Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 401 to 500 of 508
  1. #401
    Lord Thunderbottom
    Reputation: TitanofChaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    907
    I think the new Trek Farley 7 might fit the bill too, built a few at the shop this week, geometry numbers are almost dead on with the blackborow, but it has a carbon fork and 1x11

    Farley 7 - Trek Bicycle
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

  2. #402
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Windigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by TitanofChaos View Post
    I think the new Trek Farley 7 might fit the bill too, built a few at the shop this week, geometry numbers are almost dead on with the blackborow, but it has a carbon fork and 1x11

    Farley 7 - Trek Bicycle
    Interesting, says it fits 26x5 or 27.5x4. Does anyone even make that size?

  3. #403
    .44
    Reputation: stremf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Windigo View Post
    I'm looking at 2 bikes on sale BB DS $1699 or RM Blizzard with Bluto $1899. I'm leaning hard toward the BB even though the RM has 10 speed with XT, hydraulic brakes and a Bluto fork for only $200 more.
    Holy crap, that's a good deal on the DS. Bought mine for much much more than that! Still love the rig. 2 speeds and all.

  4. #404
    Lord Thunderbottom
    Reputation: TitanofChaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    907
    Quote Originally Posted by Windigo View Post
    Interesting, says it fits 26x5 or 27.5x4. Does anyone even make that size?
    This is trek's gimmik this year, it's amusing but IDK if it will catch on, it makes a 4" tire the same OD as a 5" tire, so geometry doesn't change when swapping wheels, maybe I'd care if I wasn't all in on 5" all year round
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

  5. #405
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by Windigo View Post
    I'm looking at 2 bikes on sale BB DS $1699 or RM Blizzard with Bluto $1899. I'm leaning hard toward the BB even though the RM has 10 speed with XT, hydraulic brakes and a Bluto fork for only $200 more.
    What sold me on the BB was the alternator dropouts because I like drivetrain options. If I had the option to buy a BB DS for that much $$ I wouldn't hesitate! But in the end it all depends one what you want to do with the bike. Those two bikes in their configurations are quite different.

    FWIW I have an Origin8 Crawler that I converted to DS and absolutely love it! For me, as a DS/SS newb, the hard part is figuring out what chainring/cog combo to use for my riding conditions. Once I got a feel for it, it is easy.

    Good luck with your decision!

  6. #406
    Ambassador of Chub
    Reputation: Smithhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2,839
    The stock 160mm rotors seem a little light when bombing down a trail with a load on the Bb. Upgrading my front rotor to a SRAM Centerline 180mm.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

  7. #407
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    The stock 160mm rotors seem a little light when bombing down a trail with a load on the Bb. Upgrading my front rotor to a SRAM Centerline 180mm.
    I upgraded front and rear rotors to 180mm. The brakes feel much more responsive. The upgrade is worth it :-D

  8. #408
    Lord Thunderbottom
    Reputation: TitanofChaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    907
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailCrawler View Post
    I upgraded front and rear rotors to 180mm. The brakes feel much more responsive. The upgrade is worth it :-D
    Ditto! Just spent some time riding a lot of big bermed dirt trails on my blackborow this weekend and I'm pretty glad I made that swap
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

  9. #409
    .44
    Reputation: stremf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,230
    Looking to put on a rear rack on the Blackborow. What are my options? Alternators with eyelets for 197mm TA doesn't exist. Maybe I'll try drilling into the Alternators. I don't want to go the p-clamp route, if I don't have to.

  10. #410
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Welnic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    883
    I've got an Old Man Mountain rack for my Mukluk. I think it would fit a 5" tire. It uses a longer bolt and a spacer for the top of the Alternator dropout and attaches there. Picture of Channing taking a picture of my bike when I picked up my rack. OMM is a 1/4 mile detour off my commute to work.

    Salsa expansion.    Blackborow-croppedchanning.jpg

  11. #411
    .44
    Reputation: stremf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,230
    Thanks for the info. That looks like a better solution.

  12. #412
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    Looking to put on a rear rack on the Blackborow. What are my options? Alternators with eyelets for 197mm TA doesn't exist. Maybe I'll try drilling into the Alternators. I don't want to go the p-clamp route, if I don't have to.
    My rack is the Blackburn Outpost universal fit rack.
    I bought the lower mount kit for alternator rack and the Salsa Rack-Lock to make it all work without clamps.

  13. #413
    .44
    Reputation: stremf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,230
    Ah, ok. I mistakenly thought that the eyelets on these alternators were for the rack. Didn't realize that the racks mount to the top bolt. That opens up more options for me, then. I can just use the Salsa rack. Thanks!


  14. #414
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Läskimasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailCrawler View Post
    Attachment 1007908

    Got a pair of Snowshoe 2XL's mounted up, they clear!

    Just an fyi my drivetrain is 1x10. I think chain clearance will be an issue for 2x10 and possibly DS, you guys with those drivetrains are on your own!
    Any experience of 2XL fitting with front derailleur? Anyone? Or pictures of the stock chain clearance with Lou?

    Blackborow and 2XLs are ordered, not got yet, that's why I'm asking.

  15. #415
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    264
    Finally mounted up a Bluto on my Blackborrow. I've modified it so much now. XT Brakes with 180 front. Wolf tooth 28t front and 42t rear, 1x with type 2 derailleur. KS Lev 150. Renthal 50mm stem, Works 1.5 slacker headset, Easton carbon havok bars. Just want to convert to carbon rims! [IMG]

  16. #416
    Ambassador of Chub
    Reputation: Smithhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2,839
    Quote Originally Posted by SurlyBuckeye View Post
    Does anyone know if the Salsa/Revelate Frame bags fit in the Blackborow or if Salsa is releasing new ones that will?
    Not sure if this ever got answered, but I was having a tough time finding answers to this myself, so I thought I'd share what I found. This is the Salsa/Revelate #3 frame bag, which I bought for my MD. Fargo (also recommended for the LG Mukluk/ LG Beargrease). I was optimistic it would work for my LG Blackborow, but wasn't sure I'd get that lucky. Turns out it's actually a great fit:

    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

  17. #417
    Lord Thunderbottom
    Reputation: TitanofChaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    907
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    Not sure if this ever got answered, but I was having a tough time finding answers to this myself, so I thought I'd share what I found. This is the Salsa/Revelate #3 frame bag, which I bought for my MD. Fargo (also recommended for the LG Mukluk/ LG Beargrease). I was optimistic it would work for my LG Blackborow, but wasn't sure I'd get that lucky. Turns out it's actually a great fit
    I actually had to look this up for myself the other day, I found this info on the salsa site although it is not noted on the bags page

    http://salsacycles.com/files/tech/86...zes_Update.pdf
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

  18. #418
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Läskimasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    110
    ^^Nice bag, Smithhammer. 👍 Perfect fit.

  19. #419
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    37

    new Blackborow question on 2016 vs 2015 models:

    Quote Originally Posted by Läskimasa View Post
    ^^Nice bag, Smithhammer.  Perfect fit.
    I am wondering what you folks think about the overall benefits of one of the two new 2016 Bb models including a carbon fork, but mostly unchanged otherwise from the 2015 (black vs gray color), and a MSRP price reduction of $300, to $2499. Would you folks look for a sale on an end of year 2015 Bb, or is the carbon fork worth waiting and buying a new 2016? thanks!

  20. #420
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Läskimasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by fatbikenewbie View Post
    Would you folks look for a sale on an end of year 2015 Bb
    This is what I just did, should get my new Bb1 today. Better color too (IMO), compared to 2016 black Bb GX.

  21. #421
    Ambassador of Chub
    Reputation: Smithhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Läskimasa View Post
    This is what I just did, should get my new Bb1 today. Better color too (IMO), compared to 2016 black Bb GX.
    Congrats on the new Bb!

    And fatbikenewbie - I'd probably lean toward doing the same. If you can find a good deal on a '15 Bb, grab it. I don't think the carbon fork makes that big of a difference, plus you're getting Thomson stem/seatpost, etc. But if you can't find that, I'm sure the new Bb GX is a sweet ride as well. Salsa really nailed it with the Bb, imo.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

  22. #422
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Läskimasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by McFlyMpls View Post
    [url=http://imgur.com/Y0KIez6]
    If it helps anyone out, I'm 5'9", 32" inseam, I got a large and glad I did. I tested a medium because that's what I usually ride, and according to the ETT length, what I should ride, but the medium felt very short after 2 min and warmed up. I hopped on a large, and it fit like a glove.
    I am just same size and I bought M/18". It's just perfect after I changed the stem from original 80 mm to 45 mm. I think L is way too big to me although I own L-size Fatboy before, but it was 19" (Bb L is 20") and with 35 mm stem.

  23. #423
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    37

    Pulled trigger on 2015 Bb.

    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    Congrats on the new Bb!

    And fatbikenewbie - I'd probably lean toward doing the same. If you can find a good deal on a '15 Bb, grab it. I don't think the carbon fork makes that big of a difference, plus you're getting Thomson stem/seatpost, etc. But if you can't find that, I'm sure the new Bb GX is a sweet ride as well. Salsa really nailed it with the Bb, imo.
    Dear Smithhammer, took your advice, saved lots of cash went with a 2015 Bb. large. tons of fun as I hoped, non existent self steer compared to my Mongoose Vinson w Bulldozers, lighter and much better components, the Vinson was great to let me realize I enjoy this style of riding. Is this only thread which comments on Blackborow? thx much!

  24. #424
    mtbr member
    Reputation: farleybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    197
    I am choosing between the 2016 BB with rigid carbon fork or the Trek 7, discuss...

    Decision points:
    - GX 1 x 11 vs. 2 x 10
    - Clownshoes/Lou vs. Mulefut/Barbegazi
    - I am a Salsa fan...but the Farley looks like a good offering.

    I ride winter in Iowa = snow, but also like to ride my fatty year round, including some road riding for my commute. This will replace my 2013 Muk 3.
    Gettin' Fat!...That's Where It's At!

  25. #425
    Lord Thunderbottom
    Reputation: TitanofChaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    907
    Quote Originally Posted by farleybob View Post
    I am choosing between the 2016 BB with rigid carbon fork or the Trek 7, discuss...

    Decision points:
    - GX 1 x 11 vs. 2 x 10
    - Clownshoes/Lou vs. Mulefut/Barbegazi
    - I am a Salsa fan...but the Farley looks like a good offering.

    I ride winter in Iowa = snow, but also like to ride my fatty year round, including some road riding for my commute. This will replace my 2013 Muk 3.
    I own both a 15 blackborow and a 16 farley 9, the geometry is really close between the 2 bikes. My outlook on the blackborow is that every time I gear up to go out in the snow I want to ride, wide rims and the most aggressive tires do that for me (6'2" 250#). The farley is a blast for summer and replaced my FS 29er.

    Even though the farley is 1x11, which covers the same gear range, the 2x10 is still nice for quick changes in momentum, jamming the thumb twice and all the distance the chain has to move on a 1x11 is not as quick as just shifting the front and the back at the same time.

