Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Salsa expansion. Blackborow

104K views 508 replies 106 participants last post by  Johns0n 
#1 ·
Salsa seems to be expanding in many directions. They have as many Fat Bikes as regular bikes, maybe more. The one that caught my eye is the new Blackborow seen here.

It has room for 5" tires 132mm BB shell, 76mm chainline and alternator dropouts making for a very adaptable bike.

They even have a dinglespeed version.

There are a few things I would do a little different but overall it looks like a nice bike.

Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle fork Wheel

What do you think?

See less See more
#242 ·
. . . and I'm as guilty as anyone for letting the lust rule me and dropping cash that I have no business dropping. But hey, you only go around once, so you gotta ride both your finances and your bike hard. Or at least that's my justification.

They say you can't take it with you, and I'm making damn sure of that.

#243 ·
Finally...

I have my Blackborow 1... Unfortunatly, I hurt my back and won't be able to ride it before a week or so... Anyway I'm outside town next week for work.

This bike looks like a monster truck (XL)! Just shy of 35 pounds with pedals (bathroom scale). Hope to drop a pound with Q-tube and another one going 1x eventually

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Wheel
Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle frame
Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel rim Wheel Automotive tire

#245 ·
I've had my Blackborow for about a couple months and installed a Blackburn outpost fat bike rack and Outpost cargo cage.

The rack is a universal fit, has tons of adjustments to make it fit just about anything. I find the fit to be kinda sloppy on this bike, if the frame allowed I could easily clear 8" tires with this rack... That is with the adjustments in their lowest setting height wise, and narrowest setting width wise. If the bike had the normal rack mounts, it would probably work/look better. I ordered the Salsa alternator rack hardware kit, and the seat post clamp with rack mount. With all bolts tightened it feels pretty solid.
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Wheel Bicycle part Wood

Mode of transport Bicycle part Wood Bicycle accessory Bicycle frame

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Bicycle saddle Bicycle accessory

The Outpost cargo cage, I had to drill a hole at the top of the cage to be able to utilize all three bolts on the fork. The sleeping bag I had strapped to it is about as much as the straps could handle.

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Rim

Automotive tire Rim Bicycle Bicycle wheel rim Hardwood

Product Bicycle wheel rim Hardwood Wood flooring Bicycle tire

Overall I love this bike! Waiting for wolftooth 28t chainring to become available for 1x10. Got some I9 hubs (blue) and nextie 65mm snow leopards ("process blue" w/white nextie decals) on order, should be here early-mid April :cool:

#247 ·
For those who are running a Lou/lou combo, how have you mount the front and rear tire? Mine came from my lbs front: propulsion, rear: cornering. I mounted them the other way around while switching my stock tubes for something lighter.

#256 ·
Salsa Blackborow small review

Hi Guys

After two short ride and a longer one yesterday, I have to say that I love my new BB! I was afraid that the bike would feel too long (XL) but it feels somewhat compact. I think the stem is on the long side though (110mm!) and I feel some pressure on my palm after longer time on the bike. Maybe going for an 80mm would be enough and/or getting some rise bar would solve this little problem.

Really glad about the quality build as well: confy saddle, crisp shifting with X9 RD, thompson stem and seatpost. Not too fond of the BB7 brake. There ok but I think I will get some XT brake eventually.

I was surprise how well the bike is handling in thight corner/slow speed maneuver, even if I read it before in this thread!!

After my longer ride yesterday, it became clear that I would go the 1x route eventually. I did 2500 feet up and down and was almost 90% on the 22. I'm not in good shape right now after almost 7 month without riding regularly (injury, bike failure and winter time). Probably with a RF turbine cinch or Next SL, a small chain ring (26 winter and 30 summer) and a 40T at the back.

I got the pressure down to about 5 psi. I'm afraid to pinch flat with those Q-tube SL alone in the middle of the forest. I will try to set the tire tubeless soon.

Here's a few pics of my last ride:
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Winter Automotive tire Bicycle part
Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Automotive tire
Bicycle tire Tire Winter Automotive tire Bicycle wheel rim
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Bicycle fork
Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Winter

#260 ·
I love the bike more and more... Can't wait to ride it on the dirt! Hopefully still some crust riding in the next days...

Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Tire Bicycle frame
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Winter Bicycle wheel Bicycle accessory

#269 ·
Has anyone with a DS changed the rear gearing to 19/23? I'm looking to do this for two purposes:

1) Better HI gearing for trails. I find that 26x22 is just too low, as some of the trails have some flats that would suck majorly in Lo, and yet, 30x18 is just a tad too high for the climbs. I rode a 3-mile section last week that had ~1,300ft climbing, and it was brutal. 30x19 should give me a gearing that is slightly under my skinny tired 29er SS (32x20).

2) Shorten the chainstay. This is my main question. Can you fit a 19/23 rear cogs without lengthening the chain? The Alternator is fairly close to the min adjustment range already. I don't know how much further I can push it forward. I don't have neither a 19 or 23T to try this out.

Thanks for any input.

#270 ·
I am having a problem with my front thru-axle. It seems there's always a litlle bit of play. I went to my LBS this morning, they told me it looks like the axle don't have enough tread. So when it's thighten to the max, there's still a small play between fork and hub. My axle is a Rock-Shox. They will check with QBP if they encoutered the same problem on other bike and how to fix it. They told me it's safe to ride the bike like this for now...

Anobody had the same problem?

#281 ·
i would totally run 3.8 knards on marge lites on a blackborrow. year round.

you'll love the knards. i've ridden mine hard for a year now in every condition and they are fantastic tires. had record snows this winter and it lasted till a week ago and the knards rolled crazy good in the snow.

on dirt they're ridiculous:)

#282 ·
Purchased mine last week from the good people at Saturday Cycles. Fantastic service.

After one ride, I knew I would need to tweak the gearing, so purchased a 19T cog to replace the 18T. Unfortunately, Surly doesn't make a 23T, so an Endless is on order. Also added a couple of bits to replace the stock parts. Thomson set back seat post is also on the way. Overall, it is a fun bike. I love the geometry. With the current 30x19 gearing, the chainstay is right at 17.37 inches. The bike feels much more nimble than other fat bikes I've ridden, and the 5" tires are amazing.

Attachments