you can pull the QR assembly off the axle. I like them because they work with the Paragon direct mount derailleur hangers and I had been thinking about modifying one for 157mm dropouts for about a year now but haven't had the opportunity yet. After chatting with Brad it seems like a no brainer for fat bikes as well...at least until the DT skewers become more readily available.

BTW, if he's planning on doing this, I'll happily back away from it. If I'm making a few for myself, it won't add much more time to make more for others but I'm certainly not interested in making this a business. I have enough to do.

Pretty much. I had a chat with Brad about it. He told me that he splices a couple of Shimano 12mm thru axles together but realized that you can pull the QR assembly off the axle. I like them because they work with the Paragon direct mount derailleur hangers and I had been thinking about modifying one for 157mm dropouts for about a year now but haven't had the opportunity yet. After chatting with Brad it seems like a no brainer for fat bikes as well...at least until the DT skewers become more readily available.

BTW, if he's planning on doing this, I'll happily back away from it. If I'm making a few for myself, it won't add much more time to make more for others but I'm certainly not interested in making this a business. I have enough to do.
    AFAIK, he made one for his frame and one for mine. Doubt he's gonna make a habit of it.

DT skewers will be nice, but I bet they're still a few months out.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    AFAIK, he made one for his frame and one for mine. Doubt he's gonna make a habit of it.

DT skewers will be nice, but I bet they're still a few months out.
    We had a chat yesterday. Paragon is apparently buying the Shimano heads and will be making their own axles for them but Mark says this is at least six weeks out and he's going to start with one size and then add more as their schedule fits. I just bought 16ft of aluminum stock. I'll make as many as I can with that and then I'm out. Mark can make them faster and cheaper than I can.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by demondan View Post
    I have been trying to get the alt. drop outs and 177 thru axle. No one seems to have them QBP was saying 3/15 on the site now it's 4/18? could be pushed back again knowing QBP. So if anyone knows where I can find the set up please post. Thank You!
    I just got hit with this. I have a rear hub that needs that thru axle to build up my new Mukluk. It is the last piece that I need, so the delay of a month really sucks. If it is only a month.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bowtiguy View Post
    Here is the scoop so far. I bought a 177 x 12 mm DT Swiss TA from AEbikes.com a few weeks back. When it arrived , it was in SALSA packaging. Didn't think much about it until i tried to fit it into my sliding paragon drop outs on my new fatty frame. As it turns out, the DT Swiss RWS made for salsa was made with a 1.5 thread pitch and will not work with traditional paragon drop outs with 1.0 thread pitch.

I have it from a good source that these salsa/dt Swiss pieces WILL work with the shimano thread style rear drop outs, but I have not been able to confirm that yet with a physical part.

If it works, you will be able to find the entire inventory of DTSwiss/Salsa 1.5 pitch 177 x 12mm TA's at bikeman.com

If it doesn't work it seams to me that it would be easier for paragon machine works to make drive side drop outs with a 1.5 thread pitch than it would be to get DTSwiss to thread their axles in a 1.0 Thread pitch, at least in the near future.

I'll let everyone know what I find out
    CONFIRMED! The current Salsa packaged/DT swiss made 12mm X 177mm TA does in fact work with the shimano style drop out from paragon ( using the shimano nut). Just add $38 to the total cost of this set up to buy a shimano SM-AX65 "e-thru lever axle", pull off the nut and install it on your drive side paragon drop out.

Extra parts to use/loose, but until either paragon threads the drive side to match or DT threads its axles to current paragon standards, looks like the only retail option for now.

I'll snap some pics today and post later.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Do you have a ride report and photos. I'm interested in your set up as my understanding is that DT Swiss has a different thread pitch from Shimano which means that the parts are not interchangeable.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    No ride report yet, the axles DT Swiss made for salsa DO have the same thread pitch as the shimano axles. Standard DT axles do not.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    No ride report yet, the axles DT Swiss made for salsa DO have the same thread pitch as the shimano axles. Standard DT axles do not.
    Good to know! Please don't forget to post photos

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    here are a couple shots of the set-up. This is through my gold Hope EVO hub. salsa hub on my deep snow wheelset works too of course.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So where are the fat bike 10mm or 12mm thru axle bolts/skewers ?????-untitled.jpg  

So where are the fat bike 10mm or 12mm thru axle bolts/skewers ?????-untitled3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Here is the DT swiss 177mm X 12mm RWS axle in the salsa packaging as it came to me.

