Silly question? Changing a 26" fatbike wheelset for a 24" fatbike wheelset.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Silly question? Changing a 26" fatbike wheelset for a 24" fatbike wheelset.

My wife is 5' 1/2" and about 107 lbs. She tried the 24" Mini-sota and feet hit the front tires while turning. Aside from that it was a 1 x 8 I think and the bike felt like a toy.

She's right on the cusp of being a little too inseam challenged for a Boris, and probably won't be traveling through heavy snow. I'm thinking about changing out her 26" wheelset for a 24" wheelset.

So here's what I've figured out.

1. She'll lose some clearance, although we can change her crank arms to 170, and will probably get her to a single 26T chainring 1 x 10

2. The gearing will change a bit, and we can compensate for that.

3. We may or may not lose some tire/wheel weight depending on the tire.

4. The geometry should stay the same, but the running length should decrease.

5. She has longer arms than a person her height has, so I'm not worried about the top tube length.

Can anyone offer any suggestions why or why not to go ahead with the plan.
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

since 4/10/2009
    it won't be just "some" clearance she'll lose, but rather quite a lot of clearance.

what she needs is a bike that fits. period. she doesn't need to start making half baked changes to an existing bike to try to make it work.

You'd going to have crap for choices in rims and tires, that's for sure.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I'm working on that.

That said, OP, I agree with Harold on the clearance. I've "slammed" a bike before in terms of wheel height not fitting the frame. It wasn't fun in the long run.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

Rocking on a Rocky
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

Rocking on a Rocky
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Specialized makes the Fatboy in a 24" version.
    Specialized Bicycle Components
    20 SJ Evo 29, 20 DB Release 29, 18 Vitus Dominer DH

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    Specialized makes the Fatboy in a 24" version.
    Specialized Bicycle Components
    Will have to check that one out, but from the looks of it, she may have trouble with her feet hitting the front tire, but definitely worth looking at. Thanks
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    it won't be just "some" clearance she'll lose, but rather quite a lot of clearance.

what she needs is a bike that fits. period. she doesn't need to start making half baked changes to an existing bike to try to make it work.

I agree 100% to that. The difficulty is finding those in between size bikes. We'll look at the Specialized, if we can find one /per Mr. Lynch's recommendation.

I think the rims and tires on the mini-sota would work out OK, but the overall size of the 24" mini would not work out. I was originally thinking the rims and tires would be a problem, but like I said the ones above would be just fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Tried opening that, but it would not let me in.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    The reach on the 24" is 23mm shorter than the small 26". Easily fixed with a 80 or 90mm stem vs the stock 60mm length.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    The reach on the 24" is 23mm shorter than the small 26". Easily fixed with a 80 or 90mm stem vs the stock 60mm length.
    That we had figured out, it was her size 7 1/2 to 8 feet hitting the front wheel that was the main problem, and the bike was just too much of a toy (at least that's what she felt).

Rocking on a Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpyride View Post
    Tried opening that, but it would not let me in.

Thanks.
    You have to join the group if you're not already a member. Extra small Salsa 900 and XS 9 Zero 7 1600.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyJo1 View Post
    You have to join the group if you're not already a member. Extra small Salsa 900 and XS 9 Zero 7 1600.
    Thanks, will try that.

mtbr member
    I meant on the Fatboy 24 vs 26. The wheelbase is 3" shorter, so the front tire might be close, but only has 160mm cranks so it might work.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    What is wrong with an XS fat bike? My son is only 9 and is 5'2" tall and fits his XS Pugsley like a glove. :-)

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    My wife is about the same size. She rides an XS Fatback. It fits her fine. Toe / tire interface is close but it works, she has 165 cranks. The XS 907 had even more standover. The bike is 4 years old so geometries may have changed.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Destr0 View Post
    What is wrong with an XS fat bike? My son is only 9 and is 5'2" tall and fits his XS Pugsley like a glove. :-)
    We're off to Bozeman for the remainder of the ski/snowboard season. Will have to check the local bike shops to see what they have available. We have not found an XS in anything as of yet. This was meant to be a work around in case something was not available.

mtbr member
    On-One make a 24" wheel fatbike.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    On-One make a 24" wheel fatbike.
    I've bought parts from on-one before and they've been very good. The problem that I have is that seeing what the fit was on the other 24", I would never mail order a bike for her. Her size is too close to being "Too big, or not big enough".

