Should I buy a conundrum fat unicycle?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Should I buy a conundrum fat unicycle? UPDATED!! WITH PICS!

I don't unicycle but I have a thing for unique. I'm not afraid to learn though, I can ride pretty well with no hands on any bike really, so my balance is decent.
    They don't make them anymore and are getting harder to find, I would need the 24" model.
    Should I go for it or buy a cheap one first and see if I like unicycleing?

Anybody ride a uni, preferrably off road?
    Last edited by Nakedbabytoes; 10-18-2012 at 09:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Conundrum is a very cool ride. There are better deals for completes like the Torker. If it was a 26" I'd say buy it now. I've got 5 munis in the stable and ride the 26" with a Larry most often. Find an unfinished basement and 3months of winter and you'll be ready to ride trail in the spring. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Yeah, at 5'3" tall and 115lbs, I think the 26 might be overkill. As it is, the 24 will be pushing it size & weight wise. I kindof have a thing for Surly, so I definately want a conundrum eventually, if I end up liking munis. I just dunno if I want to spend it now or later, I can still get new frames but who knows in 6 mos if I can. Stock is getting low in US. Maybe I should wait for complete used to come up. Buy a cheaper one now.
    That would be smart, huh?

There is a q-AX 20" muni on eBay for $159 used, maybe that would be a good starter one?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Qu-Ax is a good start. Smaller wheels is easier to ride for learning. Once you've mastered, then you can jump to bigger size. But if you can find conundrum for sale, don't wait. Just grab and learn using conundrum. I did that and having fun since day one buying conundrum.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    I thought the Conundrums were pretty cool and wanted to own one. But then one day I discovered the Nimbus Oregon! Just need to justify spending more than $800 on something that has only one wheel.
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Start small and build up. It is the most frustrating fun you'll ever have. I have a 24 and am 5'3' and 28 in inseam. Most of the big wheeled muni are not ideal for the stubby of leg.
    Go over to the unicycle forums and you will find more help and info than you'll ever need.

mtbr member
    Cool! Thanks! I might have a line on a used 24 via an mtbr member, how awesome would that be??!! Waiting on info. Meanwhile, off to the uni forum!

That Unicycle Guy
    Oct 2008
    I have 8 unicycles at the moment, including my fat ride with 26x4.0 Devast8or (or Larry) tire on 80mm GFS rim in a Triton frame.

I would NOT suggest starting with a fat wheel for various reasons, mostly because they need more body english to convince them to go where you want. Larry is much better than Devast8or in this regard but lacks a certain amount of grip.

Wide frames can also be hazardous to the inside of your legs, though I think a Conundrum or a Oregon would be better in this regard than a Triton frame.

The QuAx would probably be a good starter but don't be afraid to start on a 24 as it would probably be more useful in the long run.

mtbr member
    I had a Surly Conundrum and regretfully I sold it.
    There is no reason you cannot learn to ride on a Conundrum .
    Put a Schwalbe Big Apple tire on it and practice on pavement. (much less resistance)
    If you have the cash and can get a good deal. Go for it.

Torker is also a great unicyle and very reasonably priced if you want to save money and see how you like unicycling.
    Last edited by bprsnt; 10-02-2012 at 07:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm standing at 5'5" but with a 28 1/2" inseam. Basically a human bassett hound. I regularly cut my uni frames down and hand key them for the seatpost clamp. It's worked stock up to a Kris Holm 29er. I rode a 36 which I had to direct mount the saddle plate/seatpost to the crown by running a bolt through it and filling it with JB Weld. The shorter 155 or so cranks were awesome when they first came out.

Anchorage, AK
    If you decide to try go fat after all, here is another option. My son is getting one of these this winter but he is pretty experienced...It's the Oregon at unicycles.com (which is a great source for all things one wheeled).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Should I buy a conundrum fat unicycle?-phat-u.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ziax01 View Post
    If you decide to try go fat after all, here is another option. My son is getting one of these this winter but he is pretty experienced...It's the Oregon at unicycles.com (which is a great source for all things one wheeled).
    Really digging that frame.

mtbr member
    I used to mountain unicycle a lot. Even rode with tommillermn a few times back in the day before he moved west. I had a custom built up with an Enomorph and Large Marge before the Conundrum came out. It was fun, but I sold it last year since I never rode it anymore. I say get and have fun. You can always sell it if you want later.

mtbr member
    Got an offer in, we'll see what he says. Thanks everybody!

Anchorage, AK
    Did you get it?

--Lars
    --Peace

How much does it weigh?
    I occasionally miss my 36'er...

Don't miss the Trials uni at all... and have no want to ride trails on a uni, it's just too much work for me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    If I were to buy another conundrum I would go with the 26". I have a 24. With the larger of the two you have much better tire and rim selection for the frame. One thing that I really like about the Surly uni frame is the crown it provides a good platform for your feet when coasting or one footing. Now I look at it as a collectors item. There weren't too many made and they are out of production. I still ride it from time to time. One thing that I have found is that when I ride Uni regularly it greatly improves my posture. I would not learn on the Conundrum though. I tried and it is very difficult as someone mentioned earlier it takes way more body english ride one. I moved to a 20" freestyle uni and pretty much learned how in a afternoon. going forward that is. it is a skill that can always be built upon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ziax01 View Post
    Did you get it?

--Lars
    Well, I bought it(thanks mtbr member gregclimbs!) but it has yet to show up at my doorstep. I'll post some pics once it does. A 24" complete in the champagne pearl color, with a Maxxis Hookworm 2.5 tire.
    Last week was a short shipping week with the holiday, so hopefully sometime this week, I'll be riding(or more than likely, falling!)
    Last edited by Nakedbabytoes; 10-15-2012 at 05:58 AM.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgschulze View Post
    I occasionally miss my 36'er...
    I sort of miss mine too. Problem was that it was just too much planning going on rides with it, and usually I was riding with my kids… we’d be going along and they’d all of a sudden stop right in front of me and I’d have to make a panic dismount. Then they’d do it again, and again, and again. Plenty of crashes. I think I only rode mine about 50 miles tops. Sold it since I started getting hardcore back into mountain biking. But the Oregon… if I had one… I’d be taking it up the local steep-ass cardioclimb trails and some semi-technical stuff on a weekly basis.
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    I've never been on a unicycle but I have been a little curious. Looking at that Oregon how do you apply the brake? It looks too far away to reach and turned in the wrong direction. Also can you use it to slow down or is it just to lock up the wheel when you are hopping up something? I'm surprised no one has come up with a D shaped lever so you could easily grab it from any hand position.
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by modifier View Post
    I've never been on a unicycle but I have been a little curious. Looking at that Oregon how do you apply the brake? It looks too far away to reach and turned in the wrong direction. Also can you use it to slow down or is it just to lock up the wheel when you are hopping up something? I'm surprised no one has come up with a D shaped lever so you could easily grab it from any hand position.
    The brake lever is located under the handle, which would normally be the front of the uni, so it makes sense there. If you watch any muni videos, you'll see they usually have one hand on the handle on most technical stuff to keep the muni under you and let one arm flail for balance. You'd grab the brake easily with your fingers being underneath the seat handle.

Mine comes with a brake but it isn't currently attached. Once I get decent enough to use it though, you bet I will put it on there.

How much does it weigh?
    Quote Originally Posted by modifier View Post
    I'm surprised no one has come up with a D shaped lever so you could easily grab it from any hand position.

mtbr member
    Nakedbabytoes,

You bringing yours the next time we hit a trail? That would be hilarious with one fat bike and a unicycle ripping through Wilderness. LOL. I didn't even know you could do that with a unicycle. Let us know when you get it.

I'm a disaster on a bike, a unicycle would kill me.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    This thread title made me think of a Simpsons episode.

"Rabbi, should I buy a Chrysler?"
    "Eh, could you phrase that as an ethical question?"
    "...Is it right to buy a Chrysler?"
    "Yyyyes, for great is the car with power steering!"

Bonus points that the product in question is called a Conundrum.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (officialy in 2016, functionally in 2020).

mtbr member
    Well Bethany, I just might do that! Somebody has to dial 911!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgschulze View Post
    Guess I'm not as dumb as people sometimes think.
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Have a fat uni would be fun. I put my extra pair of straitline pedals on my uni and got the thigh workout of a lifetime on the trails. I have an el cheapo 20 inch, still fun.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    pics(or maybe links) I dunno how to post actual pics on a thread

Skeleton want Surly
    http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/fe...A%22s%22%7D%7D

hallway learning
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Should I buy a conundrum fat unicycle?-photo-66-.jpg  

Should I buy a conundrum fat unicycle?-photo-65-.jpg  

Last edited by Nakedbabytoes; 10-18-2012 at 10:56 AM.

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakedbabytoes View Post
    pics(or maybe links) I dunno how to post actual pics on a thread

Skeleton want Surly

hallway learning
    The linkes don't work. Try the "advanced" button.

mtbr member
    Working on it. Tips?

FIXED! yay!

mtbr member
    Awesome pics. Sure you don't want to take the pictures off your wall while you practice? LOL. You like it?

mtbr member
    Lol, Bethany, now where is the danger in that?
    I do like it and am getting pretty good. I wanna take it outside but I gotta make a trip for protective gear first for outside falls.
    My thighs feel it, for sure. I have a running race 5k on Sunday and I don't think I will do very well, my legs are tired! But will that stop me from practicing today and Saturday, not a chance!

When I was out in the garage yesterday, I had a little conversation with my Pugs. I told it that I was sure the other bikes(my racing Roo road and my fixie) had probably snickered at the Conundrum and told my fattie that they were once "the new favorite bike" too and then another one came along and stole all my time, regulating them to dusty hooks on the garage wall. Which is true......
    But that the Pugs was still my favorite 2 wheeled bike, so not to worry. And that winter is on it's way....good times to follow!

If I don't off myself by unicycleing, it is at least certain to make me a better rider overall. And it's weird. I tend to like weird.

mtbr member
    Yeah, my Mukluk was upset because it was windy, raining and cold yesterday so he couldn't go to Wilderness. The trip had been planned a month ahead with the orthodontist appt. and he and my daughter couldn't wait to go. Still had a good time with my daughter in Lincoln despite the 30+ gusty winds and the rain.

My Fargo told the Mukluk to quit whining as he still has both tires on after we left. Last trip left the Fargo with about 10 goat head thorns in each tire and they haven't been fixed yet.

Part of me would like to try a unicycle, I just know my back couldn't take it. One wrong twist and I'd be on the ground in agony.

Good luck with your race!

Members who have read this thread: 0