Paragon drop out part number is...B4028

https://www.paragonmachineworks.com/...tion&key=B4028
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So where are the fat bike 10mm or 12mm thru axle bolts/skewers ?????-img_3001.jpg  

So where are the fat bike 10mm or 12mm thru axle bolts/skewers ?????-img_3000.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Very cool! Thanks for taking the time to take some photos and post.

In case anyone is interested in this solution, the Shimano nut is available on its own - part # Y27Y02000. However I talked to Shimano and they said that they are not going to have it in stock until around the October time frame.

Clueless Bastard
    Here is the DT swiss 177mm X 12mm RWS axle in the salsa packaging as it came to me.

Paragon drop out part number is...B4028

https://www.paragonmachineworks.com/...tion&key=B4028
    Rep to BowTiGuy!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolling In Peace View Post
    Do you have a ride report and photos. I'm interested in your set up as my understanding is that DT Swiss has a different thread pitch from Shimano which means that the parts are not interchangeable.
    Ride report...SOLID! I've done three rides on this set-up since completing the build. Absolutely no noticeable rear end frame flex. Get out of the saddle and dance on the pedals fun. Running Lou on a Shoe mounted to a Ti O beast frame ( w/ sliders of course) and I have an easy 1/4 to 3/8" clearance on each lower chainstays. Got everything I wanted in a fatty now..

1) 170mm crank rear hub = low Q factor
    2) Bud/Lou mounted to shoes
    3) AND running 1X10 ..... 30 up front and 11-40 in the rear!

Just wish I could have got another .5-1" in ETT, but the layback post and stem make it fit well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Welnic, did you ever find the Alt drop out kit? it's 4/18 and QBP pushed the date back again...Really want to build my MUKLUK.

Clueless Bastard
    Universal Cycles now has the Salsa skewers listed in their part inventory, but looks like they only have the front in stock, nada on the rear.

Universal Cycles -- Salsa DT Swiss RWS Thru Bolt Skewers

mtbr member
    When I had my wheels built at LaceMine29 Mike C said that he thought I would have trouble getting the thru-axle. So I got both the thru-axle and QR end caps for my rear hub and it's getting built up with the QR until I can get the thru-axle.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    I have one 177 thru rear and two 142x15 front Salsa/DT skewers available.

I'll also have some 197 thru's with Shimano heads in a few days. I'll put up an ad to keep the higher ups happy but get in touch if you have an immediate need.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    A 197 thru I spun up for myself just now

Project of the afternoon, 197mm thru axle by VertigoCycles, on Flickr

Clueless Bastard

DT Swiss Thru Bolt Skewers - Available

Quote Originally Posted by WA-CO View Post
    Universal Cycles now has the Salsa skewers listed in their part inventory, but looks like they only have the front in stock, nada on the rear.

Universal Cycles -- Salsa DT Swiss RWS Thru Bolt Skewers
    Just got an email update these are available.

Front fits 142mm x 15mm fork with 1.5mm Thread Pitch
    Rear Fits 177mm x 12mm Frame with 1.5mm Thread Pitch

Looks like they are $75 each. : (

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    PMW has 177 x 12 custom modded Shimano TAs available on their website. Only 5 left.

Shimano 177 x 12 mm Skewer for Fat Bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    So where are the fat bike 10mm or 12mm thru axle bolts/skewers ?????-image.jpg
    I have a 197 rear and am in need of a thru axle anyone have an update on a lead
    197 x 12
    It's a onyx rear hub I had made up one off
    Thanks

mtbr member
    You need to get a thru axle that fits your frame. Hubs don't come with thru axles because there isn't a standard for dropouts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I understand that
    I saw in this thread that a few guys were machining their own and was wondering if anyone had one available

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by nikj View Post
    I understand that
    I saw in this thread that a few guys were machining their own and was wondering if anyone had one available
    Welnic is right you need to know the thread pitch or brand that your frame uses. If you need a Shimano one Paragon has em.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The frame is not threaded
    Just looking for a 197 by 12 rear thru axle
    Looked like smudge machined some that had the threads on the axle so it used a locking nut on the end

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by nikj View Post
    The frame is not threaded
    Just looking for a 197 by 12 rear thru axle
    Looked like smudge machined some that had the threads on the axle so it used a locking nut on the end
    That is prolly the Shimano axle. Look at the paragon machine works web sight, They come with the nut.

aka bOb

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Damnit!! I just want a 10mm bolt-thru for the rear, and 9mm bolt-thru for the front of my 170mm spaced 9:ZERO:7!!!!