I watched the On-One Baby Fatty thread for a long time, and never did get a very good feel for how it would fit her.

Thanks for stopping by and offering the advice. That's always much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    My wife is about the same size. She rides an XS Fatback. It fits her fine. Toe / tire interface is close but it works, she has 165 cranks. The XS 907 had even more standover. The bike is 4 years old so geometries may have changed.
    I'll be meeting my wife in Montana in a couple of days. I do have the Boris X9 that she will be trying out for size (15"). She has not stood over the bike yet, so we'll see how it works (maybe, keeping my fingers crossed).

We have places in Minnesota, Washington, and Montana for the ski season. Had a hard time to convince her to try a Fatbike, so I want this to be a positive experience or we'll have something else to hang in the shed.

mtbr member
    Will have to check that one out, but from the looks of it, she may have trouble with her feet hitting the front tire, but definitely worth looking at. Thanks
    @Bumpyride - you advised me in an earlier thread against the Mini-sota because of the toe overlap issue. I have very similar measurements to your wife: 5'1, 27" inseam, but shoe size 6 womens.

After a lot of talking to the LBS, spreadsheets of spec comparisons, demo rides on adult-size bikes, etc., I took the plunge and ordered the Fatboy 24. I just got her yesterday. and I'm very happy with my choice to go with a kids-size bike.

It has the same wheelbase as the Mini-sota, but 1" longer frame reach, 1" long ETT, steeper seat tube angle, and 160mm instead of 170mm cranks. I have no worry at all about toe overlap.

We made 2 modifications:

1. Longer seatpost, absolutely necessary. My first ride I was sure I had made a horrid mistake, that the bike was too small; but then we upped the seat and it felt perfect.

2. Put in a 12-36 9sp cassette, and took out the 16t ring and put in a OneUp 40t sprocket to give me the climbing gears to spin up the snowy xc ski slopes here.

I'll try to get some pictures later today.
    Last edited by Melll; 02-01-2015 at 10:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Melll View Post
    @Bumpyride - you advised me in an earlier thread against the Mini-sota because of the toe overlap issue. I have very similar measurements to your wife: 5'1, 27" inseam, but shoe size 6 womens.

After a lot of talking to the LBS, spreadsheets of spec comparisons, demo rides on adult-size bikes, etc., I took the plunge and ordered the Fatboy 24. I just got her yesterday. and I'm very happy with my choice to go with a kids-size bike.

It has the same wheelbase as the Mini-sota, but 1" longer frame reach, 1" long ETT, steeper seat tube angle, and 160mm instead of 170mm cranks. I have no worry at all about toe overlap.

We made 2 modifications:

1. Longer seatpost, absolutely necessary. My first ride I was sure I had made a horrid mistake, that the bike was too small; but then we upped the seat and it felt perfect.

2. Put in a better 12-26 9sp cassette, and took out the 16t ring and put in a OneUp 40t sprocket to give me the climbing gears to spin up the snowy xc ski slopes here.

I'll try to get some pictures later today.
    I would appreciate that very much. Thank yoiu

mtbr member
    Gravity Bullseye Monter Pro comes in an XS and does the Trek Farley
    Salsa Carbon Bucksaw- Trek Farley 8

turtles make me hot
    The XS 9Zero7 will fit her.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    [QUOTE=bcriverjunky;11741547]Gravity Bullseye Monter Pro comes in an XS and does the Trek Farley[/QUOTE

Just checked out the Gravity. Anyone else notice that they aren't stating stand over height on a lot of their bikes, just a recommended height range which means just about nothing in comparing two sizes of bikes for differently built people.

The Boris X series standover for a 15" is 26.2 and for the FB4 is 27.5. Will definitely have to try a bike first.

