Schwalbe jumbo jim vs Kenda juggernaut- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Schwalbe jumbo jim vs Kenda juggernaut

Which is the better tire for all around general use? Looking to go tubeless as well. Will be using in loose dirt conditions and light snow as well. Will be going 4.0. Thanks

Rocking on a Rocky
    The tubeless ready JJs.
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Well, if you read the reviews, the Kenda juggernaut Sports are terrible tires. Close to the worst. But the Kenda juggernaut Pro are among the best tires, and are the lightest - much lighter than JJ - and a lot less expensive.

So.... Did you mean Sport or Pro?

mtbr member
    Definitely meant the kenda juggernaut pro, my bad for not being clear.

Your Best Friend
    The Juggernaut Pro may be amongst the best, but for weight only. Then all of the corners that Kenda had to cut to get it that light become a real liability. Paper thin sidewalls that will shear at the first sign of rocks and zero knobs for traction.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    The 4.5 Pro has taller knobs than the 4.0 Pro.

mtbr member
    Well they're both pretty darn light (both under 1000g) so it just boils down to which one rolls faster with less resistance?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    For road tires, I am all about low RR.

But for MTB tires, low RR may mean a harder durometer, which has less grip. Or it may mean fewer knobs, which is less grip on trails.

So high RR is just going to happen when you have tires that work well on trails. I want tires that are not going to wash out and make me fall.

mtbr member
    My wife rides the Jug Pro 4.5 on her Scott and it has a fantastic amount of traction in snow. I was playing around in the parking lot (packed snow and ice) turning hard on the edges and they dug in nicely at about 5psi front and 6-7 rear. No issues with them so far.

Side by side the Kendas are much more aggressive than the JJs.
    2016 Pivot Mach 429er Pro 1X
    2008 Cannondale Rush
    2001 Ibis Ripley Soft Tail
    1997 Ibis Alibi HT
    Motobecane Lurch Fat Bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by River19 View Post
    My wife rides the Jug Pro 4.5 on her Scott and it has a fantastic amount of traction in snow. I was playing around in the parking lot (packed snow and ice) turning hard on the edges and they dug in nicely at about 5psi front and 6-7 rear. No issues with them so far.

Side by side the Kendas are much more aggressive than the JJs.
    True for the bigger tires 4.5&4.8, but with the 4.0's the Kenda's knobs are tiny and similar to a 4.0 JJ.
    19 Fargo Ti
    '17 Cutthroat
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    I'm not sure why all the hate for the J-pro's. I've got about 75-100 miles of all mixed terrain and ALOT of rocks down here in austin. I was really nervous about the tires and figured that for sure I would slice a tire on the first outing.

They have been perfect despite me blundering through rock fields and sliding down the face of sharp rocks. They are the best tire I've had on my bucksaw by far. I've had nates, knards, h-billies (the worst), and now these. They are cheap, light and work well. I still want to try a set of the JJ's when the price comes down.
    Ridley Helium // Ribble Sportive Racing // Giant STP 1 // Wraith Paycheck // Wraith Hustle // Salsa Bucksaw

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I ordered the Jug-pro's late last week so I can put my Beargrease on a diet come spring time. Obviously these are pretty reasonably priced and cost a lot less than the Schwalbe offerings. We'll see how these hold up tubeless in a few months..

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Will the Jug Pro work with tubes? I see everyone goes tubeless but my crappy rims wont work tubeless.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith-OH View Post
    Will the Jug Pro work with tubes? I see everyone goes tubeless but my crappy rims wont work tubeless.
    Any tire works with tubes

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Has anyone had a chance to compare theese long term?

I'm using JJs at the moment, and may switch to Kenda, but are they any better besides wieght?

My fatbike is the only bike a use, so I ride a lot of asphalt and hardpack too

PS: 4", JJ liteskin vs. Juggernaut Pro

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    Well, if you read the reviews, the Kenda juggernaut Sports are terrible tires. Close to the worst. But the Kenda juggernaut Pro are among the best tires, and are the lightest - much lighter than JJ - and a lot less expensive.