    I know this doesn't apply to the farley 7 but I specifically went with the farley 9 to retain the larger wheel diameter and shrink the rolling resistance a bit from the 5" tires on clownshoes, if it were an only bike, maybe a smaller rim with the less aggressive 5" tires is a happy medium?

    Something not on your list to consider, the Blackborow has braze ons everywhere, if you want to put on a rack or anything like that, mine hauls the chainsaw for trail cleanup duty.
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

  26. #426
    .44
    Reputation: stremf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,230
    Nothing against Trek, because they make some fine bikes, but I just can't seem to fathom ever riding another one, much less buying one. This is the bike snobbery within me rearing its ugly head. The frames are probably made in the same factory. Still...gross.

    That said, I am very happy with the BB. Bikepacking, snow riding, trail shredding. Does it all.

  27. #427
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Läskimasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    110
    Here is mine Bb1. Mods: Snowshoe 2XL 26x5.05 (tubeless), Raceface 45 mm stem, Thudbuster ST seatpost, Specialized Henge saddle, GripShifts, Saint pedals. Awesome fatbike, I like it!


    Last edited by Läskimasa; 10-10-2015 at 06:53 AM. Reason: another pic added

  28. #428
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OddTrickStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    198
    Sweet, where was that pic taken?

  29. #429
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Läskimasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    110
    In Finland. Just 1 km from my house.

  30. #430
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OddTrickStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    198
    The lichen looks like what we have over here in New Jersey.

    Those tires make the fork look skinny.

  31. #431
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rubberduckxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    83
    Hi guys

    I am quite new in the fatbike theme, I was looking around to purchase one. I was in earlyer years into Triathlon, but since several years I did not touch any bike. Only unicycling is what I am doing right now. I build some FatBike Unis for me and my wife, and as I saw first time a FatBike, I felt more or less into love with it, although I never rode one. I just like big wheels :-) Not to be fast or anything, just like it, can't help myself LOL

    Nevertheless I was always looking in the internet what is available on the FatBike market. For me the following was important:
    - 12x197 and 12x150
    - Braking and shifting cables on the top tube

    So I came on the Blackborow. And as I see that the frameset for 2016 will be with green colour and a nice carbon fork, I decided to do a list with the parts I need to do a nice build, and I need this list to get a cost estimation to keep the "real domestic peace" at home :-)

    My biggest problem is to figure out what crankset I need with which bottom bracket. I would like to run 2x10, wiht of course 4.8 on 100mm rims.
    So can anyone from you help me with a link to an onlineshop which shows the bottom bracket I need? I know that it must be a PressFit 41 and 132mm wide. But I can not find any. And which crank will work? I know the Surly Moonlander, and the RaceFace Turbine Cinch. The Moonlander is in one piece, but the Turbine I would have to configure, but do not know which parts I exactly need.
    But if the RaceFace Turbine Cinch will work, isn't the Hope crank as well working?

    Many questions, but I think it is best to ask here...

  32. #432
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LewisQC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    398
    The stock crank (Surly OD crank) is a good choice for 2x cause you will end with the smallest Q-factor possible. It's a bit on the heavy side. I think the bb is included: Shop for Surly OD Crank 36/22 Moonlander Black offered by Fatbikes.com

    I personally purchase the BB 1 and change for race face cinch to have a 1x10 setup. I had to change bb as well. This is how I did it: Race face BB92 for cinch, you cannot use the sleeve so just the bearing press on each side. You will need spacer 5mm on the drive side and 10mm on non-drive side. There's a spacer kit available (ICT spacer kit Race Face F10014) so 2 spacers on DS and 4 on NDS, but any spacer will do. You could go with RF cinch for 2x I think but I have not seen somebody doing it.

    According to this: http://raceface.com/comp/pdf/FatBike...-Chainline.pdf
    I don't think the number of spacer will change if you use the cinch for 2x…

    Hope this help a bit...

    Edit: I don't know where you live but I have a set of OD cranks in my garage!
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2013 Intense Spider Comp
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport

  33. #433
    mtbr member
    Reputation: farleybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    197
    The 2016 models come with a RaceFace Turbine crank. I am looking at the GX 2x10. This model comes in black with a carbon fork. (aluminum steerer)
    Gettin' Fat!...That's Where It's At!

  34. #434
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rubberduckxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    83
    Hi guys, thanks a lot for your quick reply.
    I have seen, that the 2016 Blackborows will come with RF Turbine Cinch. They have also the complete bikes. But as I would like to build it on my own and the fact that I want to have it with rigid fork and in nice green colour, I will go with the frameset.
    Once it will be available...

  35. #435
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by LewisQC View Post
    I personally purchase the BB 1 and change for race face cinch to have a 1x10 setup. I had to change bb as well. This is how I did it: Race face BB92 for cinch, you cannot use the sleeve so just the bearing press on each side. You will need spacer 5mm on the drive side and 10mm on non-drive side. There's a spacer kit available (ICT spacer kit Race Face F10014) so 2 spacers on DS and 4 on NDS, but any spacer will do. You could go with RF cinch for 2x I think but I have not seen somebody doing it.
    I'm building up a new-to-me 2015 Blackborow frame with Race Face Cinch Turbine cranks. On this page (Salsa Cycles) I read in the comments:

    "Proper install per RaceFace calls for 2 x 1.5mm spacers on the drive-side between the bearing seal and crank arm, and 1 x 11.5mm spacer on the left side."

    This does not seem to align things properly to me - but I am measuring from crankarm to chainstay - are the chainstays symmetrical?

    And I have read two ways of using the ICT spacer kit with the BlackBorow - one said 4x 2.5mm spacers non-derive side and 2x 2.5mm spacers drive-side, another said 3 each side).

    If you look at Race Face's fatbike setup guide (http://www.raceface.com/comp/pdf/FAT...CLEARANCES.pdf

    There is always a 2.5mm diff with 2.5mm more spacers on the DS.

    I am confused.

    I emailed Salsa today, maybe they will replay with something definitive.

  36. #436
    mtbr member
    Reputation: farleybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    197
    I pulled the trigger today! My new XL Blackborow will be here next week! I wanted the rigid fork and love the black frame. Who wants to buy a used Mukluk? :-)

    Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    Gettin' Fat!...That's Where It's At!

  37. #437
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LewisQC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    398
    Quote Originally Posted by zoomin View Post
    I'm building up a new-to-me 2015 Blackborow frame with Race Face Cinch Turbine cranks. On this page (Salsa Cycles) I read in the comments:

    "Proper install per RaceFace calls for 2 x 1.5mm spacers on the drive-side between the bearing seal and crank arm, and 1 x 11.5mm spacer on the left side."

    This does not seem to align things properly to me - but I am measuring from crankarm to chainstay - are the chainstays symmetrical?

    And I have read two ways of using the ICT spacer kit with the BlackBorow - one said 4x 2.5mm spacers non-derive side and 2x 2.5mm spacers drive-side, another said 3 each side).

    If you look at Race Face's fatbike setup guide (http://www.raceface.com/comp/pdf/FAT...CLEARANCES.pdf

    There is always a 2.5mm diff with 2.5mm more spacers on the DS.

    I am confused.

    I emailed Salsa today, maybe they will replay with something definitive.
    To me this chart never made sense... I searched a lot for info from raceface or another source without much succes. After asking the question in this thread, I got 3 similar setup (5mm of spacer on DS/10mm on NDS, so 2/4 spacer from the RF ICT kit) and one a little bit different (3/3). So I tried it on my bike and judging from clearance between crank arm and frame I decided to go with 2/4 setup. Chainline seems ok and I've been running this setup for 5 months without issue. Oh I'm earing some creaking but I think it's time to clean and greasse the BB/crank area
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2013 Intense Spider Comp
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport

  38. #438
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rubberduckxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    83
    If I would go with the Surly OD Crank 36/22 Moonlander, then no spacers or so are needed, correct? Just press the bearings of the BB, then mount the cranks.
    Not like RaceFace cranks, which obviously need spacers...

  39. #439
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Läskimasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberduckxi View Post
    If I would go with the Surly OD Crank 36/22 Moonlander, then no spacers or so are needed, correct? Just press the bearings of the BB, then mount the cranks.
    There is 1 mm spacers between the cranks and BB, both sides 1 mm. That's how the complete bikes come from the factory.
    Surly OD's are very simple, easy to install and solid cranks.

  40. #440
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,012
    Congrats! Enjoy........

    Quote Originally Posted by farleybob View Post
    I pulled the trigger today! My new XL Blackborow will be here next week! I wanted the rigid fork and love the black frame. Who wants to buy a used Mukluk? :-)

    Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76 Flickr

  41. #441
    In the Green Mountains
    Reputation: Hvnfun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    65

    New build

    I just finished putting this together, it weighs a little over 28 lbs with the pedals. Rides great, bring on the snow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Salsa expansion.    Blackborow-img_2118.jpg  

    Salsa expansion.    Blackborow-img_2123.jpg  

    Salsa expansion.    Blackborow-img_2137.jpg  

    Salsa expansion.    Blackborow-img_2140.jpg  


  42. #442
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Faction6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Hvnfun View Post
    I just finished putting this together, it weighs a little over 28 lbs with the pedals. Rides great, bring on the snow.
    sick!!!

  43. #443
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    568
    Sick is right

    What a build

  44. #444
    mtbr member
    Reputation: farleybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    197
    Love it! Mine should be in this week!

    Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    Gettin' Fat!...That's Where It's At!

  45. #445
    mtbr member
    Reputation: edved37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    148
    Did a 40 mile gravel ride on mine yesterdays since my other two bikes were in the shop. Surprised by how comfortable it was for the long distance and the 4.8 knards rolled great.

  46. #446
    mtbr member
    Reputation: farleybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    197
    So what does everyone think about the Lou/Lou combo? I have a Bud ready to go on the front if it seems too sluggish with Lou up front


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gettin' Fat!...That's Where It's At!

  47. #447
    Ambassador of Chub
    Reputation: Smithhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2,839
    Quote Originally Posted by farleybob View Post
    So what does everyone think about the Lou/Lou combo? I have a Bud ready to go on the front if it seems too sluggish with Lou up front
    I was pretty happy with the Lou/Lou combo for a while...until I put a Bud on, and saw the light. The Bud eats gnomes for breakfast.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

  48. #448
    mtbr member
    Reputation: farleybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    197
    I think my Bud will be going on soon. I had my first ride today and the Lou up front was pretty slow. I ride a good stretch of road to reach my local trail. Loving the new Blackborow!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gettin' Fat!...That's Where It's At!

  49. #449
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by farleybob View Post
    I think my Bud will be going on soon. I had my first ride today and the Lou up front was pretty slow. I ride a good stretch of road to reach my local trail. Loving the new Blackborow!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Are you getting a frame only?


    Got one on order right now. QBP had 0 but was "orderable" so I'm playing the waiting game right now. It was a super unexpected splurge but this will keep me from doing any sort of upgrades (well, maybe minor like the stem and the saddle).

