mtbr member

seeking some guidance

I have been tossing and turning at nite trying to figure out if I am going to pull the trigger on a fatbike, and if so, which one.

A few quick questions for anyone with time to answer. . .

Realistically, how likely is it that I will ever need to swap my and rear wheels in the event of a derailleur disaster ? I cant see it being that common . . but then again, all my winter riding to this point has been on slushly roads using studs.

Go for better standover and a toptube more like my mtn bike (longer), or get something with a shorter TT and less standover. I'll be using this bike in all 4 seasons. though more in the fall,winter,spring, but it'll see lots of dirt riding. I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam . . . cross and road bikes are 59cm TT , mtn bike is 25" at TT.

. . . and without beating around the bush, I'll be honest. Im torn between a fatback and a pugs. i like the pugs as it has a classic design and ss options, but the fatback has the better geo (from my ignorant non snow experience), and is aluminium and wont rust . . . where i live salty roads are a plenty . . .
    i know comparing both is like a difficult thing, and probably foolish, but im genuinely just lost. . .

get down!
    I'm about your same size and went with a Mukluk for the rust issue, steel won't really matter when you're running fat tires (imo) and the rear wheel swap thing is never going to happen (imo). The surly CAN run SS easily, when your rear derailleur blows up which is more likely to happen then the rear wheel I think. I think the Surly's look the coolest FWIW haha!
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I vote Pugs.

Keep in mind I haven't ridden anything other than asphalt in the 48 hours of owning it. Haha.

I went with the pugs because every bike I buy I end up selling after a season or two to fund the next adventure. With the pugs I can explore a variety of setups, with a couple wheelsets, if I get bored. Something tells me these fat tires will never bore me though...

mtbr member
    Similar situation here.
    I can get a deal on last years Mukluk build kit (sans frame) and put it on a new Fatback frame for < $1500 or a deal on a local Pugs with V brakes but some nice upgrades, like headset and drive train, for ~ $1,100.
    Leaning towards the Fatback at this time.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

get down!
    ^Never v-brakes! Not on a fat at least.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingerdamous View Post
    I have been tossing and turning at nite trying to figure out if I am going to pull the trigger on a fatbike, and if so, which one.

A few quick questions for anyone with time to answer. . .

Realistically, how likely is it that I will ever need to swap my and rear wheels in the event of a derailleur disaster ? I cant see it being that common . . but then again, all my winter riding to this point has been on slushly roads using studs.

Go for better standover and a toptube more like my mtn bike (longer), or get something with a shorter TT and less standover. I'll be using this bike in all 4 seasons. though more in the fall,winter,spring, but it'll see lots of dirt riding. I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam . . . cross and road bikes are 59cm TT , mtn bike is 25" at TT.

. . . and without beating around the bush, I'll be honest. Im torn between a fatback and a pugs. i like the pugs as it has a classic design and ss options, but the fatback has the better geo (from my ignorant non snow experience), and is aluminium and wont rust . . . where i live salty roads are a plenty . . .
    i know comparing both is like a difficult thing, and probably foolish, but im genuinely just lost. . .
    Why toss & turn ? just get yourself a fatbike I have a fatback & my buddy has a pugs .We were riding soon after we got the bikes & switch bikes mid ride,he wouldn`t give me my bike back He said it rode & handled way better than his pugs,so much so he went home & called up speedway & ordered up a fatback I thought the pugs was OK but I do like my fatback betterFor me I don`t really care about the SS option & the whole switching wheels if ya brake down thing I make it home one way or another I know some don`t like the look of the top tub of the fatback ,I do I don`t really like the looks of the offset on the pugs (bent forks & stays) but to each his own on that But just get a fatbike what ever one & you will be happy like everyone else here that has one.good luck KP

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Good post! I have all the same questions. I am even thinking an IGH because I am worried about running a derailer in sand. Still not sure of the IGH reliability. I have changed my mind numerous times. I plan on making my purchase (still not sure what) sometime in Jan.
    Hopefully our questions will be answered by then.

Cheers,
    Steve