Salsa Updates!- Mtbr.com

Thread: Salsa Updates!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Salsa Updates!

Mukluk, Enabler, Mukluk Ti and Surly’s Big Fat Larry | Salsa Cycles

Looks like there is enough clearance for BFLs and hundies as expected.. It also doesn't appear to be running the MWOD chainrings but later it states that there is rub in the granny. Thus we can expect to have to make some drivetrain mods and use the MWOD. Shouldn't be a surprise. I'm thinking we can drop two cogs and be good.

The Ti frame has slightly less clearance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Interesting that clearances were basically the same for the BFL on either the 80 or 100 mm rim.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker View Post

The Ti frame has slightly less clearance.
    The Ti frames they checked were protos. The text says that production frames will be more generous. They don't say by how much though.

Either way, it would appear that all Muks will clear with 100's and BFL's mounted up with drive train mods. Good news for sure!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

poser Administrator
    good to see that it also works in the Enabler on all the sizes of rims for those fat front aficionados.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Very cool that they made the effort to clarify that there are no changes to the chainstay geometry and that thus, you can fit a BFL into either the current or new muks (albeit with some limitations to big cog usage).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    good to see that it also works in the Enabler on all the sizes of rims for those fat front aficionados.
    That post just made a Fat Front 'ficionado (FFF?) out of me! Pulled the trigger last night on an Enabler an Handpun Surly/Sheba wheel. Now to find a BFL...

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by spovegas View Post
    Very cool that they made the effort to clarify that there are no changes to the chainstay geometry and that thus, you can fit a BFL into either the current or new muks (albeit with some limitations to big cog usage).
    I'm thinking, (And have had my thoughts confirmed), that an Origin 8 Sub Compact ISIS crankset will work with a 100mm ISIS BB and clear the BFL's on a Mukluk.

The Sub Compact is designed to carry two rings. The big ring is based on a 104BCD and sits slightly inboard of where a big ring on a triple would be. The inner ring is a 64BCD and sits approximately where the middle ring would be on a triple.

See where this is going?

The Sub Compact is made in a few versions. I'm not sure the square taper version is the same, but if it is, that one could be used with a Phil 100mm square taper BB. There also is a two piece, out board bearing version, which obviously will not work.

I have the ISIS version in hand and will be using it on my titanium Mukluk build. I'll post up some images of that, or perhaps another build using this soon, if possible.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    Nice!
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

It aint gonna ride itself
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    I'm thinking, (And have had my thoughts confirmed), that an Origin 8 Sub Compact ISIS crankset will work with a 100mm ISIS BB and clear the BFL's on a Mukluk.

The Sub Compact is designed to carry two rings. The big ring is based on a 104BCD and sits slightly inboard of where a big ring on a triple would be. The inner ring is a 64BCD and sits approximately where the middle ring would be on a triple.

[...].

I have the ISIS version in hand and will be using it on my titanium Mukluk build. I'll post up some images of that, or perhaps another build using this soon, if possible.
    *bump*

Hey Ted, have you gotten a chance to try this out yet?

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by MauricioB View Post
    *bump*

Hey Ted, have you gotten a chance to try this out yet?
    I'm saving mine for a titanium Mukluk, but I do now know this works, as my friend at Milltown Cycles, Ben Witt, has done this and not only on his demo Muk with BFL's, but on several customers fat bike builds since.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Enjoyin' life....
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    I'm saving mine for a titanium Mukluk, but I do now know this works, as my friend at Milltown Cycles, Ben Witt, has done this and not only on his demo Muk with BFL's, but on several customers fat bike builds since.
    Yep, with mine being one of them. He's working on a friend's of mine with the same crankset as we speak. It works fine. No problem.
    Wally

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Yep, with mine being one of them. He's working on a friend's of mine with the same crankset as we speak. It works fine. No problem.
    All right then, I think I'll pull the trigger on a set of these...I like the Big Earl but I'd like to try a BFL out back even more. Thanks for the info!

Okay, I got that an Origin 8 Sub Compact ISIS crankset and installed it, with 32/22 rings, on my existing FSA Platinum DH bottom bracket. I measured the distance from the E plate to the rings before removing the Big Earl...with the Origin 8 in place I've gained about 4mm outboard from the centerline and lost about 150 grams. My hope is to be able to run 2x8 with a BFL on the rear and still clear the sidewall. We'll see. If not, I might go 7 speed in back.

Enjoyin' life....
    Honestly, you will do fine with 7 cogs in the rear. I just came back from a really nice ride in MN on some very nice singletrack. We rode thru woods requiring tight handling, hit lots of ravines with decent climbs, plus did some decent long, staggered climbs on both dirt and grass. The Mukluk performed very well. The bike is a handful in the tight singletrack we were sometimes on; very tight in the trees with heavy slow steering. Still, given the ability and the way it performed overall, not a problem. I could have easily used 2x4 gearing and it would have been fine.
    Those BFL's got up to 17 mph on one downhill section. Damn, what a hoot. I have not had so much fun in the woods on a bike in a long time.
    Wally

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Ocho,

What gears would you drop? I'm looking at converting to the 2x7 as well, and can't decide if I want to keep the 11 and drop the 12 and another mid-range gear, or what. Thoughts? I'm getting a Muk 2, with the E13 crankset (and wanting to fit BFLs).

Enjoyin' life....
    11 and 12. You won't need them. I'm running 32/22 up front and coupled with the 13 (or whatever) - 34 in back is awesome. You need the Surly spacer and lock ring kit to do it right though.
    Wally

The other thing I'm considering would be a 7-speed cassette with the standard spacer to make it fit an 8/9 cassette body, shifted with a Deore DX thumb shifter.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MauricioB View Post
    The other thing I'm considering would be a 7-speed cassette with the standard spacer to make it fit an 8/9 cassette body, shifted with a Deore DX thumb shifter.
    That's exactly how my Pug was setup when I first built it. It worked very well but didn't do anything to save weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker View Post
    That's exactly how my Pug was setup when I first built it. It worked very well but didn't do anything to save weight.
    Right, and that brings us back to the point of this thread, which is that it mainly offers more chain/tire clearance. Any weight savings is just gravy...