Seeking Right Tire in 4.6 or 4.7 or 4.8- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2015

New question here. Seeking Right Tire in 4.6 or 4.7 or 4.8

Hello, MTBR Fat Bikers.

How are you?
    I just got my fat bike and started modding.

Currently, I have Big Daddy 26x4.0 but want to upgrade to 4.6 - 4.8.

I have narrowed down list of tire based on sizes but want to get some recommendation from the list.

Flowbeist
    Dunderbeist
    Wrathchild
    Dillinger 5
    Barbegazi
    Colossus
    Minion FBF
    Minion FBR
    Jumbo Jim
    Ground Control Fat
    Big Fat Larry
    Bud
    Lou
    Knard
    Bulldozer
    Mission Command
    Snow Avalanche
    Snow Shoe XL

I am in Alberta Calgary area.
    I want tire could handle:

30% Commute - Preferably low rolling resistant but not required.
    +
    30% Snow commute/trail - dry flaky then packed snow condition.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    40% Up/Downhill - mostly natural setting: dirt/mud root rock

I know just like car tire, it's not going to be perfect but If you know the fat bike tire close to my requirement, please let me know.
    (I wish there was BFG KO2 tire equivalent for fat bike.)

Currently thinking Minion or Colossus or Barbegazi or Shoe XL

Thank you.

Rocking on a Rocky
    I have a take off set of Barbegazi tires I'll sell you for $220 CA.
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Bulldozes are a good dirt/rock tire they suck in the wet snow.
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Just another to consider...I hear good things about the Wazia's for offroad traction and good rolling resistance.

I have the JJ in 4.0 size and they are fast and light but not very good for aggressive trail in snow and mud. Good on dirt trail though. They would be fast on the road but i have noticed the rubber compound seems softer than my Vanhelga's, Dillinger's or Wrathchild's.

mtbr member
    The Dillinger 5 are fast rolling and you can easily (sort of) add studs for icy conditions if need be, which may be nice on the frozen rivers in Calgery. They are good overall in light snow and packed trail conditions. Also good for trail in summer.

I personally would prefer a more aggressive tire for mud and deep or heavy snow.

The Wrathchild is pretty aggressive although i have not mounted them yet. I bought them for mixed but more loose and deep snow conditions with the possibility of ice. May be slow on the commute but you can stud them and they have a little bit harder durometer than the flow/Dunderbeist Dillinger. The WC might roll okay? I don't know yet as i have yet to try.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Fat!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    You need two sets of wheels. One set a 26 x100mm rim. 4.8" Bud / Lou for snow. The other a 29" x 50mm for 3.00 Chupacabra for summer. Works for me, at least.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I am also in calgary. I ride bulldozers for everything other than ice. They are extremely durable on pavement and excellent on dirt. They do hold onto mud and are not that good on loose snow though good on hardpack. Riding in the winter in calgary it is almost essential to have a set of studded tires. In west bragg in the winter pretty much the only tire you will see is a studded dillinger 5. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I also have a hodag setup for 27.5 only 3.8 but it is insane in the summer. I would be curious to try the barbegazi also.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Commuting on dry pavement will wear down your expensive fat tires in nothing flat.

Two wheelsets would make more sense, at least for the dry pavement season. Many people run studs in their skinny tired bike, just something to think about.

Another thing is picking a tire for all conditions: there is no such tire. 5" for float and traction in loose snow, 4" for firm snow and mixed conditions , 3" for summer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    @RockyJoe Could you DM me for detail of the product? Used? New? Size? Wear? Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by endo_alley View Post
    You need two sets of wheels. One set a 26 x100mm rim. 4.8" Bud / Lou for snow. The other a 29" x 50mm for 3.00 Chupacabra for summer. Works for me, at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Commuting on dry pavement will wear down your expensive fat tires in nothing flat.

Two wheelsets would make more sense, at least for the dry pavement season. Many people run studs in their skinny tired bike, just something to think about.

Another thing is picking a tire for all conditions: there is no such tire. 5" for float and traction in loose snow, 4" for firm snow and mixed conditions , 3" for summer.
    Yep, two wheelsets minimum, otherwise you have to choose where you want to compromise.

I ride my JJ4.0 x 26 in the summer and will be building another wider wheel set for more challenging conditions and bigger tires. Really, two more wheelsets, an 85mm and a 100mm, each for more progressively soft, deep and loose conditions.

Having said this, you could probably run the Dillinger 5's most of the time. BUT it does make sense to have the D5 studded for snow, ice, and trail and then have another wheelset for commuter tires.

Or have a beater commuter bike too?

mtbr member
    I am biased, but the Maxxis Minions FBF/FBR are effing awesome! The knobs are so grippy, you can lean the hell out of the bike on fast corners. And they are about $210 for the FBF and FBR on Amazon.

However, if you do commuting, you should definitely get another wheelset. Maybe something with 29er gravel/street tires. Low resistance and lighter weight.
    2015 Specialized Rockhopper
    2015 Giant Stance FS (wife's bike)
    2016 Framed Alaskan Alloy

mtbr member
    May 2013
    If two sets of wheels is good, then three sets must be better! 27.5" x 65mm to boot!

turtles make me hot
    Barbegazi is one of my favorites on that list.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Idea! Barbegazi vs Colossus

I will definitely do that in the future: more like two fat bike in the future. One for Commute and One for trail.

But for now I am in the last stage of deciding.....

Barbegazi vs Colossus

Both have zig zap sipe for winter and made for trail use.
    I like Trek Farley EX8 and that's the reason I want to try Barbegazi.
    Colossus is being used by manufacture in upper trim of my bike.

Barbegazi vs Colossus what do you guys think?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I only have experience of the Barbegazi:

They roll very well on the road, especially tubeless, and seem to be wearing well (1200 mixed miles and counting);They seem to work OK on snow (limited experience); They are great on dry natural trails (rocky, rooty, whatever) and will take a hammering. Don't particularly inspire confidence on loose gravel (but I'm not sure whether any fat tyre would). Pretty average in mud.

The Colossus looks like it will be better in mud at the expense of rolling resistance on the road.

Depends on your priorities.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Barbegazi

Mr. Joey agreed to sell pair of Barbegazi to me. Shipped and waiting. I will do write up after installation.

mtbr member
    I'm late to the game but I have experience Barbis and D5's. Barbis hands down if your not studding and using them for commuting etc.

They roll way better than the D5's, traction is adequate for me in dirt and they last a LONG time. I'm somewhat dumbfounded by how long these tires have lasted even with 75% of my miles on tar. My cool Strava app could tell you exactly how long (and how super fast I am) but I bet I have 3,500 miles on my oem Barbis. I rotate them but one of them likely should be replaced soon.
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I've got 3 tire sets of tires for my Alaskan.
    Right now, I have one wheel set, so it Vee 8's for the summer. Faster, quieter, not silent.
    Great for gravel, packed trail or pavement, haven't found their limit yet.
    2nd set waiting for wheel assembly, mounting up the Bulldozer 4.7's. I've run these this spring, found them fun on the local trails (mostly dirt and smooth rocks) and took them on a 70-mile gravel and b-road ride. You won't mistake them for skinnies, but they got me there. Took the wet sandy roads like a champ.
    For winter, I ran Snowshoe XL studded. Our trail system was an ice rink all season, studs or skates. They worked great on packed snow, as well as could be expected in loose snow, and tic-tacced their way along on the ice.
    All sets mounted tubeless on carbon with Orange Seal Subzero.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Arrived. Almost Brand New.

turtles make me hot
    Christmas in May.
    I like turtles

Stand-up philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by evei0326 View Post
    Saw this picture preview in the tapatalk feed and thought it was 2 rubber grenade beer coozies.... And am really disappointed that it's not.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    --
    stephen

no one can appreciate the poor misunderstood

Rocking on a Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by drwx View Post
    Saw this picture preview in the tapatalk feed and thought it was 2 rubber grenade beer coozies.... And am really disappointed that it's not.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    I have two ruined bulldozers if you want to make a couple of beer cozies.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by evei0326 View Post
    Phat Moose is sold out of the 2XL Snowshoe tires. Now I got to spend the money on beer.