Seeking Clarification- Mtbr.com
    Squ-eti

Seeking Clarification

OK, no one seems to like the what size tire?, what's the best bike?, or what pump do I use posts.

Now it seems the general talking about fat bike posts are being discouraged was well. Or at least being mocked by the "cool kids" for now living up to their standards.

So, seeing as how this is a public forum, about fat bikes (and all the posts, redundant or otherwise have been about fat bikes), I'm now left wondering, what is considered an acceptable post that will please the cynical/sarcastic crowd among us???

If you really don't like a post it seems way cooler to not post useless comments to it that contribute nothing to the conversation. The less people comment the less the post stays at the top of the board, the sooner it falls in to oblivion. Or it doesn't. Whatever. This is supposed to be a place where people talk about fat bikes because they're cool and people enjoy riding them.
    "Trails? Where we're going we don't need, trails!"

Rippin da fAt
    So basically we're getting a buncha peeps here from OTN now that it's kinda dead like trials in the states. Some people can't help but to show their arrogance from the kb cause they know ya can't drill em in the face.

But then again there's the dating site feature here called rep. + & - rep...
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

All fat, all the time.
    Seeking Clarification-img_2015121736812.jpg

Let's get back to riding our bikes in the woods, bonus for snow, and extra bonus for trail maintenance.

Ambassador of Chub
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post

Let's get back to riding our bikes in the woods, bonus for snow, and extra bonus for trail maintenance.
    Amen. Much is solved by simply riding bikes (and sharing our fine experiences with others of a like mind), little is solved debating minutiae and opinions on forums.

We had a freakin blast yesterday, and you know what? I never once thought about equipment choices, speed, efficiency...not saying such conversations aren't occasionally informative, but as they say, "talkin's good, doin's better."

"The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smithhammer View Post
    amen. Much is solved by simply riding bikes (and sharing our fine experiences with others of a like mind), little is solved debating minutiae and opinions on forums.

We had a freakin blast yesterday, and you know what? I never once thought about equipment choices, speed, efficiency...not saying such conversations aren't occasionally informative, but as they say, "talkin's good, doin's better."
    a+++

Climbs = necessary evil
    +1 guys. As a former moderator on another forum, I can tell you the heckling / taunting / BS on the forums is annoying and time consuming. I read more than I post here because of these kinds of actions.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2015121736812.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	1036380

Props for the volunteering dude, no sarcasm.

It's actually getting cold in my part of the world, "whoa this snow riding thing might actually happen" feeling is coming and the ... the... what would this be? The novelty? The buzz? Whatever it is, it's good and it hasn't worn off.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mccartney7499 View Post
    1-OK, no one seems to like the what size tire?, what's the best bike?, or what pump do I use posts.

2-Now it seems the general talking about fat bike posts are being discouraged was well.
    3-What is considered an acceptable post that will please the cynical/sarcastic crowd among us???
    I'll give it to you straight up. Referring to you but not necessarily "you", just those considering a new thread/post for the point of asking these type questions.

1-For gear review, the results are in, it doesn't matter how many times it's asked. People have weighed in on a majority of the usage factors. Decide for yourself what applies or does not. News flash: it's going to cost you some money (maybe lots!!) and there will be trial and error unless you find someone to borrow equipment from to try. Bring a unique twist to the question about your intended application, and plain old "where I live" doesn't count. Prove that you've done some research on the topic beforehand.

ie: Don't come asking what the best fat biking saddle is. Ask what is the best saddle for cold weather because my private bits get cold and go numb when I ride my favorite summer saddle.

2-I've not noticed this, but maybe it is the case. We love talking about biking.

ie: You know how that one buddy has the best jokes, good detail and delivers the punchline just perfectly? Then that other guy who just wants to hear himself speak so he jumps in to follow up, and it falls flat, no one laughs and the moment is lost? What I'm saying is, don't be that guy. Be self aware and critical.

