Salsa Mukluk 1x10 - Bikepacking - Crankset Suggestions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Salsa Mukluk 1x10 - Bikepacking - Crankset Suggestions?

I am building up a Salsa Mukluk which will be a fatbike bikepacking bike and I am seriously considering a 1x10 (with OneUp extender) or 1x11 (price might kill this later option) drivetrain but I need to be able to fit small chainrings, i.e., 26T.

So I am am looking out for suggestions on a suitable crankset. I have discounted the SRAM X1 1000 due to its 94 BCD. At the moment my short list of possibilities is rather short: Race Face Turbine Cinch (pain but with the requirement I think to have to use a Race Face BB, a special tool Race Face BB tool etc) or maybe a SRAM X9 with a removable spider.

Any suggestions or which of these two is the best option? It seems being able to get 26T chainrings and fit a 100mm bottom bracket are a less than common combination.

Thanks
    Andrew

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    There are several BB that will fit the RF spindle. I have an old style Turbine and BB and used the same Park wrench that I use on Shimano BB's

There are N/W chainrings that fit the inner 64mm BCD on standard 3x cranks w/ 26,28,30T.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    There are several BB that will fit the RF spindle. I have an old style Turbine and BB and used the same Park wrench that I use on Shimano BB's
    The Mukluk takes a "standard" BSA BB. For some reason I had an impression that the Race Face BSA30 was a different specification from say a SRAM GXP BB and hence I need a different tool. Does this also mean say a Hope BSA 100mm BB would be okay?

I think I need to get my head around BB

EDIT: Okay got it. I need a BSA30 BB. Race Face or other brand.

Looks like Race Face Turbine Cinch is the best option with the 64 BCD or DM chainrings + a bash guard

Thanks
    Andrew

mtbr member
    Next silly question. I have now come across Race Face Ride which Wiggle (UK) are selling with a BB for $US121 whereas the Race Face Turbine Cinch crank (no BB) is $US178.

I am guessing the Ride does not have the versatility of the Turbine Cinch but that aside is there anything to suggest that the Ride is not a possible option?

Thanks
    Andrew

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Aushiker View Post
    Next silly question. I have now come across Race Face Ride which Wiggle (UK) are selling with a BB for $US121 whereas the Race Face Turbine Cinch crank (no BB) is $US178.

I am guessing the Ride does not have the versatility of the Turbine Cinch but that aside is there anything to suggest that the Ride is not a possible option?

Thanks
    Andrew
    Stick with the cinch system if you want versatility.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Stick with the cinch system if you want versatility.
    I think that is the way I will go. The only other realistic option is SRAM X9 by the looks.

Andrew

mtbr member
    because you said bikepacking....

-raceface turbine cinch
    -26t n/w chainring
    -40/42 cog

when not bikepacking switch to a 30t or larger ring and remove the 40/42t.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I am running the Race Face Turbine Cinch with 26t DM NW ring and a 40t Hope T-Rex out back. Worked great for bike packing on my fat bike and I've left it on for general snow riding. Great crank... very versatile.

mtbr member

Salsa Mukluk 1x10 - Bikepacking - Crankset Suggestions?

Do you have the stock chainrings and crank? Or is this a bare frame?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tundratrader View Post
    Do you have the stock chainrings and crank? Or is this a bare frame?
    Bare frame.

Andrew

mtbr member

Next part of my Salsa Mukluk build is now under way ... made the decision to go with a Race Face Turbine Cinch crankset which I was able to get out of the UK for AU$228/US$177 from Ubyk in Oxford.

Next stage ... 1x10 with OneUp components. I don't think I will go with 2x10 build.

Andrew
    Last edited by Aushiker; 03-29-2015 at 03:23 AM.

turtles make me hot
    I'm not a huge fan of any of the single 40 or 42 tooth rings. Being a big boy, I feel they put too much stress on the freehub.
    Now, not sure how good the quality is on these, but I just saw in my new issue of Dirt Rag that Sun Race is now selling 10 speed 11-40 and 11-42 cassettes. All of the gears are on an alloy carrier. Looks like a better solution to me.
    I am in the process of building my son a fat bike and we got a Raceface crankset on Ebay for 90 bucks. I bought him a Wolftooth NW 26 tooth ring and an 11-36 XT cassette. I'll see how he does with that and if necessary, maybe get the 11-40.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Now, not sure how good the quality is on these, but I just saw in my new issue of Dirt Rag that Sun Race is now selling 10 speed 11-40 and 11-42 cassettes. All of the gears are on an alloy carrier. Looks like a better solution to me.
    Are these available anywhere?

Andrew

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Surly o.d. cranks are a great option for this. On a 170mm spaced muk you can run a 26T or a 28T on the inner position and have a great chain line. Then run a bash on the outer position. The surly 26T ring is ~$20, not sure how much the new 28T ring is going to be.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Aushiker View Post
    Are these available anywhere?

Andrew
    All I know is I saw the page ad in Dirt Rag.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    How did the build go? Those sunrace 10spd 11-42 sure look promising. The price point on all of the complete cassettes is coming down.

parenting for gnarness
    Good thread, I just found the options for a NW 26t, like it a lot. On the Wolf Tooth site, they say you can use it with a 9 speed system using a 10speed chain.

FWIW, I have found getting a 40 instead of a 42t for a rear ring greatly relieves the stress on the deraileur. Also been told by several mechs that SRAM is a little better in that department than shimano, ymmv.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote