Setting up 1st gen 45NRTH D5s tubeless on mulefuts- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Setting up 1st gen 45NRTH D5s tubeless on mulefuts

Long story short a friend new to fat bikes bought some new original D5's and wasnt aware they arent labeled as "tubeless ready". The LBS mounted them up for him with tubes but I'm sure I could get them setup tubeless on his 26" mulefuts to save him an extra 1 lb per wheel

Has anyone had experience setting up the older 45NRTH tires that don't state they're tubeless compatible? Cant be that hard on mulesfuts but I'm looking for a second opinion before I set my buddy up for a flat 15k from home.

The mulesfuts have held air perfectly with barbs from a gorilla tape job I did 2.5 years ago that's still in there.

Thank you

mtbr member
    Yes, yes, yes. They should set up fine. I run an original Dillinger (its before there was a D5 so there was no need to designate it as a D4) tubeless and it is fine. For that matter, a friend is running Escalators (pre-Dillinger) tubeless.

It may require a strap and compressor to get it to seat, but they will work fine.

mtbr member
    No problem I've got a big compressor to pop them on. Just didnt want to waste my friends time or cause him a failure far from home.

Thank you for the comparisons

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    My old D5's set up fairly easily on Mulefuts as well. Shouldn't have a problem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I have set up D5s tubeless on DT Swiss BR710 rims with ease! Just needed a strap and a compressor and Bob's your uncle!

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by mohrgan View Post
    I have set up D5s tubeless on DT Swiss BR710 rims with ease! Just needed a strap and a compressor and Bob's your uncle!
    I have other methods I use that work for me, but I've always been confounded by the "strap" method. Whenever I've tried it, it opens up big gaps where the tire-bead scrunches and air just escapes like crazy, it seems to do the opposite thing that is claimed.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I've never used a strap either on barbs gnars beists D4s or wrathchilds. I find with a 50 gal electric air compressor all I have to do is lightly press the tire against the back of my bench and they instantly set up because of the air flow rate. Obviously cant hold it on for long but it's never a fight

mtbr member
    Mine set up tubeless without an issue and were perfect for the last 3 years. I just dismounted and sold them and they still looked new except for some wrinkles on the sidewalls. I ran them from 2psi up to 10 psi. I did not have to use a strap to mount them on 100mm rims since they did not need it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I have other methods I use that work for me, but I've always been confounded by the "strap" method. Whenever I've tried it, it opens up big gaps where the tire-bead scrunches and air just escapes like crazy, it seems to do the opposite thing that is claimed.
    The key is to not crank it down tight. I use an NRS strap and not a ratchet strap for that reason. The object is to have it push the beads outward. The casing may scrunch a bit, but never the beads.

Everyone has their own methods, so whatever works.