Thread: Scott big Ed

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Scott big Ed

Thinking of buying a Big Ed, anyone have experiences good or bad?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Just bought one this last weekend. I live in a desert area with deep sand and rough lava rock islands. Works awesome. I can't believe how well it climbs the rugged rocks. Floats over sand I get buried in with my regular bike with 2.2" tires. I added a Fox dropper seatpost, which is really nice.

I rented a Spec. Fatboy (rigid) before buying the Big Ed. That was good, too, but I really like having the front suspension--makes it way smoother.

Fit and finish are good, weight at bike shop (no pedals) was 32.5#. Running at 4psi. Bike feels unstoppable.

Let me know if you want to know anything else

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

I have one, for about half year. Thinks its great, but only frame and fork are stock, upgraded the rest.
    Bird zero AM with mt7 danny mcaskill, eagle nextie and some fun bits

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Thanks guys for the input. I'd assume I had to personalize once received but it seems like the best value for money with he deal I got. Looking forward to it.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaterra View Post

I have one, for about half year. Thinks its great, but only frame and fork are stock, upgraded the rest.
    what size is that and how tall are ya?

mtbr member
    My buddy has one, easily the best looking of them all.
    He blew out his hub. Broke the axle internally, not loose prior or anything.
    Other than that one mishap, the thing is rad.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'm 190 cm, and it's a L

banned
    Sep 2008
    I'm 190 cm, and it's a L
    Ya you should be on an XL. You dwarf the large.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Newmarketrog. That's interesting that you say that. I am 6'2 with a 32" inseam and told to get the large due to the stand over height and the sizing on the Scott website. Am I missing something?

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by csimon View Post
    Newmarketrog. That's interesting that you say that. I am 6'2 with a 32" inseam and told to get the large due to the stand over height and the sizing on the Scott website. Am I missing something?

Standover height isn't how bikes should be sized. It's a consideration, sure, but ett/cockpit length is the key for proper bike sizing. I'm 5'11.5 and the large fits me spot on. I used to sell scott bikes until a coupla years ago and i'm telling you if yer 6'2 or a bit taller like the other guy in this thread, yer definitely an XL. The ett on the big ed is the same as my charge and i've owned size large scotts before.

I read that size chart just now and you guys fit more in the middle of the XL range.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    Ya you should be on an XL. You dwarf the large.
    No, did some measuring between the xl and L, L with a bit longer seatpost suits me better than an XL, and the XL wasn't available within 6 months, but the L suits me better
    in theorie maybe a xl should be better, but i'm building my own bikes since 1998, and did a lot of racing in europe, so i have a little bit experience in setting up my bike.

move on up...
    Novaterra, I see you are using the maxxis mammoth tires. What are your impressions of them?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Tyres are good, fairly light, fast rolling and enough grip on hardpack and dry roots and rocks, think they are not the best option on wet surface. Stock juggernaut is a boat anchor

banned
    Sep 2008
    No, did some measuring between the xl and L, L with a bit longer seatpost suits me better than an XL, and the XL wasn't available within 6 months, but the L suits me better
    in theorie maybe a xl should be better, but i'm building my own bikes since 1998, and did a lot of racing in europe, so i have a little bit experience in setting up my bike.
    figured the xl prolly wasn't available when you settled for the large.

so long as yer happy on it..............

but i'd surely never recommend a large to a customer of your height. in fact i wouldn't let them buy a large from me, but that's just me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Those charts are fine, but not everybody is build the same, some have long legs, others dont. Most modern bikes are getting longer, sometimes almost too long(top tube), friend of mine rides a BMC, thise things are loooooong. By theyre charts i need nothimg more than an L, and then the toptube is way to long for me, and the seat tube almost too short.
    Same with the big ed, top tube for the XL was too long for me, as i wouldnt want to ride it the same way as is rode my competition bikes.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Those charts are fine, but not everybody is build the same, some have long legs, others dont. Most modern bikes are getting longer, sometimes almost too long(top tube), friend of mine rides a BMC, thise things are loooooong. By theyre charts i need nothimg more than an L, and then the toptube is way to long for me, and the seat tube almost too short.
    Same with the big ed, top tube for the XL was too long for me, as i wouldnt want to ride it the same way as is rode my competition bikes.
    Depends also on what length stem and whether you use an offset or layback seatpost or not. An xl would prolly have you on an appropriate length seatpost with zero offset and saddle rails centered on the clamp and a 75/80mm stem. Stems any longer these days are too long, imo.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Any issue going tubeless with the Syncros 80 rims/wheels?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Stock rims weren't easy to set up tubeless, the bead wouldn't set very good. Swapped them for dt br710 rims, they are very easy to set up tubeless