3-Bring pictures, lots of good ones are best. Tell a story, using good grammar, not tapped out with your thumbs at a traffic light. Be thought provoking and bring something new to the table. Rehashing the same old sh!t gets old, especially when most of it is fact based.

ie: Daily picture thread- new and different every day. mikesee's posts of 2 new ground breaking frames and his quest for rubber knowledge. Have a new product that no one has posted about (you searched right?) we'd love to read. (no honestly, you searched?)

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    Props for the volunteering dude, no sarcasm.
    I have to admit, it's partly selfish-ness because I get tired of climbing over the same trees all the time haha....but it is good to volunteer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I shoot guns; play golf; dabble in photography; and am back into biking. There are debates and "elitists" in every forum I frequent.

Some folks are always helpful, some are not, and some are in between. Doesn't take long to know who is who.

The common theme seems to be crappy search capabilities of each forum. Noobs are always told to "use the search function" yet most of the time it sucks.

I find it best to post specifics, eg, "what works best for xyz situation." Nobody but yourself can know what would be best for you.

Best to spend more time on two wheels than on here, as others have previously stated.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post

1-For gear review, the results are in, it doesn't matter how many times it's asked. People have weighed in on a majority of the usage factors. < snip >
    I have to disagree BIGTIME. There are new products hitting the market all of the time. A thread asking "Whats the best trail pump" from 6 months ago may already be outdated or at the least maybe one person who has a new product will see a new thread asking about it and chime in. Looking at a thread buried five pages back may have some useful material in it but things are always changing.
    2014 Specialized AWOL
    2016 Specialized Fatboy Trail
    2016 Stache 7 (for sale)
    2017 Kona JTS
    2018 Trek Domane SLR
    2018 Trek Stache 9.7

Kalamazoo Michigan

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by garysol1 View Post
    I have to disagree BIGTIME. There are new products hitting the market all of the time. A thread asking "Whats the best trail pump" from 6 months ago may already be outdated or at the least maybe one person who has a new product will see a new thread asking about it and chime in. Looking at a thread buried five pages back may have some useful material in it but things are always changing.
    Pumps? Okay, so there are a few floor pumps that have come out recently that have a focus on large volumes of air and seating beads. But aside from the recent failed PDW kickstarter, there are no "trail pumps" for fatbikes that are new or revolutionary. I am using a 15 year old Blackburn, and it's fine.

As for "best bike", that's one that's kinda moot anymore. It's like popping into the 29er board or the 27.5 board or the 26 board and asking what the best bike is. There are so many out there that there's no answer to that question. The answer to that question is now and will continue to be, "try a bunch and buy what you like best."

The same applies to any other overly general question (what's the best xxxx?). Either take a leap and experiment, or do some research and then ask detailed, pointed questions so folks who know the items can provide those details.

Yeah, there's a new stuff coming down the pipeline all the time. Recently, that's mostly been tires. A few new bikes here and there. Most of them are hardtails of one flavor or another with nothing terribly special. Again, do a little research first and then ask pointed questions rather than overly general shot-in-the-dark lazy questions.

You don't exactly have to limit your searches to mtbr, either. There's content elsewhere on the internet and a basic Google search will turn up results here as well as elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2015121736812.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	1036380

I want to so bad, there is finally constant snow! No sight of melting! But I made the mistake of going to the lbs to order a service part instead of just buying it online. Now I'm stuck counting the days. I borrowed a FatBike from an friend for a day, and that was a mistake, now I'm just angry at the lbs.

Also, this thread;
    Name:  images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  36.8 KB

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Pumps? Okay, so there are a few floor pumps that have come out recently that have a focus on large volumes of air and seating beads. But aside from the recent failed PDW kickstarter, there are no "trail pumps" for fatbikes that are new or revolutionary. I am using a 15 year old Blackburn, and it's fine.
    But you don't know what you don't know. Sticking with the pump subject lets say I read a 6 month old post and decide on the pump that most people recommend in that thread. Little do I know that just a week ago something new was released and if I had only asked about I would have known. For the record I have a Lenzyne Micro Drive HV that I purchased because of reading the multiple threads on this sub forum.
    2014 Specialized AWOL
    2016 Specialized Fatboy Trail
    2016 Stache 7 (for sale)
    2017 Kona JTS
    2018 Trek Domane SLR
    2018 Trek Stache 9.7

Kalamazoo Michigan

since 4/10/2009
    But you don't know what you don't know. Sticking with the pump subject lets say I read a 6 month old post and decide on the pump that most people recommend in that thread. Little do I know that just a week ago something new was released and if I had only asked about I would have known. For the record I have a Lenzyne Micro Drive HV that I purchased because of reading the multiple threads on this sub forum.
    That's great, but a lot of people do just fine with other stuff. Like I said, I use a 15 year old Blackburn pump. The pump designers never anticipated anyone using it to inflate 4" or larger tires. But guess what, it works fine! So many things are like that. So many things are personal preference. Saddle recommendation threads kill me. What works for me may not (probably won't) work for you, so the only real solution to that is to try a bunch.

Yeah, we don't know what we don't know, but that's how a basic Google search can get you started. Type out your broad and basic question. Maybe -gasp- ask your local shop employees for advice. Read a few lengthy reviews first, and then come to a forum like this one and ask questions about what you've read or have been told. The information is out there. There's not really any excuse now that the internet exists and is full of so much information to ask questions completely uninformed about the topic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    No post will please everyone.
    Make detailed thread titles!! That's key, and makes this easier...

Ignoring threads that are not interesting, and commenting on those that are. Everyone's read different stuff, been around for different periods of time, and are interested in different levels of detail. Telling someone to use the search is lame, because it's often not very effective (and many people probably try that first anyway), not to mention often out of date. Best bet, on any forum, is avoid stuff that doesn't interest you.

Squ-eti
    Maybe what this forum could use is a "please read before posting" sticky that lays out some guidelines and/or suggestions. Thanks everyone for the input, and keeping this a positive post.

It's snowing here for real for the first time this year. Hoping there's enough to play in tomorrow morning!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    OK, no one seems to like the what size tire?, what's the best bike?, or what pump do I use posts.
    More to the point, some get annoyed with repeat, lazy questions that duplicate other recent threads/questions sometimes those that are still on the front page of the forum. Still, yes one has the option to simply not respond - on the other hand if you're going to post a lazy repeat question you probably shouldn't get all bent and whiny when it's remarked upon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Also when looking for an 'all mountain' bike last year, I was able to put together a top 3 list from researching without ever having to post a single question about it. It took some days/weeks but I got what I needed without posting yet another "Honzo vs Nimble 9?" or similar thread.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Part of the annoyance comes from the fact that many people have already taken the time to give fairly detailed answers to a question, sometimes several times, and the question still gets asked again and again. We do genuinely want to help but when people won't even take a little time to look back it can be frustrating. Granted the search function can miss things but usually a few basic words will pull up a lot of information.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Maybe what this forum could use is a "please read before posting" sticky that lays out some guidelines and/or suggestions. !
    They tried that and it didn't work.

It's the weekend, lets ride!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If its game changing, trust us, we'd be actively talking about it. We can beat it to death before it is even available to the public. Otherwise your basic searches would reveal the top 3 best alternatives which would serve you just fine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Someone should be able to ask a question about any specific thing (so long as they've done their due diligence) without fear of being scolded for it. Search - then ask whatever information didn't turn up after you've read through what's already been posted.
    Pretty simple.

aka bOb
    I got beaten with a cyber stick and given negative rep (still am to this day over the same post) where I actually suggested to someone to read the whole thread because it was already answered several times. There was a ton of valuable info in that thread and people to lazy to read through a thread to find an answer irritates me. I imagine they prolly put about as much effort into actual riding. As far as the search function blah blah blah, use google and add fat mtbr into the search and it works great. I've spent hours researching something to get my answers, kinda part of the fun.

Elitest thrill junkie
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.