Salsa Mukluk Fit (2015 and earlier) short rider- Mtbr.com
    Car
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Salsa Mukluk Fit (2015 and earlier) short rider

I have a chance to get a 2015 Salsa Mukluk for a nice price; the problem is it is only available in a small and there's no chance of a demo before purchase.

I am 5'2" with a 29" inseam. I currently ride a 2015 Salsa Vaya in the 50cm. The stack and reach on that is very low and I've found does not correlate well to fat bike geometry at all.

The only fat bike that is readily available in my size for test rides for about a 3 hour driving radius in SE Michigan is the Specialized Hellga and Fatboy. I've ridden the Hellga in the small and found it slightly cramped, although the seat was not all the way back and the seatpost was only showing about 1". I've also ridden the Fatboy in the medium and can conclude that it is definitely too big!

Looking at the geometry between the xs and small, the only real difference seems to be the reach of 15mm. The standover, in fact, is lower on the small.

Am I crazy in thinking that I can fit the small? Looking at the geometry of the new Mukluks, the reach is almost the same in the xs as this older model. The other fat bike that I am looking at is the Surly Wednesday, which in an xs has a similar reach, but shorter stack.

The bike would primarily be used for winter snow riding on an ungroomed rail trail, with some occasional easy singletrack in the summer.

Any help would be appreciated!

WNC Native
    My wife had a small 2013 Mukluk and is now on a small 2015 Mukluk. She is 5'4" with a 29.5" inseam. She fits the bike well with a 75mm stem.

My mom also took the 2013 for a ride and she is 5' 2-1/2" with a 29.5" inseam. She would have been perfect with a 50mm stem on the 2013.

IMHO you could easily fit on the small Mukluk with a 35-50mm stem.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    My son is 4'9" and can decently ride my small 2013 Mukluk (90mm stem) and 2015 Bucksaw (80mm stem) on easy stuff with the seatpost centered on the rails. Shorter stem, narrower bars and he'd have no problems taking it out on moderate single track. As is, his only problem riding it in snow is getting mounted over a high TT from a stop with my long stem (stretched out superman style). Combination of TT slope and nose of the saddle makes standover difficult, but he is 5" shorter than you. Once rolling he can go all day. If I had to guess there's about 3" of seatpost showing when he's comfortable on the Bucksaw.

I think it's a toss up. You'll probably fit but if you are particular about positioning or have any aliments it might be difficult to get comfortable.

Car
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Thanks a lot guys, I grabbed it Not that particular about positioning and *knocks on wood*, no ailments.

If anyone else is looking: Salsa 2015 Salsa Mukluk Ti complete Bike in Tree Fort Bikes Complete Fat Bikes

Tree Fort Bikes has the 2015 titanium mukluk in small for $2400. Pickup only.