So.... Did you mean Sport or Pro?
    Vee Missions have been knocked off the podium??
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1367 View Post
    Has anyone had a chance to compare theese long term?

I'm using JJs at the moment, and may switch to Kenda, but are they any better besides wieght?

My fatbike is the only bike a use, so I ride a lot of asphalt and hardpack too

PS: 4", JJ liteskin vs. Juggernaut Pro
    My experience was the jugs were very slow rollers compared to the jims. ymmv. They did make my crestone stupid light but that was about it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by joeduda View Post
    My experience was the jugs were very slow rollers compared to the jims. ymmv. They did make my crestone stupid light but that was about it.
    4.0 or 4.5? Pro or Sport?
    '15 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    '19 Karate Monkey
    Motobecane Boris
    Raleigh Willard 3, Furley & Militis 3 (SS)
    Nashbar Carbon Road

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by blkangel View Post
    4.0 or 4.5? Pro or Sport?
    4.0 pro

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I'm thinking about the Jumbo Jim's 4.8's w/snake skin. Besides a LBS, where have you all found them on line? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Branner View Post
    I'm thinking about the Jumbo Jim's 4.8's w/snake skin. Besides a LBS, where have you all found them on line? Thanks.
    Google

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by Branner View Post

universalcycles.com
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by joeduda View Post
    I finally got a chance to test them (Juggernaut Pro 4"). Seems like my "mileage" is about the same - they are sloooooooowww. To the extent that when I was cycling downhill on the asphalt with quite a high tire pressure I was actually slowing down, it felt bizarre (JJ accelerated in same conditions)

I got to say, the compound seems to be very tacky - that helps a lot in many situations (climbing some hills without wheel slipping was a bliss), but as soon as you get to surfaces like some snow over layer of leaves, short thread of Jugg can't handle it (they grip top layer, but the surface underneath just slides away)

They seem to accelerate well due to lesser rotational weight, but only first few spins of the pedals.

So, in the end, if you never ride asphalt or hard pack, I'd recommend them, as they are crazy light and grip better that every sub 1.5kg tires I tried. But if you want to ride fast sometimes - never put this tire in the back, it's just too slow even at the highest pressures you'd want to use on a fatbike.

Next thing I'm going to try Jugg-front JJ-rear combo. Hope it would perform better in variety of conditions.

Flying Sasquatch
    For me the JJ's rolled nice but had such poor traction on hardpack and loose dirt that I had to ditch them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I just ordered tires for winter season as my Kenda Juggernaut Pro 26x4.00 absolutely suck in muddy terrain.
    Cornering grip makes it almost dangerous to ride in fall and winter in Denmark.
    I ordered On-One Floaters and Specialized Ground Control (both 4" width) for winter tires

since 4/10/2009
    Yeah, I know a guy who got some jug pro 4.0s for his beargrease for summer riding. He tells me they're sketchy in corners at speed.

mtbr member
    I agree with adam1367, I felt there were times I had to pedal my bike going DOWNHILL. It was the only tire I have ridden that I had that sensation. I put over 1,000 miles on my modified Jug 4.0 pros and couldn't wait to take them off. Yes, they are crazy stupid light, but they are just a poorly designed tire in my opinion. I have around 1200 miles on my JJ snakeskins and absolutely love them compared to the Jug pro, Husker, Knard, Nates, or Larrys. The JJ's roll great when pumped up to 16psi for the back roads and I really like them down around 10-12 for hard packed trails. Looking forward to using them in the winter on groomed singletrack.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I had a pair of Juggernaut Pro 4.0 tires. What piece of shit tires they were. Never again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I know you want 4.0, but the Juggernaut Sport 4.5s have been decent....makes me skeptical of all the hate they seem to get online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I switched from Kenda Pro 4.0 to JJs. I did not care for the traction of the Kenda in the corners. I had no trust in them for traction.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumblefish29er View Post
    I know you want 4.0, but the Juggernaut Sport 4.5s have been decent....makes me skeptical of all the hate they seem to get online.
    You have to look at the thread pattern of the 4.00" vs the 4.50" then you will see why people running the 4.00" doesn't have any corner traction

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KTMNealio View Post
    For me the JJ's rolled nice but had such poor traction on hardpack and loose dirt that I had to ditch them.
    Wow, exactly the opposite of my experience with the JJ's. What pressure were you running?

