"Semi Fat": 47mm/50mm rims with 2.5"-3" tires- Mtbr.com
    Front Range Cyclist

"Semi Fat": 47mm/50mm rims with 2.5"-3" tires

Rolling around the Surly booth at Dirt Demo were some 1x1's with what I'd call "Semi Fat" setups. 50mm rims with 2.5 slant six ties on them. Looked like fun but I never got around to riding one.

Anyone on here play around with it?
    In the immortal words of Socrates..."I drank what?"

Facebook.com/monstercrosser
    Twitter: @monstercrosser

Harmonius Wrench
    I saw that too. Looked like fun.

I have ridden a Big Dummy set up with Marge Lites and 2.4" Bontrager XR-1's and that was fun to ride. Not the same a s a 1X1, but I imagine that would be a hoot.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    I ride a 2009 11th Anniversary Edition Surly 1x1 “Rat Ride”. It came stock with 24"x2.5" Surly Large Marge rims shod with “Hoggy-g” 24"x3.45" cruiser slicks, however, it presently has a 24"x3" Nokian Gazzaloddi in front and a 24"x3" Arrow Racing Wide Bite on it. I’d been riding that setup for a couple of years until I bought my first real fatbike (a Surly Pugsley) back in 2011. I still ride the 1x1 regularly, as it rides sort of like a BMX bike but with super girthy/squishy tires that want to grab onto all the terrain that is thrown in the way of the bike. I ride semi-technical stuff with it and it just likes to grab the rocks/boulders and climb. No problems in the cornering department, just lean the bike into it and hang on no matter how loose the conditions are.

I run the tires between 7-12psi or thereabouts (when I actually use a gauge to measure the pressure rather than just squeeze the tire with my hand to determine, “yeah, that feels about right”), yet I imagine that the 47-50mm rims would be just as fun with 3" wide tires.
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

Front Range Cyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    I ride a 2009 11th Anniversary Edition Surly 1x1 “Rat Ride”. It came stock with 24"x2.5" Surly Large Marge rims shod with “Hoggy-g” 24"x3.45" cruiser slicks, however, it presently has a 24"x3" Nokian Gazzaloddi in front and a 24"x3" Arrow Racing Wide Bite on it. I’d been riding that setup for a couple of years until I bought my first real fatbike (a Surly Pugsley) back in 2011. I still ride the 1x1 regularly, as it rides sort of like a BMX bike but with super girthy/squishy tires that want to grab onto all the terrain that is thrown in the way of the bike. I ride semi-technical stuff with it and it just likes to grab the rocks/boulders and climb. No problems in the cornering department, just lean the bike into it and hang on no matter how loose the conditions are.

I run the tires between 7-12psi or thereabouts (when I actually use a gauge to measure the pressure rather than just squeeze the tire with my hand to determine, “yeah, that feels about right”), yet I imagine that the 47-50mm rims would be just as fun with 3" wide tires.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking at running the new Schlick Cycles Northpaw rims (47mm) currently:
    http://schlickcycles.com/bikes/northpaw-47mm-rim/

But considering also a Large Marg with 2.5" Slant Six's for tires. Arrow also has a 3" wide tire in 26". Kinda heavy, but lighter than a fat bike tire by a lot too.

I spent a decent amount of time on a Krampus at Dirt Demo at Interbike. I liked it, but availability is sparse and wait is long. Plus I'm still not thrilled with 29ers. Owned them for 5 years, tried it all. Just not thrilled. but the 1x1 excites me because it can fit these big semi-fat kinda wheels as well as a set of 650b's.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Before got a Fatbike I rode 44 mm Snowcats with 2.5 Diesel Pros. I got the fatbike because I would have to stop riding on trails when the snow got too soft but the Endo tracks just kept on going out of sight........The Diesel Pro tires worked fine in a lot of conditions but not the soft stuff.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    We still need a 26x3" Knard!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Rode the big betty on marge lites, it was fun, but it is much more fun with the fatter ones. I think 3 inch area might be the ticket with high volume, especially if you have room in a non specific frame...pretty happy with fatty 4" Du's all the time though.

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by druidh View Post
    patience my good man, patience.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I run 35 mm rims with 26x3" gadzolddis (sp) on the 1x1. Set up works well. Climbs over anything. Set it up last year, no snow, maybe we'll get some this year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Is this the one?

