So what exactly IS the issue with bar ends?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Good job! So what exactly IS the issue with bar ends?

I'm sure this is going to bring out the bike snobs so forgive me but..

What exactly is the issue with bar ends? Back in the days of my Kona Explosif with Project Two's there was nothing better at moving my weight uphill than my X Lite Stubbies.

The ergonomic positioning of a bar end makes long or short hacks up and across technical terrain a more controlled process - I found myself doing it again today, palms and hands resting in the lateral position whilst tracking my fattie through snow uphill. Wth a little extra weight forward, and the purchase afforded by grabbing 'forward' on the bar ends, my progress uphill would have been that much more efficient.

I would be be interested to hear your thoughts but right now if people are bolting bags and other gubbins onto their FB's I think no one will mind if I bolt a pair of X Lites onto mine - .. Anyone know where I can get a pair?

mtbr member
    Trust me, I have a beard and gray hair.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Its a little know fact that all bar ends are made from baby elephant tusks. Some people may object to that.

mtbr member
    If they work for and you like them who cares what the "bike snobs" (loaded word around here) think. Actually bar ends are starting to pop up again under different names and in pared down versions. Check out Ergon grips with incorporated bar ends - models GP 2, 3, 4, and 5. Then there is a minimalist inboard version called Togs which are advertised right here on mtbr. I have Ergon GP2s on my Mukluk and like them quite a bit for all the reasons you mentioned.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    I use the ergons and love them. I'd say the decline of bar ends has more to do with marketing whims than anything. Now we've got the thumbies things. Who knows. If you like something, do it and f-off to anyone who's got a problem with it is what I say.

All fat, all the time.
    Use what ever you need to get the job done. Just make sure they are anodized purple

There have been rides where I wished I had an alternate hand position like that. (long gravel sections , slow extended climbs etc)

The only bike accessory that is not needed is a bad attitude.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I love the Ergon ones personally. though I haven't used them in a long time. For me, I took 'em off when I put my first fat bike on a scale and thought DAMNNN

Then I switched to gripshift and they didn't make the ones I liked gripshift compatible so I just stopped using them altogether. Plus there's that whole "Are they safe for carbon bar use" debate thing.

bigger than you.
    I have a set of Phorm grips that are made by Ergon, that incorporate a stubby bar end of sorts. I use them for winter riding only, then in the spring, I switch to ESI Super Chunky grips. My main reasons are A. They grab vegetation, particularly vines and have caused a few somewhat painful crashes. Ironically, they've also protected my hands from trees, but... B. They're heavy, the grips weigh a little over a half pound. C. My local racing org forbids bar ends. There's some gray area as to whether these are really bar ends, but i'd rather not be scrutinized over it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Use what ever you need to get the job done. Just make sure they are anodized purple
    Hey, want a set? Cheap! I'll include the lizard skins covers too! I've got the Trek 7000 to match. So much purple bling!!

aka bOb
    What the h#ll do bar ends have to do with bike sn*bs. Use whatever you want. I am going to start throwing out neg rep every time I see those words used inappropriately from now on.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    What the h#ll do bar ends have to do with bike sn*bs. Use whatever you want. I am going to start throwing out neg rep every time I see those words used inappropriately from now on.
    Some nob end (scuse pun) from the bike shop I used to buy stuff from in Battersea started it - talk to him and the countless others who said you cannot use bar ends with riser bars.

mtbr member
    I still use bar ends on some bikes but not on others. My "issue" with them is that they are rally only effective with narrowish bars. ON a couple of older bikes I still run 580mm (23") wide bars. With these "narrow" bars I rally like bar ends. However, with ride bars the bar ends don't put me in a position that I particularly like, and bars with lots of sweep and bar ends put my hands in a position that I strongly dislike.

Ride what is comfortable to you. It may or may not be bar ends.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

So what exactly IS the issue with bar ends?

You can get yourself snagged on a tree..
    2019 SANTA CRUZ HIGHBALL CC (Custom Built)
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Bar Ends can be just the ticket. Seriously.

Now it is going to deteriorate. .

Bar ends, middles, and mitzvahs are all good. Get a 710 Jones Loop, in either alloy or Ti, find your neighborhood psycho with a TIG Welder (If you live in Juneau AK, PM me for an address), and lube said psycho with something appropriate, and you can have any kind of Ends you want.

Do not bring me carbon bars to weld. I sure haven't figured that out yet.

Seriously, again. Do what you want, and ride it. If you break something, so what? Fix it and ride again.

Cheers
    Kevin

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by bapski View Post
    You can get yourself snagged on a tree..
    Or you could smash your knuckles into a tree. Either way you screwed up. I've mostly ridden with barends for a long time on all manner of tight, techy trails and I only recall once being stopped by snagging the bar end on a vine. On the other hand, I've used the outside of bar ends to glance off of trees, stay on the bike and save my knuckles. L or J bend barends, you would have to have the tree aiming for your pointer finger to get it to snag on the bar end.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Charger H View Post
    Some nob end (scuse pun) from the bike shop I used to buy stuff from in Battersea started it - talk to him and the countless others who said you cannot use bar ends with riser bars.
    You get some pos just for being creative Who was that dude on here that had like 6 sets of em on his pugsley, looked like friggen Bullwinkle? Suba maybe?

mtbr member
    local regional studs still use them. they win races with them. that's why i still use them. maybe i'll win because i have them.

who cares what the dude in the parking lot says about your bar ends. don't offer him a beer after the ride. see if he snubs your ends then.

sluice box
    #bikesnob:
    ewww you use bar ends, like wow, So basic. My mains itz Loop bars and H-bars are like v.g.'s.
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I put bar ends on my fatbike so that I could attach my BarMitts to the handlebars. The Ergon grips I had did not have any place secure for the attachment and I had bar ends in my spare parts box.
    Ofcourse the ends are currently pointed downwards in a completely unusable position so that the mitts fit.

Craig

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

So what exactly IS the issue with bar ends?

If you decide to run bar ends, get the really long ones and flip them up perpendicular to your handlebar, so your hands are about 5 inches away from your brakes. Then make a quick run down to the liquor store for a 40.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    ....do what makes you feel good when you ride...I like 'em...I have not found ones I want on my new Pug...ride, smile, have a beer, repeat.

mtbr member
    A parallel position for your grips makes a lot of sense.

Which is why I like drop bars.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

All fat, all the time.
    Can you run drop bars upsidedown?

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    ...bars with lots of sweep and bar ends put my hands in a position that I strongly dislike.
    Oh come on. Bar ends on my 20 deg sweepy bars are the shiz

Elitest thrill junkie
    Wider bars have made them less popular, as the wider bar puts you into a similar "high leverage" position, then you add to the fact that fatbikes benefit even more from wide bars due to how difficult it is to accelerate without standing and the difficulty of keeping the wheel going straight on narrow snow-singletracks (where a slight error in your piloting causes your wheel to move too far to one side and wash out).

Nothing "wrong" with barends persay, but modern geometry (wider bars and shorter stems) makes them a bit redundant.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Wider bars have made them less popular, as the wider bar puts you into a similar "high leverage" position, then you add to the fact that fatbikes benefit even more from wide bars due to how difficult it is to accelerate without standing and the difficulty of keeping the wheel going straight on narrow snow-singletracks (where a slight error in your piloting causes your wheel to move too far to one side and wash out).

Nothing "wrong" with barends persay, but modern geometry (wider bars and shorter stems) makes them a bit redundant.
    Not even close. Advantages of bar ends vs wider bars:

-Change hand positions on long rides. It makes a huge difference.

-Wrists have more mobility bending forward and back than side to side. Standing, climbing, you rock the bike side to side, bar ends offer a more ergonomic forearm-wrist-hand orientation. Likewise for most riding, especially tech, regular handlebar grip positions are ideal for most people.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    You get some pos just for being creative Who was that dude on here that had like 6 sets of em on his pugsley, looked like friggen Bullwinkle? Suba maybe?
    Who Me?

Purpose 1 - so I can turn the bike upside down on boggy ground and keep the controls out of the mud. It keeps it stable upside down and my controls clean. I put them on for a 24 hour race in case I needed to fix a puncture etc, and have left them there. They only go on my bog bikes.

Purpose 2 - very useful for keeping an air gap around your knuckles in pogies (accidental discovery).

Purpose 3 - in case I get into a fight with an angry stag, these are my antlers. Haven't tested this yet, maybe one of you guys could be the guinea pig.

What they don't get used for is as a hand grip.

mtbr member
    Eh, if you're a new rider they're dangerous as hell.

If you know what you're doing it becomes a manageable risk. If you ride long enough that you need them, you generally get the bike handling to make them not dangerous.

But still, there's always that one time, and I'd rather bang a knuckle and keep going than get clotheslined and hit the trail like a ton of bricks.

My Ergons may not offer as many hand positions as bar ends, but they work well enough for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Nothing "wrong" with barends persay, but modern geometry (wider bars and shorter stems) makes them a bit redundant.[/QUOTE]

I was willing to take this idea for my Carbon Rocky Element where speeds are much higher and there is little torque steer from tires. In fat bikes, however, these aggravating factors would appear to give relevance to the long 'obsolete' bar end - redundant, not so sure - the lateral position allows progress to be less inhibited by directional leverage. But that's just my opinion.. I'm on the hunt for a pair that can be bolted into the end of the bar as opposed to wrap around it as I don't want to move grips brakes levers inwards - that in itself gives credibility to your point about the increased control with riser bars - I just want to be able to have my cake and eat it too ..

Thanks for your comments - very informative!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach View Post

-Wrists have more mobility bending forward and back than side to side. Standing, climbing, you rock the bike side to side, bar ends offer a more ergonomic forearm-wrist-hand orientation. Likewise for most riding, especially tech, regular handlebar grip positions are ideal for most people.
    Too bloody right mate.

banned
    Sep 2008
    hey OP, 1991's on the phone

bar ends=bwaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!!!

carry on........

rog

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post

carry on........

rog
    Hey Rog , LOL..! I have found a pair of matching shoulder pads and perm to really get into it - just let your ! SOUL GLO !

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by Charger H View Post
    I'm sure this is going to bring out the bike snobs so forgive me but....
    Bar ends are the big toe of a fatbike...Straw man on fire!

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Late to the party, but I never liked bar ends, even when they were popular.

Extra weight, more crap to catch on stuff, crushing the ends of your bars should you crash, etc. All the usual arguments.

I will say though, I really like the new school class of them. The Cane Creek "turds", Cateye made some funky ones similar, but a T off the end of the bar, as opposed to an extension purely off the front? That works really well ergonomically.

Of course, all of this assumes proper set up angle. When I see them used as "height extenders" or "reach reducers" (yes, usually on Walgoose Specials) I'm unsure if I just want to cry, or try to educate the rider on how dangerous their set up could prove ....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So what exactly IS the issue with bar ends?-bar_ends.jpg  

This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Elitest thrill junkie

Yes, close, because I said less popular, not obsolete. As far as long rides, I'd rather have some tri/aero extensions near the stem to lean on, be a better change IMO. I agree with mendon that there are better solutions, compare to the big 10" long monstrosities people were rocking back in the day.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post

carry on........

rog
    No no no, you're not allowed to make fun, Mr. No suspension or dropper post.

lol

I was mostly referring to your "modern geometry makes them a bit redundant." statement. Wide bars offer none of the real advantages of bar ends. People claimed that they opened up your chest to facilitate breathing, but that claim was always a bit snake oily. Tri/aero extensions would be great on the road, of really little use off road.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Wide bars offer none of the real advantages of bar ends.
    The absolutely do. Leverage.

But now I have to go ride.

mtbr member
    Whilst a newbie and on a 29er HT I had bar ends... They saved my hands on several occasions... Now that I'm rollin an AM steed and I'm hopefully a better rider (could all be bike you know), I don't see the need for them.

Whatever works ;-)

-------------------------------------
    Opinions are like A-holes... everybody
    has one & they're usually full of...??
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    ...Wrists have more mobility bending forward and back than side to side. Standing, climbing, you rock the bike side to side, bar ends offer a more ergonomic forearm-wrist-hand orientation. Likewise for most riding, especially tech, regular handlebar grip positions are ideal for most people.
    I was thinking about this the other day when I was riding on my bike with wide bars.

I don't think the wide bars give me better power than hauling on my narrower drop bar (ie parallel grips like bar ends). It's counter intuitive, because there is an obvious long lever with the wide bar.

However, the drop bar allows the arm to be kept closer to the body and more use to be made of core strength, and for me that seems to give better climbing. It also means the bike can be narrower for tight stuff. Watching folk climbing steep stuff with wide bars, you can often see the bike being cranked over dramatically from side to side, and I suspect there is a lot of thrust lost that way.

There is an analogy in that sometimes it is better to use shorter cranks because of the bio-mechanics of your body.

And once upon a time the fastest vehicle on our roads used parallel grips

http://media.brisbanetimes.com.au/ne...y-6303671.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    The absolutely do. Leverage.

But now I have to go ride.
    Leverage is not one of the main advantages of bar ends. It's more like a side effect. Ergonomics, moving your weight forward to keep the front wheel down and varied hand positions are bar ends purposes.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Ergonomics, moving your weight forward to keep the front wheel down
    sounds like an improper bike fit and too slack of a head angle issue to me

rog

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The problem with bar ends is they generally don't break, so once everybody who wanted them bought them, the craze was over. Some new marketing genius is coming up with ways as we speak to convince everyone that they are cool and useful again, even though they never really became useless. Bar ends are like anything else on a bike- they are personal preference.
    "Wait- I am confused" - SDMTB'er

Perpetual n00b
    I have seen the light...

Makes standing climbs feel like I'm running up stairs. It's almost effortless.

Wide bars do not offer the same ergonomic or leverage benefits as bar ends. Totally different body positions and muscle groups in use.
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I have the Ergon GS2 3 finger bar end grips on my GT Sensor and wouldn't ride it without them, they are great for climbing and make for a more comfortable wrist position for my 6'4" clydesdale frame.

They're so small there isn't much chance of them getting hung up on anything either.

I'm thinking about getting another set for the Silverback Double-Scoop I just pre-ordered, though i'll give the stock grips a try first.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by WSUPolar View Post
    Hey, want a set? Cheap! I'll include the lizard skins covers too! I've got the Trek 7000 to match. So much purple bling!!
    What bar ends are they? I am interested.
    Drink beer. 'Merica!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    ...Makes standing climbs feel like I'm running up stairs. It's almost effortless. Wide bars do not offer the same ergonomic or leverage benefits as bar ends. Totally different body positions and muscle groups in use.
    Interesting...

mtbr member
    My Mukluk wears some vintage Salsa Mangoes de Amor bar ends. I like the extra places to put my hands.
    Technology dragass

bigger than you.
    I have seen the light...

Makes standing climbs feel like I'm running up stairs. It's almost effortless.

Wide bars do not offer the same ergonomic or leverage benefits as bar ends. Totally different body positions and muscle groups in use.
    Don, we need to talk, bro. I'm concerned.

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    Don, we need to talk, bro. I'm concerned.
    Hey the bike came with all that green ****, okay? lol
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hey the bike came with all that green ****, okay? lol
    The green makes it a little easier to follow some of that cable-routing...

mtbr member
    A friend was riding in the woods last summer, his fatty had wide bars and bar ends, he rode "too close" to the trees and his right bar-end snagged a branch - and he fell.

I think that's about the only disadvantage I see regarding bar-ends ... other than that, they're a big help. The ability to change hand positions is great.

cheers!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by diffy View Post
    A friend was riding in the woods last summer, his fatty had wide bars and bar ends, he rode "too close" to the trees and his right bar-end snagged a branch - and he fell.

I think that's about the only disadvantage I see regarding bar-ends ... other than that, they're a big help. The ability to change hand positions is great.

cheers!
    Look like a bike from the 90s as well
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

Rippin da fAt
    I will stick to my trialsy bars and blow off the grips with wads on 'em. The old bar ends I dropped off at Gear Exchnge rather than dropping them in the recycle bin.
    It dropped the weight of my bike 100 mg to eliminate 'em for non-use.

Like many said, if they work for ya, enjoy.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I rode bar ends back in the day and never caught them on anything, or even thought about that. No actual disadvantages that I can think of. They really helped on longer riders though, and seemed to open up my lungs a bit to recover after a climb.

That said with the new wider bars I don't think I'll be running them

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Great for a different hand position and grip. I have then on my commuter and touring bikes.