Flying Sasquatch
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos View Post
    Wow, exactly the opposite of my experience with the JJ's. What pressure were you running?
    7-10 psi. I weigh 265 out of the shower though. So when I ran them at lower pressure they felt vague and unstable in corners and g-outs. I ride all mountain though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    For me JJ's are a fast rolling, medium grip, predictable tire.
    The Juggernaut Pro 4.0 on the other hand are almost bizzare. They have a dead spot where it feels like I can turn the handlebars and nothing happens but at the same time when riding at speed on hard pack they react almost violently to small, and large, ruts shooting sideways without warning. This was worse on 85mm rims than 65's but present on both. Changing pressure did not seem to help nor did changing bikes.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I own both and have been skeptical about the comments about the Jug Pro being slow. I mean, it has pliable sidewalls, low knobs, and it's light, should be fast. Plus I want to like them because they're so light. Other than "feel" I wasn't sure how I could test this and decided to do a simple roll-out comparison (just finished 10 min ago).

Test: I started from a stop on a gentle slope that flattens out for awhile, then inclines very gradually. This was over maybe 250'.

Result: JJ rolled about 20' farther. And honestly, riding them back to back within a few minutes, the JJ felt like it rolled better.

Despite the difference in knob profile, if there is any moisture, even high humidity, I think they both have poor turning traction.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos View Post
    I tried 6-12 PSI. 8 psi is where I like my JJ. I weight 146 lbs.

frl
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    If you think jug pro is fast. Read this

Fat Bike Tires Rolling Resistance Reviews

mtbr member
    I've been waiting for a JJ 4.4-4.6 since they first came out. I loved the 4.0's but they just don't provide enough rim lip protection for rims greater then 80mm. I loved the 4.8's even though they were over kill in summer for what I ride, but after stretching to full size they started to rub my chain stay.

Finally I got my hands on some JJ 4.4 lite skins!!! Only to find out it's just too tight of a fit on my wife's Farley 6. So that eliminates the swapping of wheels from both our bikes. Anyone looking for the new 4.4's, PM me!

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Ok, so I did 15km ride on Kenda JugPro4 just before changing to Dillinger 5s. I pumped 'em up higher that I normally do, and my route was mostly asphalt and hardpacked snow. The temperature was about -5C (previous test was at about +5C). Here are my conclusions:
    1) Kenda rolls better when it's colder (seems like it sticks to surface less)
    2) Kenda should be pumped up higher that similar size tires, and it still stays quite soft (at least on 60mm rim)
    3) Contrary to 1.5kg Dillinger, 0.8kg Kenda gives you dynamics comparable to narrow tired bicycles (given light rims). Bike's behavior is less FAT-ish, which is good for aggressive riding, when you slow down and accelerate a lot. For steady cycling it doesn't matter that much, and it's harder to hold constant high speed with Kenda's compound. Uphills seemed quite easier with Kenda.

After I adjusted to heavier D5s and stopped trying to accelerate to top speed too fast, I noticed higher top speeds with D5s compared to Kenda.

So, after all, I'd say my first impression was a bit misleading, and Kenda is not that bad in comparison. But I still think JumboJim would be better, at least as a rear tire.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm finding each tire has its sweet spot....the KJuG 4.5s feel great around 6 psi off-road, but are generally slow as hell on hard pack and pavement when set up that way. Fortunately, I am not riding a fat bike because I want to be fast on hardback. In conditions not really meant for traditional bikes I have been happy, from sugar sand to brand new snotty pine forest trail/swamps.

That said I'll probably get some JJ 4.0 to put on my 65mm rims for summer use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk