Smaller chainring for Truvativ/SRAM?- Mtbr.com
    Luddite technophile

Smaller chainring for Truvativ/SRAM?

My 95 lb wife just got a new carbon Mukluk for Christmas. I'd like to get her a smaller chainring, but I'm not really up to date on fat bike chainrings, alignment issues. etc. It has a TRUVATIV STYLO 6K AL EAGLE DUB (12 speed) crankset. The current chainring says 4mm offset on it.

Can anyone direct me to which chainring might be appropriate? SRAM doesn't seem to make anything smaller than 30T, or if they do I haven't found it.

Thanks in advance.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Did you try wolftooth and 1up? Sram standard offsets are 0, 3 and 6mm I believe, but 3 would be pretty close to 4 and probably no issues would come from it.

As far as smaller, that's already pretty small. A few people do go smaller though, but you aren't gaining much just dropping say 2 teeth. I would recommend going to a 50t rear cassette, that would probably be a better setup if you aren't already there. As far as going smaller on the front, you can, some people do, success is not guaranteed when operating outside of the mfr suggested gear range, sometimes issues like dropping the chain or it auto-shifting when backpedaling come up.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Luddite technophile
    She's already at 50 in the back, so I can't change that. Autoshifting is definitely a drawback though. She can manage as is, but lower would probably still be nice. Her 30 lb bike would be like a 60 lb bike for me (bike:body weight).

I looked at her chainring again, and it actually says "-4mm offset", not 4mm offset. I don't know if that's opposite most, or if everything is "-" and it's taken for granted. (It looks like teeth are shifted outboard.)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kgginslc View Post
    She's already at 50 in the back, so I can't change that. Autoshifting is definitely a drawback though. She can manage as is, but lower would probably still be nice. Her 30 lb bike would be like a 60 lb bike for me (bike:body weight).

I looked at her chainring again, and it actually says "-4mm offset", not 4mm offset. I don't know if that's opposite most, or if everything is "-" and it's taken for granted. (It looks like teeth are shifted outboard.)
    Huh. They made a fatbike ring.

My farley has a normal 6mm ring on backwards so it dishes outwards.

What bike is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

Elitest thrill junkie
    I'll just leave with this then. It's conditioning mostly and switching a few teeth up or down doesn't make a big difference. It doesn't make you able to climb a whole bunch of stuff you could not before. If you go the other way, make it harder, in about 2 weeks you'll be climbing 99% of the same stuff just fine and the other 1% will come in another 2 weeks. I used to climb up some crazy steep hills with 32x11-36 cassettes and then I switched to a 42t rear cog. Didn't make me faster and my body "adjusted" relatively quickly. I'm not saying there's no benefit, but when we are talking marginal changes at the extreme end of the gear range, as in this case, the change is mostly in our minds and our body will compensate. If pedaling the bike is a major obstacle to riding right now, I have doubts that a minimal change on one side is going to change that.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I think the Juliana is standard with a 28. It's not a fat bike so the offset may be different. Worth asking our Santa Cruz dealer if there is one in town.

When the girlfriend got her bike, that was when I learned of the direct mount rings and how they can easily be made smaller. Maybe at that time I thought the 30 ring was small. Still worth the question though.

since 4/10/2009
    Is the current ring a 30t? You never actually said.

30-50 is a pretty low gearing as it is, but Wolftooth will go down to 26t if you want that.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...or-sram-cranks

Luddite technophile
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Is the current ring a 30t? You never actually said.

30-50 is a pretty low gearing as it is, but Wolftooth will go down to 26t if you want that.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...or-sram-cranks
    Yes it's a 30. I'll check out the wolftooth - thanks.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by kgginslc View Post
    Yes it's a 30. I'll check out the wolftooth - thanks.
    Also, going that small, you probably want the steel chainrings by wolftooth, because going smaller than 30 or 32 puts a lot more wear on the chainring, why old granny gears were made of steel and why only the largest gear on the sram cassettes is made of aluminum.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I've been running a 26t 11-42 on all my bikes since I got fat bikes. It was the closest gearing that a 22t 11-36 gave me. Pleased and will never go back. I do find that on short steep hills that I'm at the 36 cog, but on long sustained hills I love the 42 cog with the 26t chainring.
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpyride View Post
    I've been running a 26t 11-42 on all my bikes since I got fat bikes. It was the closest gearing that a 22t 11-36 gave me. Pleased and will never go back. I do find that on short steep hills that I'm at the 36 cog, but on long sustained hills I love the 42 cog with the 26t chainring.
    26x42 = 31x50

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by HollyBoni View Post
    26x42 = 31x50
    Absolutely.

For me it was easier to change the chainring and keep all wheelsets the same, and at the time when I converted to 10 speed it was only one-up that offered a 42t cog. Lately I wondered how my existing rear derailleurs would act going up to 50t cog, so I'm stuck in the not really that long ago age.
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.