SnowCat Rims- Mtbr.com

Thread: SnowCat Rims

mtbr member

SnowCat Rims

I tried to call them yesterday and got a machine with a guys name. No reference to any company name. I left a message and did not hear back. Has anyone had any actual contact with them in the recent past?

Are they still producing 26 650 and 29er rims? Are they single are double wall? They say "they weigh" 700g. I assume they mean the 26er rim. Any figures on the others?

Just a little investment with a web designer and they could make the purchase/ information process a lot easier. If they are even still in business.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    All weather sports in Fairbanks AK. Looks like they're website is still up. They're single wall rims. I think Weinman made the 1st generation (I've still got one pair of the originals (un-built) but I'd like to hang on to them). I don't know who was making the later model. I liked the 1st ones better. They were better quality IMO and stayed true longer.

Edit: Just looked over they're site... looks like pretty old info there w/ no recent updates. I'd surf the web a bit. SC's are only 44mm wide, lots wide rim choices out there now... I can remember when the Snow Cat was "It"!
    Last edited by ward; 03-22-2012 at 08:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Thanks Ward. Hopefully someone has more recent direct experience, if there is direct experience still to be had. I'm looking for wide (close to 50mm) 29er and 650b rims and for that there really isn't much out there. Holm sells 29er and I contacted him about 650 but he didn't reply.

I'm always looking for things that no one makes and when I ask if they can do something special they always say no, or more often just say nothing. What I really need is a line to the people who actually make stuff and not to the people who just sell stuff. Building frames and adapter to make odd experimental things I can handle but something like rims I don't even know where to start.

mtbr member

Long gone

All Weather sports is long gone.

Simon, the owner sold Snow Cats for a few years after the shop disappeared, but even back in the mid 2000s they were near impossible to get.

We sold 50 mm rims to take the place of the Snowcats for a few years. Might be worth a call to the Anchorage Speedway shop to see if they have any or post on the AK forum to see if anyone has some used Snowcats.

If weight isnít an issue, Web Cyclery has similar width trials rims in 26.

The Snow Cats were single wall and a super loose fit.

P

mtbr member
    last I heard Simon has gotten weinman to do another run, much better quality than the 2nd gen rims...I believe he is working at Beaver Sports in Fairbanks.
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Simon has a new website that looks like it was just copied and pasted from AWS. (so much that this link parses to AWS All Weather Sports: Winter Cycling
    He responds to emails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coldbike View Post
    Simon has a new website that looks like it was just copied and pasted from AWS. (so much that this link parses to AWS All Weather Sports: Winter Cycling
    He responds to emails.
    Thanks. I just sent him an email. Hope he responds.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Try Beaver Sports in Fairbanks - Beaver Sports , (907) 479-2494 ask for the bike shop. They should have some snow cats if any are available.

mtbr member
    Looks like they do list them as part of their stock. Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by modifier View Post
    Looks like they do list them as part of their stock. Thanks
    I've been looking for these. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    At one point I am pretty sure Velocity was or maybe still is making them. I have been at their warehouse and saw a rack of them there - and a buddy of mine who works there built up a set of them to use on his 29er.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatty In Hamilton View Post
    At one point I am pretty sure Velocity was or maybe still is making them. I have been at their warehouse and saw a rack of them there - and a buddy of mine who works there built up a set of them to use on his 29er.
    Yes that is true. So how did you buddy like them? Like the width? Any pics?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    He liked them quite a bit. He had a set of 2.5" downhill tires on them. It was on a GF Superfly - clearance was tight but better than the other options out there.... i can ask him to take some pics. It seemed like a good option though

Members who have read this thread: 2