    I originally wanted the Beargrease X7 Carbon but the thing is sold out even to the remaining shipments (BRUTAL)

  50. #450
    mtbr member
    Reputation: farleybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    197
    I have the rigid fork 2x10 model. Mine was in stock at QBP and I had it in three days. I have a bud that I bought for my Mukluk last winter.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gettin' Fat!...That's Where It's At!

  51. #451
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LewisQC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    398
    Little tech question for you Blackborow owners: I want to upgrade my brakes to get more stopping power for my 200lbs. For now, I want to keep the BB7 and just get new 180mm (Shimano Icetech?) disc F/R. Maybe eventually I will get some hydro brakes but I have another project at the moment regading that N+1 rule...

    So here's my question. Can I take the rear brake adaptor to fit the 180mm at the front and buy only one 40mm adaptor with hardware for my rear brake?

    Also should I go up to 200/180? I think I will be ok 180/180 and I've read somewhere that with 200mm it's more difficult to get propper adjustement because of the larger diameter...
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2013 Intense Spider Comp
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport

  52. #452
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Läskimasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by LewisQC View Post
    Can I take the rear brake adaptor to fit the 180mm at the front and buy only one 40mm adaptor with hardware for my rear brake?

    Also should I go up to 200/180?
    Yes, the rear adapter is fine for Ø 180 mm front disc.

    I just got Ø 200 mm discs for my Bb, I'm still waiting for the adaptors...
    Last edited by Läskimasa; 11-27-2015 at 11:54 AM.
    Fatter is better

  53. #453
    Ambassador of Chub
    Reputation: Smithhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2,839
    I put a 180 rotor on the front of my Bb - it's a worthy upgrade.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

  54. #454
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LewisQC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    398
    Wow! This is big! the 160mm looks like a kid's bike rotor!! I think I'll go with 180, OTB garanteed with that diner plate size disc rotor :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Läskimasa View Post
    Yes, the rear adapter is fine for Ø 180 mm front disc.

    I just got Ø 200 mm discs for my Bb, I'm still waiting for the adaptors...
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2013 Intense Spider Comp
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport

  55. #455
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    38

    Getting Ready For Cold Weather

    Swapped summer wheels for winter today - replaced the Chupacabras with Buds. A nice surprise is the Alternator Rack I installed earlier this year leaves plenty of clearance for the Bud, at least 12mm.

    Salsa expansion.    Blackborow-river_ride.jpg

  56. #456
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    700
    Does anyone know if there is a difference between the 2015 and 2016 BB frames other than the color?

  57. #457
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Läskimasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    110
    ^ I have understood the frame is the same, but the fork is made of carbon fiber instead of aluminium.
    Fatter is better

  58. #458
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    29
    Purchased a 2015 Blackborow DS today. Dropping the dingle and putting on a 1x11.

    Got the bike, ergo grips, and 1x11 GX grouper for 1900. It may be an older bike (especially with the new mukluk coming out) but I don't have the luxury of waiting for a bike that may never reach Alaska before the new year.

    Salsa screwed over the local bike shops by going to REI so none of them have placed any orders for the new stuff. Didn't want to wait, and this bike just felt great on the test ride. Quicker and stiffer than the ICT I tested.

    Combing this thread, seems everyone is still really happy with their BB.

  59. #459
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    15
    Donk,

    Did you pick up bike and 1x11 new or used? Either way, congratulations. You have the coolest colo on the best bike. I'm on the prowl myself for just that.

    Post a picture of it to show it off.
    All the girlies say I'm pretty fly for a rocket guy.

  60. #460
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    29
    The bike was used.... Some scratches but not too bad.. That green is amazing so I'm OK with a little extra for that.

    The groupset is new and the final price includes installation. All in all, I think i may be over paying for a two year old bike ($1600, supposedly only ridden one season per my LBS guy), but with the paint job, new 1x11 GX groupset, and installation, I think 1900 is fair compared to what I would get today. Sure that new Mukluk looks great with the carbon fork and the NX1, but the colors suck and I don't have to until probably mid January to get one..

    Not to mention everyone here, and everywhere else I read, loves this bike. And maybe I can make up some of the cost selling the dingle speed stuff.

  61. #461
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    29
    sooooo, i slept on my deal....woke up and felt kinda dirty. THe bike i am buying (i put a 10% down on it yesterday) is a 2015 Blackborow DS (used), and I paid 1600 for the bike. I am getting a GX 1x11 derailleur, Shimano XT M8000 11 speed cassette, SRAM GX 11 speed trigger shifter, and installation of it all for $300 bucks. Rounding out to $1900 for the bike.

    They have the 2016 BB GX (new) listed right now at their shop for $2100, thats $400 off MSRP in one year, Wouldn't the 2015 BB DS be listed at $1500 using the same metric for deprecation. On top of that, it is used bike with some cosmetic scratches on the paint.

    Is this sweet color worth the pricetag, or should I try to negotiate a little more off the top. I gotta say, with the new ICT getting listed at 2K and the new Mukluk NX1 at $1800, i think i'm getting taken to the ringer a little. Once those bikes hit the market these bikes will lose value quickly.

    Patience here may save me some cash....what do you guys think? BB DS with GX 1x11 groupset for 1900, cancel that and go with a 2016 BB with that carbon fork, or simply wait for the next ICT/Mukluk....

    i don't know how much longer I can wait before it freezes in Alaska and I need a fattie to get to work.

  62. #462
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    700
    I'd say explain what you wrote in your post to your dealer and see if they can knock of some more cash.

  63. #463
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    37

    Bb color

    Quote Originally Posted by thedonk13 View Post
    sooooo, i slept on my deal....woke up and felt kinda dirty. THe bike i am buying (i put a 10% down on it yesterday) is a 2015 Blackborow DS (used), and I paid 1600 for the bike. I am getting a GX 1x11 derailleur, Shimano XT M8000 11 speed cassette, SRAM GX 11 speed trigger shifter, and installation of it all for $300 bucks. Rounding out to $1900 for the bike.

    They have the 2016 BB GX (new) listed right now at their shop for $2100, thats $400 off MSRP in one year, Wouldn't the 2015 BB DS be listed at $1500 using the same metric for deprecation. On top of that, it is used bike with some cosmetic scratches on the paint.

    Is this sweet color worth the pricetag, or should I try to negotiate a little more off the top. I gotta say, with the new ICT getting listed at 2K and the new Mukluk NX1 at $1800, i think i'm getting taken to the ringer a little. Once those bikes hit the market these bikes will lose value quickly.

    Patience here may save me some cash....what do you guys think? BB DS with GX 1x11 groupset for 1900, cancel that and go with a 2016 BB with that carbon fork, or simply wait for the next ICT/Mukluk....

    i don't know how much longer I can wait before it freezes in Alaska and I need a fattie to get to work.
    thedonk13, I own a 2015 Bb gray with gears, LOVE IT! the only thing I wish it had was the fantastic green color!!! FWIW...btw not to hi-jack this thread...but I just ordered a 4.8 liteskin jumbo jim to replace my 4.8 rear Knard, very happy with Bud on front. and thrilled with grip studded Lous f&r for winter. I love this bike!

  64. #464
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    29
    So what i hear......go for it and calm my tits!

    enjoy this great bike for a few years and move on!

  65. #465
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Läskimasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    110
    Yep, update it how you like it and you'll love it. This is mine after one year evolution:

    Specs:
    • frame: Blackborow 2015 M/18"
    • fork: Lauf Carbonara
    • cranks: Surly OD, WolfTooth 28t
    • front hub: Salsa Fat Conversion, 15 x 150mm
    • rear hub: Salsa Fat Conversion, 12 x 197mm
    • rims: Surly Clown Shoe 100 mm
    • tires: Vee Tire Snowshoe 2XL 26x5.05
    • derailleur: Shimano XT-M8000, WolfTooth GoatLink 11
    • cassette: Shimano XT-M8000 w/Garbaruk Xtender & OneUp 18t, 11-45t 10-speed
    • chain: YBN Yaban SLA-H11 TiB
    • headset: Cane Creek 40 ZS44/56
    • stem: RaceFace Respond 45 mm
    • bar: Answer XC Enduro 720 20-20 Carbon
    • grips: Ergon GP2
    • shifter: SRAM GripShift X01
    • brakes: Avid BB7_MTN
    • brake handles: Avid Speed Dial 7
    • brake discs: Avid CleanSweep G2, Ø 200 mm
    • seat post: Cane Creek Thudbuster ST
    • saddle: Brooks Cambium C17
    Fatter is better

  66. #466
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    29
    DONE! thank you for the list of "must-haves"....i did not think the SnowShoe 2XL's would fit on the bikes, have you had any rubbing issues? studded up?

    is your chainring the WolfTooth 28t? im still new to what each part is called....

  67. #467
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Läskimasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    110
    ^ I have had (rubbing issues), that's why I have 1x11 gearings modified to 1x10. No studs. The chainring is WolfTooth 28t, smallest possible.
    Fatter is better

  68. #468
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    29
    Sweet...i'm gonna throw that Wolftooth 28t on my build list for the shop. I found some studded SNowShoe XL's for 130 each, free shipping...think i'm gonna go that route for winter...cant justify 250 a piece for Dill 5 (4.5s).....

  69. #469
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    17
    Läskimasa, how do you like the Lauf Carbonara front fork?

  70. #470
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Läskimasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter700 View Post
    Läskimasa, how do you like the Lauf Carbonara front fork?
    I have liked, works for my needs. It's not a suspension fork in traditional way, more like vibration reductor. Reminds Thudbuster seatpost, takes biggest edges off. Here is a good review, I can undersign this: Long Term Wrap Up: Salsa Beargrease with Lauf Carbonara Fork | Expedition Portal

    The better the faster you go.
    Fatter is better

  71. #471
    mtbr member
    Reputation: schnee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,797
    How's that Pressfit bottom bracket working out?

    Every one I've had creaked. New Mukluk is back to threaded. Main thing holding me back from getting that frameset.
    Yamaguchi Cross • YT Jeffsy • Salsa Mukluk & Vaya • Canyon Commuter

  72. #472
    Ambassador of Chub
    Reputation: Smithhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2,839
    Quote Originally Posted by schnee View Post
    How's that Pressfit bottom bracket working out?

    Every one I've had creaked. New Mukluk is back to threaded. Main thing holding me back from getting that frameset.
    I've had the same stock BB on my Blackborow for a year and half since I bought the bike - ridden summer, winter, snow, sand, dirt.....absolutely no issues with it at all.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

  73. #473
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    30,093
    Quote Originally Posted by schnee View Post
    How's that Pressfit bottom bracket working out?

    Every one I've had creaked. New Mukluk is back to threaded. Main thing holding me back from getting that frameset.
    Much of the PF hate has been from crappy BBs, especially some of the ridiculous plastic ones. Get you one of these: Fat Bike Bottom Brackets
    I have theirs on my 29er and it is smooooth. Best BB I have actually.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  74. #474
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Läskimasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Get you one of these: Fat Bike Bottom Brackets
    Looks good, but there is no option for the Blackborow's 132 mm BB, only 121 mm.

    edit: EU-site his says 121-132 mm: PressFit 41mm ABEC-3 Fat Bike BB for 24mm (Shimano) Cranks - Black
    Nice. Now I know what to install if there is problems in BB.
    Fatter is better

  75. #475
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    700
    I have a Surly ICT which has the same type BB as the Blackborow. I use a Shimano Saint BB. Just throw out the middle sleeve and press in the cups. No creaks, Shimano quality bearings, PERFECT!

  76. #476
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Läskimasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargeCookerMaxi View Post
    No creaks, Shimano quality bearings, PERFECT!
    I like a lot more Wheel Mfg's design, no need to press the frame.
    Fatter is better

  77. #477
    Harmonius Wrench
    Reputation: Guitar Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,256
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    I've had the same stock BB on my Blackborow for a year and half since I bought the bike - ridden summer, winter, snow, sand, dirt.....absolutely no issues with it at all.
    This has been my experience also. It will be two years in next month for me.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

    Blog
    RidingGravel.com

  78. #478
    mtbr member
    Reputation: schnee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,797
    Good to know, thanks all.
    Yamaguchi Cross • YT Jeffsy • Salsa Mukluk & Vaya • Canyon Commuter

  79. #479
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    17
    Läskimasa, thanks for the feedback and the link! Interesting design.

  80. #480
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    700
    Yeah I agree with you. Shimano Saint hasn't given me any problems and was less than $20 though. I can't argue with the reliability or price.

  81. #481
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    15
    I am trying to upgrade to the 180mm disc front and rear on my BB. I bought the Avid Adapters I thought would fit, but they do not. Can anyone help me out with which ones I need to get. When I installed what I bought, the brake calipers hit the adapters. **** I jumped the gun. I have them installed upside down. Sorry for the confusion. I need a drink.
    Last edited by Mochamaker; 07-26-2017 at 03:24 PM.

  82. #482
    Ambassador of Chub
    Reputation: Smithhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Mochamaker View Post
    I am trying to upgrade to the 180mm disc front and rear on my BB. I bought the Avid Adapters I thought would fit, but they do not. Can anyone help me out with which ones I need to get. When I installed what I bought, the brake calipers hit the adapters.
    Sounds like you need a couple 180 brake adapters.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

  83. #483
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    389
    What bottom bracket are folks with raceface cinch cranks using? How are they lasting with the 30mm spindle? Thanks
    SalsaTiMukluk
    Salsa Fargo
    Salsa Cutthroat
    Salsa Blackborow DS
    Pivot Switchblade

  84. #484
    Ambassador of Chub
    Reputation: Smithhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2,839
    I still love the original Blackborow. The geo, the awesome tire clearance....it just pretty much ticks all the boxes for me. I've been on a large Blackborow frame for the last several seasons, but I'm squarely in between sizes, and recently decided I'd be happier on medium for riding chunkier terrain and in deep snow. So when I found a great deal on a new 2016 frame it was a no-brainer. Just finished building it up and couldn't be happier with it:

    Lauf Carbonara
    RF Next bar
    Ergon grip
    RF Atlas stem
    RF Next post
    RF Aeffect saddle
    RF Aeffect cranks
    RF Chester pedals
    80mm Mulefuts
    Salsa hubs
    45N Wrathchilds
    SRAM X9 rear derailleur
    BB7S brakes

    1x10 gearing (28t x 11/40)

    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

  85. #485
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    20
    Nice build ! Love the green frame
    Have you ridden the Wrathchilds before ? Im wondering how they work in deep snow.

  86. #486
    Ambassador of Chub
    Reputation: Smithhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Surly View Post
    Nice build ! Love the green frame
    Have you ridden the Wrathchilds before ? Im wondering how they work in deep snow.
    Thanks. The Wrathchilds are new for me this season. I'm curious how they're going to work in deep snow as well, but they certainly seem pretty capable. This is my "most of the time" wheelset. I also have 100mm wheelset with Bud/Lou for the deep/loose stuff. But if the Wrathchilds perform they way I'm hoping, Bud/Lou might be spending more time in the shed this winter.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

  87. #487
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikeny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,788
    I'm thinking about picking up a 2016 Blackborow frameset, green of course!

    Did anybody ever try to mount the Raceface Turbine crank with a 170mm spindle? I'd love the hear if it worked or not.

    Thanks,
    Mark

  88. #488
    Ambassador of Chub
    Reputation: Smithhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2,839
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    I'm thinking about picking up a 2016 Blackborow frameset, green of course!

    Did anybody ever try to mount the Raceface Turbine crank with a 170mm spindle? I'd love the hear if it worked or not.

    Thanks,
    Mark
    Pretty sure you need the 190 version.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

  89. #489
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    Pretty sure you need the 190 version.
    There is talk over in one of the Surly ICT threads about shaving down the bottom bracket shell to allow for the RF Turbine 170. Someone actually did it but the person bought the bike used so there is no background. Here is another thread with someone attempting to do it...

    http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/red...l#post13502217

  90. #490
    Ambassador of Chub
    Reputation: Smithhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2,839
    Quote Originally Posted by mohrgan View Post
    There is talk over in one of the Surly ICT threads about shaving down the bottom bracket shell to allow for the RF Turbine 170. Someone actually did it but the person bought the bike used so there is no background. Here is another thread with someone attempting to do it...

    http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/red...l#post13502217
    Interesting. So maybe it's possible, if you're willing to make that mod...
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

  91. #491
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    3
    Hello guys. I have some question about the Blackborow 2016 bike setup.

