The Seat Post Talk- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

The Seat Post Talk

I am looking to add a bit more comfort to my fat bike, and wonder if a carbon seat post would be the trick?

I have a Thudbuster LT, and it is really comfy, but maybe too comfy.

My understanding is that a carbon seat post has some give laterally, but what about forward and backward? Or are they mostly for weight weenies?

My current aluminum post is thick (31.x), I have a few shims, probably want to go with a 27.x? Any reason to not use shims? With carbon?

Will I notice any edge being taken off of bumps?

Thoughts? Suggestions?
    it's a challenge some of us are ultimately worthy of.

ebnash
    I would stick with the correct sized post for your frame as I don't care for shimming.

That said, if cost is not a factor, look at Niner RDO Carbon posts. They are designed for lateral bump compliance and comfort. They have some interesting test videos on their site. I was bummed because they didn't make an offset in my tube size but I think they cover your 31.8 in both zero and offset models.

I am using my stock carbon Pivot Pheonix post and it definitely takes the edge off and I can see it active while I'm riding.

Definitely worth the investment.

mtbr member
    Thank ebnash! I will look into the Niner and Pivot posts.

Does the circumference of the post have anything to do with comfort level/shock absorption too?

ebnash
    I am sure that the diameter and wall thickness would affect how much it is able to deflect, but I don;t know how trusting I would be of a 27.2mm carbon post on a trail bike. Just my opinion, but if you are lightweight, under 150lb you could certainly give it a shot...

I would usually just stick with the frame manufacturers decision to spec tubing size for the application. Again, just my opinion...

All fat, all the time.
    If you want the comfort, use your thudbuster.

Carbon will be better than an aluminum post (I noticed a difference when I added my RF next carbon post), but it's minor.

Very similar to handlebars, switch from AL to carbon is noticeable, but only very slightly. No comparison to adding suspension.

I've used a shim on a carbon post. Doesn't hurt it.

blood in / blood out
    The post I use is the Syntace HiFlex Full Carbon P6. Great post and very comfy. A little pricey but you get what you pay for. I own 2 of these posts and they come with a 10 year warranty.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have used a 27.2 Niner RDO seatpost and I am around 180+ pounds. No problems there.

I really like the flexible seatposts. They really do take the edge off.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by majack View Post
    The post I use is the Syntace HiFlex Full Carbon P6. Great post and very comfy. A little pricey but you get what you pay for. I own 2 of these posts and they come with a 10 year warranty.
    That is a go to post of a lot of people.

Maybe Ti?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    T...T...Ti.
    Drink beer. 'Merica!

mtbr member
    For the price of that Syntace, one could drop a few more bucks and go Ti. Any benefit there? Actually, doesn't matter; I'm not gonna spend $200+ on a seat post lol.*

*I actually probably will, ha.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    ^ Did you take your bipolar meds today?

Yes...no...yes...yes...no....f#ck.

aka bOb
    I went with the p6 and it is a great post combined with a Selle gel saddle that gives a little cush as well. I have also heard good reports on people using ti post and even better reports of people shimming down to 27.2 ti post for extra cush.

mtbr member
    Take a look at a Kent Eriksen Ti post. I've used one for about 6 years now. Takes the edge off and is very durable (even for a 230lb guy).

However, the carbon and ti won't be anything like the thud buster. Which seems to be what you're looking for.

Fat & Single
    Syntace P6 HiFlex... does it do what it says in the flexy dept... Fekk nose, but they are comfortable compared to my other bikes.

I don't analyse stuff too much, but I reckon these posts work pretty well.

Rode Syntace Hi-Flex post and Vector bars on 3 bikes now.
    Santa Cruz Hightower LT Evil Following Trek 9.9 Superfly SL IndyFab Deluxe 29 Pivot Vault CX Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Thanks, sounds like a Ti might be a better option.

Now onto the question of shimming, sounds like a couple folks aren't mad about it, with one guy not down. I think I'd be a little wary of shimming carbon, but Ti not so much.

If I go 27.2 and shim it on my fatty, I can use it on my cross bike too. Sounds like a win win. Anybody here against "win-wins"?

Fat & Single
    Tyriverag, whats your bike ? if you have a Ti bike, then Ti could work.

If you have a carbon bike, get with the program matey

Go carbon with everything, suck up the stiffness or pay the cash... in the name of matching bling

Riding a fatty has got a bit hipster, match your sh1t !
    Santa Cruz Hightower LT Evil Following Trek 9.9 Superfly SL IndyFab Deluxe 29 Pivot Vault CX Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    I don't have any experience with shimming. You could email Kent Eriksen or any of the potential vendors and ask them what they think. Eriksen has been very responsive to my emails in the past.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Carbon frame, Ti Post, Al bars, mg pedals, steel magnolias

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Carbon frame, Ti Post, Al bars, mg pedals, steel magnolias
    Man.... I can't wait to see it, Sounds Awesome !

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Whoa whoa backer down a bit here. Did you say fat bike? Is there really any additional benefit of dampening beyond the 4+ inch tires at 4psi? I mean really, how bad can it be?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Tyriverag, whats your bike ? if you have a Ti bike, then Ti could work.

If you have a carbon bike, get with the program matey

Go carbon with everything, suck up the stiffness or pay the cash... in the name of matching bling

Riding a fatty has got a bit hipster, match your sh1t !
    Ha, the bike is aluminum. Trek Farley 6.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skogorbet View Post
    Whoa whoa backer down a bit here. Did you say fat bike? Is there really any additional benefit of dampening beyond the 4+ inch tires at 4psi? I mean really, how bad can it be?

Appears it is bad enough where I would like a bit of the edge taken off, but not as much cushion as a Thudbuster. Does that answer help you weigh in with any useful type of answer?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    My backside's opinion is that 27.2 ti setback post (shimmed) is much kinder than a regular post.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Settle down there cowboy....no one rides 4psi on anything other than mud and snow.

Fat tires will take the edge off, but that don't mean some of those larger hits don't make it through.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Didn't think about that, my tires don't run on anything but snow. Just wondering if you would ever feel the benefits of carbon dampening through big soft tires?

blood in / blood out
    Didn't think about that, my tires don't run on anything but snow. Just wondering if you would ever feel the benefits of carbon dampening through big soft tires?
    Well wonder no more. The carbon seatpost on my Mukluk and my back differ with your statement above.

As for the Thudbuster, they are nice but a little heavy and they all make noise after some use. I have yet to see this post not make noise in the first few months of use. But I did think about it before I bought the P6. The P6 just soaks up whatever the rest of the bike don't.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

mtbr member
    Majack, yeah that was another thing I didn't like about the Thudbuster - the creaking. I took it off and oiled it, but then it was winter before I had a chance to throw it back on, so not sure if that helped.

blood in / blood out
    Quote Originally Posted by tyriverag View Post
    Majack, yeah that was another thing I didn't like about the Thudbuster - the creaking. I took it off and oiled it, but then it was winter before I had a chance to throw it back on, so not sure if that helped.
    From what I have seen, it is the pivots that become loose and rattle. I just could not listen to that when I'm out riding. It is bad enough that I'm getting use to the noise my I9's make when I coast. But that is a good problem to have to have a good set of hubs.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness