Skinny Fat?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Skinny Fat?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Skinny Fat?

I was fixing a flat on my pugsley the other day and saw this tire sitting in the pile in my barn so decided to throw it on the rim and see what it looked like. Tire is a 2.4 maxxis advantage. It took about 25psi to seat the bead but seemed solid once it was there. I'm thinking of doing some trail riding on it this summer just to see how it goes. Anyone else ever done this?

Next to a skinny larry

Tred is slightly narrower than rim and pretty square

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I was always curious about this same experiment. Let us know how it works. What rim are you using?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I used 2.4 Bontrager XR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Skinny Fat?-419315_3107372255859_1610886003_2545395_136529436_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I ran 2.5" michelins for a while, sorry no pics! I found that it dropped the bottom bracket too much and I kept on striking pedals off mother earth! I've had more success running my Pug with 29er wheels which in my opinion are the best way to go if you want to put your fatbike on a diet for the summer.

nvphatty
    ^ ^ that look sharp!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    ^ ^ that look sharp!!
    Thanks!! Here is the link in full fat setup http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/my-pugsley-769287.html

I also found that it dropped the bottom bracket. I used my Pugsley to pull my Burley a lot and found the XR1 setup gets me around town faster Its also fun to ride on gravel. I havent run a fat front setup, but its on my to do list.

is buachail foighneach me
    Pretty much everyone did that before Remolinos and then Endomorphs were released.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Interesting thread, especially for a fat bike 'newbie' like myself. My Mukluk would now be my first choice for bike camping nights away in the wilds, but I'd suffer from the additional weight of the standard tyres fitted - and hold back the non-fatties I might be with. The option of being able to fit large mountain bike tyres would be handy...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Those are the double wall Large Marge rims that come stock on the pugsly (65mm wide). I was worried about the BB drop and I'm sure will find out if it is an issue if/when I take this out on the trails. I was thinking I would run just like pictured for the experiment so the drop wouldn't be so drastic and I'd still have the cushion and easy rolling of the fatty up front. I've been riding a rigid 96er (29 up front 26 rear) as one of my bikes for a while now and like how it rides so was thinking this might be a similar setup.

Bad cat!
    I've had more success running my Pug with 29er wheels which in my opinion are the best way to go if you want to put your fatbike on a diet for the summer.
    Hey Johnni did you have any problem pulling the 29er rim into the necessary offset with spoke tension, or what rim did you use? Want to do the same with my Mukluk (and offset adapter)...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by montana_ben View Post
    Hey Johnni did you have any problem pulling the 29er rim into the necessary offset with spoke tension, or what rim did you use? Want to do the same with my Mukluk (and offset adapter)...
    Hi Ben, I used Velocity Synergy offset rims. I had to get my set imported from Australia, (I'm in the UK) It's only a 4mm offset, but it helps to balance out the spoke tension. I've given these wheels hell and they've never let me down. Running tyres ranging from 700x38c to 29x2.00!

Is that Bill rated?
    My biggest issue was not pedal strikes, (low bbs and I get along just fine!) but hitting my rims. The smaller carcass tires feel really nice aside from that.
    Well, it was a good try.

mtbr member

Freddie Revenz 2.3

Freddie Revenz 2.3 on a LM rear and 47MM front:

Not pictured was a 2.5 Specialized Pinnit Pro I once had, fir LM's fine.

Bad cat!
    Hi Ben, I used Velocity Synergy offset rims. I had to get my set imported from Australia, (I'm in the UK) It's only a 4mm offset, but it helps to balance out the spoke tension. I've given these wheels hell and they've never let me down. Running tyres ranging from 700x38c to 29x2.00!
    Thanks Johnni! Appreciate the info....

Members who have read this thread: 0