Thanks for the heads up on that. Wish they had better specs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    The XS 9Zero7 will fit her.
    Will be trying to locate one for her to try. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    My wife is 5' 1/2" and about 107 lbs. She tried the 24" Mini-sota and feet hit the front tires while turning.
    Toe's shouldn't be past the front of the pedals. This will happen on any bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    I think this falls under personal riding style, shoes (winter insulated boots), and shoe size. It's a good thought, but she rides the way she rides and I'm not about to try to alter that. If she changes, it be her own choice and experience. Relationships are more important than riding styles. Those of you who are married will kind of catch the drift on this.

Thanks for the input.

aka bOb
    Not true, most peoples toes go well beyond the pedal including my own and they should, you pedal slightly behind the ball of your foot and not with your toes. CX bikes and some road bikes are well known for toe overlap but should never have any on a mountain bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Silly question?  Changing a 26" fatbike wheelset for a 24" fatbike wheelset.-p4pb11211756.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The Surly 1x1 used to be available with 24" large marges and fat tires as a prebuilt.

bigger than you.
    if she's getting toe overlap and hitting the wheels, it may have nothing to do with the bike, but where she's placing her feet on the pedals. Instead of riding with her arches on the pedals, haver her ride with the balls of her feet over the pedal axles. That should eliminate toe overlap for her.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Not true, most peoples toes go well beyond the pedal including my own and they should, you pedal slightly behind the ball of your foot and not with your toes. CX bikes and some road bikes are well known for toe overlap but should never have any on a mountain bike.
    You are correct. I guess I should have stated little toe overlap.

I know if I somehow get my foot positioned on the arch or heel it will hit the tire when turning and has on every bike I have owned.

aka bOb
    You are correct. I guess I should have stated little toe overlap.

I know if I somehow get my foot positioned on the arch or heel it will hit the tire when turning and has on every bike I have owned.
    Oh yeah been there on quick trying to jump on in snow and feet land where they land

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Re: Silly question? Changing a 26" fatbike wheelset for a 24" fatbike wheelset.

I don't know what happened but I had a slip off the pedal this past weekend and my boot hit the tire.

Thought about some pedal straps but I don't know.

aka bOb
    I don't know what happened but I had a slip off the pedal this past weekend and my boot hit the tire.

Thought about some pedal straps but I don't know.
    Welgo mag 1 is a great cheap light gripy flat pedal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Well I guess we should start by differentiating between Patrician and Plebeian Toes. She has Patrician and I have Plebeian and we still get along famously.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyJo1 View Post
    Joined, thanks for the tip. Looks like a place to do some horse trading.

mtbr member
    Here are pictures of me heading out for another ride. I've owned my little Fatboy 24" since Sunday, and I am really happy with my decision to go small.

Sorry it's dark here so early, I've been trying to get pictures; but blurry is better than nothing

Silly question?  Changing a 26" fatbike wheelset for a 24" fatbike wheelset.-2015-02-04-17.35.23-2-.jpg

Silly question?  Changing a 26" fatbike wheelset for a 24" fatbike wheelset.-2015-02-04-17.34.50-2-.jpg

Silly question?  Changing a 26" fatbike wheelset for a 24" fatbike wheelset.-2015-02-01-18.44.19.jpg

aka bOb
    Very nice, congrats!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Very nice, congrats!!
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Here are pictures of me heading out for another ride. I've owned my little Fatboy 24" since Sunday, and I am really happy with my decision to go small.

Sorry it's dark here so early, I've been trying to get pictures; but blurry is better than nothing

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-02-04 17.35.23 (2).jpg 
Views:	1735 
Size:	110.6 KB 
ID:	961718

Name:	2015-02-04 17.34.50 (2).jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	961720

Name:	2015-02-01 18.44.19.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	147.3 KB 
ID:	961721
    My wife will be here in Big Sky tomorrow. Will show her the pics. Nice looking bike, blurry or not.

Much appreciated.

mtbr member
    My wife will be here in Big Sky tomorrow. Will show her the pics. Nice looking bike, blurry or not.

