mtbr member

Snow level question

Im riding in Big Bear, Ca on Monday. They got 6" of show a couple days ago. Trying to decide if I want to bring the Fatbikes, or regular MTBs....

Suggestions?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Really depends on temps and conditions. Has it been warm since? If so, the snow has probably mostly melted off and is now mud (which could be considered death by trail riding if caught in CO). If the temps have stayed at or below freezing, then it is possible the snow has compacted and could be hero snow for fat bike tires. Or if it has compacted by other users and also about/below freezing, then it could be ice.

That's the awesome part about fat biking, the conditions always change... changing up how the trail is.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Here's the thing about fatbikes, they work just fine if there's no snow.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    True! But my fatbike is 15 pounds heavier than my trail bike, and Iíll be 7000 feet higher in elevation than Iím used too...

one chain, two sprockets
    Sep 2008
    You have a 15lb trail bike?

All fat, all the time.
    6" of snow is melting that quick?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    6" of snow is melting that quick?
    In Arizona, we'd get snow all the time in the winter, but the high altitude (low pressure) combined with the sun would sublimate the snow in a matter of hours, so a 6" dump wasn't uncommon, but it could be gone in a matter of hours.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by one piece crank View Post
    You have a 15lb trail bike?
    Lol. No. But I have a 49 pound fatbike.

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by blown240 View Post
    Lol. No. But I have a 49 pound fatbike.
    You should work on that

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If I had a 49 pound fatbike I wouldn't take it anywhere.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    I bought my first 26" Fat Bike on a whim for ~$300,
    Just a cheap steel Schwinn Biggity 6 speed that weighed in at ~46 pounds
    It's only good for running to the store on dry pavement or with light snow and no hills.

Just a slight grade increase and pushing against a mere 5" of fresh snow is too much even for the lowest gear lol. Off Road?...Never!

My next bike purchase was much larger (and 11 pounds lighter) 27.5" Trek Farley 7
    With a 1x11 that felt more like my old Marin trail bike and the studded Gnarwhals make it unstoppable all year round.
    I know it's still pretty heavy (not tubeless yet) and the 5 pound Mastodon isn't much use in Winter...but its a featherweight after pushing the old tank.

mtbr member
    Iím currently saving for a new fatbike, probably something like a ice cream truck. My current fat bike has the gearing and brakes I need to go up and down the hill, but my point for starting this thread was to get some input on how much snow you need on the ground before itís better to take the fatbike...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by blown240 View Post
    Iím currently saving for a new fatbike, probably something like a ice cream truck. My current fat bike has the gearing and brakes I need to go up and down the hill, but my point for starting this thread was to get some input on how much snow you need on the ground before itís better to take the fatbike...

I rode skinny bikes on snow back in the day, IME, as soon as there's a bit of snow, they are not very fun in the turns, you stop being able to exert any pressure and they will constantly "wipe out". You can ride them in a straight line ok and zero to a few inches is ok, but unless we are talking just a dusting like .5", you stop being able to ride the skinny tire mountain bike like a mountain bike. The fat-bike on the other hand, you can get a lot more aggressive with due to the bigger contact patch and ride it much more like a "mountain bike". Ruts suck.

mtbr member
    Perfect! Thanks for the reply. We will take the fatbikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    We only got 2"-4" of snow and some of that has melted since. You will most likely encounter some snow sections but there is a lot of open dirt.
    Just remember, it's going to be cold, 35 for the high today, I think a little warmer tomorrow.
    EXODUX Jeff