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Any confirmation on the high Standover Height? Scott recently added the geometry specs for the 2016 model. I'm looking at the XL and it's at 863mm or 34 inches!? That's more than too close for comfort https://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/p...T-Big-Ed-Bike/

mtbr member
    Im buying a scott big jon eds poorer little brother.wont get till next week. I like the big ed but cant afford to spend that much. Im ordering some upgraded parts in advance .the seatpost is 31.6 like eds but I want to order a fixed seatpost clamp/collar.can you tell me the size of the clamp ? thanks JK.

mtbr member
    Just got the big jon, big eds little brother .got the post clamp size 34.9 thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scott big Ed-big-fat-jon-040.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Nice looking bike BIGFAT29! What size is that? Would it be possible for you to measure the standover height? I would need an XL, but the website gives a standover of 863mm (or34"). I'm 6'3" with a 34" inseam, so that's too close for comfort! My local dealer won't order the bike without a full commitment from me to buy. I need to make sure the size is perfect. I really like the look of the Scott fat bikes this year! Good luck with it!

mtbr member
    The bike is a medium .Im 5' 10 " with a 30" inseam and it fits me fine but there is no way I would go any bigger like a large.the bike shop I bought it from ( brimstone bikes canal fulton ohio ) had a large so I tried it for the heck of it but no way its to big for me . as far as standing over the bike with a little room forget it the jewels are crammed but then all fat bikes I ever rode or tried even small didn't have any room as they sit higher off the ground. this bike for example I can dismount only forward over the downtube side saddle dismounts are tricky because its a bigger medium than Im use to. I will try to get standover height later on mine to see if scotts measurements of 811 mm (medium)are close.

mtbr member
    Just checked the standover it is what scott shows on the website. 31.9 inches or 811 mm for my medium. I know people that are your height about 6 ' 3 "to 6' 4 '. they ride large or extra larges. everyone has different inseams and bike companies sizes are different. I just don't know what would be best for you because my medium to me feels bigger than past medium bikes I have had. now that's for the big jon not the bg ed.the big ed with the bluto suspension fork will also have different dimensions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'm 6'2' and i have an L, with 34" inseam

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for the research BIGFAT29. I will take what Novaterra has posted into consideration also. Unfortunately, if I can't test a L & an XL it doesn't look like I'll drop that kind of $$ blind. Thanks again. Enjoy that sweet ride!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I am so in love with the Ed model and I don't know where to get $ from to buy one.

It has everything I need and want from a Fatbike. I wish I can sell my MTB soon so I can seriously sign myself up for one.

Miiiiiiiiiiiiiinneeee.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    so, no real sucsess with going tubeless on stock Syncros 80?

or has anyone got it right? if yes, how?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Have tried it, but wasn't succesfull, beat wouldnt set good. Maybe it works, but didnt worked for me( good reason to buy me 2 sets of dt wheels)

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thx for info.
    Hmmm, dealbraker?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Saw this thread while searching Scott fat bikes and thought I'd chip in.

I'm 6'2" 34" inseam and have a good reach. The shop had all sizes of the Big Jon/Ed in stock. According to Scott's sizing charts 6'2" is at the top end of the L and in the middle of the XL and I have to agree. The size L felt like every other MTB I've had - a good extension on a layback seatpost, seat rails back a bit, an easy reach to the 60 mm stem and loads of standover. But also like every other MTB I've had I had an upright riding position and tended to overwhelm the bike - not exactly bear-on-a-tricycle but heading that way.

In contrast the XL felt fine with a modest extension on an inline seatpost (seat rails centred) and a 50 mm stem, and more importantly me and the bike were in proportion.

It hasn't taken long to get used to the bigger bike. Just riding along there's not much difference but in slow stuff e.g. loose uphill switchbacks and techy climbs my c-of-g was always high and I feel a lot less top heavy now. On the descents the bigger bike feels more stable at the expense of agility and I guess I feel more of a passenger but I can still move around as much as I need to. The big tyres are very flattering and roll over/through stuff like a 29r while still being able to corner like a motorcycle.

One thing I would say about the size L is that its proportions with the big tyres are absolutely perfect - the smaller sizes look overwhelmed and the XL is a big old gate with a slightly utilitarian look to it because of the level-ish top tube. But as the saying goes are you going to look at it or ride it

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Enough is enough! 10/24 I set out to hit a few bike shops in search of my fatty. I knew of one shop that had last years Big Ed in XL in-stock. I was happy to see they had it built and was able to take it for a spin. It fit PERFECT! They didn't have this years model (which I loved) and weren't offering any big sale on last years model. Fine by me. There is a shop closer to my house (great for the tune-ups) that was willing to order the bike for me. I'm 6'-3" with a 34" inseam. The stand over height isn't even 32"! Perfect. Nor did I have any issue with the seatstay and my size 13 shoes (clip-in w/XT pedals). Be careful. Most of the bolt hardware I found to be torx where I'm use to Allen keys (could be an issue when out on a ride as most trail tools don't include torx. I'll look into changing them over.) Also, my bike came with Kenda Juggernaut 4.5 tires where the spec is for Schwalbe Jumbo Jim. Shop looked into it and told me Schwalbe couldn't come through for them (though I see you got yours BIGFAT29) I am enjoying the Kendas, and at 4.5 vs the Schwalbe 4.8 I may be saving some weight, but the Kenda tpi comes in at 60 vs Schwalbe at 127. Still trying to figure how to go tubeless with the Syncros AlexRims, but maybe Santa will bring me some carbon rims with i9 hubs. I have an i9 hub rear on my Niner Air 9 and I'm totally in love with the engagement. I'd settle for just the i9 hub if I can figure how to make these rims tubeless. Have to talk to my shop about it. Here are some pics of my Big Ed. Scott big Ed-fullsizerender.jpgScott big Ed-img_1613.jpg

mtbr member
    That's a awesome bike.nothing wrong with kendas as long as they are over 4.0 and you got 4.5's. someone told me the scott snycros rims were made by dt swiss ? again your bike is frickin awesome nice job !

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Cool bike, the rims are not made by dt, and are hard to make tubeless as the bead won't set gooid enough with the kenda's.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

mtbr member
    That scott is bad ass ! how much does that big ed weigh ? the multicolor rim liners are the coolest Ive seen on a fat bike so far. it looks like your big ed has specialized fatboy rims but has dt swiss decals on the rims. whatever they are they are pretty cool.

mtbr member
    Those look like the new dtswiss fat wheelset.

mtbr member
    Yea I just looked them up awesome rims by dt swiss.I like the cross brace cut out like the specialized rims .very cool.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Dt br2250 wheelset, love them. Thing is 30lbs, with dropper post. Biggest weight savings are the wheels and tyres, almost 7lbs.

mtbr member
    I have a set of those rims laced to hopes. Really kickass hoops.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    News on setting up the Syncros AlexRims Blizzerk 80 tubeless...Success so far! The Kenda Juggernaut Sport seated no problem. I have not taken it out on the trails yet, but got her going overnight and then for a ride up & down the street. I used Gorilla packing tape (it's all the hardware store had. will probably switch it out to the Black Gorilla Tape if/when it starts to fail me.), a Stan's No Tubes presta stem (will need a rubber gasket under the stem locking nut) and a good amount (I lost track after adding 6+ oz.)of the Stan's Tire Sealant. I only did the front wheel for now. If she holds I'll be looking to switch out the rear hub to an i9. Please let this work, PLEASE LET THIS WORK!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Video of French "Big Ed" french community.
    Une Année de FAT - vidéo Dailymotion

mtbr member
    Here's a great test ride video of the Scott Big Ed. Trestle Bike park is the testing grounds.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Scott big Ed

I see big Ed is on special - what's a good street price given the $600 discount - Assume dealers are getting s $600 credit off the wholesale price - is sub $2k reasonable to expect ? What a pretty bike! Thanks

mtbr member
    My wife has one and loves it. Bought it in January for $2300, anything around $2000 would be a good deal IMHO......

Very solid spec for that price.
    2016 Pivot Mach 429er Pro 1X
    2008 Cannondale Rush
    2001 Ibis Ripley Soft Tail
    1997 Ibis Alibi HT
    Motobecane Lurch Fat Bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Fun winter bike

Inaugural ride:
    Name:  big ed small.jpg
Views: 2065
Size:  84.4 KB

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Going to try ridgid, maybe i wont miss the bluto. 1.2kg less is nice

mtbr member

Going to try ridgid, maybe i wont miss the bluto. 1.2kg less is nice
    what fork is that? Looks good
    Last edited by Swerny; 03-02-2016 at 04:34 PM.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    Giant Trance Advanced 1
    Trek Farley 9.6 + Lauf
    Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Ican fork

mtbr member
    Ican fork
    cool thanks.

I guess you bought their thru axle to go with it?

What are your impressions of the fork and the TA?