Much appreciated.
    Thanks, and you're very welcome. Fatbike is perfect for spinning out the legs after a day on the slopes.

turtles make me hot
    That thing is cool. What do they have on there for tires? 24" Ground Controls?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks, and you're very welcome. Fatbike is perfect for spinning out the legs after a day on the slopes.
    If you're not careful you may find yourself spending more time spinning and less on the slopes. Saves on lift tickets too.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    That thing is cool. What do they have on there for tires? 24" Ground Controls?
    Yep, 24x4.0" Ground Controls

mtbr member
    If you're not careful you may find yourself spending more time spinning and less on the slopes. Saves on lift tickets too.
    Could be true!

But for me, slopes = work, spinning = after-work fun. And my staff pass is good for both.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Could be true!

But for me, slopes = work, spinning = after-work fun. And my staff pass is good for both.
    Slopes-over the handlebars = poof, Bike - over the handlebars = broken rib.

Pass at Big Sky / 70 days is about $15.

Favorite past time is actually Snowboarding (Hardboots and Plate Bindings) the bumps, hence the handle Bumpyride.

Spinning afterwards to get the kinks out, or anytime Winter or Summer that I'm not on the Board,

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Could be true!

OK since work = slope you may not change the ratio over time. But somebody will have to guide the new fattie riders around the mountain..........
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Slopes-over the handlebars = poof, Bike - over the handlebars = broken rib.

Favorite past time is actually Snowboarding (Hardboots and Plate Bindings) the bumps, hence the handle Bumpyride.
    I've broken a few ribs snowboarding on a few occasions. But I concur, both moguls and plates are great, although I don't usually mix the two.

OK since work = slope you may not change the ratio over time. But somebody will have to guide the new fattie riders around the mountain..........
    Well that could change the ratio indeed o_O I do like the way you think...

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    If you don't mind telling me, what's your shoe size and how close to the front wheel do your feet come when turning. I'm sure that's a question my wife will be asking.

Thanks

mtbr member
    If you don't mind telling me, what's your shoe size and how close to the front wheel do your feet come when turning. I'm sure that's a question my wife will be asking.

Thanks
    US shoe size 6 - 6.5 (Eur 37 in my cycling shoes). When I pedal, I feel most comfortable with the ball of my foot on the pedal, exactly how I would have my cleats set up on my road & tt bikes.

I feel that I have loads of clearance, certainly more than I need. but your wife's shoe size and preferred foot placement may change that. Also, I rode a 700c small-framed road bike with toe overlap for years, so it's something I've never really thought about...

mtbr member
    A picture is worth a thousand words, right?

Silly question?  Changing a 26" fatbike wheelset for a 24" fatbike wheelset.-2015-02-05-16.58.34.jpg

Cranks are level with the ground here, and the small squares in the linoleum are 4"

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    A picture is worth a thousand words, right?

Name:	2015-02-05 16.58.34.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	961930

Cranks are level with the ground here, and the small squares in the linoleum are 4"
    Very cool of you to do that. When I looked at the picture of you on the bike, I thought you had smaller feet than my wife, so I wanted to double check. Thanks for the specs and the picture. She's here now and I will show her.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Very cool of you to do that. When I looked at the picture of you on the bike, I thought you had smaller feet than my wife, so I wanted to double check. Thanks for the specs and the picture. She's here now and I will show her.

Thanks again.
    Just returning the favour, you helped me out 1st

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    For those of you who added and those who followed:

Just put my wife: 5' 1/2", Normal arms, 7 1/2 to 8 shoe size, 27" inseam, on my Boris X9 15" and it fits just fine. Stock wheels, on one floater, Metropolis 45 degree sweep handlebar with a 135 degree riser stem. Standover height is more than adequate. Will post a picture on a new thread.

This frameset is the same as the KHS and I believe a 9zero7 (or close to). Correct me if I'm wrong on the 907

PS the wheels have not been changed to24"

mtbr member
    Congrats on finding a bike for your wife

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Congrats on finding a bike for your wife

Thanks

Now I only have to convince her that she wants one. Sometimes it takes a bit to set in. It's a bit of a workout on the lungs at 7500 feet. Posted another thread with a picture to see if it helps out anyone else unsure of what to get.

I appreciate your good words and help.