What is so hard about making this happen?

mtbr member
    and maxxle in 197mm now? a la borealis? interesting...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Damnit!! I just want a 10mm bolt-thru for the rear, and 9mm bolt-thru for the front of my 170mm spaced 9:ZERO:7!!!!

What is so hard about making this happen?
    ugh time wasted scouring the internet looking for 190x10 and 135x9 for my 9zero7 Anything yet?

All fat, all the time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Hey all
    Where might I get a 12x177 1.0 pitch with a cool QR or rws?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by riding4fun View Post
    Hey all
    Where might I get a 12x177 1.0 pitch with a cool QR or rws?
    www.paragonmachineworks.com - DT004DTSwissRWS177x12mmRearSkewer

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks - I will need to check it's 1.0 pitch, but that is a good deal if works.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    You guys are making this too hard. I have through axles (bolt ons) 10 mm size on my Pug. The LBS had them on hand---all they are is threaded bar stock. Any machine shop, heck even the local community college shop, can thread the bar stock for you in a matter of minutes. Check with your LBS, if they don't have it, get to a machine shop and have it made.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by loneviking View Post
    You guys are making this too hard. I have through axles (bolt ons) 10 mm size on my Pug. The LBS had them on hand---all they are is threaded bar stock. Any machine shop, heck even the local community college shop, can thread the bar stock for you in a matter of minutes. Check with your LBS, if they don't have it, get to a machine shop and have it made.
    That's great in theory if you have those resources to hand, or if a local machine shop will accept a small job like that and get round to it in less than a month or so. I know because I had exactly that hassle, and ended up getting mine from Paragon.

As for 12mm, I bought some suitable material, but the actual size needed to fit inside the hub is actually less - about 11.88mm if I remember right. OK if you have a lathe to hand, but not the sort of thing I fancy bodging at home.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Thanks - I will need to check it's 1.0 pitch, but that is a good deal if works.
    The drawing says that it is, you can always email Paragon, they were quick to respond when I did

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducman View Post
    The drawing says that it is, you can always email Paragon, they were quick to respond when I did
    Sweet!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Ok - got the Axle, but there is not enough threads 15mm worth, but I need 20mm or more. They will not custom build one or cut more threads, so sending it back.

Any where else to source a more custom axle with a RWS handle?

All fat, all the time.
    Ok - got the Axle, but there is not enough threads 15mm worth, but I need 20mm or more. They will not custom build one or cut more threads, so sending it back.

Any where else to source a more custom axle with a RWS handle?
    Why not find a local machine shop to cut more threads?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    that's what I thought, but figured if Paragon won't do it there must be a reason. May liability for them? Might go for the local Mach Shop if all else fails.
    Trying to find the handle first.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Send a message to this friendly Russian guy on ebay:
    anemchinov2012
    and he will machine you a 21cm long M10 titanium rear axle at a reasonable price. Add some low-profile nuts and spacers and Hope pro II evo or other 10mm thru axle end caps and you are good to go with a light weight axle.
    Tony

mtbr member
    Jun 2018

Can you make one of these in 190 x 12??

A 197 thru I spun up for myself just now

Project of the afternoon, 197mm thru axle by VertigoCycles, on Flickr

wow that looks beautiful. Do you sell these??

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by YnotGorilla View Post
    Send a message to this friendly Russian guy on ebay:
    anemchinov2012
    and he will machine you a 21cm long M10 titanium rear axle at a reasonable price. Add some low-profile nuts and spacers and Hope pro II evo or other 10mm thru axle end caps and you are good to go with a light weight axle.
    Tony
    Tony I guess i'm clueless finding vendors on Ebay, do you have a link to the products he sells or his email..

Thanks

ricky