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    that looks tough

Front Range Cyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    Before got a Fatbike I rode 44 mm Snowcats with 2.5 Diesel Pros. I got the fatbike because I would have to stop riding on trails when the snow got too soft but the Endo tracks just kept on going out of sight........The Diesel Pro tires worked fine in a lot of conditions but not the soft stuff.
    Funny I'm going the opposite direction. Had a fat bike last winter and very much loved it but felt it was too much in most situations unless there was deep snow. Even then, problem was it was too deep at that point to even use it.

Going to a semi-fat setup this fall/winter/spring because of the following:

A) We really don't get a ton of snow in Colorado Springs, but we do get some.
    B) Wanted something I could use year round.
    C) Wanted something I could do a 650b wheelset for as well.

I may still get a fat bike. But for now I have a 1x1 with large marge rims and 3" Arrow Racing tires on it coming Wednesday.

Front Range Cyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuanswan View Post
    Is this the one?

Yep exactly what I saw. Or close enough anyway.

Kinda getting excited to try it out.

Front Range Cyclist
    Agreed. I actually predicted something along the lines of the Krampus rim/tire combo last fall. Just was wrong on the diameter.

Sevo’s Crystal Ball: Tire Talk | FAT-BIKE.COM

a 26"x3" Knard would usher in a whole new type of bike I feel. Especially after seeing the 1x1 with a semi-fat. I imagine wide carbon bars, carbon fork that can handle the width of the 26"x3" tire......this is your front suspension so to speak. Rear people will go with flex carbon posts, ti post, and a revival of suspension posts. To me this is idea for trails back in MN/IA area where I'm from plus could be a great bike for those on a budget anywhere...or just want something simple/lightweight.

Front Range Cyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    I run 35 mm rims with 26x3" gadzolddis (sp) on the 1x1. Set up works well. Climbs over anything. Set it up last year, no snow, maybe we'll get some this year.
    You have pics of this setup? And you using the P35 rims or another rim?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by juansevo View Post
    Agreed. I actually predicted something along the lines of the Krampus rim/tire combo last fall. Just was wrong on the diameter.

Sevo’s Crystal Ball: Tire Talk | FAT-BIKE.COM

a 26"x3" Knard would usher in a whole new type of bike I feel. Especially after seeing the 1x1 with a semi-fat. I imagine wide carbon bars, carbon fork that can handle the width of the 26"x3" tire......this is your front suspension so to speak. Rear people will go with flex carbon posts, ti post, and a revival of suspension posts. To me this is idea for trails back in MN/IA area where I'm from plus could be a great bike for those on a budget anywhere...or just want something simple/lightweight.

Actually, 650B x 3" would be even better.

Front Range Cyclist
    Actually, 650B x 3" would be even better.
    Maybe, but big problem still is there are very few popular treads available as 650b much less unique ones. All the momentum the size had translated to a bit of a disappointment for those of us eager to try it to only find little "new" at Interbike. I'd say in a perfect world, yes a 3" 650b could be rad, but think about this:

-Lack of market penetration still for 650b. Getting there, but far away
    -Not many stock frames/forks for 650b can handle a 2.4 much less a 3". Sure the White brothers/Origin 8 style forks could handle it. But that's not much in the grand scheme of things.

-Stock tire molds that can be used in any machine that makes tires cost $25,000 and stock machines only can do around a 2.5 max. Typically to be worthwhile you need to see 50,000 tires bare minimum roll out of that mold.

-Only a handful of tire makers out there can do bigger tires. Hence why you don't see many options for fat bikes. This may change (and I hope it does).

-3" 26" tires are a great start because they have exisiting rims they'll fit and many existing bikes. Will be a great tire for fat bike owners looking for something different come summer as well as 26" riders who have 30mm-35mm rims. Existing market for application of such tires is massive.

mtbr member
    I'm thinking that some 29er frames would take a 650b x 3" tyre though?

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Front Range Cyclist
    I'm thinking that some 29er frames would take a 650b x 3" tyre though?

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2
    Are there one or 2? Probably, but keep in mind that even though in theory 650b is smack dab in the middle of tire sizes out there, it's closer in size to 26" than 29 when you put a tire on the rims. You'd get too big of a change in handling.

Reality is, most won't accept such and a 3"x26" tire has far more applications in current products from Fat Bikes to exisiting 26" bikes...even if it's only used up front. It's where a tire company would start. Even then, its' a huge investment to them.

Members who have read this thread: 2