Shimano SH-Mw81 winter boot- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Shimano SH-Mw81 winter boot

Those of you with any experience with this shoe/boot... do you think a size 45 will do given I wear a 9.5 size shoe normally.

My search seems to have found people happy wiith 1-2 sizes up in the shimano vs. lake where people like 2-3 sizes up and complain about the narowness of the lake.

Hard to find locally. I hate to guess shoe size here given wanting to use thicker socks etc.

Thanks for any advice.
    CRAMBA Chairman

mtbr member
    What size are your normal cycling shoes?
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2013 Specialized Tricross Comp Disc
    2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    in specialized shoes i wear 12, in shimano i buy a 13.

mtbr member
    I have the MW-81, my shoe size is 13 and Shimano's 48 is a 12.3 (on Shimano's scale) I would have liked to try a 49 but 48 is the biggest size they make. My summer shoe is a specialized and that is size 48. The mw-81's fit me more like a true clipless shoe than any size sidi dominators and I tried on size 48 lake 302's which I thought were way to big even with 2 socks. The lake is more a mix between boot and true clipless shoe. However I am yet to ride with the mw-81's as it is only down to 30-40 degrees here and my feet are just starting to get cold towards the end of a ride.

According to Shimano a 9.5 is 43.8, 9.7 is 44, 10.6 is 45. You've got to try them on before buying, all shoes don't fit the same. Or buy them from somewhere with free returns online.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ecub View Post
    What size are your normal cycling shoes?
    Well, i have a pair of specialized in 43 and they are a bit tight. I have shimanos in a 45, but they are loose. Decently snug with wool socks, but not tight.

So maybe 46?
    CRAMBA Chairman

mtbr member
    I wear 44 in Bontrager MTB and road shoes as well as the Shimano MW80's. The MW80's are somewhat snugg with 2 wools socks (1 thick and 1 thin), but not tight as well.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2013 Specialized Tricross Comp Disc
    2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Mw 81

I also normally wear a 9.5 US and I have been wearing the MW 81 in a 45 for the last couple of months. First off, it is an awesome shoe. You will not be disappointed. I wore them on my cross bike in the cold fall. Now I am wearing them on the snow and they are comfortable and stay dry and warm. The 45 works well for me because they are not too sloppy with one sock. They are snug but not tight with two socks.

I use an CB eggbeater cleat and I noticed that it was a little difficult to click in to the pedal at first. I used a Dremmel and cut away a little of the tread on either side of the cleat and now it is like butter!

Good luck.

mtbr member
    I have a pair of Sidis that are size 43 and I got the Shimanos in size 44 and they are fine.

mtbr member
    I'm a 9.5 and opted for a pair of MW81's in a size 44. I'm very happy with the size and would not opt for a 45's if given the chance to change sizes at this point. That being said, I have a pair of Lake 302's in 45 for when temps drop lower than the Shimanos can comfortably handle. Even in a 44, I think my MW81's would be fine with a second pair of socks. I really like shoes that fit, and I've yet to need a second pair of socks in the past three years of winter riding.
    -Chris

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone.
    Also, as i have seen in other threads and mentioned in this one, some people find the shimano not as warm as lakes. I plan on nothing below 0°f, so i wonder if the shimano will do it for me.
    CRAMBA Chairman

El Gato Malo
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BurkeVT View Post
    I'm a 9.5 and opted for a pair of MW81's in a size 44. I'm very happy with the size.
    Same here, my 9.5 foot fits great in a 44 MW81 shoe.

mtbr member
    I normally wear a 9.5, I have a 45 in my MW 81's but I would go with a 46 if I were you. This way you can wear thicker socks without compressing the loft of the wool.

I was comfortable for about 2 hours down to mid 20's in these shoes on the road. My feet get cold fast and I have never had Lake's to compare to. Overall, happy with the performance of these shoes. I do wish I had gotten the 46's so I would have room for thicker socks.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

Fast, like Squeeze Cheese
    Jan 2005
    I am a 9.5 shoe, wear 43.5 Sidis, 43 Shimanos and got a size 45 MW80s. I put a foot bed in the bottom to insulate against the cleat with a pair of thicker wool socks and the shoes are good to -10F. Great fit for winter riding and if I wanted, I could fit a foot warmer in the toes (haven't needed it though).

mtbr member
    Went over to Tree Fort bikes today and tried on a few. Went with the 46. Pefrect.
    Thanks for everyones insight.
    CRAMBA Chairman

mtbr member

Timely Post

Quote Originally Posted by thickfog View Post
    Went over to Tree Fort bikes today and tried on a few. Went with the 46. Pefrect.
    Thanks for everyones insight.
    Thanks for reference to Tree Fort, I was about to buy these from Wiggle or Chain Reaction. I would rather spend the money here in Michigan. Nice timely post, thank you. I just ordered 46's too and can't wait to get them.

mtbr member
    And their price was awesome. I chatted with Craig for quite a bit too. Great help, people and shop.
    CRAMBA Chairman

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I had a few minutes, and put together my thoughts on the MW-81s today...

These Boots Were Made for Biking…Shimano MW81 Review | ridingagainstthegrain

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by lawfarm View Post

These Boots Were Made for Biking…Shimano MW81 Review | ridingagainstthegrain
    Thank you for the helpful review.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
    Thank you for the helpful review.
    No problem. Happy to help.

El Gato Malo
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lawfarm View Post
    Nice write-up, thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Do they have insulation or are they just gore-tex lined?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    There is a neoprene liner that covers your ankle; inside the 'shoe' part of the shoes (by your foot) there is a goretex liner and some form of quilted/sheet insulation. Not a ton of it, though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Just brought MW-81s at my favorite LBS! Can't wait to try them out.

Lawfarm - awesome review on those shoes

bi-winning
    While I was out on a ride today, I stopped by Liberty! Bicycles in St. Catharines Ontario, and they had these MW81 shoes in stock.

For those searching, I'll just add another size data point.

I normally wear a 10 or 10.5 running shoe.
    I wear size 44 Diadora MTB shoes currently. They fit nicely, with plenty of room.
    I had size 44 Louis Garneau MTB shoes, and they fit snugly.
    I had size 44 Shimano MTB shoes, they fit great.

I found the size 44 MW81 was just a little short with thick wool socks.
    The size 45 MW81 fit me nicely with thick wool socks.

I'm hoping Santa might bring me a pair.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

100+ wheel-build club
    Quote Originally Posted by thickfog View Post
    Thanks everyone.
    Also, as i have seen in other threads and mentioned in this one, some people find the shimano not as warm as lakes. I plan on nothing below 0°f, so i wonder if the shimano will do it for me.
    Just wanted to share this; I have never owned other winter boots, so in all fairness nothing to compare to, but I have owned the Lake mxz 302's for 4 years now. I ride in Wisconsin and ride at night a lot, on the lakes, etc. all winter long. My feet get sweaty with heavier socks. I usually wear a taller, thin cycling sock (like Twin Six makes). They also have the Boa lace system which is great. Could not be happier with a hard-core, cold weather boot. If you ride in the snow in Jan. then great but might be, as you mentioned, TOO WARM above 0.
    "Go that way REAL FAST, if something gets in your way... turn".

Tin Man

Gore-Tex!

I scoured the net for these. Out of stock everywhere (except the UK). I wear a size 43 in Shimano summer shoes and planned on going to 44 in the winter shoe. So I check out a LBS not expecting to find them (especially in my size) but lo and behold they had them. Glad I did not get them on the net 'cause with a thick pair of socks I ended up with a size 45. Yeah, I paid more but I got the shoe I wanted and the LBS got my business.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shimano SH-Mw81 winter boot-shimano-winter-shoe.jpg  

Why do women have boobs? So you got something to look at while you're talking to them. -peter griffin

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    My regular Shimano summer shoes are a size 46, so I ordered these in 46 too. For comparison I usually wear 44.5 Lacoste sneakers and 45 in other shoes. The Shimano MW81 are a bit roomier in order to accommodate thicker socks.