Shorter crank for fat biking- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2018

Shorter crank for fat biking

Is anyone here running a short crank on their fat to ease up the stress on their knees (or to prevent pedal strikes)? Even tho I'm 5'10 and ride size large bikes, all my bikes (road and mountain) currently have 170mm cranks, as it is far more gentle on my beat up knees than 175mm

As I'm searching for a fat bike / crank combination with a narrow q factor, it also occurred to me that I could go shorter on the crank to further ease up the stress on my knees. So since I'll be swapping any 175mm crank that comes stock with almost every large fat bike, I might as well try this. Thoughs?

Envoyé de mon SM-A530W en utilisant Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I’ve got 170’s. 165s are out there but you will have to hunt or special order and selection may not be as great. RF and Middleburn used to. You may be able to piece together a SRAM set.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Sram dub 165's here, very happy with them. Readily available too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    waiting on a spindle to come in then I'll run 165's on my Pugsley!
    FATTrailer for the kiddo, As Seen on the blue/green trails around Grand Junction now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    Sram dub 165's here, very happy with them. Readily available too.
    Ditto

mtbr member
    For narrow Q factor the Rocky Mountain Suzi Q and Otso Voytek are two to look at.

mtbr member
    I did this for a while, for the same reasons you cited. I ended up finding that a narrow Q-factor is more effective at eliminating knee pain for me than crank length. Having said that, I run 165mm on all my bikes, regardless of Q factor. I'm 5-11 but I have short legs and my knees are a bit beat up. it works for me but I did find that I like raising the seat accordingly. Of course that affects other sizing aspects of the bike. My solution has been to run an 83mm crank on my bikes to get the Q factor down to 180mm or so. There are a few out there like that as mentioned above but I also managed to machine both my Pugsley and Wednesday to accept 83mm cranks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrstein View Post
    I did this for a while, for the same reasons you cited. I ended up finding that a narrow Q-factor is more effective at eliminating knee pain for me than crank length. Having said that, I run 165mm on all my bikes, regardless of Q factor. I'm 5-11 but I have short legs and my knees are a bit beat up. it works for me but I did find that I like raising the seat accordingly. Of course that affects other sizing aspects of the bike. My solution has been to run an 83mm crank on my bikes to get the Q factor down to 180mm or so. There are a few out there like that as mentioned above but I also managed to machine both my Pugsley and Wednesday to accept 83mm cranks.
    ...still waiting on pics of the cranks and clearance for the Wednesday...

please.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    ...still waiting on pics of the cranks and clearance for the Wednesday....
    The Wednesday is tight at the chainstay. Here is a picture of a Raceface Atlas Cinch 83mm crankset at 165mm. As you can see longer cranks will be even tighter. These cranks end up with a Q factor of 189mm. Not quite as tight as what I got on my Waltorks, but good. For the Waltworks I was able to use a Sram carbon crankset that has a Q factor of 181mm. That crank would not work with the Wednesday.

Shorter crank for fat biking-wednesday-rf-nds.jpg

Shorter crank for fat biking-wednesday-rf-ds.jpg

mtbr member
    Very nice, I appreciate the pics. Thank you.

Apologies to OP for the thread derail.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    For narrow Q factor the Rocky Mountain Suzi Q and Otso Voytek are two to look at.
    Yeah but they don't allow big enough tires for loose snow. I'll probably go with a Trek Farley 5. Comes stock with a 175mm (203 Q factor), that I know I can replace a Raceface Aeffect 165mm / 205 Q. It's good enough and much better than many bikes with 230 Q.

Human Test Subject
    I've had 5 knee surgeries and 170s have been a game changer. Kinda thinking of 165 SixC cranks but haven't pulled the trigger. The SixCs have a slightly wider Q than Nexts.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    While on the subject of fitting... Does anyone knows if there is Spd pedals with shorter spindles out there? I know there are XTR pedals with 52mm axles instead of 55, but it won't make a lot of difference.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I’ve seen longer spindles and spindle extenders. Shorter pedal spindles would be limited by the width of your foot. Interesting though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ToiletSiphon View Post
    Is anyone here running a short crank on their fat to ease up the stress on their knees (or to prevent pedal strikes)? Even tho I'm 5'10 and ride size large bikes, all my bikes (road and mountain) currently have 170mm cranks, as it is far more gentle on my beat up knees than 175mm

As I'm searching for a fat bike / crank combination with a narrow q factor, it also occurred to me that I could go shorter on the crank to further ease up the stress on my knees. So since I'll be swapping any 175mm crank that comes stock with almost every large fat bike, I might as well try this. Thoughs?

Maybe a better saddle position might help your knees.
    It is worth it to pay for a professional positioning. After that you can use the saddle height for any other bike.
    Step 2 if your knees experience pain just move the saddle a bit forward, backward and you can easily find your correct position(pain free).
    Later you find your proper cockpit fit.
    -- also easier gearing might help.
    For my fat 26x4.8 my front ring is 22 with 11-36 or 11-42 there is no pressure on my knees. My mountain bike is 28 in front.
    In the last 4 years my knees are fine and i only paid ounce for 5 different bikes.