Shimano boots- Mtbr.com

Thread: Shimano boots

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Shimano boots

anyone else using these?I have a pair that I used last year but want to get a larger size. Shimano MT91 MTB SPD Boots

Frt Range, CO
    I love Shimano SPD shoes but I don't buy any leather MTB shoes anymore. It seems I always end up riding in the wet, crossing a stream or the like. Now I only buy synthetic shoes, Shimano has lots of models that are 100% made made, they dry out overnight

aka bOb
    I'm going to check into those!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    these have a goretex inner they are like hiking boots with cleats

mtbr member
    I've had the previous model (MT90) for about three years. They are my favourite for real "back-country" biking and were what I wore all last winter. The leather has survived well with the occasional re-proofing just to keep it supple.

One thing to watch out for is that the top of the boot is quite wide and you can find that water will run down your leg and into it. A common fix is to make a gasket/gaiter from the wrist part of a pair of household rubber gloves. In really bad conditions, I team them up with a set of proper walkers gaiters.

mtbr member
    the shimano boots are warm but remember to buy a size larger than normal.
    i wish id remembered that.

aka bOb
    I'm looking for a size 43 or 44 if anyone needs to go bigger.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I have a 44, which I know will fit, so I never really tried them on, since I got them. But after reading this thread and being winter boots, I should have gone a size larger. I'll PM you when I get home to make sure I do have the MT90 or MT91.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2013 Specialized Tricross Comp Disc
    2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have noticed that Shimano runs their shoes a bit small. I'm usually a size 44. I have tried Shimano sh-MW81 and 45 fits perfect. Wonder if anyone had experiences with MW81? I have been considering if I should buy those for winter cycling.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mttklmhifi1 View Post
    I have noticed that Shimano runs their shoes a bit small. I'm usually a size 44. I have tried Shimano sh-MW81 and 45 fits perfect. Wonder if anyone had experiences with MW81? I have been considering if I should buy those for winter cycling.
    I've got the MW-81's but I haven't used them yet. I got size 48 (biggest size they make) I found they fit me the best with 1 or 2 socks out of all the 3 winter shoes I tried on. With Sidi Dominator's and Lake 302's, I found my heel would pull up a lot. I tried all size dominators that would fit me. Only got to try size 48 Lakes, would have liked to try size 47 but from what I've read they are probably overkill for my area. A few days later I ran into someone on my local trail wearing the Lake 302's when it was 50 degrees.

mtbr member
    The MT-90 is an AWESOME BOOT!!! I have the 90, a friend has both the 90 and 91. he says the 91 is a bit more narrow than the 90...I can't believe Shimano does not have it in their US line-up.
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    Sorry, I thought I had the MT, but I actually have the MW80's. I just opened up the box and tried them on. The fit is good. I tried using 2 pairs of socks, which is a little snug, but I don't think it will reduce circulation in my feet.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    What temps have you used the MW-80s down to?

I really like the look of Northwave's Arctic Celsius boot, but they seem pretty tough to track down at the moment.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bennyk View Post
    What temps have you used the MW-80s down to?

I really like the look of Northwave's Arctic Celsius boot, but they seem pretty tough to track down at the moment.
    I haven't used the MW80's in the cold yet. I do plan to use them when the temps get in the low teens. I've used my regular Shimano MTB shoes as in the low 30'sF (Illinois), when I did my century ride a few weeks ago (Nov 16). I did have toe covers, but never used them. My toes were a bit cold, but not to the point were they were freezing cold or uncomfortable. I do a daily 3 mile ride to give my dog some excercise, using Skechers Journeyman, which are like sandals. Of course, I used socks.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I have a set of the new MW81s that I picked up this year...they do run wide, and I didn't go up a size over my normal, but still have plenty of room for thick socks.

My take: I think they'll be fine down to 20 degrees. Maybe a hair colder if you're fat biking in the woods, away from wind. Below that, you'll want platforms + boots.

Also, while they do seem pretty waterproof, if you're going to be in/near water over your ankle, you're gonna get wet. And once they get wet, they take a loooooong time to dry.

mtbr member
    I have a pair of Lake MXZ302's that I used last winter (size 45). I also recently picked up a pair of Shimano MW81's, (44's) because I'm a bit of a shoe pimp.
    The Lakes are the bomb, of course. I used them up to 35F last year, but I found my feet were getting a bit too warm at such "high" temps. From now on, I will use these on sub 20F days only. Lakes are significantly heavier than the MW81's, but with the extra wool insole I put in them and a pair of thick socks, I managed to keep my tootsies warm when the temps dropped to -11F last winter.
    My new MW81's are sweet. They are quite versatile, lighter, and have a nice big toe box. They are pretty water tight, fully synthetic and have nice big velcro straps. I enjoy using them more than the Lakes. I've ridden them up to 50F comfortably, and have had them down to about 25F twice now. The first time I went that low I felt a little tingling in my toes after 90 minutes or so, though I think I had them cinched down a bit too tightly. When I rode at 25F last week, they were more comfortable as I didn't "over strap." I think they will serve me all the way down to 20F, though I haven't ridden at that temp with them yet. I mostly bought them for Fall/ Spring riding and wet rides, both trail and road. Still, I'm pretty impressed with their cold temperature performance so far.
    Keep in mind, I am a "warm rider." I tend to dress lighter in the winter than my other winter-riding buddies do. Your results may vary.
    -Chris

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by bennyk View Post
    What temps have you used the MW-80s down to?....
    I have the older version, I run them down to 0*F with no issues, I have plenty of room in them and only wear a single pair of socks. At 20*F they're toasty warm. Yesterday I rode them on the beach at 40*F, kept most of the water out for 18+ miles with lots of stream crossings.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Does anyone have experience with the Northwave boots?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR2ebike View Post
    I've got the MW-81's but I haven't used them yet. I got size 48 (biggest size they make) I found they fit me the best with 1 or 2 socks out of all the 3 winter shoes I tried on. With Sidi Dominator's and Lake 302's, I found my heel would pull up a lot. I tried all size dominators that would fit me. Only got to try size 48 Lakes, would have liked to try size 47 but from what I've read they are probably overkill for my area. A few days later I ran into someone on my local trail wearing the Lake 302's when it was 50 degrees.
    Let me know how your MW-81's perform in cold weather. Thanks!

At 50 degrees, I'm comfortable using my summer cycling shoes. Looks like Lake 302's would be good for 0 degrees or below. I have used my Sidi's with shoe covers and pretty comfortable at 30's unless I get them wet. I'm looking for something to keep my feet warm below 30's and are water proof.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I have a pr 45s

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by bnelson View Post
    I have a pr 45s
    Mmmm....That might be a little big. Thanks for thinking of me!!