    I've got a frameset, but it still in delivery. Now I'm trying to find a crankset with the narrowest Q-factor and the same time with the availability to use properly with the 2xl tires.
    I almost bought the chinese Shun crankset with the q-factor of 217. It must works perfect.
    But I have once more variant with the Neutrino cranks with the spindel of 168mm long and the Q-factor of 210mm. Below is the specification, but on the Russian, sorry. https://neutrinocomponents.com/index...d_attachment=1

    But because of my frameset still in delivery I can't measure the gap between the outer side of the links near the pedals. Could someone measure it for me?

    Another question is about the Rohloff XL hub. Which model of the hub is suited for Blackborow frame?

    Thanks a lot!

    And sorry for my English.

  92. #492
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,924
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns0n View Post

    Another question is about the Rohloff XL hub. Which model of the hub is suited for Blackborow frame?

    Thanks a lot!

    And sorry for my English.
    https://www.rohloff.de/en/shop/speed...-db-xxl-190mm/

    Not sure if this will work for you unless they have 190mm quick release dropouts available.
    I like turtles

  93. #493
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    3
    NYrr496, I see a few examples on the web, which must works perfect. And I want to do the same setup with the 2xl tyres. That's why I asked.

    I've wrote to the salsa feedback. May be they could help.

    Salsa expansion.    Blackborow-img_6380.jpg
    Name:  IMG_6374.JPG
Views: 614
Size:  57.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_6375.JPG
Views: 589
Size:  57.4 KB

    Also a pal of mine have measured his Surly ICT. And with the almost 100% probability the neutrino cranks with the Q 210 should fits fine with about 4mm gaps to the ICT's links.

    But I need the Blackborow measurements to check, will neutrino fits to the bike.

  94. #494
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,924
    Johns0n, the bottom picture clearly shows a quick release skewer. Get those dropouts and you're good to go.
    I like turtles

  95. #495
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    3
    NYrr496, thanks.

    I've contacted with the Salsa team and that is the answer I got. May be it could help for someone else:

    "To install a Rohloff on a Blackborow, you would want to use a 190mm QR or TA hub. Rohloff makes a 197mm A12 thru axle hub, but that will not work with our dropouts. So you will need to get a driveside QR alternator plate (FS1318), and Rohloff non-drive side plate (FS1371) and then your choice of hub with an OEM1 axle "

    And about the QR and TA differences:

    "TA actually stands for ‘threaded axle,” which is a 10mm bolt on axle. It uses the same dropouts as a QR hub. TA is just the way Rohloff labels it.

    Neither one is better. If you are using a bike with a sliding horizontal dropout, the TA hub would be better because the axle nuts would be keeping the chain tension, but since the Blackborow uses the Alternator plates for that, either one will work the same.
    "

    I also asked Salsa about the gap inside the links, but I think they will not help me.

    I still need this size measured:



    It's on my pal's Surly ICT

  96. #496
    mtbr member
    Reputation: farleybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    The stock 160mm rotors seem a little light when bombing down a trail with a load on the Bb. Upgrading my front rotor to a SRAM Centerline 180mm.
    You don't happen to have the part numbers for the adapter bracket to go to 180? I have some new wheels and want to install 180 rotors. I have the rigid carbon fork.

    Thanks!
    Gettin' Fat!...That's Where It's At!

  97. #497
    mtbr member
    Reputation: farleybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by Mochamaker View Post
    I am trying to upgrade to the 180mm disc front and rear on my BB. I bought the Avid Adapters I thought would fit, but they do not. Can anyone help me out with which ones I need to get. When I installed what I bought, the brake calipers hit the adapters. **** I jumped the gun. I have them installed upside down. Sorry for the confusion. I need a drink.
    I wish to do the same. Do you remember the part numbers of the adapters? I'll try to put them in right side up! :-)
    Gettin' Fat!...That's Where It's At!

  98. #498
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FatBike&SlenderWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by farleybob View Post
    I wish to do the same. Do you remember the part numbers of the adapters? I'll try to put them in right side up! :-)
    I purchased the parts to do a 200mm front with a 180 rear on my Blackborow but I just ended up just doing the 200 on the front and leaving the 160 on the rear because the front does 70% of the braking while the 200mm rotor only increases the braking capacity by 25% over the 160.
    Since I can easily lock up the rear wheel on any surface with the 160, there is really not much to be gained by increasing the rear rotor.

    The Blackborow comes stock with a 20mm IS adapter along with a 160mm rear rotor.
    You will need a 40mm IS adapter to do 180mm on the rear.

    The front comes equiped with a 160mm and a direct mount caliper.

    The front will require a 20mm POST adapter to do a 180
    or a 40mm POST adapter to do a 200

    I have a 40mm IS adapter along with two 180mm Centerline rotors NIB if you are interested.

  99. #499
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    3
    Great to find this thread! Just orders a 2016 blev frameset that i found on sale. Going to bild it up from scratch

  100. #500
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    3
    Does anyone know the Weight of the BB frame?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Wilderness Expansion
    By park baker in forum North & South Carolina
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 06-19-2014, 05:04 PM
  2. Expansion in the Santans
    By scoottay in forum Arizona
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-27-2013, 07:44 PM
  3. WRT eastern expansion
    By RighteousTrail in forum Oregon
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 04-19-2012, 08:33 AM
  4. A Passion for Expansion! Can you help?
    By screampint in forum Riding Passion and Stories
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 02-16-2012, 02:52 PM
  5. Heat Expansion?
    By QLOT9Q in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-10-2011, 10:53 PM

Members who have read this thread: 81

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.