I'm considering one for my Mayor.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    Giant Trance Advanced 1
    Trek Farley 9.6 + Lauf
    Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Bought it second handed, so everything was with it. Rode a little with it, and it feels good. TA looks good, and does what it has to dop

mtbr member
    I posted these in the big Jon thread, but didn't know there was a big Ed thread.

I have been on mine for about two weeks and I am happy with it. I am riding it stock for now and it is working well. I like the juggernaut tires, though I have read a lot of people don't like the rolling resistance. The my do well with traction in the mixed New England winter we are having. The bluto is nice too. The component spec is fine, though I am thinking of swapping the handlebars out for some with more sweep (I have been riding mary bars for 12 years).

My next purchase will be pedals (I just bought some fenders). I am getting more pedal strike than I am used to, and I think it is a combination of the wider Q factor (pedal strike on the up hill side of off camber trails), a lower bottom bracket than I am used to and bigger platforms than I usually ride. I ride time stacks and have switched to platforms for the fat bike. I like the platforms, especially on ice without studded tires. I'm thinking of going with some Xperia sprys over the plastic platforms I am running now.

Happy riding:

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Nice! The trail looks pretty icy. How's the traction and what pressure are you running?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdl View Post
    Nice! The trail looks pretty icy. How's the traction and what pressure are you running?
    Honestly I could have used studs for that section. I am experimenting with pressures. I weigh around 200 with all my gear. 6 psi is working well. I started that ride with the icy trail at 9 psi and dropped it to 7 by the end of the ride. The lower pressure (even 4psi) does not help with glare ice. I would like to try some grip studs in the juggernauts, but I think the knobs are too small.

Most of he trail was not as icy as that picture. It was frozen diet and some hard snow. When it was that slick I just rode slower and bounce from side to side for traction. Or use the fatbike a strength and ride my own trail.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chetdoo View Post
    News on setting up the Syncros AlexRims Blizzerk 80 tubeless...Success so far! The Kenda Juggernaut Sport seated no problem. I have not taken it out on the trails yet, but got her going overnight and then for a ride up & down the street. I used Gorilla packing tape (it's all the hardware store had. will probably switch it out to the Black Gorilla Tape if/when it starts to fail me.), a Stan's No Tubes presta stem (will need a rubber gasket under the stem locking nut) and a good amount (I lost track after adding 6+ oz.)of the Stan's Tire Sealant. I only did the front wheel for now. If she holds I'll be looking to switch out the rear hub to an i9. Please let this work, PLEASE LET THIS WORK!
    Any updates on the Blizzerk 80s and tubeless? I've been looking into a wheelset with these rim as part of a budget bluto upgrade but can't find any info on them.

mtbr member
    I asked my local scott dealer about the big ed for 2017 and he said the big ed is done.only the big jon fat bike from scott will be available for 2017.Im just going on what he said as that's what a scott rep told him ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I've had good luck with the front wheel set up tubeless. Still have not tried the rear wheel. Definitely make sure you have a good valve stem seal. Can't say enough about the Bluto fork. The Big Ed is a beast.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    That's a shame. If I had to do it all over again, I might buy something with 1x gearing. Maybe Salsa or Fatback. Ed needs to go on a diet!

mtbr member
    Long live Big Ed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Anyone know if the freebody on the big ed can be swapped for xd driver? He wheels are syncros 80's so not sure who makes this hub and if it can be done

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Front and rear baggage for Big Ed

Hello,

I need to put baggage on my BigEd, but it is not easy to find one that fits. And especially looks it is not possible to add front one since front shock absorber. Would you recommend me some baggage models?

Perpetual n00b

Tubeless success!

I had success setting up the Syncros 80mm AlexRims tubeless using the split tube method. The Jumbo Jim tires fit quite snug on these rims and it took some force to remove them so I figured they would seat up pretty easily. They mounted up with a floor pump. The sealant on the floor is from a puncture in the rear tire which sealed up pretty quickly.

Scott big Ed-img_0049.jpg
    Scott big Ed-img_0051.jpg
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Tubeless...check. DRIVETRAIN UPGRADE???

I was also able to get the stock rims tubeless with the Kenda Juggernaut tires. I replaced the rim strips, valves stems and used Whisky Parts tape. They sell it in lengths just enough to do a wheelset.

I am considering upgrading the drivetrain to a 1 x 12. Has anyone done this? Sram NX is a reasonable price, but need to find the right crankset for the 190/197 rear. I may even go to a 170mm crank arm length to cut down on pedal strikes. ANYONE??

If I can set up the drivetrain upgrade, I am also thinking of getting an i9 rear wheel.